InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

:welcome: dick! Glad you're back after taking a break, and don't dive too far in this thread or you might get lost in the weed(s). :cheesygrinsmiley: Top of the previous page is all you really need and you're up to date here.

Ask questions if you have any and join in the great banter!
Thank you, it's nice to be back and see familiar faces.. er, names lol
I will go check that out and catch up then :D

Highya ITS,

I have uppotted with roots like that, and they held together. I was especially gentle. Looks like yours may hold together better, though! Happy uppottin'

Yea looks time the first 3 not so much as the red dragon and candida , but why not while ur at it .. Happy Sat. hope things are good with you and the little sheds .
That's what I figured...as long as I had the pots and the ProMix out, do them all!

And with that in mind, here is a rare Saturday afternoon update :).

Let me start with the root pruning I did on the Candida mother and clones. They've been in the 1 gallon pots for a long time now so they were due. I've shown this before but I thought I would put a few pics up for folks that haven't seen it.

Here is the rootball:

I take a saw and cut off the bottom third:

Then I square the sides by taking off about an inch, leaving me with a cube:

Into fresh ProMix HP it goes. Here it is all done and thinned on top as well:

Okay, let's move on to the Spring Grow transplanting process. I use the inverse (or inverted) sand castle method, which puts very little strain on the plant.

Start by filling up the new pot around a pot the same size as the current pot:

Pack the soil down and slide the pot out. I rotate it counter-clockwise (because I'm right handed?) as it comes out to smooth the sides:

Gently slide the rootball out of the old pot. For plastic pots simply squeeze the sides and tap the bottom, then flip it over:

Drop it into the hole, press it down carefully, and fill the pot with more soil:

And here they all are:

They all got about 2g/gallon of MC except Tin Can Kush 2, which I top dressed with 3Tbs GeoFlora (I did not mix it with the ProMix on transplant) and watered in. It seemed to do well for the GA3 Candida so I thought I'd try it with a normal plant...we'll see!

That was my plant activity for the day. I hope your Saturday is going splendidly! :)

That was my plant activity for the day. I hope your Saturday is going splendidly! :)
Great stuff Shed and lovely pictorial on the root ball pruning and transplant, it's great seeing the actions in pictures. I did similar with a large fiddle leaf house plant when I re-potted it a few months ago into a new pot of that was wider but not as tall, I had massive trouble with cutting a third off as I forgot that 10 years ago when potted it I had added a bunch of scoria at the bottom so it really wreaked my arborist saw in cutting thru it.:lot-o-toke:
But other than that, I'm far ahead of you, it's already Sunday over here in NZ! :ganjamon:

That's what I figured...as long as I had the pots and the ProMix out, do them all!

Let me start with the root pruning I did on the Candida mother and clones. They've been in the 1 gallon pots for a long time now so they were due. I've shown this before but I thought I would put a few pics up for folks that haven't seen it.

Here is the rootball:

OKay, let's move on to the Spring Grow transplanting process. I use the inverse (or inverted) sand castle method, which puts very little strain on the plant.

Pack the soil down and slide the pot out. I rotate it counter-clockwise (because I'm right handed?) as it comes out to smooth the sides:

Gently slide the rootball out of the old pot. For plastic pots simply squeeze the sides and tap the bottom, then flip it over:

Drop it into the hole, press it down carefully, and fill the pot with more soil:

And here they all are:

They all got about 2g/gallon of MC except Tin Can Kush 2, which I top dressed with 3Tbs GeoFlora (I did not mix it with the ProMix on transplant) and watered in. It seemed to do well for the GA3 Candida so I thought I'd try it with a normal plant...we'll see!

Nice update, Shed.

Why do you prune the roots on your clones? Are you going to use them for mothers too?

Highya ITS,

Great tutorial!! Your pictures told a nice story! I was surprised how much rootball you took off of the mother plant! I guess that's a part of keeping them small enough. Nice job!! Happy Smokin'

the rootinist tootinist hootinist Friday update...
FTFY :passitleft: (for those of us that hoot... :D )
usually wait for more, but earlier might not be so bad
Was going to say there’d be no need to score, but you already didn’t :thumb:

No mycos? :eek:

Very nice mother maintenance. To me it looks like that plant is about 1’ - 1.5’ tall from the soil. Is that about right? And are you keeping the mums under 24/0 as well?

Here is the rootball:

Okay, let's move on to the Spring Grow transplanting process. I use the inverse (or inverted) sand castle method, which puts very little strain on the plant.

And here they all are:

That was a truly wonderful post. :love:

I bookmarked several things.

:thanks:Shed. You truly are a gem.

Great update shed! I also am curious about the purpose of root pruning. I am going to assume it's to help get new branches of roots moving through their new pots easier.

Also loved that you shared your transplant method, I've been doing the same for years since I figured it out. So much easier just to drop that root ball right in the same size hole.

Great stuff Shed and lovely pictorial on the root ball pruning and transplant,
Thanks Stunger!
I had added a bunch of scoria at the bottom so it really wreaked my arborist saw in cutting thru it.
Oof! I can't see sawing through volcanic rock. :eek:
Why do you prune the roots on your clones? Are you going to use them for mothers too?
Thanks GDB! I pruned those two as well because it may be a while before the new seed Candida is ready to get flipped for (hopefully) new seeds, so I wanted to keep them healthy.
I was surprised how much rootball you took off of the mother plant! I guess that's a part of keeping them small enough.
Not so much about keeping the plant small as it is to keep it putting out new healthy roots and not getting bound in the 1 gallon pot. I've done this before with mother plants and they have always sprung right back!
FTFY (for those of us that hoot.
If hootin' is your thing, go for it!
No mycos?
I did note and wonder about that too. Not that I use them but I would if I had them, maybe Shed's just out of them!
ProMix HP has mycorrhiza already mixed in, so I got out of the habit of using it on transplant. I also forgot that I just got a bag of @DYNOMYCO! Another reason I tend not to think of it is there is research showing that adding mycorrhiza to Canadian peat moss isn't all that useful:
"Although plant growth and root colonization with the addition of Canadian peat increased slightly, Canadian peat suppressed mycorrhizal effectiveness." Source

...and that it's use with synthetic nutes also makes it less effective:
"Our in-house research has shown very low levels of mycorrhizal colonies when a standard inorganic nutrient charge is used in the mix, which releases nutrients in a short time frame. However, we have found excellent colonization when mycorrhizae are added to mixes containing organic or controlled release fertilizers. Organic fertilizers "release" their nutrients slowly over time so the levels of phosphorus remain within a tolerable range for good mycorrhizal growth and colonization. Another option is to use an inorganic fertilizer charge with a low phosphorus content to allow the mycorrhizae to establish in the roots.

"When you use a mix supplemented with mycorrhizae, a fertility program resulting in low levels of inorganic phosphorus should be employed. This means that any water soluble or controlled release fertilizer formulations should be low in phosphorus and delivered at a concentration or rate that result in 10-ppm phosphorus or less."
Source

So I tend not to be concerned about it when I leave it out since I'm not sure it makes any difference.
To me it looks like that plant is about 1’ - 1.5’ tall from the soil. Is that about right?
Indeed, around 18" from the soil.
And are you keeping the mums under 24/0 as well?
Here is the long answer:
The Candidas were in the tent at night, so 20/4, and the Spring grow were under the CFL at night, so 24/0. Now that the Spring grow has been moved into 1 gallon pots and into the tent, they're now at 20/4 and Candidas are under the CFL at night so they will now be 24/0.

Is that clear?
That was a truly wonderful post. :love:
I bookmarked several things.
:thanks:Shed. You truly are a gem.
Thanks HG! Anything I can do to help :).
I also am curious about the purpose of root pruning. I am going to assume it's to help get new branches of roots moving through their new pots easier.
Not just easier, but completely new root growth in fresh substrate. New roots are healthier and the plant isn't rootbound.
So much easier just to drop that root ball right in the same size hole.
I know right? And much less stress than trying to hold the plant steady and fill in the soil around it.

:laughtwo: :hmmmm: you didn’t mention the mums specifically... but I surmise from what you wrote that they have been under both 20/4 and 24/0 schedules at different times...
Darn tootin’!
research showing
:thumb: Good to know. I’ve often wondered about the differences it would or wouldn’t make with exclusively “synthetic” nutrition. It’s still the case that those plants have/build a rhizosphere though isn’t it? So there’s some kind of root colony going on.

20210306_122317 transplanting.jpg

20210306_122317 transplanting.jpg

Inverse sand castle
20210306_122344 transplanting.jpg

20210306_122344 transplanting.jpg

Inverse sand castle
20210306_122402 transplanting.jpg

20210306_122402 transplanting.jpg

Transplanting
Great idea! I'll be doing this for all my plants that gets up-potted from here on. It's mostly chilis and herbs, but I have started two Jack Hair autos in smaller pots for up-potting (always planted in final container previously), so this tip comes at the best possible time :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom