Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

Forgot to upload the sunsweet pic.

420-magazine-mobile613381977.jpg

Re: Doc Bud - High Brix Q&A With Pictures

I have a cheese that started flowing early and stretched like crazy in just a couple of days. I think it was stress from leaving it outside to long and it stated getting shade before I got it back in one day shortly after I topped it.

The other hb plant I have doesn't show any signs though even though it was in the same conditions. I think it's just a lot heartier of strain (nirvana pure power plant). The cheese has been showing yellow leaves on the lower fans pretty much it's whole life. It's starting to get curled leaves on the flowers which I think is a sign of revegging.

420-magazine-mobile1986311296.jpg

For comparison the Ppp on the left in the next picture is only 16 days older. It has been fimmed, which didn't take, so I tried topping it which I think ended up being a fim. I just topped again, all of the Lst branches in the lower half. 12 colas should become 24, yes, I want a beast of a plant. Plus I want to take the top branches for clones. So it's had plenty done to it that should have slowed it down in relation to the cheese.

420-magazine-mobile1245413878.jpg

Btw I thought I'd include my brandywine and sunsweet tomatoes I'm growing hb as well. The sunsweet in regular soil last year tasted like candy already. I'm excited to taste them in hb.

420-magazine-mobile878412651.jpg

Yes, that one plant has photoperiod stress. It's going to look funky and weird for the duration.

Hey Doc I have been reading some of your older journals and stumbled upon the fact that you had been using a swamp cooler to help with humidity in your grow space. My humidity is usually on the low side and I feel things suffer because of it. So to the point I have started looking into getting one but they all seem to want an open door or window in order to work right which isn't really an option in a tent. Do you think one would work in a tent if it sat in front of the in take? Are you able to set them to run til a certain rh is achieved or would I need a controller? And I see it mentioned that they need to be filled as often as every 4 hours, was that the case in your experience? Thanks for reading and I hope you or another can give me some insight on this.

Hey there! Sorry if this has already been answered. I had high temps and low hum. I built one of these Homemade Evap. Air Cooler - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Swamp Cooler! DIY - can be solar powered! - YouTube was very surprised how well it worked! Pretty cheap and works great. Just add a small amount of bleach to the water once a week or so. I will need to be filled once every day. Also, I had problems with the push pin holes, they kept closing up. So I took a needle in vise grips, heated it up and ran it through the hose real quick. I gives a small stream instead of a drip but I works very well. Good luck!!

Edit: BTW I used a 120v pump and fan. I wasn't concerned with running it off solar like the one in the video can.

Left home for a week and came back home to find some nice frostiness! Plan on taking a nug after harvest to have testing done. I have some hydro Blue Dream that I will also test for shits and giggles.

About the soil, what gets depleted in the soil to stop a 4th run? Also, should there be anything added to soil that has sat for awhile? I have a batch that has been cooking since Feb.

Left home for a week and came back home to find some nice frostiness! Plan on taking a nug after harvest to have testing done. I have some hydro Blue Dream that I will also test for shits and giggles.

About the soil, what gets depleted in the soil to stop a 4th run? Also, should there be anything added to soil that has sat for awhile? I have a batch that has been cooking since Feb.

Great to hear about your upcoming harvest. I think you'll be very pleased.

4th run soil isn't depleted...it's too salty. If you wish to continue using it, you must cut in fresh Promix. Smokey McFly has a great example of this on his journal, recent 10 pages I think.

For soil that's sat for a while, you can wet it down with a weak Tea solution if it's dry., been frozen or superheated. Otherwise, normal use is fine.

I have an interesting question, Doc.

I've done some strain searching, looking for possible root strains for your Lemon Paki, and I've come across a few with genetics that sorta match up to the name, at least. I'd like to get a taste of more Thai strains, but they must be a true bitch to work with because they're rare. I find all sorts of strains with Thai in their heritage, but it's usually diluted down to something that's unrecognizable as a Thai. The few that seem true are male-leaning, hermie-prone fluffy messes. Hence the necessary "afghan" cross. But there are some strains with strong Thai influence that are still very manageable, and I think yours is probably one of them.

So ... I was wondering about extracting desired genetic combinations from pheno hunting with a likely strain. A couple years ago I did some work for an agricultural seed company who was introducing new genetics looking for desirable traits. Their goal was to combine genetics, but I was growing at the time, and my interest was in extracting genetics. It was fascinating work though, measuring and analyzing wildly differing phenos of wheat, holding the actual test plot plants in your hand and seeing the differences.

How long does it take to hit paydirt that way? Several generations I'm sure, but is it even likely? How many iterations before you could extract a great progenitor from the combined genes in the cross? I should research the breeders but I figure we have a lot of combined knowledge in this journal. :cheesygrinsmiley: Do genes get mixed so much that an original can't be expected to emerge again? I don't really like the idea of constantly combining genes. I'd rather work with the earlier stock, y'know? For instance, a strain like Amnesia is rather complicated but apparently quite stable. Y Griega is Amnesia x Kali Mist. Could Kali Mist be extracted from that cross through a pheno hunt?

:hmmmm::hmmmm:

gt, your post motivated me to dig deeper regarding Doc's Lemon Paki. I came across the following on 420 - Landrace forum? I wouldn't say the info is definitive, but it does seem to give more info on how the Lemon Paki "may" have originated. In addition, if accurate, the piece also provides some history of whom the 'players' were and how certain strains got started, etc. Fun!

In late '93 John from Grass Valley Ca. got the Chem Dog cut. He shared it with me, Jerry(cowboy) from Dibble Creek Ca. and Harold(Putz) from Sunset Beach Ca. Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush. Putz bred the secret ingredient to the Chem Dog. The buds that came out of this cross were going around So. L.A. county in '95. Someone told Putz that Kush must be so good because it was mountain grown. Putz laughed and told him "this Kush is Ocean Grown Kush bro". The tag stuck and it became known as OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz married a girl from New Zealand. Before moving there he sent cuts of his OG to me and Bob(beans) in Salinas Ca. He gave all his P1 stock and all the remaining seed he had to ****(mad dog) from Downey Ca. In late '96 **** sold some seed to some guys in the Valley. That's where the San Fernando Valley cut of OG comes from. It's like the Original only more sat in pheno type. **** sold a cut of the original to a guy in Orange county and that cut is called Larry today. It's still around Orange county. **** sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe. As far as I know he never let anyone else have it.
Jerry bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt county indica boy. This was the beginning of his cubing proccess. At BX3 he got a pheno that had all the smell, taste and kick of the Chem Dog, but in a pure indica pheno. Jerry gave this plant to Bob. It became known as the West Coast Dog.
Bob bred this plant to my Old World Kush male. He took a male from that cross and bred it to the OG cut Putz had sent him. This is what made the original Bubba Kush."

Lineage:ChemDawg x [ Lemon Thai x Old World Paki Kush]

....I've heard from reliable sources the Ghost was an F1 from the original OG Kush breeding, and with it came the F1 hybrid vigour. Being a Paki Kush x Thai lemon. Being a Paki Kush x Thai lemon crossed to a cutting of Chemdog supposedly.

Heheh, I remember thinking the same thing when I first read that. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush.

The location ... the era ... the term "secret ingredient" ... :hmmmm:

gt, your post motivated me to dig deeper regarding Doc's Lemon Paki. I came across the following on 420 - Landrace forum? I wouldn't say the info is definitive, but it does seem to give more info on how the Lemon Paki "may" have originated. In addition, if accurate, the piece also provides some history of whom the 'players' were and how certain strains got started, etc. Fun!

In late '93 John from Grass Valley Ca. got the Chem Dog cut. He shared it with me, Jerry(cowboy) from Dibble Creek Ca. and Harold(Putz) from Sunset Beach Ca. Putz had a male he called the secret ingredient. It was a cross of Lemon Thai and an Old World Paki Kush. Putz bred the secret ingredient to the Chem Dog. The buds that came out of this cross were going around So. L.A. county in '95. Someone told Putz that Kush must be so good because it was mountain grown. Putz laughed and told him "this Kush is Ocean Grown Kush bro". The tag stuck and it became known as OG Kush. In the spring of '96 Putz married a girl from New Zealand. Before moving there he sent cuts of his OG to me and Bob(beans) in Salinas Ca. He gave all his P1 stock and all the remaining seed he had to ****(mad dog) from Downey Ca. In late '96 **** sold some seed to some guys in the Valley. That's where the San Fernando Valley cut of OG comes from. It's like the Original only more sat in pheno type. **** sold a cut of the original to a guy in Orange county and that cut is called Larry today. It's still around Orange county. **** sent one other cut of the original OG to a breeder in Europe. As far as I know he never let anyone else have it.
Jerry bred his Chem Dog cut to a Humboldt county indica boy. This was the beginning of his cubing proccess. At BX3 he got a pheno that had all the smell, taste and kick of the Chem Dog, but in a pure indica pheno. Jerry gave this plant to Bob. It became known as the West Coast Dog.
Bob bred this plant to my Old World Kush male. He took a male from that cross and bred it to the OG cut Putz had sent him. This is what made the original Bubba Kush."

Lineage:ChemDawg x [ Lemon Thai x Old World Paki Kush]

....I've heard from reliable sources the Ghost was an F1 from the original OG Kush breeding, and with it came the F1 hybrid vigour. Being a Paki Kush x Thai lemon. Being a Paki Kush x Thai lemon crossed to a cutting of Chemdog supposedly.

MMM, (+) reps for this info. :thumb:

Awesome Gaffle, +Reps to ya!

Hey there! Sorry if this has already been answered. I had high temps and low hum. I built one of these Homemade Evap. Air Cooler - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Swamp Cooler! DIY - can be solar powered! - YouTube was very surprised how well it worked! Pretty cheap and works great. Just add a small amount of bleach to the water once a week or so. I will need to be filled once every day. Also, I had problems with the push pin holes, they kept closing up. So I took a needle in vise grips, heated it up and ran it through the hose real quick. I gives a small stream instead of a drip but I works very well. Good luck!!

Edit: BTW I used a 120v pump and fan. I wasn't concerned with running it off solar like the one in the video can.

Thanks man this looks pretty sweet what sort of pump did you use? And where can you get that mat material? Seems like this could be useful :thumb:

Thanks man this looks pretty sweet what sort of pump did you use? And where can you get that mat material? Seems like this could be useful :thumb:

I used a 100-120 GPH fountain pump from blowes as well as 1/2 I.D. tubing from there. There is window screen between the blue pad and the bucket to keep the water from weeping out. The blue mat I had to order, didn't have any local. Maybe you'll have more luck!! Amazon: Dial 3070 Duracool Pad, 24" x 30"

1666656983878.png

Using this I dropped my temps by 6-9 degrees and raised the humidity by 10-20%. Just have to make sure you get good pad saturation, and just for peace of mind set the bucket in a saucer like you would a plant. Just incase a little water leaks outa one of those holes. You would need to top it off everyday and add a bit of bleach to kill the bacteria and mold once a week or so.

Quick question. I am about to add recharge tonight. I have bulk recharge so was wondering the weight to add for 12 plants in 10 gallon pots?

If it helps, a regular "kit" has 1 pound in it. Sounds like about 2.5 pounds would do it.

Back
Top Bottom