Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

How do you keep your perlite from floating away?

There's never enough water to create a floating situation, my Dutch buckets are just under 3 gallons each and I use about 2 gallons of perlite in each. The watering is a steady but small stream from each tube and the Dutch buckets drain automatically as more water is added, so the water in each bucket can never get above the 3-inch level, even if it ran continuously.

I use a 5-gallon paint strainer in each bucket to prevent perlite from draining away. Works perfectly.

Peace, Hyena

Happy Friday!

PROJECT 27 UPDATE

We're growing like weeds!

20180201_134954.jpg

No matter how many times I have seen this, I'm always amazed how fast these beasties grow.

On the left, the Big Nugs Fast and the lone White Widow in the back are all looking fantastic.

20180201_134959.jpg

Big, wide plants when they are very young make better plants the whole way IMHO. I try to get them really stout early.

Sour Jack and Hyena Berry are nice and green...

20180201_135005.jpg

I HATE having an empty bucket...grrrrrrr...but more on that in a minute!

On the right, Big Nugs Fast, Hyena Berry, and Blue Hyena in back are right on track and lookin' good Jack...

20180201_135013.jpg

I couldn't be happier. All these are now stable and branching, with perfect leaf tips. The tips will tell!

Now for the empty bucket...I can't accept this. At this point if a grow isn't perfect I become annoyed even though that shows way too much confidence in such a random endeavor. I kept looking at that bucket and trying to figure out some way to do something with it.

Every problem is an opportunity in my world.

If I wasn't such a stoner I would have thought of this ten days ago but better late than never. I broke back into the secret Hyena seed vault and grabbed my forgotten bag of various AUTO seeds. I have lots of seed packs of multiple auto varieties which were prizes in 420 contests...

A year ago I did run a couple autos and basically tried not to laugh. I know how much a lot of folks love them and that's wonderful but same work=way less buds makes little sense to me UNLESS space is an issue in which case God has provided.

But...now I have an empty bucket and suddenly I love the idea of a faster-finishing and smaller plant! We can always learn and grow!

But a Chihuahua and a St Bernard can't live together...can they? We'll see! Seems like running 2-3 autos in this front bucket will give me a nice additional early harvest and be fun to play with. I will give autos another chance.

Wife on vacation this weekend...freedom to visit the lab when I want. Back upstairs to plant!

Peace, Hyena

Saturday!

Today I had the luxury of spending several HOURS in my grow lab...oh what fun just to be in there!

20180203_115936.jpg

Things are humming. I decided on the Autoflower bouquet we will plant in the front row...

20180203_1031521.jpg

These seem like a nice variety, some high-THC genetics that all boast ten-week time frames. We shall see...

I planted two seeds from each variety, which have been soaking for 24 hours in water. Re-plumbed the feeder tube to service three locations...

20180203_124104.jpg

Let's see how fast these girls get going.

The Hyena Berrys are stout:

20180203_120228.jpg

And the two Big Nugs Fast pots on the left are impressive already...

20180203_120246.jpg

Gonna have so much weed I don't know how we will fit it.

Meanwhile, I'm still taste testing the last crop...working through it...

two_doobs.gif

Cough

Peace, Hyena

Saturday!

Today I had the luxury of spending several HOURS in my grow lab...oh what fun just to be in there!

These seem like a nice variety, some high-THC genetics that all boast ten-week time frames. We shall see...

I planted two seeds from each variety, which have been soaking for 24 hours in water. Re-plumbed the feeder tube to service three locations...

Whoa that is one hell of a lab, Hyena! :love:

Those are some interesting strains, that Sweet Coffee Ryder especially.:popcorn:
10 weeks :rofl:, starting from pistils.:hippy:
Someday, those advertised timelines will be accurate. :tokin:

Good times, hanging out in the lab. Are you set up for side lighting on both ends this time?

Not yet, but I plan to add lights on the right side too...looking at strip lighting maybe...I'm pushing the circuit limit right now. My 5 Mars Hydro "300s" draw 1.8 amps each, plus my GROWSTAR GS 1000s pull 4 amps each max. So there's 17 amps on a 20 amp circuit, plus fans and pumps and stuff. I have another house circuit that I also tap into up there so I probably have a couple amps to play with. I'll try to find something lower draw.

Peace, Hyena

Not yet, but I plan to add lights on the right side too...looking at strip lighting maybe...I'm pushing the circuit limit right now. My 5 Mars Hydro "300s" draw 1.8 amps each, plus my GROWSTAR GS 1000s pull 4 amps each max. So there's 17 amps on a 20 amp circuit, plus fans and pumps and stuff. I have another house circuit that I also tap into up there so I probably have a couple amps to play with. I'll try to find something lower draw.

Peace, Hyena

Mars 300 shouldn't draw that much I don't think. They only use about 140watts. Amps = Watts/volts. So 140 divided by 110 or 120 is only about 1 amp brother. I feel you though. My grow is on a 15 amp glass fuse! In a 60 amp breaker! I have to be so careful with Amps lol

Mars 300 shouldn’t draw that much I don’t think. They only use about 140watts. Amps = Watts/volts. So 140 divided by 110 or 120 is only about 1 amp brother. I feel you though. My grow is on a 15 amp glass fuse! In a 60 amp breaker! I have to be so careful with Amps lol

Yeah, I'm using the max draw as stated on the units, it's probably not all that but burning down the house isn't a mistake I'm willing to make so I figure it very conservatively.

Peace, Hyena

smoking_guy.gif

Happy Tuesday!

PROJECT 27 UPDATE

Monster buds are coming!

20180205_181614.jpg

The girls are having a great time drinking nutes and growing. I want a lot of branches so I'm waiting until end of the week to top them but everyone is branching nicely and looking healthy.

The first auto has begin to emerge. I hope to see them all up by Sunday.

Of note are the Big Nugs Fast girls...they are beautiful plants already.

20180205_181703.jpg

Still the fattest are the two middle Hyena Berrys. Man oh man those two plants are stout already.

20180205_181647.jpg

In the other pot there are absolutely two phenos of the Hyena Berry...one is a true midget. I will probably chop that plant by the weekend if it hasn't shown better growth. I find the effort used to raise runts in the mix is not worth it anymore, I think they just take up space for very little return.

Finally my Blue Hyena is catching up fast. She is two weeks from seed today and getting nice fast.

20180205_181657.jpg

Nobody drinks much yet, I won't have any worries being away for the next 4 -5 days to do some snowmobiling. It's soooo nice to be able to leave it on autopilot...at this point the room stays within 2 degrees of 70 F night and day. Optimal for growth, growth, growth.

So my girls will have a nice week and I hope you all do too. I will be the guy barrelling through the frozen North at about 80 miles an hour with a joint hanging out of my mouth.

Peace, Hyena

Have fun bro!! Killin it! Ur girls look like lil cabbages! I will post pics of my Hyenas finally got them on the right track! Pretty soon gonna hit them wit the big led!! Have fun n dont kill urself!!

Hi hyena. I'm the roosters wife. I was very excited to find your thread as the rooster reads me your stories from time to time because he knows I love them you should write books or something. Love hearing your updates and laughing. Subbed

Hi hyena. I'm the roosters wife. I was very excited to find your thread as the rooster reads me your stories from time to time because he knows I love them you should write books or something. Love hearing your updates and laughing. Subbed

Well, glad to have you. About time someone posted something sensible from your IP address... :thedoubletake:

I would share with my wife but that would be game over. However, I'm sure you would be good friends. You both married crazy men.

Peace, Hyena

Hey hey! It's the

PROJECT 27 UPDATE

How fast can cannabis grow for heaven's sake...?!

20180209_115139.jpg

It's exactly four weeks since I stuck beans into plugs and look at this!!

It's a regular cabbage patch I tell ya. I feel like I want a salad.

My Hyena Berrys are blowing my mind!

20180209_115019.jpg

These two are gargantuan behemoths. Gargantuan behemoths. Get real high and try saying that five times fast.

The two Sour Jack behind are healthy but dwarfed by the Hyenas.

The other Hyena Berry is pretty big too...it's in the right row, middle, with Big Nugs Fast in front and my Blue Hyena in back:

20180209_115056.jpg

But the three buckets on the left side are by far the best! Big Nugs Fast front and middle, and White Widow getting nice in the back...

20180209_115119.jpg

So, time to string the SCROG! For those who aren't familiar here's my trick to making the SCROG easier:

I use a frame that's re-usable, I just string it each grow then simply cut the strings when I harvest. Simple and easy are two of my guiding principles...mainly so I can understand stuff. The nails hold the twine.

20180209_115410.jpg

I prefer soft cotton twine because it does the least damage to stems and stuff, but also does a great job holding everything down.

20180209_115444.jpg

It only takes about ten minutes to string the whole thing. I keep the tension tight.

20180209_121713.jpg

There! Scrogged.

20180209_124359.jpg

Works great.

On we roll!

Hope you have a groovy night and keep that groove groovin'. You all know who and what I mean...

tumblr_lzz3gpzXjP1qbzvwro1_500.png

Duoh!

Peace, Hyena

Man killin it as always!! Man i keep blue hyena down!! Talking bout reaching for da light!! Hopefully pics work tomorrow so i can show some pics of da HYENAS!! Love the cabbage field and hey who dont love a good salad!! Have a dank day!!

Back
Top Bottom