H0bbyGr0wer89 - Soil - White Widow - 2016

Pictures:

20160216_164050-1.jpg
20160216_164747-1.jpg
20160216_164526-1.jpg

Ok peeps - I flushed her today! She is on her way to death... will harvest in 2 weeks (maybe longer if she looks like she still has some nutes and could go a little longer).

Quick question... is there a "best practice" for correcting soil PH? While I was flushing, I figured I would correct the PH (runoff was at 7). No matter what, the runoff was still 7 lol; I even put about 1-2 gallons of water with about 3 PH through it and still came out to 7 on the other end hahaha.

Pretty interesting... any advice?

PS: I supercropped her again (oops) ;). It worked so well the first time... and a day or two after the second, tons of white pistols sprouted up again. Makes the bottom part of the plant explode - I do not regret it... yet...

Sent from my SM-N920T using 420

The plant doesn't show deficiency so no need to correct it. pH runoff is notorious for doing what it wants.

Thanks, Shiggity!

I was thinking theoretically and... if the whole point of flushing is to flush out nutrients so the plant eats up all reserves and does not.uptake any more... couldn't one alter the PH dramatically (like a PH of 10) and lock out nutrient absorption?

Just pondering - I'm sure it's a stupid question and other side-effects with that method. Worth a thought, though...

Thanks, Shiggity!

I was thinking theoretically and... if the whole point of flushing is to flush out nutrients so the plant eats up all reserves and does not.uptake any more... couldn't one alter the PH dramatically (like a PH of 10) and lock out nutrient absorption?

Just pondering - I'm sure it's a stupid question and other side-effects with that method. Worth a thought, though...

I actually don't flush in the classic sense. At two weeks to go I cut nutes in half and in the last week I cut them in half again. The very last watering I do plain water. The idea is to give them reducing amounts of nutrients so they can still grow and use up the nutrients contained in the plant. Giving just water for weeks is a dramatic shock in my opinion. The plant will lose vigor and be unable to utilize the nutrients left in the bud and plant. For example say you are on the verge of mag deficiency and you switch to all water. The mag gets used up and you are left with a plant that may have an abundance of phosphorus and potassium. But it can't use them effectively because there isnt enough mag available. The plant will never use up all the leftover phosphorus and potassium because it is trying to deal with a mag deficiency. If however you give decreasing nutes then the plant has a better chance of metabolizing the excess stored nutrient.

I actually don't flush in the classic sense. At two weeks to go I cut nutes in half and in the last week I cut them in half again. The very last watering I do plain water. The idea is to give them reducing amounts of nutrients so they can still grow and use up the nutrients contained in the plant. Giving just water for weeks is a dramatic shock in my opinion. The plant will lose vigor and be unable to utilize the nutrients left in the bud and plant. For example say you are on the verge of mag deficiency and you switch to all water. The mag gets used up and you are left with a plant that may have an abundance of phosphorus and potassium. But it can't use them effectively because there isnt enough mag available. The plant will never use up all the leftover phosphorus and potassium because it is trying to deal with a mag deficiency. If however you give decreasing nutes then the plant has a better chance of metabolizing the excess stored nutrient.
Ahhhhh - I like it!

With that info... I might give her 1/2 dose (which is 1/4 of directed) for this next week, see how she does... then pure water for the last.

I recently had some "white buffalo" from a dispensary here in CA and MY GOD.

It was dried and cured... but still had a softness to it. It smoked so smooth and it tasted like candy... seriously... not an exaggeration. I wish I could track that grower down and replicate their process / secret. It was delicious.

Maybe he/she did what you are describing...

Also if you harvest it before the lights kick on, while the roots are dormant it'll help with the flavor as well. Soon as your lights kick on they uptake nutrients. Use a green cfl or LED to work while the lights out

Yup!

Kidgrow gave me the advice to leave her dark for about 48 hours right before harvest... I think ima go to the extreme and try that method.

Same principle I think.

Also if you harvest it before the lights kick on, while the roots are dormant it'll help with the flavor as well. Soon as your lights kick on they uptake nutrients. Use a green cfl or LED to work while the lights out

I harvest when it's bone dry, so I'm not sure the roots could take up anything really at that point. Interesting thought though, hadn't read that anywhere before I don't think.

I harvest when it's bone dry, so I'm not sure the roots could take up anything really at that point. Interesting thought though, hadn't read that anywhere before I don't think.

There's a lot of growers that do it, and yea soon as any light hits them bone dry or not chlorophyll will shoot to all the leaves, and yada yada. The only reason you let your pots dry out is for trichomes production, and this is the same reason you put them in the dark for 48hrs. Its not the darkness making trichomes, its the cool dry air. If your roots are kept dormant it will help with the flavor though at harvest time. Chlorophyll is my enemy at harvest lol, more chlorophyll in your plant= harsh taste and a longer cure in my book. Everyone has there own methods HG, you just have to find what works best for you.

yes this all makes since.no chlorophyll no nutes going into cure.all of my learning on here so far has been growing thru veg and then a great bloom and flower.now ready for some diffront curings.this has came a long way from the days of pulling the plant roots and all and then hanging it all upside down.dont know if that really did anything in curing but that was the 70's ha ha .I learning something new every day here.:thumb:teach this old fool...lol

Update:

She has been flushed for about 1.5 weeks and is showing signs of various nutrient deficiencies, as well as starting to dry up very well. I think I am going to start the 3 days of dark tonight.

Average nug size is 2" tall, but also very very fat. Some are as fat as they are tall.

20160223_121345-1.jpg
20160223_121359-1.jpg
20160223_124127-1.jpg
20160223_123805-1.jpg

Hey HG how goes it? You will get that toward the end sometimes. Especially if you have somewhat cooler nights & you're doing your flush. My plants are always yellow,red, & just about any other fall colors after 2 weeks of flushing nutrients out. The buds are the only thing left with any color at harvest time, but like I always say everyone has there own way. You have think that out in the wild these plants will probably turn fall colors right? So why shouldn't they do the same inside? Im sure there's a lot that might disagree, and say its a bad thing. Say your starving them and yada yada. Once you get a few more grows under your belt you will know exactly what I mean. You'll get a better feel for what's normal & what's not thats for sure.

Hmmm. I suppose you are right. It DOES look kind of purple.

I had no clue that White Widow had that characteristic...

20160223_203603-1.jpg
20160223_203457-1.jpg
Regarding the Purple colouring..
Looks like a phosphorus deficiency, not much to worry mine looks like that too. She will be loosing her colour over the next 2 weeks before harvest. If you had flushed her it's an obvious reason for that deficiency. Also there's a lesser chance that it's from your temp dropping too low overnight, which I don't think is true. Re- Check your soil Ph and make sure it's able to get her last feeding or to before you flush for the finish. Foliar spray is an option but this late in flower your likely to do more harm than good.

Imo.

Hope this was insightful, KIG :green_heart: cheers

Looks frosty, man. Nice. I have a WW in a 5 gal dwc thats about 4 weeks old and it is a crazy lil bush lol. Pics in my gallery if you would like to take a look. I'm going to switch in another week or two. I need to read your journal from the start to see where your at. How long did you veg and how far are you in flower?

Back
Top Bottom