Grandpa Likes To Squeeze Stuff: Solventless Extracts, Rosin, Pressed Here!

Rosin and puck THC Content

I found three studies that should shed some light.

High Times - They looked at all the THC tests of 3 years of Cannabis Cup rosin entries in 2014, 15, 16. They came up with a an average of 76% total THC in the rosin.

Extractioneering tested 60 samples of rosin, average was 73% total THC.

John B did three tests of used rosin pucks and came up with 13% total THC.

So using 75% as the THC content of the rosin you can calculate what the puck has using the weights of the rosin and the puck, assuming you have a general idea of the THC content of your original flower. I've read multiple places that short of having test results, using 15% THC for flower is a good start.

Question for you squishing boys. My caged plates are the dabpress 3x5 plates. What bag do you guys recommend for these plates? Should the bags be an inch smaller than the plates? I'm shopping for bags and a pre press now. The rest of my rig should get here on Friday or Monday.

Just like lumber, a 2 X 4. Actually I'm cutting the bottom out of the bag and the bags in half for a 2 X 2 tube, and folding over the open ends. I pre-press the 7 gm, 30mm pucks down to less than 3/4" (20mm).

Get the three piece 30mm cylindrical mold, not the two piece. I have the two piece, and needed to supply a plate to cover the bottom while squeezing the flower down.

Rosin and puck THC Content

I found three studies that should shed some light.

High Times - They looked at all the THC tests of 3 years of Cannabis Cup rosin entries in 2014, 15, 16. They came up with a an average of 76% total THC in the rosin.

Extractioneering tested 60 samples of rosin, average was 73% total THC.

John B did three tests of used rosin pucks and came up with 13% total THC.

So using 75% as the THC content of the rosin you can calculate what the puck has using the weights of the rosin and the puck, assuming you have a general idea of the THC content of your original flower. I've read multiple places that short of having test results, using 15% THC for flower is a good start.

Thanks, that's good information. I pulled the 70% out of my you know what, as a guess. It seems this was a little on the low side as the capsules hit as hard as the strongest filled with flower.

I've only had one blow out, and that was while I was learning the ropes. I use the following procedure now:
  1. Fill the 30 cm mold with 7gm of flower, tamping it down as required;
  2. use a clamp to squeeze the puck down to about 3/4" (20 mm);
  3. put the puck into the sleeve, and fold the ends over;
  4. put it in the press at about 100 PSI, and preheat for one minute;
  5. bring the pressure up to 1000 PSI, over about 15 seconds;
  6. maintain the pressure (it will drop) for the required amount of time (usually 3 minutes);
  7. at the end, raise the pressure to 2500 PSI for 30 seconds;
  8. release the pressure, and remove the parchment, puck, and rosin from the press;
  9. remove the puck, and let the rosin cool for a minute or so; and
  10. gather and store the rosin.

I've only had one blow out, and that was while I was learning the ropes. I use the following procedure now:
  6. maintain the pressure (it will drop) for the required amount of time (usually 3 minutes);
  8. release the pressure, and remove the parchment, puck, and rosin from the press;
Can u do a pic of yer puck I. The bag, folded and ready to press....purty please

I saw a guy fold over the ends for his round pucks..so hopefully I'll try that and see if it works for me

Do you guys think the bottle tech style is better than the rectangular style?

Page 1 of this journal. Bottle tech will yield a higher return. It takes a little more time, but depending on the weed, can make a difference. Pre press makes a difference as well, IMO.

Perfect!

Can u do a pic of yer puck I. The bag, folded and ready to press....purty please
I saw a guy fold over the ends for his round pucks..so hopefully I'll try that and see if it works for me

full

Making the Pucks

I use the base of Dabpress' 40mm mold to keep the flower from exiting the 30mm mold while pre-pressing the puck. The folds in the top and bottom are done at the same time. I fold them over from the same sides for both top and bottom, so that when I slide the puck into the press I don't open one of them accidentally. The side of the puck where I made the last folds enters the press first. This prevents leaks of the vegetative matter into the rosin.

I cursed trying to take that last image, as the folds kept wanting to open. I ended up putting a piece of plexiglass on the puck to hold them down.

Just like lumber, a 2 X 4. Actually I'm cutting the bottom out of the bag and the bags in half for a 2 X 2 tube, and folding over the open ends. I pre-press the 7 gm, 30mm pucks down to less than 3/4" (20mm).

Get the three piece 30mm cylindrical mold, not the two piece. I have the two piece, and needed to supply a plate to cover the bottom while squeezing the flower down.

Just what I do Salty, I pre-press my pucks to closer to 1/2" and the 2 X 2 filters ends fold over perfectly.

Pucks, 1/2" +/-
20190514_103149 (2).jpg

Puck inside the filter
20190514_104734 (2).jpg

I just fold opposite sides, works well for me
20190528_125800.jpg

I tried two pucks at a time but was hard to keep the puck filter closed in place. I think I have figured it out and am going to give it another shot.

Back
Top Bottom