Hempy Headquarters

I might have access to a digital scale tomorrow. Guy isn't sure it works / has batteries / etc. and doesn't have a calibration weight for it. If he brings it by and I can get it to work and correctly weigh a nickel, I'll weigh out some quantities of Osmocote Plus for two-liter bottle and DT wastebasket use. I'm also going to fill the Osmocote Plus bottle lid ("One capful per two gallons of soil.") to the brim, level it off, and weigh the contents.

Assuming that works out, I'll post the results for future reference. I might even weigh a SMALL amount and then count the number of prills. We'll just have to see about that one ;) .

EDIT: I pulled some perlite out of my big bag today. It's <BLEEP> :( . Looks like a 50:50 mix (and that's being charitable) of fine perlite and white grit/dust. HtH does everyone remove the crap? I've read that the perlite fines collect in sink traps (and in the main line, basement floor drain pipe, etc.), and are difficult to remove, possibly eventually leading to a restriction. IDK about that. But the plumbing here is older than I am, so I'm "a bit" wary. I filled one of those DT wastebaskets with perlite, added water, and walked around with it outside, letting it drain, sticking something in the hole and freeing up the clog :rolleyes: , and did this three times. What's left might be closer to concrete than planting medium, lol, but I used it anyway to see what happens, with a small autoflower that needed more root space than the tiny little nursery starter (one compartment of a six-plant "$1.99 for six veggie plants" tray). It looked pretty sad after I'd finished trying to wash all the soil I could off of its roots without too much damage (water smells like a public swimming pool here). 12 hours later, it's looking normal again, so here's hoping. I spiked the perlite with Osmocote Plus, sprinkled a teaspoon or so around the plant on top of the perlite, watered it a bit... poured out the few ounces that wanted to actually drain when I made the attempt, and poured that (presumably, nutritive) liquid back onto the plant's root area. Then I lightly covered the prills that were on top. Thing feels like there's a gallon of water in it, but none pours out when I tilt it and wiggle something into the hole. IDFK. Didn't want to mess with the coco coir for this. Starting to wish I had, lol.

I would just get a cheap but sturdy kitchen sieve, fill it halfway, and use the hose outside. You really need to get as much of the -1/8” dust/particulates out or you will likely have issues with inadequate drainage. You want to be able to fertigate as often as you want without waterlogging.

I believe @Tead loads his perlite with O+ mostly just above the reservoir and then distributes some from there to the top.

I think the Vigaro brand perlite is graded as #2, and typically contains ~20-25% unusable crap. See if you can find the larger #3 or #4. Much better.

on the topic of getting rid of perlite dust, i simply dry sift it now.

getting anything other than the regular stuff is just not cost effective here. so i get the cheap bales of it and dry sift with a homemade tool.

full

just a laundry detergent bottle with the top and bottom cut off, and a mosquito screen taped to the bottom. works great. it reduces the dust by about the same as washing with less trouble.

i still get sludge in the bottom of the buckets, maybe up to a 1/4 inch in the bottom, never more. the plants don't seem to be effected by it at all. i don't really lose perlite watering either, as i use a plug when watering or feeding the plants. once the roots have firmed up the hole stays permanently clear.

I use a 12g tub

Drill holes in the bottom and about an inch or so up, wanna say 3/8", so the fine crap will flush out

Fill with Perlite, then flood that sucker

Pushes most that silty crap out

That said

I got Mother Earth #4 Perlite and it rocks....
I'll start in the Vagero (spelling) and then transfer to the #4 stuff
Really liked it in my last grow, plus no fine crap in it

Fill it

I'm also going to fill the Osmocote Plus bottle lid ("One capful per two gallons of soil.") to the brim, level it off, and weigh the contents.

Osmo capfull leveled = 52g
Milk jug cap leveled = 8g

I use 3.3g Osmo per litre.
Load about 1/4 below the blowhole (a.k.a. hempy drain hole) and distribute the rest evenly thru the mix as you fill the container with the perl.
Water at 5.5 -6.0. This is super important.
You'll need to use CalMag. I tried milk for a while.... it works but stinks.

You'll need to use CalMag. I tried milk for a while...

I cannot imagine ever pouring milk into a hydroponic grow setup, lofl.

Are you using tap water? I know Osmocote Plus contains zero calcium, but I'm assuming that's because it's meant to be used with tap water, which generally contains anywhere from some to "I hate this stuff!!!" calcium.

I do have some Epsom salt for magnesium and calcium nitrate for calcium. And a Ca + Mg product if I want to add both at the same time without being able to tailor the ratio.

Thanks for weighing the contents of a capful of O+, BtW.

I cannot imagine ever pouring milk into a hydroponic grow setup, lofl.

Totally worked. Gets smelly... especially when you dump the pot at the end of a grow.

Are you using tap water?

Yes. City filtered Mississippi mud. I have filtered water available but use the city mud after letting it sit for 48hrs. My stuff comes in around 400ppm.

I know Osmocote Plus contains zero calcium, but I'm assuming that's because it's meant to be used with tap water, which generally contains anywhere from some to "I hate this stuff!!!" calcium.

No... it's meant to be used in soil where things like Ca and Mg generally already exist. Remember... other Osmo words and advice may not apply in the HydroOsmo world.

I do have some Epsom salt for magnesium and calcium nitrate for calcium. And a Ca + Mg product if I want to add both at the same time without being able to tailor the ratio.

I forgot to mention Epsom salt in my earlier words. I used it in conjunction with the milk for my homemade CalMag answer.

Good Luck! Have fun! It's a bit dicey to keep the plant in place when you hit larger plant sizes. The perl doesn't give the same root friction as soil. Stay with smaller plants. The tube containers really maximize plant support, but can get top heavy so handle carefully as the plant gets big.

Mesh reservoir, lol?

super air pot hempy? Just wondering.

I don't think I'd call it hempy.... even if it had a res in the bottom. You'd want a thick medium... pure perlite would not wick from the res and would just dry out in hours.
Having said that, I've settled into grow bags filled with 80% peat / 20% perl with a pan underneath. Luvin it. Similar to a mesh pot, but holds more moisture.

It's a bit dicey to keep the plant in place when you hit larger plant sizes. The perl doesn't give the same root friction as soil. Stay with smaller plants. The tube containers really maximize plant support, but can get top heavy so handle carefully as the plant gets big.

Only one so far, and it's an auto, so no eight square foot canopy.

The Jack Herer clones I grew in 6-ounce (might have been 8-ounce) Styrofoam coffee cups fell over... often ;) .

OtOH, by the time they did, you could have turned the cups upside-down and nothing would have fallen out. With these wastebaskets full of perlite, it'd be a snowstorm, lol. It's definitely staying wet; not on the very top, but it is not far below it. The poor perlite is helping with that. Remains to be seen whether it's helping(?) too much in that regard. It's actually not super fine, it's more "every grade from the size of small dice down to dust." So it's filling in some voids I'd rather it didn't, but will also help the plant stay in place. I got kind of down yesterday and thought about pitching it, but am going to let it ride until I see something I don't like (like root rot). I was going to mix up a light liquid growth nutrient, but may not even do that. It's more an experiment than a quest for great bud (again... autoflower). Like when I grew some in 2-liter bottles of soil just to see if it'd work to place a bunch together (4/square foot). Or when I sat a tray of those bottles out by the highway, on the southern side (turns out, someone was observant the next day :rolleyes: ) . Just screwing around more than anything.

...and wanting to re-familiarize myself with the concepts, so to speak, for when (if) a sponsor sends me a soil amendment to try in hempy, so I don't start out by pooching the whole thing.

I suppose no res at all or place in a bucket with a hole to simulate a reservoir for hempy style.

If I was so inclined, I might use some of those mesh 'cans and fill them with well-rinsed and treated coco coir, then install a drip ring around the top and feed two or three times/day, whatever it took to keep the coco coir moist. But like Tead mentioned, it wouldn't be a hempy (or in this case, even passive hydroponics).

EDIT: And they might work okay filled with soil. Sort of a more durable air-pruning pot.

2L bottles are a great format.

I knew they worked great for clones (with little/no growth time after rooting). Just wasn't sure how they'd work with "random autoflowers." Worked okay; yield per plant sucked, but x4 per square foot made it back. If I made auto seed like @Rifleman has, I might do a grow or two full of the little buggers, but without the seed production beforehand, it's not all that "profitable," so to speak, because you're going through four autoflowering seeds per square foot - say 40 in a 39"x39" tent per grow, plus the usual water, nutrients, electricity, percentage of materials cost, and some labor. Might as well go buy some bud, lol. But if you've already got several thousand seeds, well...

80% peat / 20% perl with a pan underneath.
I don't think I'd call it hempy.... even if it had a res in the bottom. You'd want a thick medium... pure perlite would not wick from the res and would just dry out in hours.
Having said that, I've settled into grow bags filled with 80% peat / 20% perl with a pan underneath. Luvin it. Similar to a mesh pot, but holds more moisture.

Ive thought of using peatmoss in pearlite before instead of vermiculite... Does the peat make the PH go up/down/neutral?

Yes with the mesh basket would need a drip ring on a timmer for sure. But it would likely air prune roots well and allow for more growth since it wouldn't be pot bound. Unless im missing something?

Advise against trying to use peat products in a hydroponic grow.

Back
Top Bottom