DocBud's Next Medical Grow

Beautiful looking girls Doc. What kind of compost do you use for your tea? I was wondering if I can make compost tea out of composted sheep manure.

From what I understand...if your water is as bad as mine, you have to mix your tap water with RO water for EVERY watering and not only for when you feed. (I might be wrong here, but I think I understand now). The high levels of Mag and Ca will "lock out" other elements and your girls will not be able to absorb all the minerals and nutrients they need.
I might be mistaken so if anybody can confirm my conclusion, I would really appreciate that.

Don't install a water softener that uses salt crystals to soften the water as it will add too much sodium and your plants won't do well.

Don't install a water softener that uses salt crystals to soften the water as it will add too much sodium and your plants won't do well.

Man I'm sure glad I'm on these forums. Thanks a lot SS. I almost went out and bought one but after you posted this reply I went online and did some research on how the softeners work. Would have totally screwed up my water. When I was debating about buying a softener I also thought about the R/O system...so I guess I'll go with the R/O. Thanks again SS.

Great smoke report, SS!

Do you, by pure chance, happen to know how that Jack Herer was grown?

Mine was done in soil, with OC+ as the nutrient source, supplemented with compost tea, molasses, some micro nutes and Snowstorm Ultra.

Why, that's exactly how the JH I sampled was grown, down to the last detail!

This JH burned very clean and was some of the best tasting herb I've smoked, so the OC+ worked great.

Oh.....as you know I'm growing PPP this time around. I'm hoping to tune and balance that V8 you speak of with the organic blend. So far, so good. Quite a strong smell and we're still vegging....nothing other than dirt and "stuff," in the soil, as outlined earlier in this journal.

Now that it's cured longer, my PPP has improved considerably and has a pretty nice piney, minty skunkiness. I bet your soil blend will bring out even more aroma and flavor.

Mine was very low in odor during the grow, so that may have to do with hempy versus soil. It had a nice fresh light skunky aroma, but even with the 8 plants going, odor was very low.

I'll get some pics tonite. Growth rate is stupid. I'm going to need Bushmaster on these girls, 'cuz I'm going to veg for 2 more weeks most likely. They've been topped twice and pruned twice.....5-7 main colas per plant.....I'm thinking about 5 oz per plant the way it looks now.

wow, that would be quite a haul! It's good to know that PPP has this kind of yield potential, because it's a keeper strain for me.

:goodjob:

Beautiful looking girls Doc. What kind of compost do you use for your tea? I was wondering if I can make compost tea out of composted sheep manure.

I'm using Bu's blend, from Malibu compost. It's a biodynamic, organic compost. I used it in the vegetable garden this year.....excellent! The soil has 1 cup of compost per 3 gallons of soil. The tea is in addition to that.

You can make all sorts of compost tea, from all kinds of things. The one I'm using is from steer manure and a bunch of other stuff.....wonderful things.

For whatever reason, I think I've hit on something special with this soil. You'd have to see it and smell it, and watch the water disappear when you water to see what I'm talking about. It drains really well....and no added perlite.

I think I've got a deal with the guy who did the PPP clones.....I'm going to give him a Jack Herer mom and he can clone and grow to his hearts content, as long as I can buy them from him when I need 'em.

Thanks Doc, I'll keep that in mind. I actually bought a few 35lb bags of composted sheep manure at the end of the gardening season on sale for $2 a bag so I'm set. I was going to use them this coming spring in the garden but I will also use them to make tea for my girls.

On another note, you guys here are awesome at solving problems. I was wondering something. A couple of my seedlings have this dark red hue in their new leaves. Does anyone know what it is? Should I worry? There's OC+ in the soil but other than that I didn't feed them anything. All my girls were placed into exactly the same soil (I mixed it in a big bucket) and only 2 are showing that red hue. I do have some pictures of the leaves on my journal page if anyone would be so kind as to check it out...I would really appreciate that.

Thanks Doc, I'll keep that in mind. I actually bought a few 35lb bags of composted sheep manure at the end of the gardening season on sale for $2 a bag so I'm set. I was going to use them this coming spring in the garden but I will also use them to make tea for my girls.

On another note, you guys here are awesome at solving problems. I was wondering something. A couple of my seedlings have this dark red hue in their new leaves. Does anyone know what it is? Should I worry? There's OC+ in the soil but other than that I didn't feed them anything. All my girls were placed into exactly the same soil (I mixed it in a big bucket) and only 2 are showing that red hue. I do have some pictures of the leaves on my journal page if anyone would be so kind as to check it out...I would really appreciate that.

What are your temps? Is there a cold draft that could be blowing on those plants? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

The OC+ has got you covered with regard to nutrients, so temps is probably the cause.....in a statistical sense.

What are your temps? Is there a cold draft that could be blowing on those plants? That's the first thing that comes to mind.

The OC+ has got you covered with regard to nutrients, so temps is probably the cause.....in a statistical sense.

Thanks Doc. I think that's exactly it. I have my closet in the basement and in order to keep the space from overheating, I have to keep the door to the closet open. It gets pretty cool in the basement at night and although I keep a heater in the closet, there are cold drafts in there. Is this a big problem?

Update.

We finally have a full garden, with 4 very good medical strains going:

Querkle
Pure Power Plant
3rd. Dimension. (3D) new clones
Blue Dream. barely spouuting.

I fed the PPP's 1/2 cup of Tomato Tone each. No OC+ yet...maybe after week 2 of flower.

No other feeding or nutes other than compost tea once, and mollasses twice. Everything is green and nearly perfect, my best grow yet.

I wish I had better pics, I'll try to get some with the lights out soon.

IMG_13425.JPG

IMG_13439.JPG

IMG_134410.JPG

The Querkle:
I've never seen a plant stretch like this in veg. 4 inches in height almost overnight when we let the nightime temps drop a bit.
IMG_13456.JPG

PPP:
I can't wait to flower these plants.
IMG_13467.JPG

Hey Doc,

Looking forward to your next updated. I have followed your other threads and just wanted to give u a big thank you :) for all the time and effort you put in, the education I have gotten from you and many others on this site is invaluable:grinjoint: lookin forward to some naked ladies pics!:smokin:

Bud

Update:

I'll be sharing more in the coming weeks, as we have now entered the bloom phase.

The plants still haven't gotten a feeding, other than compost tea and micronutes....the soil is still giving them plenty of nutrition, huge, green, waxy leaves, crazy growth...very nice.

I gave each plant a scoop of Tomato Tone, in anticipation of their needs during stretch. That will probably be the only feeding I give them. I'm hoping the soil will have enough nutes to take them well into flower and then fade. That's the idea, anyway.

I'll give them compost tea, micro's, mollasses and Snowstorm with waterings.

The compost tea is Bu's blend, from malibu compost, a bio-dynamic, organic operation with really great products. I brew it 5 gallons at a time by adding worm castings, 2 bags of compost, and mollasses, letting it brew with an airstone.

IMG_13515.JPG

I also foliar feed the compost tea about 6 hours before I water. I turn up the RH to about 80%, give them a generous misting of compost tea, and them water/flush them, dropping the RH back down to about 50%. It works really well. This is the best grow I've done yet.
Here are some random shots.

The Querkles have passed up the PPP in height, mainly because I've topped the PPP twice. The PPP are going to have 6-8 main colas, while the querkle will have one.
IMG_13487.JPG

IMG_13498.JPG

Here in the background you see the 3rd Dimension, a Subcool strain. The seedlings are Blue Dream.
IMG_13556.JPG

So, this grow we've got:

Pure Power Plant---the Sativa dominant strain
Querkle---an Indica strain that should taste great and turn purple, red, black, etc.
3rd. Dimension---60/40 sativa
Blue Dream---mainly Sativa

I'm hoping for highly resinous, amazing tasting, mind-blowing weed. So far, so good.

IMG_13525.JPG

IMG_13534.JPG

IMG_13544.JPG

IMG_13567.JPG

I've seen rain forests that aren't that lush Doc!

Stop by my grow sometime and see your goddaughters, they miss you :) Don't let on but their days are growing short.

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Damn, DocBud, that garden is looking very, very good!! Looks like you got the soil going on, I bet the taste is going to be out of this world, bro!! Great job!!

I've seen rain forests that aren't that lush Doc!

Stop by my grow sometime and see your goddaughters, they miss you :) Don't let on but their days are growing short.

thanks bro! And i did stop by your grow. . . you've got some really nice buds going on there!

YEEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! Damn, DocBud, that garden is looking very, very good!! Looks like you got the soil going on, I bet the taste is going to be out of this world, bro!! Great job!!

This soil is simply amazing. I've never had growth like this, even in hempy. The finished product is what counts, but if things keep going the way they are now, I'll definitely raise the bar for my personal grows.

Back
Top Bottom