Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

You gotta clone those girls....they look perfect in every way. Is your cloner a diy? Does it cycle on and off using sprayers/misters to wet the stems? Straight water in the res? I started building one a while back but hit a snag and its on the back burner now. Last time I cloned I made my cuts, dipped them in clonex, put them in a rapid rooter, put them in a container with dome and sprayed leaves twice/day. 100% success rate.

You gotta clone those girls....they look perfect in every way. Is your cloner a diy? Does it cycle on and off using sprayers/misters to wet the stems? Straight water in the res? I started building one a while back but hit a snag and its on the back burner now. Last time I cloned I made my cuts, dipped them in clonex, put them in a rapid rooter, put them in a container with dome and sprayed leaves twice/day. 100% success rate.

The cloner is commercial but I adapted a reservoir to it so I can leave it for a week. 4 times a day a pump in the res comes on and recirculates the cloner res with fresh oxygenated water (with just a hint of nutes and hormones). The misters just stay on 24/7. Worked like a charm last time but it's a little slower because the overall temps are in the 60s. If I could get the environment and reservoir 5-10 degrees warmer it would happen faster. But I'm in no hurry...my goal is to plant these in about 4 weeks.

The moms look special so I simply have to run this again. And maybe again...

Peace, Hyena

Highya HM,

I do like looking at the beautiful colas in the flower tent! Gets one to thinking about how stoned one could get! Happy Smokin'

Man those Indis are beautiful bushes! How old are they?
The rate of growth and ease of maintenance you get makes me want to switch to hydro! Does the PH and PPM of your reservoir not drift when being left alone for weeks? I always read about guys having to check and make adjustments daily.

Man those Indis are beautiful bushes! How old are they?
The rate of growth and ease of maintenance you get makes me want to switch to hydro! Does the PH and PPM of your reservoir not drift when being left alone for weeks? I always read about guys having to check and make adjustments daily.

Thanks, DeeCee!

Those beans hit the water on February 18th, eight weeks ago basically. Healthy little thangs and sooo stout. I need to coax them into wider girls.

PH and PPM drift a bit, but a range between 6.2 and 5.6 that fluctuates actually allows fuller uptake of all nutrients. 5.8 is ideal but you still get better absorption of some mineral salts at 6.0-6.2. If it covers that range over 4-6 days that's fine on balance. I judge everything by the leaf tips, and just have an experienced feel, sort of, for the nutes...I don't measure, just add what I think they need according to where they are veg or bloom using PPM as a reference that's all. I like 1500-1800 through most of the run.

Guys who make adjustments daily need to get a dog. :laughtwo: Seriously, it's a lot of contact and though we all love our plants too much contact is bad for your plants IMHO

But that's another topic!

Peace, Hyena

I like that philosophy and can relate. When a hobby becomes a monotonous task to me it’s no longer a hobby worth pursing so I try to approach growing the same with creative freedoms and feeling out what is necessary and what isn’t.

Hey brother. What kind LEDs you using? And how tall that tent 6'6?

In my 8x8 @ 6'6 tall I use 2x315 watt cmh and a 480 watt samsung lm301h medium bin kingbrite board with uv and ir and 3500k, and then a 240 watt of the same and also 3x240 watt citizen 1212 cob leds bars.

I change my mind alot as u can tell but really just wanted to see what works.

Hey brother. What kind LEDs you using? And how tall that tent 6'6?

In my 8x8 @ 6'6 tall I use 2x315 watt cmh and a 480 watt samsung lm301h medium bin kingbrite board with uv and ir and 3500k, and then a 240 watt of the same and also 3x240 watt citizen 1212 cob leds bars.

I change my mind alot as u can tell but really just wanted to see what works.

Hey Mack,

My lights are HLG-640 Quantum boards from Grower's Lights. The 3 combined deliver the same lumens as 4 1000 watt HPS lamps, and only use 2,000 watts total. That's NO exaggeration as you can plainly see. The tent inside is 6' 6" and I keep them at exactly 6 feet at all times. I used to lower my HPS and other LEDs to keep them within 18-24 inches of the canopy but no need with these they simply barf light.

Obviously you have various lights but in truth they all work fine if you get them set right. Cannabis don't give a damn! Oooh, that should be a T-shirt. A big fat bud in sunglasses flipping the bird with a smoking hot babe on each side.

Peace, Hyena

Hey Mack,

My lights are HLG-640 Quantum boards from Grower's Lights. The 3 combined deliver the same lumens as 4 1000 watt HPS lamps, and only use 2,000 watts total. That's NO exaggeration as you can plainly see. The tent inside is 6' 6" and I keep them at exactly 6 feet at all times. I used to lower my HPS and other LEDs to keep them within 18-24 inches of the canopy but no need with these they simply barf light.

Obviously you have various lights but in truth they all work fine if you get them set right. Cannabis don't give a damn! Oooh, that should be a T-shirt. A big fat bud in sunglasses flipping the bird with a smoking hot babe on each side.

Peace, Hyena

Nice bro. Yeah definately love the quantums.

I got a 315 watt cmh@3100k on 4 plants and another 315 watt cmh@4100k on 4 plants and then I have a 480 watt QB with IR and UV added over 6 plants.

Then I got 2x240 watt @ 3500k cob bars over 6 plants with no added uv or ir and cri is maybe 80
.......I cannot see a difference in growth.

I believe your right. Plants just want lumens and dont care how they get it. Genetics decide the rest.
Alot of people have made arguments that plants grow faster under cmh. I'm just not seeing it.
And all my plants under the cobs grow as fast, produce as much crystal, and blow your dick off when u smoke the finished product as much as the CMHs.

Theres are just my own observations of course.

Next grow I'm gonna do 12 in promix hp and 3 part nutes and 12 in amended living soil with just RO water.

Very excited for that trial. Your plants look amazing. That big bud makes me head spin ‍ :yummy:

Nice bro. Yeah definately love the quantums.

I got a 315 watt cmh@3100k on 4 plants and another 315 watt cmh@4100k on 4 plants and then I have a 480 watt QB with IR and UV added over 6 plants.

Then I got 2x240 watt @ 3500k cob bars over 6 plants with no added uv or ir and cri is maybe 80
.......I cannot see a difference in growth.

I believe your right. Plants just want lumens and dont care how they get it. Genetics decide the rest.
Alot of people have made arguments that plants grow faster under cmh. I'm just not seeing it.
And all my plants under the cobs grow as fast, produce as much crystal, and blow your dick off when u smoke the finished product as much as the CMHs.

Theres are just my own observations of course.

Next grow I'm gonna do 12 in promix hp and 3 part nutes and 12 in amended living soil with just RO water.

Very excited for that trial. Your plants look amazing. That big bud makes me head spin ‍ :yummy:

Thanks bro. I have seen different results from different kinds of lights, but like you said it's all light...the spectrum matters and the lumens matter and that's almost all of it. I like Q boards because they don't attempt to "focus" the light with reflectors, etc., therefore the sidelighting factor is immense and my plants are getting three angles of useful light in many places. So the light height and footprint can make as much (or more) difference than the actual power of the light used. I have proved this through trial and error. Mostly error. :hmmmm:

Peace, Hyena

Okay happy Saturday...here comes another

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

Oh boy, we're pulling into the station soon!

Rolled up to the GH very early yesterday because I wanted to get back to Ohio in time to play some golf. As usual, fun stuff to see and do!

Things are very exciting with one tent 7 weeks into flower...another 7 weeks into veg...brand new clones...OMG!

Let's start with the maturing ladies in Tent #1...

This is the super-exciting last few weeks, where everything you ever did seems SO worth it just to stand for a few precious minutes before a massive hedge of perfect colas and breathe in the perfume...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :yahoo:

The buds are swelling and turning an amazing shade of orange, and from stem to stern I can't find a single leaf tip I don't love. Clones are so homogenous, even though there was a slightly taller and shorter plant involved so there's some varience in height, they are all magnificent and all looking awesome. I can't believe how much better these colas look than last time, all because of an earlier flip that allowed the canopy to be low enough for effective cross-lighting which packs a freakin' PUNCH!

I feed them my new best friend, proved for 3 runs now...TERPINATOR!

It seems to be having an effect. Check out the fullness I'm getting down lower on the colas, in addition to the great frost:

I saw a rogue banana in that last bud and plucked it, but only could find 2 in this entire mass. Not too worried, unless there was a much earlier emergence somewhere that spewed pollen there's simply not time for anything that could result in meaningful compromise. Seeds take a little while.

And these girls are either coming down May 4th or May 11th. Still deciding...as of yesterday's visit I'm liking how ripe the room looks and it seems like 9 more days and it should be ready to harvest. Then I can do it in the 3 days before my vacation, then come right back the next Monday and take it down and bag it.

But I'm wondering, how much could this be if I let it bloom for another week past that? I mean, it will certainly give me more, and though I haven't used a microscope yet I'm pretty sure the trichs are still clear and that these could get bigger. No doubt. So if at all possible I'm going to leave them up 2 more weeks. I'll make that decision next Thursday when I visit for the last time before vacay week. Since it takes 3 days to chop and hang this thing (this one for sure!) I'd love to not have to sweat it right before the trip, just hit it the day after I return all rested and ready for 30 hours of slashing.

Another thing...I just took clones. I checked in on them and sure enough...

They are lookin' good! Man somehow I am nailing this clone thing, it has turned out to be WAY easier than I thought. No roots or anything yet but I know it's coming. It didn't really happen until week 3 last time around but OMG that clone room that's blooming is insane, no problems...I might get seriously hooked on this! How handy to know exactly what's coming!

So they are fine. And now we look in on their mothers "THE INDICA GIRLS"

What a hedge, only 9 weeks since the seeds hit water! And 7 weeks of veg in here...I'm totally impressed. Delhi Friend and Incredible Bulk are some worthy and hardy plants. I ripped another 150 leaves and hardly made a dent but the biomass is spread out pretty well. I debated flipping them; never would I have imagined it would happen so soon but I did it. Even with a modest stretch I figure this will rise another foot and that would be ideal...lots of delicious cross lighting and huge fat Indy colas. Can you believe it, this room already has a more powerful aroma than the almost-finished other one...let's get stinky!

So all is well and reluctantly I left it all, for the three-hour drive back home. Sigh. I know it's wrong but I wish I could spend every day with them...but I can't.

So here I sit at home. At least I have fresh flowers on my desk...

Now you don't see that every day. :love:

Peace, Hyena

Since it takes 3 days to chop and hang this thing (this one for sure!) I'd love to not have to sweat it right before the trip, just hit it the day after I return all rested and ready for 30 hours of slashing.

I'm in the middle of testing something at the moment, but I'll let you know how it goes. It might turn your 3 day "adventure" into a shorter one. So far I'm down to under an hour (actual time spent, not elapsed time) per plant. That's chop, trim, and into a bucket to cure. I still need a few more trials to see how it goes, but so far I'm digging it.

I'm in the middle of testing something at the moment, but I'll let you know how it goes. It might turn your 3 day "adventure" into a shorter one. So far I'm down to under an hour (actual time spent, not elapsed time) per plant. That's chop, trim, and into a bucket to cure. I still need a few more trials to see how it goes, but so far I'm digging it.

Like Prince Charles...I'm all ears!

Peace, Hyena

I'll definitely let you know how it turns out. I need to see it happen several times though before I call it success.

Fingers crossed!

@Hyena Merica whats happening buddy?? Looks like you got yourself a pro setup there. Looks great.

Last time I checked in here you were growing in your attic or something. Times have changed.
GL with your harvest and next round. Looks like a full house.

How are you watering?? Looks like you're totally automated. I am dialing in my water scheme. Going RO but I'm getting high pH (9.0 pH) for some reason. Its bizarre have to treat water with Vitamin C to bring pH down.

We just moved to a different state. Our new place is solar and geothermal powered. We are not off grid but if the grid goes down we stay running. I can run a 15x15 flower room no power/heat/cooling/water cost. We dialing it in now. Not full production yet but next round will be. We had a hic-up with Hemp Mites to get me started. Wow... don't want those again.

@Hyena Merica whats happening buddy?? Looks like you got yourself a pro setup there. Looks great.

Last time I checked in here you were growing in your attic or something. Times have changed.
GL with your harvest and next round. Looks like a full house.

How are you watering?? Looks like you're totally automated. I am dialing in my water scheme. Going RO but I'm getting high pH (9.0 pH) for some reason. Its bizarre have to treat water with Vitamin C to bring pH down.

We just moved to a different state. Our new place is solar and geothermal powered. We are not off grid but if the grid goes down we stay running. I can run a 15x15 flower room no power/heat/cooling/water cost. We dialing it in now. Not full production yet but next round will be. We had a hic-up with Hemp Mites to get me started. Wow... don't want those again.

Hey Bobby thanks for checking in!

Sounds like your new place is nice. Since my grow house (running 2 10x10 tents) costs $300+ a month in power, I admire a self-sufficient setup. But hemp mites sound bad.

Watering, for my setup, is just tap water but I use a pretty good cartridge filter on my hose so a lot of the contaminants are removed (if any). I have always found regular water is fine for my hydrosystems, just making sure the PH is in line. I have a 55 gallon reservoir in one tent and a 100 gallon in the other, going to add to the first after this project is harvested to make it 100 gallons too. But even with 100 I have to replenish every week at most.

Stay tuned for the harvest in a couple weeks. Hope your grows are green and huge!

Peace, Hyena

Our new place is solar and geothermal powered. We are not off grid but if the grid goes down we stay running. I can run a 15x15 flower room no power/heat/cooling/water cost.

Sounds alright alright alright!

I’ll move at some point and the first thing on my list (after good internet) is something like that, plus a wind turbine or two.

Sounds alright alright alright!

I’ll move at some point and the first thing on my list (after good internet) is something like that, plus a wind turbine or two.

My wife found this place its like a dream come true. We dont have any utility bills other than internet. In Philly we were paying a lot of money cost me $300+ monthly just for electric not counting water or gas for heat.

Even if/when the grid goes down we will still have lighting (battery backup) and that will run for a day or 2 without grid. The electric company stopped sending me a bill. Which is weird not complaining but I think they owe us money! We generate more than we consume. I still have to figure out how to get a cash credit! lol

They have a local wind turbine company that makes them for residential/farm use. With a large enough solar array you wont need extra but it'd be nice to have backup plan B

Back
Top Bottom