Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Hey Everyone!!!
Quick drive by update!!! and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

So as of Sunday I chopped down all of the Xmas bud seed project and it is currently hanging to dry. I was trying to balance the time for drying with my 4 day weekend coming up so hopefully by Saturday or sunday the plants will be dry enough to take the seeds out.

Well as far as the Xmas Bud plants... the overall terpene profile I have to say is actually quite piney and smells like a evergreen tree. Not that deep pine forest but more of the pine bush small tree smell. I definitely am pleased with that :) Its still hard to tell though as they are still wet, so I will definitely know the overall terp profile even better once I am breaking up the buds to recover the seeds, and there are a ton of them!!! It looks like all the plants in the seed project seeded, some definitely much more noticable than others, but it seems all of them did make seeds :) super exciting :)

Well no photo for now as they are just a bunch of hanging half moist plants, but in about 5 days they should be nice packets of seeds to show :) Hopefully I still will get some nice trim to smoke too so I can get a good feel for the high that the xmas buds produce. Overall I am pretty pleased with them, especially being that they were in some 2-3 year old recycled soil and made it through :) tough plants!

Anyhow hope everyone has a great thanksgiving and I hopefully will have some photos up this weekend :)

The deep chunk project is growing right along, and as soon as the other tent is cleared out, I will be making clones of all my strains and getting prepped for the next seed run :). Still debating what the following seed run will be though... I really have been considering... sour grapes, grape 13, white sour grapes, 88G13HP and some lanikea which was bread by ex member here Curso, and some of the mothers of that originated with our fallen warrior BID (rest in peace buddy!). I really have been wanting to run them so its very possible they may make the next round :) only time will tell :)

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving Break... mine was nice, relaxing and too short! lol.

I started de-seeding my harvest and got through 1 of the Xmas Buds, 1 Ogiesel, 1 Mendo Grape Kush and 1 Harlequin and I must say that I am very impressed with how many seeds are mature and coming out of each plant :) I will be doing probably 1-2 per night this week depending on my time available, and hopefully by the weekend be ready to clean out the tent, move over my vegging Deep Chunks and start taking clones of all of the mother strains. :)

Still haven't decided on what seeds I will pop next, but considering: Grape 13, White Grapes, Lanikea, 88G13HP and Sour Grapes... I really would like to get a grape flavor going and all of the above have the ability to fit the bill, other than the 88G13HP. Only time will tell though :)

Well I was going to put some photos up this past weekend, but didn't get as much time to de-seed as planned, therefore I will wait until all plants have been deseeded and then do an update with photos.

I do want to say... the 1st PTK aka 79 Xmas Bud that I deseeded I am extremely impressed with the terp profile!!!! It smells just like an evergreen bush!!! very very piney! I can't say whether its exactly the same thing as I remember in the 90s but this is so close that I am very pleased so far, and only sort of bummed I didn't have any unseeded buds to smoke :) Anyhow, this definitely meets the piney need that I have craved for a long time. Definitely not like a spurce or pine forest pine, but more of an evergreen bush pine which I am still very happy about :) I'm curious how the other phenos will smell upon deseeding :)

Question everyone... need some help.

So for Christmas, I will be traveling to see family for the holidays and will be gone for about a week. In the past I was always using 5 gallon pots, so I could make it a week without worrying about watering and such and usually would get home to some thirsty plants.

This time around, I am only using 2 or 3 gallon pots and they definitely need to be water about every 4 days so I am looking for a cheap solution to water while I am gone...

So far I have seen:
A drip system (not super cheap) but would work with pump and timer
Water bottle drippers (basically a inverted water bottle and a dripper on a stake)
Ceramic watering spikes which seem to slowly ooze out liquid based on capilary action
Water globe/stake things where you fill them up and push it into the soil.

Although I don't want to spend a fortune, it seems the option with the least risk is the dripper system which I think I could probably piece together for around $50 which isn't too bad. Anyone have any suggestions? or used anything in the past that worked?

I am glad you had a good Thanksgiving break and that you had a successful seed run bud! That pine bush smell does sound very nice! Did you smoke any of the de-seeded bud to get a taste?

Well I did try some, but it is not fully dry yet so really only tasted green and not too much anything else. I may try on one of the ones over the next couple nights to see if it has the taste, but definitely the smell is very much evergreen bush :)

I have 2 Xmas Bud females with seed so hoping one has that unmistakable pine scent.

All of my females smell very very similar, so I would say your's most likely will be piney too. I still have to go through the others to see if there is any variation in the pine smell, but all of them have it and fairly strong. Whats odd is it had a very heavy lime smell a few weeks ago which went away.. and now its all pine :)

So last night I de-seeded my trainwreck which is my largest plant, fastest growing and seems to always be the one that pushes all the other plants out of the way... to my surprise though, the seeds were the smallest cannabis seeds I have ever seen. If you have ever owned a parakeet and purchased bird seed for it, the type that is the size of a pencil lead, that was the size of these seeds.

They weren't premature either, they were full tiger striped too and done... crazy to think my largest plant produced the tinyest seeds. I wonder if there is any correlation to the seeds size and any meaning behind it... I think this cross is going to be epic with both plants having extremely piney terps, and with the trainwreck being so fast growing and large, I really hope it passes those traits to the Xmas bud along with the tons of frost!

They say good things come in small packages... but with cannabis seeds does size matter?

Hey @Icemud , I have a lighting idea to toss atcha.

I was having a conversion with someone using a mover, about umols and headroom awhile ago. I'd never thought much about movers - just seemed like a bit of a kludge - but they're actually very interesting when you begin to think about maximum umols and DLI.

Noon sunlight is about 2000 umols. o_O If we try to reproduce that intensity indoors, we fry everything in sight. But ... on a mover it would make sense, and it would probably be beneficial to the plant because it would get short periods of high intensity over the entire plant, from one side to the other. That also solves issues with leaf shading - in a natural manner.

:hmmmm:

Very intriguing for commercial applications. You could do a diffused background with panels or strips, and then run big honkin' HIDs or COBs on movers. Diffused light can't ever be anything but bright-cloudy. Adding a moving high intensity source would better mimic outdoor conditions at very little additional cost.

:bongrip:

I used a 6' mover with a Perfect Sun 1000 light and it worked great but the heat in my 4x4 was just too much. Deal with the heat from a big HID or LED and it will rock big time.

So last night I de-seeded my trainwreck which is my largest plant, fastest growing and seems to always be the one that pushes all the other plants out of the way... to my surprise though, the seeds were the smallest cannabis seeds I have ever seen. If you have ever owned a parakeet and purchased bird seed for it, the type that is the size of a pencil lead, that was the size of these seeds.

They weren't premature either, they were full tiger striped too and done... crazy to think my largest plant produced the tinyest seeds. I wonder if there is any correlation to the seeds size and any meaning behind it... I think this cross is going to be epic with both plants having extremely piney terps, and with the trainwreck being so fast growing and large, I really hope it passes those traits to the Xmas bud along with the tons of frost!

They say good things come in small packages... but with cannabis seeds does size matter?
I have seen it mentioned that usually sativas will have smaller seeds while indicas will have larger ones. How true it is I cannot say. I have seen seed size variation even in a pack of seeds from the same batch. It is interesting that your largest plant gave the smallest seeds. I am interested in seeing you hunt that cross. I am sure there are winners in there.

My Xmas Bud plants are on the small side, what about yours?

They definitely grew like other indica doms that I have, as they were slow to veg, didn't stretch at all when flipped to flower. They did like topping though :)

Its hard to say though because I ran mine in some very old recycled soil, so everything was struggling in the recycled soil. Surprising the Xmas Bud actually did very well in it but still was very slow to grow. I started them way back in I think april or May and just finished them so for like a 4 month veg period, they only were about 3' tall total, pretty short plants. :) Really hoping that the cross with Trainwreck will keep the pine terps, but help increase the plant size and growth rate :) we will see :) One of the 2 males I used in this project was really tall, the other was extremely short..

Back
Top Bottom