Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Wow! What did you press?
This was a bunch of popcorn buds out of the trim box. Kinda mixed bag of Alaskan Purple and Critical Purple Kush.

I pressed 2g (bagless) at 190°.

Hmm, thoughts on this puck press, 1-ton arbor press with a 30mm, 2" tall puck tube on the bottom plate and a round plunger, custom built, shipped to my door for $166?

Screenshot_1.jpg

Hmm, thoughts on this puck press, 1-ton arbor press with a 30mm, 2" tall puck tube on the bottom plate and a round plunger, custom built, shipped to my door for $166?

Screenshot_1.jpg
Looks insufficient to me. No room for plates.

Screenshot_1.jpg

I've been considering one as a pre-press. The cost is a lot lower though. Princess Auto sells the same press for $110 CAD. The problem I see with it is its 3-15/16" stroke. That would be OK if I could slip a 6" cylinder under the arbor.

Princess Auto sells the same press for $110 CAD.
The problem I see with it is its 3-15/16" stroke.

? The Princess Auto arbor by itself is $110 US, way more than Harbor Freight price of$59.

The additional puck kit has a separate plunger piece so stroke length shouldn't be an issue?

This is a 38mm sample of the kit...

Screenshot_1.jpg

? The Princess Auto arbor by itself is $110 US, way more than Harbor Freight price of$59.

The additional puck kit has a separate plunger piece so stroke length shouldn't be an issue?

This is a 38mm sample of the kit...

Screenshot_1.jpg

The 38mm dia tube should be great for the 2.5" wide bags. I don't think much of the fit and finish of the kit. The weld is horrible, and you will have major problems with the tube. The material you press will stick to the sides making the puck very difficult to remove. For the price wanted you should be able to get a local machine shop to do a much better job using L304 stainless steel. A brake cylinder hone, followed by polishing compounds will give you the finish needed.

Prepress - $7.99
Works perfect.:high-five:

I first used a similar clamp. I like the Irwin 6 in. Quick Grip Adjustable Bar Clamp/Spreaders better as they are quicker to clamp and release.

much better job using L304 stainless steel.

Thanks for the info! I can buy the parts easily online, a place called midwest steel you can choose all dimensions of 304 tubes and bars, then take to a shop to drill a hole and a couple welds. Gluing a piece of teflon on the plunger surface would help sticking I imagine.

So $20 for the clamp, $30 or so for a dabpress mold, much cheaper and just as easy as the modded arbor.

The pucks from the Dabpress 30mm pre-press molds work well with the 2" width bags, or the rolls from DulyTek. I'd get 2" x 2.5" bags, cut the bottom out of them, and cut the resulting sleeve in half. Not only do you get two pucks per bag, I find them easier to work with.

The 40mm Dabpress mold produces pucks I find a pain to insert into the 2.5" bags. I will check the cost of having a 38mm pre-press mold made.

You don't have to for me, that was just an example. I'm going with 30mm and 7g.

I'm doing it for me. I want to speed up my press runs as I squish everything at once for capsules. A 38mm mold should cut the length of my squish sessions in half, and be cheaper than custom filter bags. I squish twenty or more 7gm pucks a day. There are also some changes and additions I want to try. My Sherline lathe is really too small to handle the material, so I need to contract out at least the rough machining. Another option would be to stop using the bags at the press, and filter the final rosin / oil mix for the capsules That may be the way I end up going with. Bagless pucks may also give me larger yields as I won't have 20 bags covered with rosin that I don't currently recover. Processing them with alcohol is not an option for me.

Has anyone done a side by side? I've often wondered.

Someone would need to press at least 4oz each way. Another concern when comparing the results is any other vegetative that may be mixed in with the rosin from the bare pucks. I'll be pressing again in about two weeks, so I've got some time to think about it. Currently my thoughts are along the lines of mixing the rosin with three times its weight in coconut oil, and straining the result through a 100 micron filter. I'd need to strain it anyway to fill the capsules so the filling needle doesn't get clogged up.

If you're looking to cut out a bit of bag loss you can always try the modified Bottle Tech known as Chottle Tech. It's essentially just leaving both ends of the bag open and trimmed flush.

I'm trying that next pressing

Chottle looks interesting

Golly, can't believe I got not RSVP's for my Harvest/Trim party this week. Oh yeah, you'll smoke it but not help trim it. :rofl: :laugh::rofl::laugh::rofl:

That's ok, don't want any of you ol' farts to get out and get exposed. Freaky shit man.
I started flushing last week and the final flush was @ 107 ppm, that is my machine, it adds back calcium and magnesium, for flavor they say. That was Saturday's cycles and the last was Sunday at 8 AM and I ran the last of the solution through the pots. Also the last night lights was Sunday night. They will be off tonight. So last night they did not water nor tonight and the lamps will be off around 24 hours so will begin chop tomorrow.
Triple Cheese
20200309_211008 (2).jpg

Ayahuasca Purple
20200309_210929 (2).jpg

Back
Top Bottom