Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Hey Everyone...

So Quick update time:

Fruity Pebbles OG project:

Tonight makes the last day/night of the veg cycle as I have set the timers to 12/12 and tonight will make the plants 1st full 12 hours of darkness.

All clones of the "mothers" have rooted with the exception of 3 which were taken about 2 weeks later than the rest, so they should be ready for soil about any day now. I took a clone of 3 Orange Fruity Pebbles OG females, and they are also in the mother tent. I plan on waiting a while until the OFPOG in the flowering tent start showing flower and trichomes which will allow me to see which ones are more frosty and which carry more terpenes and then I will pick the best 1 or 2 clones to include in my next seed project, and possibly further projects.

I have not yet decided what seeds I am going to pop next, and I am still debating between the DJ short blueberry, and the chocolate thai. I am still leaning towards the DJ short blueberry for 2 reasons, one because its a heavy indica which I don't have enough in my garden, and also because the breeder that "barrowed" the seeds to me, I owe some replacements and I would rather pay my debts first as I hate owing people things... However the Chocolate Thai is so unique and rare to find in the market, It really has me wanting to do those instead.. ... I will be making a decision in the next week or 2, so I will update when I choose.

Other than that, the fruity pebbles plants are looking really good. 2 of the males are already showing pollen sacks while still under 18/6 lighting, but I will keep them in the project as my goal is open pollination and variation in the progeny for later pheno hunting.

I will update with some photos in a few days... didn't take any becasue I just watered the girls and their leaves were pretty wilty... so I will wait until they perk up.

Have a great evening everyone !

Orange Fruity Pebbles OG photo update....

So today would make the plants first day after 12/12 night, and I wanted to share a couple pics. All of the OFPOG plants look happy so far and have been pretty easy to grow, and very very vigorous in growth. They definitely have long internodes like most OG's, but the leaves look completely different than most ogs, as well as the smells on these.

2 of the males are already showing pollen sacks as you will see in the photos.

The male looks to be leaning a little sativa. Could be a good thing.

I noticed that too, that a few of them definitely have much blunter, shorter fatter leaves and some have much thinner leaves. Quite a bit of variation in these actually, which I like :)

So yesterday when I was snapping photos of the Orange FPOG, I noticed what looked like water or drips of sweat on the leaves. Now I definitely know it wasn't from me, so I wiped some on my finger and smelled it and it smelled slightly like cannabis.... and then I realized 2 things.... I have poor air circulation because my small fan broke, which is really horrible for growing plants... and 2) I may have figured out what those little drops/crystals forming on the stems were from... *mentioned a while back in my Apollo project..

Anyhow... I just got back from the store and picked up a 8" fan to put into the tent and give the poor girls some much needed airflow.

This actually brings me back to a few years ago, working with big AG professionals while we were having a consulting conversation about setting up a commercial tiered vertical style grow... One of the biggest concerns of the AG professional (people who were responsible for designing and running million squarer foot farms and worked for huge corporate international firms)... Was Air movement and airflow. They said it is the upmost importance when designing a facility (not a home grow but an actual commercial facility) to have 3d wind mapping/modeling done of the airflow, turbulance and proper HVAC design to ensure the plants have good air/moisture exchange...

Anyhow, I realized that I was actually hurting my grow by being lazy and not going to replace my circulation fan... So now.. done and done.. I just have to hang it when the lights come on later today...

Also if you look at the photos, and you will notice that the edges of the leaves are "tacoed" or folding upwards. This generally is a results of 2 things.. either russet mites (I know this is not the issue I have), or the plants are trying to release moisture because they are hot... The folding/taco of the leaves, is similar to after running a race, putting your arms in the air to let your armpits breathe and let the breeze help remove the sweat, and cool your body. Same concept with plant leaves. They fold upwards to expose their stomata which allows for better air/moisture exchange and to help the plant cool.

Anyhow, sorry to my girls.. I was working them too hard.. and now they can enjoy some fresh needed breeze.

Quick update on the Orange FPOG project.

Well as of now, we have only 2 females and 5 males of the Orange Fruity Pebbles OG. Kind of wish I would have gotten a more even mix... Poor Girls!!! lol Well I hope that the 2 females are godesses and show their magnificence in flowering :)

What I do like, is that each female had entirely different terp profiles in an earlier stem rub.. .One was sweet oranges and dank smelling, the other was a chemical leather with a hint of citrus... Makes me very interested in how they will flower out.

Other than that, just trying to keep the temps down during this heatwave we are having. I don't have AC so my plants pretty much are at the mercy of the outside weather as my windows almost always stay open... Luckily I run my cycle at night so the majority of the "daylight" cycle is after the daily cool down happens :)

Well hope all is well for everyone!!! Some crazy stuff in the world going on....

The males will insure that there’s plenty of good stuff in the offspring. The worlds took a big shit for real.

I was debating whether I should pull the early developing males, but on second thought I decided to keep them in since it will offer more variation in the future progeny.

Anyone know of any techniques that will ensure more females in the offspring? I haven't researched this at all yet, so not sure if its luck of the draw, or if there is any type of tricks of the trade that may increase the amount of females in the offspring... I will look into it to see if I can answer my own question.

I’ve heard temps during germination and the seedling phase can influence sex but I’d have to read up on it.

Hmm.. maybe I'll wait until this heatwave is over to pop seeds for the next project until after this heatwave we are having... I think I have heard that before too...

I will do some research on it, would be interesting to know.

Good suggestions/knowledge!

OK, so I found one article that mentions quite a few things on how to get more females than males, but it has more to do with after you plant the seeds, increasing the ratio of female to male. I like to validate info, especially in this industry but I will put some bullet points up they discussed, and will look into them in more detail when I get a chance.

• They basically start by saying stress in seedlings causes more males, so everything you can do to keep them stress free the better your odds are at getting more females. No spikes in nutrients, no light leaks, steady light schedule..etc..
  • They mentioned that on average, cannabis usually gets about 75% males. (Makes me feel pretty happy with some of my past projects..)
  • It mentions that decreasing the daylight time during veg from 24 to 18 helps promote more females, and to 16 or 14.5 even increases it more.. it says the shorter the better and can increase the likelyhood by 75 to 100%
  • The article says that using a blue light heavy spectrum over red in veg increases the female tendencies in the vegging plants
  • It mentions a Nitrogen reducing potassium in veg can help promote more females, higher potassium gives more male potential.

So again, this was from just some random article I found, with no scientific links or proof of these things, so I can't verify or vouch for any of these things until I find more information or proof, but its a good starting point.

I also want to see if there is a way through breeding, and male selection that may help increase the female ratio.....

So at least this is a good target to start researching more.. :)

I was debating whether I should pull the early developing males, but on second thought I decided to keep them in since it will offer more variation in the future progeny.

Anyone know of any techniques that will ensure more females in the offspring? I haven't researched this at all yet, so not sure if its luck of the draw, or if there is any type of tricks of the trade that may increase the amount of females in the offspring... I will look into it to see if I can answer my own question.
Hi Icemud, I read(or listened to a podcast) the other day that said around the third week is important to not stress seedlings. The more stress, the more males. Wish I remembered where I got that. Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom