Icemud's 2018 Journal: Pine Tar Kush Pheno Hunt & More

Quick update everyone!!!! Today makes day 58 of flowering from the flip.

The girls are now all showing seed formation and the pods are starting to split which means we are getting close to the end of the run. I will probably wait another 2 weeks just to make sure the seeds are nice and mature with the tiger striping on them as I am in no rush since my "sour grapes" vegging project still needs time anyhow.

The deep chunks were actually much less "worked" that I had expected, where 4 of the 5 phenotypes of females had very leafy, ugly buds, and only 1 of the phenotypes is a select keeper. I am happy to get one though and not sure what I will be doing with the seeds from the "ugly" phenotypes... maybe there is some gold in them... but I find it probably unlikely.

One of the 5 female phenotypes hermied on me, as I caught the banana sticking out of the top of the bud the other day. It could be stress induced as that particular strain has some issues with the leaves dying off quickly and I'm not sure what exactly is the cause as all of the plants are fed the same feedings. I am wondering if there is some type of soil disease or maybe its just tempermental but the buds are definitely losing leaf fast. This sucks to know this one hermied as this was the 2nd best phenotype in terms of bud structure, terp smell and trichomes... oh well.. those will now be classified as potential hermies.

Other than that I am excited to have this project almost wrapped up and really excited to move forward with the upcomming sour grapes project, and then the pine tar kush :)

Full Tent Views

Best Deep Chunk Phenotype:

Ugly leafy phenotype of deep chunk

Hermied Phenotype of Deep Chunk

Black Cherry Soda

Mendo Grape Kush

Gorilla Glue

Skywalker OG

Trainwreck

Looks great, Brother! :bravo:

Have you done any sampling, yet? I wouldn't discount the "ugly leaf" pheno's before you start sampling!

IMHO, there are four things to look for when selecting the P1's including, first and foremost, the potency/high/effect. Then it's vigor/structure/resistance to disease & hermies, yield, and cycle time.

If those four things are good, I'm not that worried about what the leafs look like! ;)

In fact, I do believe it was someone who looked just like you and was using your screen name who said the "ugly" PTK pheno was the best of that group, right? I sure hope so, cuz' I got me one of these:

:rofl:

Looks great, Brother! :bravo:

Have you done any sampling, yet? I wouldn't discount the "ugly leaf" pheno's before you start sampling!

IMHO, there are four things to look for when selecting the P1's including, first and foremost, the potency/high/effect. Then it's vigor/structure/resistance to disease & hermies, yield, and cycle time.

If those four things are good, I'm not that worried about what the leafs look like! ;)

In fact, I do believe it was someone who looked just like you and was using your screen name who said the "ugly" PTK pheno was the best of that group, right? I sure hope so, cuz' I got me one of these:

:rofl:

Very true :) I did have an ugly PTK pheno with leaves just like yours... and it was the most piney and terpy of the bunch :) Thanks for the advice :) I will be keeping all of the seeds, but definitely the winning pheno had something in terms of vigor and bud structure that none of the others had, and the terps of it were definitely far superior to the others. However, there very well might be magic in the ugly ones too :)

haha :) thanks for reminding me that ugly doesn't equival bad :) I have hope!!!

Alright everyone.. gather round, gather round!!!!

I feel like a boxing fight or mma announcer right now..... IIIIIITTTTTTSSSS TIIIMMMMMEEE, FOR THHHEEEE MAAAIIN EVENT OF THE EVENING!!!!!....LOL

So as of yesterday, day 73 of flowering on my Deep Chunk Seed project, I pulled the plug on it and all of the plants were cut, de-fanned and hung in my grow tent. Harvest time!!!!!

I'm hoping that I gave all the girls enough time to bear some nice seeds for me, with lots of tiger stripes, so we will know in about a week, to week and an half how well I did on this project.

I will save my final Deep Chunk Phenotype reports until after the harvest and the drying has taken place, but here are some of the details....

A recap: (for those that may have joined late).

This project featured 8 deep chunk regular seeds, sourced from Hazeman at Infinity Genetics under the name Monkey Balls. According to Hazeman, he said that monkey balls is a select pheno of Tom Hill's deep chunk. Out of the 8 seeds that were planted, 5 were female, 2 were male, and 1 never made it.

My goal for this project was to use both males, to do an open pollen release to allow for more variation within the IBL Cross with itself, which would hopefully allow for more variation down the road when I run the progeny (resulting seeds). I also have about 8 other strains which I have gathered over the last 5-7 years, which I have been maintaining, and I wanted to cross each of these with deep chunk as well. The strains that were pollinated were: Trainwreck, GDP, Mendo grape Kush, private reserve og, skywalker og, gorilla glue, black cherry soda and harlequin.

Out of the 5 female Deep Chunk aka Monkey balls, only 1 phenotype was really up to my standards as an excellent "keeper" which exhibited very good vigor (growth speed, size and health), great bud formation and density, great trichome production and very pungent terpenes, which was phenotype #5. The smell on this was was very very offensive (in a good way) but smelled like a mix of hot sweaty armpits from someone who eats a ton of garlic, mixed with a skunk and a baby diaper... just pungent as heck and very very strong.

A second female (pheno #4) also had all of these traits and would have been my 2nd choice select pheno, however very late in flowering it popped out a single banana, which could be a result of my doing, as I gave a dose of too strong of nutrients, which this phenotype did not like at all, but it also shows me that the genetics are weaker than the others, and have a possibility to carry this trait on. I was kind of bummed on pheno #4 about the banana, because the terps on this one were very very pungent, and smelled like new carpet mixed with hot rubber/asphalt... I was really excited about this one because of the terps, so that may exite my interest to pop these in the future to see what comes of them. Obviously there still may be gold in the offspring, but they aren't the main line that I will probably use in the future for pheno hunting.

The other 3 females really didn't meet my standards at all. 2 of the females were very slow growing and short, very very leafy with very little bud/calyxs, very low trichome production, and virutually no smell/terps. I will probably still keep the seeds and someday pop them for fun, but they definitely were not anything that I was proud of or wanting to use for future breeding. The last female was right inbetween the 2 worst and 2 best. It was a midsize plant, with very leafy buds, but decent structure and girth. The terpenes/smell wasn't the strongest, but wasnt the worst either. The trichome production was about middle of the road as well. Again not a select pheno at all, but mayby down the line may be fun to pop and see what happens.

Anyhow, This grow went really well, and while its very hard to keep 9 strains happy in a single grow, using the same nutrient feedings etc.... I managed fairly well to pull this grow off. Some of the strains, like trainwreck really could have been pulled a few weeks ago, however I use my grow tents also for drying/odor control so I had to wait on the early girl harvests, so that I could assure the rest of the later finishing ones had time to mature the seeds.

So anyways... I will be doing a final report once dried, deseeded and I get a full opinion of the terp profiles and such... I may try smoking some, depending on if I can get enough of the seeds out, and pack a bowl of bud withouth seed pieces as I don't want to ruin the experience.

Here are the photos :) Enjoy and thank you all for following along!!!

Trainwreck full of Trainwreck x Deep chunk seeds:

Skywalker OG: Full of Skywalker OG x Deep Chunk Seeds:

Private Reserve OG: Full of Private Reserve OG x Deep Chunk Seeds:

Mendo Grape Kush: Full of Mendo Grape Kush x Deep Chunk Seeds

Harlequin: Full of Harlequin x Deep Chunk Seeds

Gorilla Glue: Full of Gorilla Glue x Deep Chunk Seeds:

GDP: Full of GDP x Deep Chunk Seeds *This plant was much younger than the others when flipped to flowering and wasn't really even rooted much when flowered.

Deep Chunk (Phenotype #8): Full of IBL Deep Chunk Seeds

Deep Chunk (Phenotype #7): Full of IBL Deep Chunk Seeds

Deep Chunk (Phenotype #4): Full of IBL Deep Chunk Seeds (2nd best phenotype, but threw a single banana)

Deep Chunk (Phenotype #2): Full of IBL Deep Chunk Seeds (This one was the middle of the road phenotype)

Black Cherry Soda: Full of Black Cherry Soda x Deep Chunk Seeds. (Ive never seen my Black Cherry Soda get this purple before, generally it is either very light purple or none at all. Might have been the blend of synthetic and organic nutrients I ran this run). Smells like a mix of pink bubblegum and fruit punch juice.

And the Best for last!!!!
Deep Chunk (Phenotype #5): Full of IBL Deep Chunk Seeds. This is the Winning Select Phenotype, and wow was it beautiful!!!

Awesome job, Brother! :bravo:

You're gonna have some fun finding all the keeper phenos in all those seeds you're gonna have! It may take you 20-30 years, but it will be fun! :yahoo:

Awesome job, Brother! :bravo:

You're gonna have some fun finding all the keeper phenos in all those seeds you're gonna have! It may take you 20-30 years, but it will be fun! :yahoo:

Thanks Mr. Krip!

I didn't know you were staff with 420 mag... thats awesome! Congrats on that!!!!

Yea I now have enough seeds to last me the rest of my life... LOL... but still will be making more :) I have at least 3-4 more projects I forsee in the near future... but I may have to break away to grow some flower for myself too... :) lol.. havent even smoked any or my own flower in a couple years now... just seed projects.

Thanks Mr. Krip!

I didn't know you were staff with 420 mag... thats awesome! Congrats on that!!!!

Yea I now have enough seeds to last me the rest of my life... LOL... but still will be making more :) I have at least 3-4 more projects I forsee in the near future... but I may have to break away to grow some flower for myself too... :) lol.. havent even smoked any or my own flower in a couple years now... just seed projects.
Thanks, Bro! The title is recent.

Dude, I can't even imagine all those grows and no buds! :thedoubletake:

Although, I guess I understand based on my situation....

I'm trying to start my breeding project but plan to do it in conjunction with my main grow. The plan was/is to flip my breeding cabinet when I'm two weeks from harvest. Then, by the time any males start releasing pollen, the main crop will be harvested.

After a couple more weeks, when the males are done, I'll pull & dispose of them and start the next main crop.

That being said, I literally just harvested my main crop over the last few days and, unfortunately, those PTK's, which I was hoping to get the male(s) from, are EXTREMELY slow growers and they just weren't ready to put into flower yet so now I have to either delay the next main crop (NOT happening) or wait another 60 days, or so, to start the breeding project (WILL happen).

So, being able to focus on the breeding is definitely a plus. I just go through enough product between myself and taking care of my Dad that I need to make sure there's a constant supply of med's. :bong:

It will be great when you get to take some time and grow out some of your babies! :cheer:

Thanks, Bro! The title is recent.

Dude, I can't even imagine all those grows and no buds! :thedoubletake:

Although, I guess I understand based on my situation....

I'm trying to start my breeding project but plan to do it in conjunction with my main grow. The plan was/is to flip my breeding cabinet when I'm two weeks from harvest. Then, by the time any males start releasing pollen, the main crop will be harvested.

After a couple more weeks, when the males are done, I'll pull & dispose of them and start the next main crop.

That being said, I literally just harvested my main crop over the last few days and, unfortunately, those PTK's, which I was hoping to get the male(s) from, are EXTREMELY slow growers and they just weren't ready to put into flower yet so now I have to either delay the next main crop (NOT happening) or wait another 60 days, or so, to start the breeding project (WILL happen).

So, being able to focus on the breeding is definitely a plus. I just go through enough product between myself and taking care of my Dad that I need to make sure there's a constant supply of med's. :bong:

It will be great when you get to take some time and grow out some of your babies! :cheer:

Yea its been a while since I have smoked anything that I grew. I did have a buddy of mine who grow some of my "black and Tange" which was black cherry soda x tangie and threw me a good bunch to try out. It was actually amazing, tasting like a orange dreamsicle. But yea other than that I have had to rely on dispensarys and deliveries nearby, which obviously isn't a bad option, but must better if it was my own fruits of my labor.

Its funny, that now that I work in the legal cannabis industry, I hardly even smoke anymore. I pretty much smoke friday nights and saturdays and that's it. Being a compliance manager for 2 different license types and all the regs that surround this industry its just so hard to keep up that I need to have a clear head to make the right decisions on a daily basis... Never expected the legal weed industry would be what prevented me from smoking...LOL The good thing is that a little goes a long way now, as just a few tokes and I am good to go :)

Those PTK's took forever to veg. I definitely know in my case my recycled old soil also influence that, but I think I vegged mine for a good 3-5 months or something like that... it definitely took forever! But the straight pine terps are so worth it :)

Yea, the juggling of growing space I am definitely getting better at, but it seems that always I am being thrown for a loop hear and there. So hard managing so many strains and plants in a small little space. I'm definitely going to be reducing the amount of strains I keep in the near future. The problem is I love them all so much, which do I let go :) lol

Nice job Pheno Hunting Ice!
In 100 Years your great-grandkids will be checking out your stuff and they'll pull out a 6ft chest filled to the brim with seeds from the good ol days.

If and when I have kids... and they have kids... LOL...

Definitely would like to have children, finally getting to that point of life and maturity where now it would be a blessing :), just gotta find the lucky lady :) lol

Yea I definitely want to leave these strains to someone in the long distant future that really will love them like I love them. I guess I better start hitting the dating market soon to make that a reality... LOL. I've been a bachelor so long, I don't even remember the last time I even went on a date let alone dated someone...lol.

Very true :) I did have an ugly PTK pheno with leaves just like yours... and it was the most piney and terpy of the bunch :) Thanks for the advice :) I will be keeping all of the seeds, but definitely the winning pheno had something in terms of vigor and bud structure that none of the others had, and the terps of it were definitely far superior to the others. However, there very well might be magic in the ugly ones too :)

haha :) thanks for reminding me that ugly doesn't equival bad :) I have hope!!!

Ya see! This is what would make breeding dificult for me. I wouldnt want to kill any of the plants and would want to help them all live! This is where I get into trouble everytime i go to take clones. lol! I always take extras, just in case, but honestly my clone game has been pretty strong lately so i always have to many cuttings going and never want to let any of them go. Maybe some kind of hoarder on the secret super down low...
Anyways, Just thought id drop in real quick and say "high!" Hope things are all good with you and yours on the homefront Icemud. Going back to catch up a little more now.
dueces Sparks

:rollit:

If and when I have kids... and they have kids... LOL...

Definitely would like to have children, finally getting to that point of life and maturity where now it would be a blessing :), just gotta find the lucky lady :) lol

Yea I definitely want to leave these strains to someone in the long distant future that really will love them like I love them. I guess I better start hitting the dating market soon to make that a reality... LOL. I've been a bachelor so long, I don't even remember the last time I even went on a date let alone dated someone...lol.

Lol! Good luck to you brother. Alots changed since the 90's! Lol! Sorry. I cant even talk. Been married to the old ball and chain for going on 27 years now! Was a time when i was young and handsome, and fast and angry, burning the old candle at both ends, going nowhere in a hurry! Then got lucky. She took pitty on me and put up with my bullshit for all the years and raised a couple of very good young adults. I wouldn't even know the first thing to do or say in any kind of dating situation at this point in my life! I can only wish you the best of luck out there! But I do beleive that we people belong in couples, and raising children. They give us a chance to be better than were... Lifes just one big learning and teaching trip.
Nothing but respect, Spark

Back
Top Bottom