Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

just put together the press :) 63 bucks @ harbor freight
image_25165.jpg

Hola folks...had a buddy drop by the house a few weeks ago with a little dulytek press...of course by the end of the evening I was hooked on the squish...

Having been lucky enuff to pull off a decent organic outdoor crop in my legal state (man progress can b great) which gave me a good amount of tasty product to play with, I decided I needed a press. Started pouring over the forums and with a limited budget and NO technical/manual skills to speak of, decided to order up the dabpress 3x7 caged plates....didn’t want to be worrying/messing with keeping hot plates in alignment and these looked like a pretty reasonable product at a good price.

To the question for you experienced pressers, how important is a gauge on the hydraulic pump? From reading a lot of the posts, my thought is that it would be critical to watch pressure change/drop as u heat the bag/puck so u can steadily reapply pressure to keep rosin flowing smoothly without pushing too hard and blowing out the material into the rosin but I hear a lot of guys recommending the harbor freight presses that don’t have gauges...am I overthinking the necessity/usefulness of a gauge?

Along those lines I have read folks suggesting not to go under the 20 ton press...if I was pressing a half oz or so on the 3x7 plates (if that’s not overloading them) would a 10 ton press (like the Dake with gauge) have enough pressure to really do the job? What type or quantity of material would I need to press to make it feel like the 10 ton is not adequate?

Thanks in advance for the help...
Quick update in case anyone is looking for a press....found a 25% off cyber Monday sale on the Dake ten ton bench press with gauge (my understanding is Dake makes excellent presses)...$292 & free shipping off Zoro site so bit the bullet n went with the 10T instead of 20T...sorry couldn’t wait for any feedback but sale ended tonite...now I am off to sit in front of living room window waiting for the dang delivery truck....

Sorry, I didn’t see this till now. I don’t know why I didn’t get a notification. Anyway, I’m glad you caught the squeeze bug. It’s addicting for sure. I hope it all goes well. BTW, a 10 ton is sufficient IMO. I already had the press so it wasn’t a question for me. Anyway, good luck, and let us know how it goes.

So want to do this !! Just sayin

You can. Just be careful...and don’t run with scissors! :ganjamon:

A link to the PID setup would be real nice.

The schematic that came with my PID was good enough for me to figure out what went where. I’m no electrician by any means. I know enough to be dangerous...but this was pretty easy.

I'll be building mine for Xmas! using greengene's pid relay setup with 3x6 plates and a 6 ton (75 bucks) a-frame from Harbor freight.
just put together the press :) 63 bucks @ harbor freight

Awesome!

Solventless Extracts (Rosin) Pressed Here!

Hello everyone, and welcome to Grandpa’s squeeze box. I’ve been receiving quite a few emails lately asking me about my extracts; specifically, about solventless, so I thought I would share exactly what I do again so everyone can see. This little tutorial is all about making solventless extracts some like to call Rosin. Basically, we’re simply going to apply heat and pressure together to extract the goodness inside those trichomes. Everybody ready? Jump on board...it’s going to be a smashing good time!

Before we get started let me explain what equipment I’m using. Every piece of equipment and each component can be purchased on Amazon. I made my device from a 20-ton press, aluminum blocks, a proportional–integral–derivative controller (PID controller), ceramic heaters, a thermocouple etc. I’m not going to go into detail here about building a diy press. This can all be accomplished with a hair straightener and a clamp too...that’s how I started. Let me also throw in this caveat...this is not a press I would use for commercial applications. This is entirely for personal medicinal use and enjoyment.

To build the press I basically drilled two holes in the top aluminum block and one hole in the bottom block. Two of the holes are not tapped and are used to slide the ceramic heaters into the center of each block. The other hole is tapped in the top block to house a thermocouple so the PID can read temperature. The PID is wired to the heaters, thermocouple, and power cord and I housed them all in a small black box. I had to tap a few more holes in the top block so I had a way of attaching to the press. Because I already had the press the other components cost me about $80-$100. There are YouTube videos on how to build and wire one if you are as inclined as I was:

Enough of that nonsense! You want to see some squeezes...

First off, I should mention that the proceeding is extremely addictive. You may find yourself having fun while you do this...just sayin.

Okay, step one is growing good weed to smash. If you’re having troubles growing enough dank to smoke then you probably don’t want to smash it. I normally have an abundance...yes, yes I do! :ganjamon:

Today we’re using about 10 grams of Grandpa’s GG (in two 5 gram bags). It’s pretty good stuff and is just coated in trichome goodness. I breakup the bud into manageable pieces so they can be stuffed into some 90 micron bags:

I then did a cold pre-press on the two pouches. I use a smaller 6-ton press to do that. I’m using this RAW parchment paper and it really works nicely:

I place the flattened pouch into the parchment and center it in between the two warm blocks. The first run I used 230 F (all readings from my PID. May not be accurate). The second run I lowered the temp to 225 F. I felt like the first one was almost reaching too hot because of the smell...not bad, just hot. If that makes sense. You can see a difference in the Ooze color IMO.

I press until I feel contact with the material and wait 30 seconds. After that I give a full press. I don’t have any gauge to tell me exactly how much pressure is being applied, but I can testify that it is a shit-ton. I smash the hell out of it...duh! I know, not very scientific, but I don’t really care. I get what I get...and it’s oh so good.

Well kiddies, here’s what it looks like coming straight out of the press:

Yummy! All I do is simply gather up the goodness and flatten it out. It’s dabbable immediately and I always sample a little after completed.

I hope you enjoyed watching Grandpa squeeze something. I know I enjoyed it immensely. Solvent-less extracts can be fun for the entire family. Be safe!

Edit: I don’t squeeze a second time any longer, but it can certainly be accomplished. I save the smashed pouches for a later alcohol extraction.
what’s the difference in product smashing flower or smashing bubble hash and what differences are there as far as end product for different customers? Is hash pressed rosin more concentrated or a waste of time?

what’s the difference in product smashing flower or smashing bubble hash and what differences are there as far as end product for different customers? Is hash pressed rosin more concentrated or a waste of time?

Good question. I’ve never pressed bubble, but it’s only because I really like bubble. I’ve heard that you just get a cleaner, more concentrated product. Makes sense. You can turn some mediocre hash into much better stuff. I’ve watched vids, but never tried it. For me, squeezing bud is enough. Some people have higher standards. :laugh:

Never tried to press bubble hash. I have about 10 grams from mixed lots all pucked up, just waiting on appropriate bags. Member LED209 recently did a batch in his thread.

Also have trim from a green crack I need to dry ice first so I can do a green crack only run. This is novelty for me as I only have trim for hash every few months, so whatever it produces will be a one off.

That’s awesome @nobodyhere . That thing squeezes very nicely. I enjoy Rosin...it looks like you do too! :thumb:

I am only 2 weeks into the press. I am enjoying the new method of delivery. I don't have to spend 20 minutes with a joint to get where I want to be. It's been a very pleasant learning experience.

I am shocked that more people don't do this.

That is a huge return, congrats. How much and what strain was it?
It was the last of the deadhead I had on hand, 1.9g in a bag, it had previously measured about 28% return.

I have some orange kush that I have been pressing that I have not weighed yet, it's wonderful in the rig. I need to get a proper weight on an 1/8oz press tomorrow. I feel like my sweet spot for weight on my press is about 2.2-2.4g at a time.

Back
Top Bottom