Horse's Crawlspace Grow

High Horse! Just finished reading all the great scrog information and looking forward to the harvest report. :Rasta: Great journal.

Just about to start setting up for a scrog with clones coming from my vertical grow. I'll be using coco/perlite hempies again. Thanks for all the fantastic information. :goodjob: :thanks:

High TT, thanks for the kind words... I've got a chair pulled up for your grow :popcorn:

:peace:

DSC08235.jpg

All the issues finally caught up with the girls. I was surprised with flowering clones on May 9th. After much dorking around, I finally got a suitable (or so I thought) flowering situation going Aug. 13th. After 75 days in bloom, they reached the point of diminishing return. Trichs were about 40%, but the bud leaves began degrading faster than they were turning trichs, ha!

DSC08233.jpg

DSC08232.jpg

I need to go back and slowly re-read this journal, but off the top of my head, some things I think I screwed up were:

Putting OC+ prills in the very bottom of the hempy bucket. Way too much got released. I know it's not supposed to burn the plants, but I made every condition just right to burn them anyhow.

DSC08212.jpg

Not paying attention to the temp. Perlite and OC+, heat, all the other problems, plus denial don't work well together.

Vegging too long under 288w of t5s, then going to 1000wMH... more stressed out than a long tailed cat on the porch of a retirement home.

Well water. TA off the chart when it was politely pointed out that maybe I oughta check it.

Bad pH meter, doesn't help much in a needy situation

Not exactly my fault, but, we had something like 117 days of over 90° this summer, and a bunch of those days were over 100. Phew!

If anybody sees anything else, either subtle or obvious, to add to my list, please feel free to jump in. I have very thick skin, and maybe some one can avoid plant abuse charges :)

On the brighter side of the road... this Old Power Plant kicks azz. House guests from a less tolerant planet, and freak humidity have slowed drying operations, so curing is still a way off.

DSC08241.jpg

The buds are tightish, but not dense. A good thing given the humidity.

DSC08221.jpg

Frostyness is nice.

DSC08226.jpg

Trimming was tougher than normal with the extra browning.

DSC08227.jpg

Buds aren't so big that I need a truck to move them around :) This one's been drying for about four days.

DSC08242.jpg

Well, I'm sittin' here wonderin' will a matchbox hold my buds? LOL

The smell is delightfully fresh and the taste of some earlier cut sample is too. Kind of piney, but more just a real nice mountain meadow fresh thing. Medicative powers are substantial, and the ash is clean. Mrs Horse likes it, very important, and we're giving it a solid 7 right now.

Minus big stems, 1289g of total wet material. 4-5 days later 370g of bud w/ associated stemage, and 149g of trimmings.

I got a little humidity meter at xmart that I now see reads 10% lower than the other 3 big ones, jarring is a little ways off, but I might be eyeballing that.

I'll get the real dry weights up when, well, when it's dry :tokin:

Thanks to everyone for all the help, and noobie directed kindnesses. Pretty nice crowd here at 420 :thumb:

:peace: Horse

if youre not making mistakes, you're not learning.....i know about it "all adds up" i lost 7 plants this summer, heat....and several have had more seeds (didnt keep) than i thought prudent....it was an azz kicking summer for me too...if it could go wrong, it did.....i just plant more seeds and put the goofs in the hash and oil bags....it all gets used.....or smoked....the kid took alot home with him i was going to put in hash bags....he about flipped when he saw all the popcorn buds i throw in the hash bag....like i'll manicure them if can have them....wouldnt let him, he would have cut his fool fingers off....just not worth it for them, when i can do so much else with them...i did give him bags of several kinds of smaller buds tho...i went thru stach and was going to throw them in the bag, but gave to him instead....his wife said their 420 jar is full to the rim now and still half put up....they mixed it up....didnt keep separate....i try to keep it separate; but have one jar with crumbs that is all mixed up from all of the jars....if that makes sense....yes visitors from neighboring unfriendly planets can be harmful and detrimental to your and plants mental health.....congrats on getting some smoke, you worked it out and learned alot....thats all that counts, other than the smoke, and both just keep getting better....boy that cage looks lonely when its empty.....you need more....we need to see more....enjoy, L:thumb: now get planting....:thumb:lol

Thanks for the kind words Lavendar, you are one of the folks here who continually inspire me... and, okaay, I like weed too :)

I know what you mean with a crazy mixed up stash... I have 25 years of stuff. Some of it's mixed, some carefully separated and marked with some glyph I must have thought some pot head from the future would understand :tokin:

#1 son has been making the bubble bag hash... I've got a lot of popcorn to chuck in the next run :Rasta: It's good stuff, too.

The stall is getting retooled for a vertical CMH grow, but I got all the wrong lighting stuff, well except for the cords and lamp socket... now I'm trying to round up the right stuff to go in between, again... arrgh LOL

Thanks for stooping in!

Horse

Hi Horse! ;)
I call it a success if I get something to smoke out of a grow....so....congratulations! :thumb:

We all want to do it perfect, but it takes time. Each grow gets better! So will yours! If I remember right you used to grow out doors....indoors is a whole different thing. New set of rules and things to look for, so I think you did a good job my friend. Although I agree about putting the OC+ in bottom was not good horse sense. I've done worse believe me.

I read over at Gators house about your light. How were you supposed know?
The idea is a good one though. Can't wait to your vertical grow. :blunt:

Bottom line is the wife liked it, you did good! :goodjob:

Hi Horse! ;)
I call it a success if I get something to smoke out of a grow....so....congratulations! :thumb:

We all want to do it perfect, but it takes time. Each grow gets better! So will yours! If I remember right you used to grow out doors....indoors is a whole different thing. New set of rules and things to look for, so I think you did a good job my friend. Although I agree about putting the OC+ in bottom was not good horse sense. I've done worse believe me.

I read over at Gators house about your light. How were you supposed know?
The idea is a good one though. Can't wait to your vertical grow. :blunt:

Bottom line is the wife liked it, you did good! :goodjob:

Hi OMM, yep none of the things I was worried about about happened, and all of the things I didn't even think about did. Better than an Agatha Christi story :Rasta:

I am still kicking myself about the light, but may have a resolution today. This pot growing keeps me hoppin' :)

Thanks for the good words, I'll let you know when round 2 starts :tokin:

The stall is getting retooled for a vertical CMH grow, but I got all the wrong lighting stuff, well except for the cords and lamp socket... now I'm trying to round up the right stuff to go in between, again... arrgh LOL

Horse

Sorry to hear about your lighting troubles Horse - murphy's law strikes again. They do sell HPS ballasts on the Phillips CMH site for $60, which is good if you like to wire stuff, but I'd just go for the HTG 400HPS system for $119 - got everything, even hangers.

I liked the summary you put on the hempy thread - I really wish every grower would deconstruct their grow at the end like you did. At the very least, it makes me question the extra chunky perlite - I'm sure it works well up top, but does it leave too much space for water to pool at the bottom?

When I'm done mine, I will take photos of the buckets as I empty them - I want to see the condition and location of the OC+ prills, color of roots, and distribution of roots in the media.

Can't wait for the vertical CMH to fire up! :idea:

Sorry to hear about your lighting troubles Horse - murphy's law strikes again. They do sell HPS ballasts on the Phillips CMH site for $60, which is good if you like to wire stuff, but I'd just go for the HTG 400HPS system for $119 - got everything, even hangers.

Thanks OBX, I don't mind making unavoidable mistakes, but this warn't one of them :( That's a good deal w/ shipping it's 140 beans. My hydro store wants $149 for just the ballast. I've gotten 2 tents from HTG that I like, fast shipping too... too bad they don't carry cmh bulbs, tho.

I liked the summary you put on the hempy thread - I really wish every grower would deconstruct their grow at the end like you did. At the very least, it makes me question the extra chunky perlite - I'm sure it works well up top, but does it leave too much space for water to pool at the bottom?

I don't think the water in the rez was a problem at all, I think it's just part of the hempy system, and besides, it seems it really is a rez. I think the chunky creates more airspace and more movement of the feeding solution, kinda self-cleaning?

When I'm done mine, I will take photos of the buckets as I empty them - I want to see the condition and location of the OC+ prills, color of roots, and distribution of roots in the media.

I'll want to see that, too. It seemed I had a lot more prills at the bottom when I pulled them than when I started. I didn't incorporate the OC, just kind of dibbled them opposite the damn hole, and when I pulled the root ball, I think a lot of prills slid to the bottom. But, if they migrate to the bottom during the grow, it might not be such a good thing?

Can't wait for the vertical CMH to fire up! :idea:

You and me both, brotherman :smokin:

Hi Horse, sorry I missed your chop but it sounds like you had a great result. A few tweaks for next run and you'll have it nailed. :goodjob::thumb::peacetwo:

Hi Horse, sorry I missed your chop but it sounds like you had a great result. A few tweaks for next run and you'll have it nailed. :goodjob::thumb::peacetwo:

Highdee Ho Mick,

The chopping was trip. I tried it in the dark. Even with a head lamp and green lights, untangling that scrog was an adventure I don't want to repeat :grinjoint: Remind me not to do the over, under, and around weave the next time :)

Everybody has been drying for a week. Due to some unexpected circumstances, I had to dry the girls on the floor between layers of newspaper. I could uncover them at night, and a gentle ceiling fanning did the rest.

Today was canning day :yahoo:

DSC08250.jpg

After I cut everything off the stems, and trimmed them a little more, I'm still kind of shocked at the weight.

2.7 ozs, 2.4ozs, and 3.1 ozs... just over 8 in bud. I thought I was going to end up with about 3ozs after all the travails I put those girls through :ganjamon:

I know for 1000w that's pretty pitiful, but I'm ecstatic :yahoo:

Worst thing of this is I just came down with a chest cold... I wanna sample LOL

Is that a dry or wet weight, Horse?

From the number of jars, it looks like a dry weight, which is a really nice haul considering all the things you tried that are new for you as a grower.

:bravo:

+rep

Thanks SS, it's dry weight before cure. I just told my son, and he's bringing his scale over to check me out LOL!

I was shooting for 1000g, but gotta stay flexible :grinjoint:

Back
Top Bottom