Icemud's Breeding Projects And Motherchucking Pollination Extravaganza

Hi Icemud, I read(or listened to a podcast) the other day that said around the third week is important to not stress seedlings. The more stress, the more males. Wish I remembered where I got that. Oh well.
I've read the same article somewhere so it should be findable. Yet. I just don't know if one really wants to fvck with Mother Nature. :rofl:

They basically start by saying stress in seedlings causes more males
I've heard the same thing! :thumb:

They mentioned that on average, cannabis usually gets about 75% males

On this, I've heard that it's actually 65% Female and 35% Male. Since one male has the ability to pollenate multiple females, not as many males are needed. I forgot where I had read this but I think it was one of the seed companies? :hmmmm:

Quick photo update...

Here is a clone of each of the female Orange Fruity Pebbles OGs. I took a clone of each, which I will be using in upcomming seed/pollen projects, IF I decide that the phenotype was worthy of such... Personally I have a feeling its going to be epic, so I'm excited to have them participate in future seed projects...

Here are my breeding notes on both phenos:

Pheno #3. During topping this pheno had a good terp profile, not as strong as the others but still quite strong. The smell profile was a good blend of orange with the skunky dank smell of pheno 5.

Late Veg:phentotype 3 was also a very nice structured plant, with beautiful leaves. This pheno is definitely female as it’s the only one that I spotted with white pistils. On a stem rub its not as potent in strength as the other two, but also very good smelling almost like a orange hot wax with a slight chemical dank.

Pheno #5 during the topping had a very very strong stem rub smell of rubber, skunk and dank. Definitely very potent.

Late Veg:This pheno has very nice node spacing, leaf formation is beautiful. The terps on a stem rub are definitely very pungent in strength. Hard to describe but a sharp chemical rubber leather with a hint of citrus, almost like a strong industrial cleaner smell. Thus far this pheno looks female.

Here are the girls:

Gorgeous plants, I’ve always liked Obsoul33ts gear.

I've heard a lot of great things about his gear, I believe he was responsible for much of the "alien" gear from what I read... The only concern, is I heard a lot of the "orange" crosses have been rumored to have hermie tendencies, however I've seen both sides of the argument on other forums, so I hope that its not true... LOL.

I have read a lot of good things though about his work, and especially this particular strain a lot of people say is really really dank! I'm excited :)

Still debating which seeds I"m going to run next... but really leaning towards the Chocolate Thai now.. Something about Chocolate thai x fruity pebbles making "coco pebbles" lol would be awesome... as well as Chocolate Thai x birthday cake = chocolate cake sounds fantastic!! Haha...

I also am tempted though to run some Alien Antifreeze by Mycotek.. its 3 chems x WIFI Alien and I have 3 regular beans of these...

I also was considering running some GMO x Frozen Margy by cannarado...

So many seeds, so little time.. LOL.

I was looking at Red Thai from Snowhigh.
Looks fantastic!

Definitely looking to get some Thai in my garden... I was looking up DJ short blueberry and it actually has thai in it as well :)

I've been eyeballing getting some south american landraces in my collection :)

Announcement!!!!! The decision has been made...

You may ask.. what decision.. well... here it is...

The next project will be..........

Chocolate Thai!!! Due to popular demand, and some back and forth for the past month, I decided tonight to pop 6 chocolate thai seeds into water to crack, and thus, my next seed project has begun! I would have preferred to do more than 6, but that means I would have to reduce my "mothers" in order to fit them all into the project... I will have 1 more space available after the Orange FPOG start to bud as I will be choosing 1 of the 2 clones to bring into the chocolate thai project. Once I do, I may pop 1 more chocolate thai seed to get as much variety as I can... I mainly hope to get at least 2-3 females, but only time will tell.

Now this Chocolate Thai, is pretty much the closest think you can get to the real deal that is commercially available as I understand. The story is a little confusing but seems that the Chocolate thai 2.5 made by Drawoh, is (chocolate thai F3 x Big Sur Holy weed) x Chocolate Thai F2. This is whats dubbed Chocolate Thai 2.5.

So the beans of chocolate thai I got are from Hazeman. These were a limited run he did about 8 months ago and I had to have them.. These Chocolate Thai beans are F4, and Hazeman made them by crossing Drawoh Chocolate Thai 2.5 x Drawoh Chocolate Thai 2.5. I asked him about the phenos and he told me he saw 2 phentypes for bud structure, where one was very pinecone like, and the others were less dense and more foxtailed. I also asked the Male Female ratio and he said its about 1 male to 4 females.

So its mostly chocolate thai and I'm stoked!! I don't believe anyone has anything closer to the original than this... which is awesome!!!

I can already see the cross names now :) yum!

I've never personally tried Chocolate Thai, so I'm excited about that.. I have had Chocolope, from DNA genetics which was fantastic and definitely very chocolate tasting, so really excited to have the real deal too :)

Well Anyhow, the seeds are in water, and should crack over the next few days.. Super Excited on this one!!!!

I’m torn between the Red Thai and Snows Acapulco Gold preservation. I’ll decide tonight one way or another

Thats a tough toss up... I don't know which I would choose... but I guess probably would go with the Red Thai...but I think either would be an excellent choice.. :)

Quick Orange Fruity Pebbles OG project update:

So today I was checking the girls to make sure their temps were staying ok through the heat wave. They are a little warmer than normal but not too bad sitting around 85F low canopy and 91F canopy top. A little warm for my liking but not much I can do when I'm at the mercy of the weather outside. I turned the LED grow lights down 1/2 power each, so in total I'm running right now (6) cobs at 50w each. (generally I flower under approx 600w of led, combo of COB and OSRAM blurple chips) in my trusty Budm@sters. This definitely helps to keep the temps low, but as soon as it cools off, I will be turning them back to full power.

Well I"m really glad that I decided to give my plants a thourough look while I was in the tent. I was checking for any potential hermies since I read that others who have grown some of this breeders gear with the Cali-O cross, have had hermi issues. (intersex plants). Well I am so glad that I had a careful eye as... I found a hermi..

Here were my breeding notes on recently deceased pheno 7:
(HERMIE) shares the same terp profile as pheno 3 and 5. It has a dank skunky rubber smell, very potent (medicine smell). This one has almost a minty eucalypus smell.
Late Veg: This pheno looks like it is a male.
Early Flowering: Pheno 7 was removed from the grow and culled on day 12 of flowering. This pheno had all male pollen sacks, except for 1 branch which was a intersex flower showing both male and female organs. Luckilly none of the pollen sacks on this pheno were open, so none of the pollen from the hermi had gotten out, thankfully. This plant was immediately destroyed.

I am so glad that I found this early, as this was one of the later forming males so the pollen sacks were definitely close to releasing, but I didn't see any open sacks yet, so hopefully I eliminated any and all intersex traits from the project. Fingers crossed.

Oddly enough, in my Tangie Grow I did a few years ago, I also found hermies.. and really only hermis I have had since. I definitely can see that there may be some truth to what I read about the cali-o having issues.

Well here is a photo of the culprit... All other plants looked fine thus far but I will keep a close watch over the next few weeks.

Quick update on the Chocolate Thai....

So within the 1st 24 hours of the seeds being soaked and warmed, 4 of the 6 seeds cracked open and showed their taproot. All 4 of these seeds were placed into some EB stone Recipe 420 soil with added worm castings. Since the soil was so generous to give me free fungus gnats (like most organic soils I've bought in the past) I am going through my regiments of yellow sticky cards and mosquito dunks in the water with about 10ml of spinosad. This should get rid of them over the next few weeks as it has always worked for me in the past... of all the pests that one could have.. i'll take fungus gnats anyday over those other pesties... lol

So the remaining 2 seeds that didn't pop, I took my knife and slightly scraped the edges of the seeds where the opening is, and put them in some new R/O water and put a few drops of H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide). If these beans don't pop in the next 24 hours, then I will pull 2 more seeds out of my stash and start them from scratch.

Other than that, it will probably be a few days until the planted seeds emerge through the soil. I gave them a watering today of R/O water, a few drops of superthrive, mosquito dunks and spinosad, some biocozyme, some kangaroots (microbes), humic acid and a tiny bit of cal/mag. This was more of a soil prep feeding than anything, and mainly I wanted to make sure I got the mosquito dunks into the soil to kill the fungus gnat larvae as they feed.

Well hope everyone is having a great Friday!

Nice work on finding & executing the twink! Between that & the fungus gnats, looks like this round is keeping you on your toes! :D
I'm happy I found him too..

I am definitely glad its only fungus gnats.. they are super easy to get rid of with the dunks and yellow sticky cards :)

Can’t wait to watch this Chocolate Thai grow. I was eye balling the California Orange S1 from CSI Humboldt. That’s interesting about the oranges showing intersex.

Can’t wait to watch this Chocolate Thai grow. I was eye balling the California Orange S1 from CSI Humboldt. That’s interesting about the oranges showing intersex.

Yea I read about it in the Obsol33t crosses that people were having issues with things he used Cali-o in... The tangie i ran a couple years back had hermies as well, but those I believe were also S1 of some sort because there were zero males, just females and hermies. Odd.

Love that orange tangie flavor though, hopefully the rest of the plants will play nice from now on :)

I’ll look around, CSI Humboldt has California Orange S1’s

I still have a few of the original tangie beans I received years ago.. Also, when a couple of the tangies hermied, I got the S1's from the little bit of pollen that hit other tangies.. It would be interesting to pop some of those just to see if there are any issues.

I also have a lot of the black cherry soda (reversed) x tangie crosses I made. I used 3 different phenos of tangie including the purple one :)

Had a few people grow some of them, flavors ranged from sweet muffin dough to orange cremesicles :)

Back
Top Bottom