InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Hope all is okay shed! :circle-of-love:

Something extra to the conversation about feminised seed that I think it’s worth mentioning in this context:

Feminised seed can be made in more than one way; crossing 2 different female plants by reversing one of them (and these can be either from the same variety or from different varieties). It can also be done by ‘selfing’ which is usually described as crossing a clone with its mother, creating what’s called an S1. Both ways are ‘feminised’.

When the S1 seeds are then backcrossed with the original parent, they’re called S2, S3, etc.

We don’t actually know if the CD-1 is feminised in the first way or S1 feminised.

I’m pretty sure an S1 gen is similar in stability to F1, pretty stable and that S2, which involves backcrossing an offspring of S1 with the original mum, is like F2 and opens up the genetic pool to recessives . Like gray said, sometimes folks do this to look for recessive traits to try and bring into a line.

So when we buy feminised seed we mostly don’t know if it’s simple feminised, S1feminised, or worked down to a stable ‘F’ value and then selfed or if it was worked through the selfed line to produce a stable seed of some ‘S’ value.

Candida is a well stable chemovar and they spent some years stabilising it. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a few generations into being stabilised - but really, unless the breeder shares this info, we have no idea where in the pathway of genetic work a seed is when it comes to us.

this is why I like breeders who say things like “S1 of an F8 stabilised hybrid” etc.

I’m not anywhere near an expert on breeding, just laying out what I know (from various sources) and how I think that effects us in terms of the seed we are lucky enough to get and what can be achieved with it. Which isn’t meant to mean that folks shouldn’t be having a ball working with seed making. Of course we should. I’m just getting into more about the details within that and what we can expect etc.
:Namaste:

So I’m specifically talking about ‘selfing’ a plant whose seed came from a plant grown from ‘selfed’ seed. A selfie of a selfie, so to speak. Which is what we’re doing if we try to reverse a ‘feminised’ female plant.

what most home breeders are working with. it gets a bit less stable if i'm to believe my home cowboys.

mostly because the plant it is selfed from has already been through a genetic program. really depends on the background of the plant you are selfing.

what most home breeders are working with. it gets a bit less stable if i'm to believe my home cowboys.
:thumb:
mostly because the plant it is selfed from has already been through a genetic program. really depends on the background of the plant you are selfing.

^^^ this is exactly what I’m getting at.
:high-five:

a lot of my locals use only reg seed pollen when crossing. the reg female phenos that show the desirable traits from the parents are the ones that get selfed / sts / cs for feminized seed.

there is still a market for reg seed here because of it. some don't even bother with feminized and only breed regs.

other folk i know have gone down a dark hole and we can't trust anything genetically from them. it's all self hermed junk they've convinced themselves is normal. i am saddened and dismayed by this.

I'll get an update here later...but in the meantime, I really should thank all y'all who have been furthering the discussion on reversing the CD-1, and reversing in general.

:thanks:
it's my understanding most good breeders produce feminized seed using female reg plants, once they have the cross they are shooting for. i have nothing to go on, but i think it's a bit more stable.
So breeders need to keep genetically stabilized regular females around to be able to sell seeds produced by selfing those plants, rather than using the plants from seeds they actually sell. Have I got that right?
chemovar (strain)
SweetSue liked chemovar, but @DonkeyDick prefers "variety."
A cultivar, for example is a plant grown from a clone. I have a tent full of cultivars. We use this word to mean strain. It doesn’t.

We could also improve things by losing the word strain when we are actually talking about a variety.
But that's an entirely different discussion!
Use the pollen to pollinate a clone of the pollen donor. Here we only have one set of genes producing seed, giving us offspring that are not “clones” of the mom, but can only have whatever genes mom had.
When I asked in another thread what to call the offspring from this process (back when it even seemed possible ;)), Penny said the seeds would be considered S1since the pollen and seeded plants were clones of the same mother.
By self crossing one of my plants, I may have lost a gene that normally would be expressed in Blue Dream because that particular mom was a pheno that didn’t have a copy in her DNA.
Quite true, so might there be a gene that allows a chemical sex transformation that has been bred out of the Candida?
One more thing to add to the discussion:
Usually, breeders are searching for the lack of a dominant gene. We want the recessive combinations, meaning we want chemovars that don't ruin things with the common dominant gene. In that case, it would be counterproductive to breed outside the narrow genetics, so you'd self it, hoping to keep the recessive.
Inbreeding vs outbreeding.
I was under the impression that when Van would find a blueberry-scented version of his Stankberry (ATF x Blueberry), that was what he was breeding toward rather than away from.
The main thing I was aiming at was just raising the question that maybe this particular chemovar, now feminised, is super stable and just can’t be turned. It happens sometimes.
Part of the question is whether the stability automatically breeds out the ability to be reversed or if it's an unlucky (for us) side effect of getting the plant just right.
The second thing coming out of that was, when you do succeed in reversing a plant that was already grown from feminised seed, the resulting outcome can be the reintroduction of some genetic variety in the line (and often undoing some stability).
But if I am using only the genetics that were in the original mother of a well-stabilized variety, where would that genetic instability come from? Celt mentioned only having the genes that the mother had.
Hope all is okay shed!
A bit under the weather but finally recovering. Thanks!
We don’t actually know if the CD-1 is feminised in the first way or S1 feminised.
Indeed we don't.
Candida is a well stable chemovar and they spent some years stabilising it. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a few generations into being stabilised - but really, unless the breeder shares this info, we have no idea where in the pathway of genetic work a seed is when it comes to us.
And they're not even sharing their seeds any more!
I think Buttercup is trying STS reversal on his Candida right now.
I'll keep y'all posted on his progress or lack thereof.
That's the only method I haven't seen tried. Wish him our very best in his endeavors!
really depends on the background of the plant you are selfing.
It sure seems to!

No pistils yet on the flipped one, so I hope the invisible pollen sticks around if there is any!

Here's a late Tuesday update mostly from this past weekend.

It was time to make another batch of CBD oil, so I decarbed 54g of Candida, that was 49g after decarb:

I put it into the Magical Butter machine and poured in 2 cups of extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), which doesn't begin to cover the buds:

Since the MB grinds while it works, eventually all the bud will be in the oil. I do suggest however, that after about 30 minutes you pull the top off and push everything down with a spoon. Then put the top back on and reset the temp/time and all should be good to go.

I ran it 8 hours Saturday, left it overnight, 8 hours Sunday, left it overnight, 8 hours Monday, left it overnight, and then finally today I felt like dealing with all the cleaning. I ran it for about an hour to warm up and took @Carcass' suggestion to add the liquid sunflower lecithin (LSL) and run the Clean cycle. 2Tbs LSL into 2 cups of oil.

Because the bud had been ground for so long, most of it got through the filter and I retrieved about 14 ounces (not counting the LSL foam):

Into the fridge it goes!

Also this weekend, I started the QWET process with the frozen bud and chilled 200 proof ethanol. I highly recommend doing this outside, as "well-ventilated" inside is really insufficient to keep from being overcome with the fumes!

Here is the setup:

I poured the ethanol over the buds, let them sit for 30 seconds and rolled the jar for 30 seconds:

...and then strained the contents into a measuring cup:

Then I poured it through a coffee filter back into the jar. It takes a while, and this is the residue from that first filtering:

The jar is back in the freezer for winterizing, and when I get the Buchner filter I'll move on to the next step of the process.

That's it for me tonight!

Penny said the seeds would be considered S1since the pollen and seeded plants were clones of the same mother.
They’re S1 if the plant you grew and reversed was a female plant grown from reg seed or a feminised cross (or clones of such).

If the plant/clone you reversed is already an S1 fem, then what you are making is S2.
But if I am using only the genetics that were in the original mother of a well-stabilized variety, where would that genetic instability come from?
Because 2nd generation cross can bring out traits in the line that were dormant in the stabilised parents.

AFAIK :Namaste:

Sorry yes! Will correct post.

see this is why I shouldn’t open cans of worms when I’m tired ;)

and Actually I meant female from feminised cross.

So, female plant from reg seed
- reverse it and pollinate it’s clone = S1
- reverse it and pollinate another plant grown from different seed (either same strain or different) = Feminised.

Both are feminised but only the first is S1.

I suppose the second option would produce an “F1 feminised”. (Where the “F” has nothing to do with feminisation ;) )

I added something you will have missed because you’re so quick. Cause I did mean grown from feminised seed in that sentence - just not S1 feminised.

So there’s actually three different possibilities we can encounter when we want to reverse a female plant: 1 female plant from reg seed; 2. Female plant from feminised cross; 3. Female plant from selfing.

I’m multi posting I know, but it’s part of getting my language clear about it!

...a long time breeder of seeds and crosses, and valued member here at the mag, @Icemud might be a good candidate to weigh in on this discussion, if he is so inclined...cheerz...
:high-five:
...h00k...
:hookah:

:thumb:

Quite true, so might there be a gene that allows a chemical sex transformation that has been bred out of the Candida?
Now there’s a thought that hadn’t occurred to me. During the breeding and stabilizing of Candida, they may have unlocked genes that make it resistant to sex reversal. I doubt it was intentional, but could very well be the reason we can’t find Candida in seed form anymore.

Highya ITS,

Interesting discussion about Candida reversal!! Amy knows her stuff (when she's not tired, lol). :love:

I also love the experimenting you're doing, and the details are well documented. Great journaling as always!! Happy Smokin'

I don’t think the apparent resistance-to-reversal that everyone’s discovering around here is necessarily connected to why MMG don’t seem to be producing any more seeds for commercial retail sale. They have access to the parent chemovars (AC/DC x Harlequin) that they used to create the original seed, most likely. Plus, they have made dozens of crosses that include the Candida. They’d be working with different stock and breeding fare (clones/pollen etc.) from earlier in the breeding steps than the folks here aiming to work the final feminised seed.

They posted something last November that made me think they were gonna be back in action. They also had a website under construction at that stage but that’s since disappeared again.

So apparently some business dealing kept the seed off retail shelves for a while. Then, it seems, they decided they didn’t like that arrangement so were bringing it ‘back to the people’!

It seems that never came to fruition as they haven’t posted again since later that month. And we never saw any seeds become available.

And the seed outlet they say was going to be exclusively carrying their seeds, now has this notice on the Candida page.

So - the end of commercially available Candida CD-1 as we know it. Perhaps it just so high quality (as we all know) that some conglomerate global entity of “licensed medical cannabis producers” has bought it up and the deal restricts the wider sale. I’m speculating! But it seems possible and actually very likely, from what they say.

I have one original seed left and some of a cross that was made with it called CBD Medikit that I’m yet to run.

Thankfully I have a newfound excellent CBD from Ace which is really fantastic. And I’ll be curious to try the Medikit one... and I’ll probably be chasing Candida CD-1 for the duration of my existence now. Lol!

Transitions can be difficult, but we get there, eventually.
:Namaste:

So, female plant from reg seed
- reverse it and pollinate it’s clone = S1
- reverse it and pollinate another plant grown from different seed (either same strain or different) = Feminised.
Both are feminised but only the first is S1.
I suppose the second option would produce an “F1 feminised”. (Where the “F” has nothing to do with feminisation
Thank you for that!
So there’s actually three different possibilities we can encounter when we want to reverse a female plant:
1. female plant from reg seed;
2. Female plant from feminised cross;
3. Female plant from selfing.
And 3 seems to be our sticking point here. Does this lead you to believe that the successful reversal of feminized plants is being accomplished on purchased seeds born as a result of 2?
the quotes didn't load and my head hurts.
Sorry about that! Now I'm curious...
Now there’s a thought that hadn’t occurred to me. During the breeding and stabilizing of Candida, they may have unlocked genes that make it resistant to sex reversal. I doubt it was intentional, but could very well be the reason we can’t find Candida in seed form anymore.
Or it could be what Amy mentioned below...
Interesting discussion about Candida reversal!! Amy knows her stuff (when she's not tired, lol). :love:
I also love the experimenting you're doing, and the details are well documented. Great journaling as always!! Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode! Amy knows her stuff tired or not. She communicates it best when not. :)
Necessity is the mother of invention. "Damnit!!! We want seeds!"Sup y'all?!?!?!
Howdy Age! Nice to see you're virtually out and about again. All well in the desert?
I don’t think the apparent resistance-to-reversal that everyone’s discovering around here is necessarily connected to why MMG don’t seem to be producing any more seeds for commercial retail sale. They have access to the parent chemovars (AC/DC x Cannatonic) that they used to create the original seed, most likely.
I can't imagine that they would want to start from scratch again to restabilize the variety. Seems more likely the company just went out of business.
So - the end of commercially available Candida CD-1 as we know it. Perhaps it just so high quality (as we all know) that some conglomerate entity has bought it up. I’m speculating! But it seems possible.
We'll probably never know, but they did start a CBD breeding revolution that now leads you to this...
Thankfully I have a newfound excellent CBD from Ace which is really fantastic. And I’ll be curious to try the Medikit one... and I’ll probably be chasing Candida CD-1 for the duration of my existence now. Lol!
Great news that the Ace CBD plant is an excellent replacement! I'll just keep my Candida clones around for as long as I can.
Transitions can be difficult, but we get there, eventually.
Eventually! :peace:

Amy knows her stuff tired or not. She communicates it best when not. :)
I should clarify that I don’t really “know my stuff” about breeding, goodness! I’m learning about it like everyone else and I’ve never deliberately made a seed in my life. I like to read a lot! Here and elsewhere and I remember things. I’ve devoured every long involved conversation between breeders on this website and slowly slowly slowly… Learning.
Does this lead you to believe that the successful reversal of feminized plants is being accomplished on purchased seeds born as a result of 2?
I’m not sure exactly what you mean but I think that people are reversing all kinds of female plants grown from all kinds of seeds feminised or not. They can all be reversed - in practice as we know some seem to be easier to turn than others.
I think successful reversal could happen on any of them, indeed it might even be more possible on an S1 because they are more prone to hermie.

It’s kind of two different things I’m talking about really. First one is maybe CD-1 just can’t turn maybe it’s too stable – as a natural thing, not necessarily on purpose or anything.

The second thing that came up through that was - what kind of female are we trying to reverse? - reg, feminised, s1 etc. Because that can effect what one might be able to expect as a result.

can't imagine that they would want to start from scratch
They wouldn’t be. A good breeder would’ve kept the stabilised line that the feminised seeds were made from.
Seems more likely the company just went out of business.
Actually, to me it seems much more likely that they’re so damn good that they’ve been snaffled up by the “canna-medical industrial complex” and ended up in a contract that restricts them from making their seed available to the “public” - I.e., doing what they really want to do with their seed. That’s the subtext I take from that Instagram post of theirs.

I want to clarify that I never meant that MMG have done anything deliberate to stop us being able to reproduce the seed. That’s never been my suggestion.

In all the long conversations I’ve read between people around here and elsewhere about making seeds and breeding and working lines etc it’s often mentioned that some plants are easier to turn than others (like the way that some plants are easier to clone than others). It’s definitely to do with genetic stability but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone talking about being able to do it on purpose, or knowing what gene is responsible.

Back
Top Bottom