Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

You are a man of many talents sir!

Hey brother, your grow is looking excellent... Been trying to figure out how your new set up works. Is it a RDWC? I'm sure its fairly simple but I don't quite understand by the pics. Looks like a crazy octopus thingy... Your dutch bucket set up in the "secret grow lab" worked so well why did you decide to change it up?

On another note....I was approved for my "Med Mary Jane Card" today. Still got to file the paperwork BS with the state of MO but I like the direction it's headed. The thought of growing my own cannabis without fear of being locked up sounds really f..ing good to me.

I'm sitting here with all my beans spread out on my desk trying to figure out which ones to pop...Its going to take at least three more miller lites and some NL to get the clarity I need.

Supposed to be 82 here in MO today...My course is under water and has been closed all last week. its open today but i'm not sure If I want to wade the mud or not. Probably not...

- Caddie
28.5 Grams of NL.jpg

On another note....I was approved for my "Med Mary Jane Card" today. Still got to file the paperwork BS with the state of MO but I like the direction it's headed. The thought of growing my own cannabis without fear of being locked up sounds really f..ing good to me.

Great!

If you need a hand or something, hit me up. We're not far away, I'm guessing.

Hey brother, your grow is looking excellent... Been trying to figure out how your new set up works. Is it a RDWC? I'm sure its fairly simple but I don't quite understand by the pics. Looks like a crazy octopus thingy... Your dutch bucket set up in the "secret grow lab" worked so well why did you decide to change it up?
- Caddie

Hey Caddie, my setup is a flood-and-drain. I love the Dutch bucket setup but for it to work properly the buckets must be above the reservoir. I was going smaller in the attic so giving away those 24 vertical inches didn't hurt but in my 10x10 tents I need all the vertical space so flood and drain is the best way.

It's a great system. There's a nice big reservoir barrel and four times a day it floods the buckets to about 2/3, soaks for 15 minutes, then drains it all back. Works very reliably and very few issues plus easy to maintain. I can leave my grow totally alone for up to a week and everything is automatic. The only limitation is the size of the reservoir! The plants root balls sit in a fabric liner "bag" which fits the 5-gallon buckets and the water goes through it, so it keeps the water very clean and adjustments needed to the reservoir are minimal. I had my doubts about leaks and such but I haven't had a drop, the rubber grommets and buckets are well thought out and both my 12-bucket systems have, so far, been great. If there ever was a major leak (there's no pressure anywhere so it's hard to see how a major leak could occur) but if there ever was one the dual liners of my tents would contain a LOT of fluid.

It's awesome to have the confidence to leave it for 5-7 days at a time. I just wish they would legalize growing in Ohio so I wouldn't have to!

Peace, Hyena

So, the buckets flood and drain from the same tube at the bottom of each bucket? Flood with some sort of pump and drain using gravity?

I worked In my grow room yesterday. Set up a temporary 4 bucket area to veg for about 30 days. I’m not completely happy with how I went about it so I’ll probably go back in today and rethink it a bit.

-Caddie

Happy Sunday!

It's another HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

These stretches between harvests are lonely. I LOVE spending time with my plants and now they live in another state so I only get one short visit a week. It's like they're in jail. Well I guess they are, really. :hmmmm: And with everybody self-isolating and social distancing, it's like we're all in jail. Boring and it sucks.

So I really look forward to the weekly visit. Friday was the day I rolled up to the GH for a look see and there was lots of nice green girls to look at!

Three weeks into flower, the clones are kicking it...

Even though there are only two mother plants, and each gave six of these clones, there is a height difference between some of them. The mothers both grew to the same height and seemed almost identical. But there is clearly some difference in these clones and I wonder why...we will study the grow and see if it evens out, maybe it's just a rate of growth thing, but it IS puzzling.

However, all the blooms are identical, and now three weeks since the flip and they're coming in everywhere!

So all on track for a May 1st target harvest date. The lower final canopy height will be very productive because the footprint of my 3 lights will remain larger and much more effective. More effective BY FAR because of the sidelighting factor which is diminished the closer the light is to the canopy. I learned so much from the last grow.

Meanwhile, in tent #2,

These Indicas are stout! I'm still impressed with the size and strength of the branches and even the leaves, these girls are really built!

I have said many times I never measure my nutes; I just have a sense for what they need. What I really mean is, I know if anything is lacking by the leaf tips and the PPM. Apparently, nothing is!

Now that they're all established and growing nicely it's time to drop the scrog frame...

With that, the grow is in its final form. Now to just watch it develop and enjoy the show! I have a feeling, just a feeling, that this grow will be extremely productive, maybe astonishingly so. We'll see.

I feel like I put my little darlings in a cage...

Oh well, that's how it is! Now grow you little green beauties!

Only one fleeting hour with my babies and then once more I lock the door and drive away for another week. It's like TV used to be...you have to wait a week for the next episode. Can't wait and yet I must! Arrrrrghh!

So, another boring week of self-isolation...we have a large estate so it's not exactly hell, but being a prisoner in even the most luxurious cage still leaves one a prisoner. I have all the pot I could ever smoke so my task is to try and smoke it.

So I sit and watch the birds, and make smoke jellyfish...

Stay virus-free and have a good week!

Peace, Hyena

So, the buckets flood and drain from the same tube at the bottom of each bucket? Flood with some sort of pump and drain using gravity?
-Caddie

Exactly! A 55-gallon drum (food-grade plastic) with a couple pumps, one in the bottom of the reservoir and one in the "control" bucket (the one the other 12 are all connected to). Four times a day the first timer runs the "flood" pump for about 10 minutes, which is long enough to fill all 12 buckets to about 2/3 full, which soaks the root balls and provides fresh, fully oxygenated water. It soaks for a few minutes then pump #2, in the control bucket, turns on for about 20 minutes, long enough to gently pump all the fluid back into the main barrel. As long as the timers and everything is set correctly, it works like a freakin charm.

Dutch Bucket systems work great too but that extra 2 vertical feet they use is surprisingly important. They worked fine in my attic only because the ceiling height in there is higher than my tents.

There are a good number of flood and drain systems but mine is the Class 5 system and I purchased it from Hi Tech Garden Supply. Got my AgroMax 10x10 tents from them too and I have to say those are the 2 best-built grow tents I've ever seen, except for Gorilla but IMHO those are WAY overbuilt. You know there's always a balance between not enough and too much, in all things really. I would recommend the choices I made without hesitation. They work great and that's the bottom line, eh?

Peace, Hyena

Nice updates, Hyena. I hope it doesn’t get too tricky for you to move freely between home and garden.
Even though there are only two mother plants, and each gave six of these clones, there is a height difference between some of them.
I wonder whether the clones were cut from the same height off each mother? Clones from lower down will root faster than tops. Something to do with hormones.
May be the sort of variation a flesh eating predator of the savannah may have overlooked IDK?

Nice updates, Hyena. I hope it doesn’t get too tricky for you to move freely between home and garden.

I wonder whether the clones were cut from the same height off each mother? Clones from lower down will root faster than tops. Something to do with hormones.
May be the sort of variation a flesh eating predator of the savannah may have overlooked IDK?

Well, I roll up to the GH once a week and it's my relaxing getaway day...used to be a chore but now that we're pretty much stuck in our house it's something I can't wait to do, providing a much-needed break from endless boredom and home improvement projects...

About the varience in clone height (so far), I don't know is the answer...most of this grow has been exactly what I expected but I didn't expect some to be significantly taller than others when both mother plants were identical...these are cuttings, they should all become the exact same plant, right?

Hormones? Maybe. But since whores usually don't moan I have my doubts. :laughtwo: :ganjamon:

Yet some are definitely growing taller...when I expected a homogeneous hedge...hmmm. MAYBE the light footprint...? Probably since it's the only variable.

Either way the whole thing is shaping up pretty well so it's really just an interesting puzzlement. Maybe by chop time everybody will be the same. We should know in about 6 weeks!

Peace, Hyena

You do know how to make a hormone, right?
Don’t pay her.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I don't pay cash for sex. I do, however, pay in every other way ever invented...:ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

I don't pay cash for sex. I do, however, pay in every other way ever invented...:ganjamon:

Yessir. We all pay. Sometimes I wonder if one wouldn't actually cost a whole lot less! :rofl:

It's Thursday, and everybody is bored, soooo why not another

HYENA'S GROW HOUSE update!

With pretty much a societal quarantine in effect, it's a welcome break to drive 160 miles and see my girls! Not much traffic on the highways, and I huff about a fatty an hour so it goes fast.

Tent #1 is a cloney wonderland!

Now four weeks into flower, the slight difference in height is explained. Upon closer inspection, the difference in height corresponds to the two mother plants being slightly different and the clones simply reflect this. It's just random they ended up where they are in the room, so some places area little bit taller than others but it has nothing to do with lighting or anything except they are from two slightly different moms.

Looking at photos of the two original moms from the last grow I can now see one was a bit taller but when I took the clones I'm not sure it was very evident yet so in the cloning future I will be more particular in evaluating what the eventual full-grown plants will look like and where best to place them. Eventually I will be good enough to predict all that and I can stack my grows optimally for light exposure, tallers in back and shorters in front. We are always learning, eh?

But the two moms were otherwise the same and the blossoms now reflect that...a room full of identical buds is appearing!

This will be the first grow where everything is essentially the same everywhere. The canopy has ended up being a very manageable height too, I think the sidelighting overlap will make a BIG difference from the last grow, hopefully producing those rock-hard nugs I got the crop before. Pretty sure they are about done stretching. Nice and dense but lower and hopefully more productive.

So into the Indica grow, as I'm calling it. Folks, these plants are BEASTS.

They are already SO STOUT and the leaves are HUGE. I couldn't be more excited about these girls! So far they are exemplary plants and may indeed live up to the almost-unbelievable hype from Gorilla Seeds. I mean, look at these up close...

The future of this room looks bright.

So I packed it in and drove home. Lately I have had nothing holding me back from smoking and I have done a lot. I'm probably fortunate I didn't get pulled over on the drive home because my car was probably leaking smoke like Cheech and Chong. I can't help it...I like to smoke weed. When we're under stay-at-home orders and nobody is doing anything, what better time?

Plus, I just have a lot. I would put my stash up against Snoop Doggs...

Stay high my friends! :ganjamon: Let me know what you are doing during this down time!

Peace, Hyena

Nice update HM. Fantastic sea of buds starting up.
I’ve had to rearrange the grow room/garage to get 10 metres of firewood stacked. The pinene terps are loud!
That took a couple of days. Massive tidy up was long overdue. Jiggered now, and good to sit down with a hooter and a HM GH Update. Cheers :yummy: :ganjamon:

Looking good HM. Right now that 160 mile round trip has to be a welcome escape from life. Making a deposit at my bank is fun now. I’m pathetic...

Looks like your only problem in the GH is trying to get an even canopy. Real world problems. Don’t beat yourself up to bad.

I’m self employed so not a whole lot to do in the shop lately. Enough orders trickling in to break even which is a win nowadays. My wife’s got me working on a new chicken coop. It’s on the backside of my GR. It’s coming along very nicely. We’re going to have some happy peckerheads. I’m thinking the smell of chicken shit will help cover the dankness later on. Wishful thinking...

Take care and stay safe.

- Caddie

Hey Hyena, as always looking great! How old are the Indicas?

Looking at photos of the two original moms from the last grow I can now see one was a bit taller but when I took the clones I'm not sure it was very evident yet so in the cloning future I will be more particular in evaluating what the eventual full-grown plants will look like and where best to place them. Eventually I will be good enough to predict all that and I can stack my grows optimally for light exposure, tallers in back and shorters in front. We are always learning, eh?

If you know the end result, you could maybe put the buckets with the slightly shorter ones on a small riser or something? Put them on one side of the room and lower the light on that side a tick?

Shouldn't be too difficult to manage now that you know the source. You got this. :D

I’m thinking the smell of chicken shit will help cover the dankness later on. Wishful thinking...

:rofl: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl: :rofl:

Highya HM,

Great pics, as always. Love looking into a sea of colas!! The smell must be awesome. And the next generation in place looking big and strong!! The indica's become you (in growing).

Glad you're doing well through this epic event. Looks like it may be over next month (amid conflicting reports). Depends who's your news provider. Happy Smokin'

Hey Hyena, as always looking great! How old are the Indicas?

5 weeks old as of the last photos...and stout. I like em!

They already stink. :ganjamon:

Peace, Hyena

Back
Top Bottom