DocBud's Next Medical Grow

Doc, I have a question for you on the CRF's. I started a new grow and have been using Jackson & Perkins Rose food (it's labeled by J&P, but made by Dynamite, is 14-5-10 w/ micronutrients). The amount of the CRF added was right at the instructions on the package, which called for 6 tablespoons in a 3-gallon pot. The medium that I am using is Sunshine Mix #2 (no added nutrient package) cut 50/50 with perlite, and a bit of lime added. I have been sporadically testing the runoff and am confused about my findings! The EC, as read on a BlueLab truncheon, vary from early readings of 1.4 to 1.8 to my current readings of 3.2 to 3.6. There have been no additions made to the nute levels in this time period other than a weekly application of a more complete micronutrient package. The plants, which should be burned to a crisp, seem to be happy as hell. I was wondering if you had any light to shed on this, or am I just suffering from too much information? I appreciate any information that you might have, and I always enjoy reading your journals.

Doc, I have a question for you on the CRF's. I started a new grow and have been using Jackson & Perkins Rose food (it's labeled by J&P, but made by Dynamite, is 14-5-10 w/ micronutrients). The amount of the CRF added was right at the instructions on the package, which called for 6 tablespoons in a 3-gallon pot. The medium that I am using is Sunshine Mix #2 (no added nutrient package) cut 50/50 with perlite, and a bit of lime added. I have been sporadically testing the runoff and am confused about my findings! The EC, as read on a BlueLab truncheon, vary from early readings of 1.4 to 1.8 to my current readings of 3.2 to 3.6. There have been no additions made to the nute levels in this time period other than a weekly application of a more complete micronutrient package. The plants, which should be burned to a crisp, seem to be happy as hell. I was wondering if you had any light to shed on this, or am I just suffering from too much information? I appreciate any information that you might have, and I always enjoy reading your journals.

The plants are happy as hell you say?

Hmmm....let me think about a way to complicate your life and screw up your grow and I'll get back to you. Do you have about 1000 bucks to spend? You'll need more tools and products.

We can cause some problems and buy stuff that could fix the problems we caused.....could be as simple as a couple feedings of Bud Factor X mixed with Kushy Kush, B 52 and Bud Ignitor.

Then, we can test the runoff, and determine that a weeklong flush will help them recover....so we'll do that.

At this point, the medium and the water is likely the problem. So, we'll get test solutions for a brand new pH meter, and pH the water and see if that helps.

At this point, we can blame the nutes and swear to never use them again, but stick with an expensive package from one of the big nute companies.

Of course, all of this help is contingent on getting your currently healthy, happy plants to look like crap, so we can set the plan in motion....

What changes do you want to make to screw up your garden first?

Sorry bro....I'm in a strange mood today....

On a serious note, I suspect the micronute feedings are increasing the EC readings, because they are electrolytes. You might be over feeding micro's because your CRF's have them too....maybe straight water and less frequent micro feedings? You can always add more at the first sign of a problem, but once the over feeding starts you must scramble and the damage is already done.

What are the PPM's of the runoff compared with the water?

High Doc, grow looking awesome. I'm also looking for your opinion on something. I was reading another member's journal and he wrote that he used H2O2 in his watering on a regular basis (every other watering). I was intrigued so I asked him to expand on it and this is what he wrote:

There are many reasons that I use H2O2.
One - Adds oxygen to the water which is good for roots.
Two - Disenfects the water of any pathogens.
Three - When applied to roots it only harms the bad bacteria and does not harm the good bacteira in a roots microsystem.

I use 30% H2O2 but 3% just has more mineral water so 3/4 strength for either. I use 1 mil/gallon max so 10 mil/gallon of a 3% version.

H2O2 is in simple terms, liquid oxygen... or oxygen enritched water. Funny how adding an unstable molecule of oxygen(o) to water (h2o) it changes it in such a way.

The root system is the most overlooked acpect for new growers. A healthy well managed root system will produce a well developed plant. :)

For your other Q, I vegged it from seed for 5 weeks after first growth, 7 weeks from germination.

Jonny

I would really appreciate your input. :thanks:

High Doc, grow looking awesome. I'm also looking for your opinion on something. I was reading another member's journal and he wrote that he used H2O2 in his watering on a regular basis (every other watering). I was intrigued so I asked him to expand on it and this is what he wrote:

I would really appreciate your input. :thanks:

H202 is a powerful oxidizing agent. Basically, it releases a Hydroxyl group HO+ which is just amazingly reactive and will steal electrons from anything. It rips up cells membranes and is especially deadly to DNA. It is 100% lethal to most bacteria, especially those that live in low oxygen environment, like root zones. The idea that it only kills bad bacteria and lets the good ones live is pure mythology with no basis in fact.....it will kill the good and bad with equal success.

That's not a personal attack on the grower who is using this H202....I'm sure he's a great guy, or he wouldn't be posting on such a fine forum. I'm merely commenting on the factual, actual chemistry of H202 and what it does to cells.

H202 is a great idea in hydro and soiless mediums, where you don't want bacteria, but the whole point in soil is all that life in the medium....and H202 will kill it.

On a serious note, I suspect the micronute feedings are increasing the EC readings, because they are electrolytes. You might be over feeding micro's because your CRF's have them too....maybe straight water and less frequent micro feedings? You can always add more at the first sign of a problem, but once the over feeding starts you must scramble and the damage is already done.

What are the PPM's of the runoff compared with the water?

The EC of the inbound micro's is only .4, where the runoff has jumped to 3.2-3.6 from 1.4-1.8 a week ago. Water straight from the tap will not even register on the meter. At this point, I am trying to monitor what is going on to establish a baseline for "normal" so that I have some data to work with if things go sour, and potentially for adjusting the amount of CRF's added to future grows. The earlier readings are what I would expect - the current ones are completely beyond my expectations. Perhaps the EC isn't a valid measure with these nutes, I know it doesn't work with organics.

The EC of the inbound micro's is only .4, where the runoff has jumped to 3.2-3.6 from 1.4-1.8 a week ago. Water straight from the tap will not even register on the meter. At this point, I am trying to monitor what is going on to establish a baseline for "normal" so that I have some data to work with if things go sour, and potentially for adjusting the amount of CRF's added to future grows. The earlier readings are what I would expect - the current ones are completely beyond my expectations. Perhaps the EC isn't a valid measure with these nutes, I know it doesn't work with organics.

It would be interesting to see what happens if you took some of the micro's and put them in a glass of water for 24 hours, then measure the EC.

But the bottom line is that your plants are happy. They are a far more accurate than EC, runoff, etc.

Lot's of work today!

I pruned the PPP yet again. Got a whole hefty bag full of leaves and tiny buds. These plants are going to produce like nothing I've ever seen.
IMG_13657.JPG

IMG_13669.JPG

The red lines are where I prune, up and down the plant, all sides. I put the plant on a small table, with light on the other side of the plant, which helps me see where to prune, and then I snip away. The idea is to clean up the little stuff, that will only result in popcorn, and let the plant concentrate on the main cola's. 8 or more on each of the plants.

IMG_13678.JPG

Here's what they look like after the bikini wax:
IMG_136810.JPG

And here they are back in place after their day at the spa:
IMG_13708.JPG

I also gave each plant a small dose of OC+, they were starting to fade just a bit early. My thinking is that it will keep them going for a few weeks, then they'll fade at the right time. I can also add more tomato tone if needed.

Random shots:
IMG_13635.JPG

IMG_13648.JPG

IMG_13718.JPG

Got a whole hefty bag full of leaves from the pruning
IMG_13729.JPG

Looks great Doc. I'm going to prune heavily for my next run too.

I'm stoned on kick-ass AK48 that I grew :tokin:

Careful pruning is a must! One of the reasons I like 12/12 grows is because you don't have to prune much...but I've gotten some good results with vegging, so I'm kinda dragging my feet on the 12/12.

Probably do one light that way next grow, and make some seeds.

All these femmed seeds really blow....you're basically stuck making clones, can't breed unless you screw up the genetics.

OH....NICE JOB on the successfull harvest! Smoking your own is....well, all is right in the world when you get high off your own labor! Well done bro!

Pretty impressive for 3000watts:high-five:plants look amazing:grinjoint:

We got just under 5 last run....but don't look at it like 3000 watts....the movers make it more like 4000 watts.

If you keep the plants at the right density, use quality soil and stay away from Pot-specific nutrients, it's not hard to do.

On this grow, I'm not using a single pot specific nute....except snowstorm, which I haven't started just yet.

I did get a nice package of swag from being member of the month....SNS products. I used the mite spray after giving the girls a haircut and I must say I like it!

So here's a plug for SNS, and thanks 420 mag, for the swag!

Man they look awesome doc! Makes me want to live alone so I can go nuts like that. I know I need to upgrade my lights before I get anything like that. I have my room dialed in perfect just don't have the cash to get a fancy light setup. Any thoughts on where I could get a 400w switchable. Hopefully a cheap one, even used would be great. I am really hurting for some more light. And I hate cfls so I'm not going that way. I'm pretty much stuck. Everything I have is home made and diy. Even my reflector is made from a sheet of aluminum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Great grow very industrial looking. Hope you get a whole bunch doc! Thank you in advance cause I know your the man.

Man they look awesome doc! Makes me want to live alone so I can go nuts like that. I know I need to upgrade my lights before I get anything like that. I have my room dialed in perfect just don't have the cash to get a fancy light setup. Any thoughts on where I could get a 400w switchable. Hopefully a cheap one, even used would be great. I am really hurting for some more light. And I hate cfls so I'm not going that way. I'm pretty much stuck. Everything I have is home made and diy. Even my reflector is made from a sheet of aluminum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Great grow very industrial looking. Hope you get a whole bunch doc! Thank you in advance cause I know your the man.

Why not get a ceramic metal halide light and hang it like a bare bulb, vertically?
You could spend less than 300.00 on that. Craig's list?

Hey Doc, what are your thoughts on the "smart pots", "root pots", or whatever brand you're using? Thx, and great job as usual!

I like 'em! But, I'm not sure if they're that much better than regular pots with wicks. One thing I can tell you for sure, if you use one of these fabric pots make sure your medium drains well, because otherwise all the water leaks through the walls of the pot.

They work fine, however....just not a quantum leap.

Back
Top Bottom