In The Lab

Hey just got some of the kit plants into flower and one of em started showing mag deficentcies, the doc still recommend 7 teaspoons per 5 gallons to treat those( I kinda missed a heft part of the middle of this thread)It's an OG (snow high TGK) so it defiantly possible it needs it just don't wanna over mag/sul the soil.

I would top dress it 4 tblspn weekly and just water it in....OG's are like that. Top dress some organic blood meal too.

Since we're on the topic, maybe you guys could weigh in on my bloodmeal and epsom needs.

I'm in 20gallon pots, the last time they got either product, it was about 150mL (dry mixed into the dirt) of each at transplant a month ago.

Now i'm at about day 25, they are gonna get their first Cat today.

They are big eaters and need the N and Mag......how much and how often should I give them? I think they need a good dose coming up to the big eating time.

They are showing a little Mag def already (just a leaf here and there, nothing major), and in the past have faded early, fast and hard (pale yellowing, looking like N def) compared to less needy strains (the more landracey strains I've run don't need anything but straight kit products, and vibrate healthy green all the way to the end, but these mutant strains like a bunch of crap), so I'd like to stay ahead of it.

I think I'm gonna snag some OG drench and use it on like weeks 5-7 out of 9 (would this be correct?)

TYVM!

Since we're on the topic, maybe you guys could weigh in on my bloodmeal and epsom needs.

I'm in 20gallon pots, the last time they got either product, it was about 150mL (dry mixed into the dirt) of each at transplant a month ago.

They are big eaters and need the N and Mag......how much and how often should I give them? I think they need a good dose coming up to the big eating time.

They are showing a little Mag def already (just a leaf here and there, nothing major), and in the past have faded early, fast and hard (pale yellowing, looking like N def) compared to less needy strains (the more landracey strains I've run don't need anything but straight kit products, and vibrate healthy green all the way to the end, but these mutant strains like a bunch of crap), so I'd like to stay ahead of it.

I think I'm gonna snag some OG drench and use it on like weeks 5-7 out of 9 (would this be correct?)

TYVM!

BK, your right on track bud...i like how you talk about the "frankenstrains too! For additional Mg. you are right "on point" my friend....so good to see you getting it looked after before they (the leaves) are yelling at ya to give them some. Here's what to do about it...top dress each 20 gal pot (love your big pots my brotha...:thumb:)
Sprinkle about 4-6 tablspns around each pot and water in at your next drink Ok. The best way to get it looked after right away ,..properly is to give lil bits early on as to NOT force feed with too much all at once OK. If you top dress some in now , before they are screaming for it , you will meat their Mg needs without throwing a big wrench into your soil chemistry OK! Do this a couple times is all...no more. Cheers and have an awesome day bud!:high-five:

TYVM!

I think you'll really like WayAhead10x for this too. Duggan's spot on and said pretty much what I would have said. BTW, landrace will test higher, smoke better and have the "unique" factor we're all looking for. Frankenstrains can be replaced with something better, but our choices are still limited.

I've been using Way Ahead pretty religilously .... for sure the last time i'm runnin these wierdos...

Blood Meal: I find it works really well with the Frankenstrains if used like this:

1. do not include it in the soil at time of transplant. The roots are weak and inefficient to begin with on these strains and the "hot" soil will decrease root growth. Use the blood meal about a week prior to when you would normally Cat Drench.

2. Combine with epsoms

3. Add 1/4 oz WA to every foliar spray

4. They to get a flush every three weeks...IE remove the saucer and top water copiously. Follow the "flush" up with a nice Super Drench the next time they need water....add more blood meal/epsoms AFTER the Super Drench, so that they get watered in the next time.

Blood Meal: I find it works really well with the Frankenstrains if used like this:

1. do not include it in the soil at time of transplant. The roots are weak and inefficient to begin with on these strains and the "hot" soil will decrease root growth. Use the blood meal about a week prior to when you would normally Cat Drench.

2. Combine with epsoms

3. Add 1/4 oz WA to every foliar spray

4. They to get a flush every three weeks...IE remove the saucer and top water copiously. Follow the "flush" up with a nice Super Drench the next time they need water....add more blood meal/epsoms AFTER the Super Drench, so that they get watered in the next time.

Thanks Doc,
If I recall correctly, you said you do NOT reuse the soil after you do one of these strains. I have several strains that include OG or Chem in their pedigree. I intend to use the kit for landrace, heirloom, or strains not too far off from those I just mentioned.

My question is, When would you use the kit soil for the frankenstrains? On the 3rd run and then discard? or perhaps the 4th?

Thanks Doc,
If I recall correctly, you said you do NOT reuse the soil after you do one of these strains. I have several strains that include OG or Chem in their pedigree. I intend to use the kit for landrace, heirloom, or strains not too far off from those I just mentioned.

My question is, When would you use the kit soil for the frankenstrains? On the 3rd run and then discard? or perhaps the 4th?

It's not set in stone, but it seems like 3rd run soil and the Frankenstrains get along best. 4th run soil needs to be cut with something. Fresh promix works for some....and I hear there's some loosely associated misfits and ne'r do well's using a bit of.....
Coco! :thedoubletake: I believe a bit of coco will help with salt and mineral buildup that occurs with soils that have been in service for several generations. I haven't done this but I'm hearing from a few and it is working for them.

Interesting. If I ever try it I'll be sure to journal it.

I've got 3 Skywalkers about 4 days into bloom that are in 1st run soil. I haven't added blood meal yet, but after their initial Transplant watering, I top dressed epsoms which have yet to be watered in. My plan this time is to build as much of a root system as possible by growing in clean, 1st run soil and begin to introduce the high PPM, high energy soil later in bloom, about a week before the Cat Drench, which I'll tone down a bit due to the blood meal and WayAhead.

It will be the third time through with the strain and hopefully I can get it just right. The last harvest was excellent but I felt like I could take it to another level with more familiarity.

Hopefully, all this rambling gives you a bit of insight into how I am currently thinking about these strains. Thankfully, I have that gassy "OG" thing in a huge way with the Lemon Paki. Otherwise, I'd really miss what many consider to be the finest smoke......a really well grown OG type. It's hard to argue with them, really. It's damn good.

Oh....on edit: the soil is nasty after a run. I don't recycle it, which is why I llike 3rd run most of the time. After running a tray with bloodmeal, I've always got more insect pressure. First run soil puts things back in balance.

hmm the flush technique sounds very intriguing, I've never heard anything like it from here.

how much to flush?

guess id have to put them on something in the saucers so that it doesnt make a mess...

It's not set in stone, but it seems like 3rd run soil and the Frankenstrains get along best. 4th run soil needs to be cut with something. Fresh promix works for some....and I hear there's some loosely associated misfits and ne'r do well's using a bit of.....
Coco! :thedoubletake: I believe a bit of coco will help with salt and mineral buildup that occurs with soils that have been in service for several generations. I haven't done this but I'm hearing from a few and it is working for them.

Interesting. If I ever try it I'll be sure to journal it.

I've got 3 Skywalkers about 4 days into bloom that are in 1st run soil. I haven't added blood meal yet, but after their initial Transplant watering, I top dressed epsoms which have yet to be watered in. My plan this time is to build as much of a root system as possible by growing in clean, 1st run soil and begin to introduce the high PPM, high energy soil later in bloom, about a week before the Cat Drench, which I'll tone down a bit due to the blood meal and WayAhead.

It will be the third time through with the strain and hopefully I can get it just right. The last harvest was excellent but I felt like I could take it to another level with more familiarity.

Hopefully, all this rambling gives you a bit of insight into how I am currently thinking about these strains. Thankfully, I have that gassy "OG" thing in a huge way with the Lemon Paki. Otherwise, I'd really miss what many consider to be the finest smoke......a really well grown OG type. It's hard to argue with them, really. It's damn good.

Oh....on edit: the soil is nasty after a run. I don't recycle it, which is why I llike 3rd run most of the time. After running a tray with bloodmeal, I've always got more insect pressure. First run soil puts things back in balance.

Thanks Doc,
You answered my question, gave me more to think on, and would love to see a journal or occasional post/pics should you do a coco run.

It may be way out there for this soil but could I feed amino chelated magnesium instead of the Epsom? So as to not have large salt build ups? I was really hoping to recycle my soil. Also the stuff I have is OG X (pine tar k x purple chitral k) so some older landraceish strain as a parent.

Hey Doc Bud is it just me or do I have something going on these are 3 weeks old today under 600w hm , ph was 5.74 ppm was 459 at 4:00 a.m this morning. The ? Is do the new leaves look a bit light compared to the rest of em. ?? Please help and thank you !

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

420-magazine-mobile405567187.jpg
sorry here is the pic .

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom