Gozgrow's First Time Grow! First Time Aeroponic & 10 Plants

Re: Gozgrows first time grow! First time aeroponic, and 10 plants.

image5967.jpg
image5968.jpg

So I have decided instead of trimming up the old canopy and getting rid of the forest I have going on, I'm going to add two power strips of 3- 2700k cfl under the cannopy, unfortunately I have run super low on funds lol. If I'd quit breaking things I'd be in a better spot. So here is a picture of the first of two power strips I'm putting in. Fits nicely and doesn't touch the plant any. Now I will need to keep a close eye under there and make sure it's not doing any harm. Cost me around 19.00$ with out the power strip. So now I'm saving up to install the second one.
image5964.jpg
image5963.jpg
image5962.jpg
image5961.jpg
image5960.jpg

Here are the pictures of my poor clones, I can't figurine out what's going on with them. So I am going to take a shot at being over watered. I water 15 min every 3 hours keep in mind they are in rapid rooters and hydroton. So I have cut the watering in half. 15 min every 6 hours and I have decided to cut back on the foliar for a bit. I feel like they are drowning on me. I pulled one out yesterday to see if it had roots and it had a tiny little root, so I'm guessing they all do have roots and they are just getting way too much water.
image5965.jpg
image5966.jpg

I have built my Scrog for my tent. It's 40" x 40" and It will be around 20" which is approx 5" above my res,and I have made the squares each 1.5 inches instead of two I felt two inches was two far in my closet I couldn't ever pull a node from one square to another and get it to stay. Notice how there pvc is bowing I made the string tighter on this one two I didn't like how loose the one in my closet is, now I need some serious help brainstorming some ideas. Once my plants hit the screen and are all discombobulated by it and my constant pulling and tugging tie three in knots, how do I lift the lid to sterilize the res once a week and add nutrients? Only thing I can think of is to maybe use the empty 3" holes? Or maybe cut an access door if I cut an access door how do I keep it water proof? Any and all suggestions welcome, I am stumped nothing will be a stupid idea. And any comment or suggestion is welcome even if it's a critical one. Any way thank you to all who check and read my journal.

So I have decided that I must do a major defoil. I was just in my closet and all the plants are just bunched up under the screen. I'm worried if I leave it be I may lose yield, or even all the plants. Too many plants not enough room as I was worried about. I know defoil during flower is very controversial. And to most a no no. But what I'm seeing is leaves wilting under the screen from not being able to breathe. I'm worried about mold, possibly even so many bud sites being covered up that my grow is going to suffer. From what I have read most people are doing the defoil after the stretch which seems to be 21 days so I figure if I wait till day 25 I should be ok. So I guess we are about to see first hand what happens when you defoil during flower. Does anyone checking my journal do this ever?

No news about clones today yet, I wish they would decide to die or live lol so I can move on and plant some seeds orangey some established clones. I hope they pull through though.

image6007.jpg
image6008.jpg
image6009.jpg

So I have done the unthinkable! I did a major defoil during my third week of flower. I'm really glad I did because all of the bud sites were trapped under the scrog covered by massive fan leaves. I knew it was going to get outta control. The only thing I hope is I didn't induce so much stress they hermie on me. The whole time I was clipping fan leaves I would open up more bud sites at first it was really hard for me to do it. I haven't read much from anyone doing this. The more I clipped and the more I got the bud sites pulled up and out from under he cannopy the better if felt and the easier it got. I know I did the right thing. If they hermie I guess I'll have some crappy smoke and a lot of seeds to plant for the next round. I plan on doing at most 3 plants in this closet system from now on. Just too cramped a space and not enough room for them to grow. I peeked into the closet today after work and saw all the Budsites and today feel I still did the right thing. One of the plants the nodes are so tight I can't even get in to clip any fans for fear I may clip something I don't want too. I also ended up breaking a few of the colas off while doing work and that is kind of hard but in the end I had to clip the leaves. Who here actually defoils during flower and what results do you get? And if you hang in on this one with me you will see how it effects my ladies.

Just checked in on the clones. They are showing some signs of improvement in there lifeless limp leaves. They are starting to lift up and look like they are going to pull through. I think changing the timer and adding the mycorrhizae was a big improvement, now to get them to show some new growth and I'll be outta the woods and up and growing smoke .

wow man you have been through the wars with your grow! Glad you took the plunge and cut the leaves off, i think it's the right decision if they were wilting and dying. I hope they start growing better now. The way I see it is this is all a learning curve for us and this is how you learn best! I am looking at Chronic and Kali mist for my next grow but we have to take a break inbetween grows for a house inspection :( Keep the journal going :)

wow man you have been through the wars with your grow! Glad you took the plunge and cut the leaves off, i think it's the right decision if they were wilting and dying. I hope they start growing better now. The way I see it is this is all a learning curve for us and this is how you learn best! I am looking at Chronic and Kali mist for my next grow but we have to take a break inbetween grows for a house inspection :( Keep the journal going :)
Yeah I knew I was going to have issues in flower I did a lot of homework before starting my grow, missed the key fact the plants at least double in size during flower. Oops lol,But I'm managing it. They haven't really slowed down much they are still stretching like they were before the defoil. And the Budsites are sitting more at the top of the scrog now just where I need them. I have moved the cfls out of under the canopy now and it's sitting In front below the scrog, on top of the Rez. Wasn't a very good idea to put them under the canopy lol created heat that wouldn't leave the area very quickly found a few dead leaves and belched stems during defoil so decided not to ever do that again lol.
My clones have really perked up. Once I see roots busting through the rapid rooters I will start adding my light dose of advanced nutrients. I think they are going to make it yay. Taking a break between grows kinda sucks. My parents are selling there house and moving in with me. So they are going to share a basement with my grow, but they know I grow so it's ok. And I have a medical card so I'm legit. Until the state takes over the marijuana business and takes away the ability for medical patients to grow legally. I'm really excited to see how my plants react to the super stripping I did. So far so good :) thanks for checking my journal out guys and gals. I'll post pictures tommorrow at lights on.
Oh one question before I go. Has anyone ever used the fish tank led lights that simulate the sunrise and sunset and darkness and everything. I was at a house and looks like it did wonders for her coral.

image6042.jpg
image6041.jpg
image6040.jpg
image6039.jpg

Here they are at around 2.5 weeks of flowering. Long day at work so gonna be a short post.

I checked clones and one had roots just exploding out the bottom and three others are just kicking ass but no roots through the rapid roots on them yet. And one is looking like it is def not gonna make it. Good night everyone and thanks for checkin out my ladies.

subscribed. the purple colour of your stems may from a calcium and magnesium deficiency, some have suggested it is a phosphorous deficiency. If you are using Reverse Osmosis water you will need to supplement with calcium and magnesium to make up for what is lacking in the water. calcium and magnesium should be discontinued 3 weeks before harvest. I defoliate in vegetative growth and flowering by removing lower growth and any leaves that shade bud sites.

subscribed. the purple colour of your stems may from a calcium and magnesium deficiency, some have suggested it is a phosphorous deficiency. If you are using Reverse Osmosis water you will need to supplement with calcium and magnesium to make up for what is lacking in the water. calcium and magnesium should be discontinued 3 weeks before harvest. I defoliate in vegetative growth and flowering by removing lower growth and any leaves that shade bud sites.

I will pick up some cal/mag asap and see if that changes anything. I don't have an RO system yet but it's in the plan for the future. Thank you for stopping by and checking out my grow. And makes me feel better when a veteran grower defoils during veg.

L.A. I haven't posted on your threads but I see your quite a busy man. Lol I'm actually jealouse your seedlings are taking off better than my clones. I'm happy you had time to stop by and check it out. And also glad you defoil during flower also.

I'm happy both You veteran growers stopped by thank you.

to multiple quote at the bottom of a post next to the "Reply With Quote" there is a "+" button that you click to add more reply with quotes then hit "Reply With Quote" when you are ready to reply.

Hey Goz! I subbed a few days ago, but some hectic days prevented me from reading and getting current, but I finally made it. I am/was in a similar boat as you. My last grow, I almost intended to fail right off the bat just so I can learn through application. I see you have made many of the same mistakes, so I hope you've learned. I thought for sure you took too many leaves off, but I see the girls bounced right back. I attribute this to the way you're growing (aero?). My last failed grow, I took too many fans while in veg and that cost me dearly in terms of weeks added. I now only remove what I truly feel needs to go, and even still try to resist myself. I have since learned that fans can be moved, tied, LSTed, whatever, but left on if and when possible. They are not only energy collectors and lungs, but also are a store of food for when (not if) I mess up the feed recipe. I am in the 12th day of flower of a single plant. I remove about 4-5 fans a day only, and only fans that I can clearly see have been depleted of anything useful to the plant. Not saying this is the right way as I'm a newb still too, but mentors are teaching me as I go. I will share a link of one of my primary mentors and he has already taken time to address nearly every issue a new grower may face. He has a blog that is continually being updated and also has many complete threads. He is also a proponent of using beneficials so that works well with what you're already doing. His current grow ironically is aeroponic and is further into flower than you so you can see what is ahead.

420 Magazine ® - The Capn's Grow - Blogs

I have some suggestions. When cloning, using extra light is not needed. Actually, I have read that many growers just put their clones on the outskirts of their grow rooms and let the clones bask in incidental light that randomly pokes through the canopy. This is because the clones are focusing on pushing out roots. Once rooted, then growth gets back to the traditional mode. I did some cloning and 4 of 6 lived. The 2 that didn't, I ripped open the rock wool cubes to see what was inside. To my surprise, roots were well on their way to the bottom of the cube, but my lack of patience didn't give them long enough. Also, surface area of fan leaves should be kept small. Small top leaves are fine as is, but larger ones should be cut short and not too many either. Keeping humidity in the dome is only to ensure the new clone doesn't over sweat and dry out that way. So I learned that I should keep light to a minimum and keep humidity high. Also to minimize the amount of surface area of fan leaves so there's not too much for the unrooted plant to support. I will be taking some clones in a day or two and will be planting a lot of seeds to prep for the summer outside. I expect some will live and some will die, but I WILL learn!

Also, SCROG, I suggest using a wire mesh from the hardware store. Using string limits you to pulling a branch down from one cell, and carefully bringing it up through a further from center cell. Using wire mesh, you can just cut the wire, fold it out of the way and move the branch out, then bend the wire back. The net is to help the plant, not plant to help the net. You could buy a roll of mesh and have it for the next 10-15 grows. And if in a bind, you can mask your grow lights with a section of mesh if the upper canopy encroaches the hot zone.

And finally, if you haven't already, I suggest using that massive tent you got as your flower room. I saw the large PVC/string scrog you built, so you may have already decided on this, but I think your life will be difficult if you stick with that scrog net and not use wire mesh.

Check out Capn's blog, and all of his journals. He is as successful of a grower as the rest of our praised vets here on 420 and has outlined most of the issues you have already been tasked with and soo much more.

You will have better success with clones if you don't spray anything on them. This slows what little respiration they are capable of, any impurities in the water will also clog the pores on the leaves the plant needs for respiration.

Hey Goz! I subbed a few days ago, but some hectic days prevented me from reading and getting current, but I finally made it. I am/was in a similar boat as you. My last grow, I almost intended to fail right off the bat just so I can learn through application. I see you have made many of the same mistakes, so I hope you've learned. I thought for sure you took too many leaves off, but I see the girls bounced right back. I attribute this to the way you're growing (aero?). My last failed grow, I took too many fans while in veg and that cost me dearly in terms of weeks added. I now only remove what I truly feel needs to go, and even still try to resist myself. I have since learned that fans can be moved, tied, LSTed, whatever, but left on if and when possible. They are not only energy collectors and lungs, but also are a store of food for when (not if) I mess up the feed recipe. I am in the 12th day of flower of a single plant. I remove about 4-5 fans a day only, and only fans that I can clearly see have been depleted of anything useful to the plant. Not saying this is the right way as I'm a newb still too, but mentors are teaching me as I go. I will share a link of one of my primary mentors and he has already taken time to address nearly every issue a new grower may face. He has a blog that is continually being updated and also has many complete threads. He is also a proponent of using beneficials so that works well with what you're already doing. His current grow ironically is aeroponic and is further into flower than you so you can see what is ahead.

420 Magazine ® - The Capn's Grow - Blogs

I have some suggestions. When cloning, using extra light is not needed. Actually, I have read that many growers just put their clones on the outskirts of their grow rooms and let the clones bask in incidental light that randomly pokes through the canopy. This is because the clones are focusing on pushing out roots. Once rooted, then growth gets back to the traditional mode. I did some cloning and 4 of 6 lived. The 2 that didn't, I ripped open the rock wool cubes to see what was inside. To my surprise, roots were well on their way to the bottom of the cube, but my lack of patience didn't give them long enough. Also, surface area of fan leaves should be kept small. Small top leaves are fine as is, but larger ones should be cut short and not too many either. Keeping humidity in the dome is only to ensure the new clone doesn't over sweat and dry out that way. So I learned that I should keep light to a minimum and keep humidity high. Also to minimize the amount of surface area of fan leaves so there's not too much for the unrooted plant to support. I will be taking some clones in a day or two and will be planting a lot of seeds to prep for the summer outside. I expect some will live and some will die, but I WILL learn!

Also, SCROG, I suggest using a wire mesh from the hardware store. Using string limits you to pulling a branch down from one cell, and carefully bringing it up through a further from center cell. Using wire mesh, you can just cut the wire, fold it out of the way and move the branch out, then bend the wire back. The net is to help the plant, not plant to help the net. You could buy a roll of mesh and have it for the next 10-15 grows. And if in a bind, you can mask your grow lights with a section of mesh if the upper canopy encroaches the hot zone.

And finally, if you haven't already, I suggest using that massive tent you got as your flower room. I saw the large PVC/string scrog you built, so you may have already decided on this, but I think your life will be difficult if you stick with that scrog net and not use wire mesh.

Check out Capn's blog, and all of his journals. He is as successful of a grower as the rest of our praised vets here on 420 and has outlined most of the issues you have already been tasked with and soo much more.

Skybound- I never thought of using the mesh, that would have saved me a few broken branches on my closet grow. I'm still going to roll the screen I made with string and pvc for the grow in my tent. My clones have perked up well 4 outta 5 and that is what my tent is going to be 4 blue venom in a scrog. I'm subscribed to one of the cap'ns journals, but I will deffinately check out the blog he has. Thank you for all of the good info. It does seem to me my ladies have slowed verticale growth quite a bit but I'm noticing the flowers are still getting more and more pistils every day. I don't know if I plan to defoil like that again but I felt I had no choice my plant were all bent over under the scrog burrows under my fan leafs. Now like you said it may just be 4-5 leafs that are blocking a node or two.

Can't get over how the ladies have improved - really happy for you. I am going to have a photo shoot w my ladies today - OH has asked me to. Just waiting for the sun to get a bit higher so I can see... :D

Thanx cherryhaze, can't wait to see your pics. I'm supposed to do a Rez change tonight but I'm wore out from working way too much today. Hopefully I'll get time tommorrow.

Thank you for the info roots, I'll take this into account on my next cloning session.

to multiple quote at the bottom of a post next to the "Reply With Quote" there is a "+" button that you click to add more reply with quotes then hit "Reply With Quote" when you are ready to reply.
Thank you KJC- took me a few tries but finally figured it out.

You will have better success with clones if you don't spray anything on them. This slows what little respiration they are capable of, any impurities in the water will also clog the pores on the leaves the plant needs for respiration.
Thank you again for the info roots, I just quoted your post to try and figure out quoting more than one post.

Back
Top Bottom