InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Happy Halloween! šŸŽƒ

Congrats again on the harvest!
Thanks stardawg!
I don't trust those cheap digital hygrometers anymore. After all the issues with my last grow I've been doing a lot of testing of them. I've found Govee makes fairly accurate ones, but all of my little ones like in your pic are basically toys. So if you have a brand that works well at a reasonable price I'd be very interested. I use my Govee for calibrating my DHT11 and DHT22 sensors for my arduinos. After calibration they seem to be doing fine.
You are a bit more technical about your grow than I am though. ;)

l salt-test my hygrometers when I get them and mark them so I know how far off each one is, and that's close enough for what I use them for. And when you have three or four all within a few points of each other I'm pretty sure I'm in the ballpark with any one of them.
Nobody likes the Duban Poison? That's one of the Mrs. favorite strains Too bad you can't send those buds my way
Nobody seems to feel like it hits anywhere near as hard as everything else in the jars, so the DP gets bypassed.
Shed has a great way to test them with wet salt but I canā€™t remember it now.
Here you go:

If you have a tupperware or ziploc bag you can do the salt test to see if your hygrometers are accurate.

You take a bottle cap from something like a jam jar, fill it to just below the rim with salt, then put in enough distilled water to turn it to slush without it spilling. That and the meter(s) go in a ziploc bag on the kitchen counter out of the sun. Leave it there overnight (I don't like to rush these things), and in the morning it should read 75% RH.

Congrats on another great summer grow, Shed!
Thank you Carcass!
I finally got done refurbishing my mom's house, so I should be able to pay closer attention around here now...man, I'm glad that's over and done with-those 10 hour days got real old, real fast...
Phewf, you gotta be glad that's over with! You redoing your mom's house and VG redoing her new one and I feel like I'm watching HGTV. šŸ“ŗ
I saw awhile back that you're headed to NY pretty soon- safe travels, Shed, I hope things go well for you in the big apple!
When are you going?
That's the million dollar question, and I still have no idea. :hmmmm:
Whoa! Thats some funky looking mold. Is that common in old jars? I've got a jar left from 2020 that I'm not sure if it is any good. Don't see any mold but it turned brownish and does not smell great.
It's not common in mine, and I must have 50 or 60 (some going as far back as 2018). That jar is the only one without a Boveda, so it must have gotten too damp in there.

If you have a jar that smells bad, you might want to toss it:

One of my jars from a harvests from over a year ago got a little mold too. With as many jars as we have...losing one to mold isn't a big deal
It probably would have been a bigger deal if it was a whole jar, and a variety someone liked! :cheesygrinsmiley:
It's only a matter of time Tim!
We'll wait!
I went to govee for some of the process. In the tent they're handy. Being able to see vpd without the chart is a real luxury!
It is if hitting the correct VPD is something you can do anything about. A lot of folks don't have that kind of control over the environment in their tents. It gets expensive controlling temperature and RH to a specific mark.
Sweet yield on the last flowering survivor Shed!
Thanks Otter! It's a good way to close out the harvest year.

It is if hitting the correct VPD is something you can do anything about. A lot of folks don't have that kind of control over the environment in their tents. It gets expensive controlling temperature and RH to a specific mark.
I find I have little control, but when I can, it really makes a difference! You're right about controlling it. Maybe a couple or three weeks of my grow is in the zone? Worth it!

This is why I've focused on calibrating my hygrometer and thermometer. My control system does a pretty good job of maintaining VPD, but if the readings are wrong, well, you'd be better off not controlling so tightly. šŸ˜‰

Happy Halloween! šŸŽƒ
Happy Halloween to you as well and congrats on the fantastic harvests:)

l salt-test my hygrometers when I get them and mark them so I know how far off each one is, and that's close enough for what I use them for. And when you have three or four all within a few points of each other I'm pretty sure I'm in the ballpark with any one of them.
I salt-tested my Govees as well. They were both within 1% but now they're calibrated. I bought a 12-pack of the cheap hygrometers and some of those were over 15% off, very few were within 3%. I marked them like you do, but who knows if they're off consistently. I agree with Stardawg, they're toys. I also agree that as long as you're not relying on the readings from a single hygrometer (verify!) and you know how far they're off then you're probably good enough. I ended up using a Govee in my Grove bags ;)
I agree that not everyone can control their environments, but a lot of people try, or at least worry about it. If the hygrometer is 15% off they have no idea if they are doing the right thing or not. Salt-test your hygrometers!

For folks who aren't sure what VPD is, @Archiweedies did a great thread on it here:

Wonderful harvest shed!
Thank you Skottel! :)
Happy Halloween to you as well and congrats on the fantastic harvests
Thanks LKA! I hope you get to hand out lots of candy, and I hope we don't run out. :eek:
I find I have little control, but when I can, it really makes a difference! You're right about controlling it. Maybe a couple or three weeks of my grow is in the zone? Worth it!
No question that folks working within the VPD are doing great work!
This is why I've focused on calibrating my hygrometer and thermometer. My control system does a pretty good job of maintaining VPD, but if the readings are wrong, well, you'd be better off not controlling so tightly.
Absolutely. If you're going to spend the money on heating, cooling, dehumidifier, and humidifier, not having an accurate picture of what's going on makes the rest a fool's errand!
I salt-tested my Govees as well. They were both within 1% but now they're calibrated. I bought a 12-pack of the cheap hygrometers and some of those were over 15% off, very few were within 3%. I marked them like you do, but who knows if they're off consistently.
As long as I have two that agree, I'm good with that for drying and curing.
I agree with Stardawg, they're toys. I also agree that as long as you're not relying on the readings from a single hygrometer (verify!) and you know how far they're off then you're probably good enough.
I wouldn't say they're toys but I certainly wouldn't recommend using them after dropping hundreds of dollars on environmental control to hit the VPD numbers.
I agree that not everyone can control their environments, but a lot of people try, or at least worry about it. If the hygrometer is 15% off they have no idea if they are doing the right thing or not. Salt-test your hygrometers!
All mine tested within 3% of 75% when I tested them, so they're marked with those numbers. And they seem to be close to those markings at standard room temps and RH. Once the RH drops into the low teens or the temps get below 50Āŗ, the variations drift. But like I said, they work for drying and curing!
Another Impressive harvest Shed , If i ever get to grow again I think I will go back to photos , the autos are nice but the difference in harvest weight is over whelming !
Thank you sb! I would definitely go to photos so you have control over their size before you send them to flower.

Happy Halloween! šŸŽƒ

Thanks stardawg!

Nobody seems to feel like it hits anywhere near as hard as everything else in the jars, so the DP gets bypassed.

Here you go:

If you have a tupperware or ziploc bag you can do the salt test to see if your hygrometers are accurate.

You take a bottle cap from something like a jam jar, fill it to just below the rim with salt, then put in enough distilled water to turn it to slush without it spilling. That and the meter(s) go in a ziploc bag on the kitchen counter out of the sun. Leave it there overnight (I don't like to rush these things), and in the morning it should read 75% RH.

Thank you Carcass!

Phewf, you gotta be glad that's over with! You redoing your mom's house and VG redoing her new one and I feel like I'm watching HGTV. šŸ“ŗ

That's the million dollar question, and I still have no idea. :hmmmm:

It's not common in mine, and I must have 50 or 60 (some going as far back as 2018). That jar is the only one without a Boveda, so it must have gotten too damp in there.

If you have a jar that smells bad, you might want to toss it:

It probably would have been a bigger deal if it was a whole jar, and a variety someone liked! :cheesygrinsmiley:

We'll wait!

Thanks Otter! It's a good way to close out the harvest year.
Happy Halloween bro, fekerz @ MG wonā€™t make it right so I asked about 30 days return policy to please explain it and tell me how it doesnā€™t apply to this. No response! CLšŸ€

Hi Shed Got the test back. Not feeling well today. Got the covid. I'll get the othe rplant to you later. It's very much the same. :green_heart:

Candida #2Client 22-0242​

13.41%​

Total Cannabinoids

-​

Total Terpenes
Tested 10/28/2022 for Potency by MCR Labs Massachusetts

POTENCY PROFILES​

Cannabinoid Profile​

13.41%
Total Cannabinoids 0.38%
Max THC 10.09%
Max CBD

Cannabinoids are quantified using high-performance liquid chromatography.
Total Cannabinoids is the sum of all detected cannabinoids.
Max THC THCa is converted to THC by heat. Max THC is the maximum amount of THC that can be derived from this product. Use the following formula to find the Max THC: Max THC = THC + (THCa * 0.877)
Max CBD CBDa is converted to CBD by heat. Max CBD is the maximum amount of CBD that can be derived from this product. Use the following formula to find the Max CBD: Max CBD = CBD + (CBDa * 0.877)
Other* This represents materials other than cannabinoids in the product.

Hi Shed Got the test back. Not feeling well today. Got the covid. I'll get the othe rplant to you later. It's very much the same.​

13.41%​

Total Cannabinoids

-​

Total Terpenes

POTENCY PROFILES​

Cannabinoid Profile​

13.41%
Total Cannabinoids 0.38%
Max THC 10.09%
Max CBD
Damn Otter I'm so sorry to hear about the Covid. :( I hope you have a very mild case and are feeling better very soon. And course I hope Mrs Otter stays completely Covid free.

I'm not sure I understand the Candida test results. There's no number listed after CBD and THC seems to come back at 10.09%. Also the Total Terpenes is blank.

When you're feeling up to it can you post a screenshot of the actual results page (with personal info removed obviously)?

:thanks:

Get well!

Hi Shed Got the test back. Not feeling well today. Got the covid. I'll get the othe rplant to you later. It's very much the same. :green_heart:

13.41%​

Total Cannabinoids

-​

Total Terpenes

POTENCY PROFILES​

Cannabinoid Profile​

13.41%
Total Cannabinoids 0.38%
Max THC 10.09%
Max CBD

Max THC THCa is converted to THC by heat. Max THC is the maximum amount of THC that can be derived from this product. Use the following formula to find the Max THC: Max THC = THC + (THCa * 0.877)
Max CBD CBDa is converted to CBD by heat. Max CBD is the maximum amount of CBD that can be derived from this product. Use the following formula to find the Max CBD: Max CBD = CBD + (CBDa * 0.877)
Sorry Stone. :Namaste:
Hope your feeling better soon my friend. :high-five:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

A belated congratulations on your TW and PU harvests, and :welldone: on your yields!

A current congratulations on another Member of the Month title! :welldone:again.

13.41%​

Total Cannabinoids

-​

Total Terpenes

POTENCY PROFILES​

Cannabinoid Profile​

13.41%
Total Cannabinoids 0.38%
Max THC 10.09%
Max CBD

Hey SO. Sorry to hear about the Covid. Go to a veterinarian and buy a small jug of ivomec. And a syringe and needle to draw up the medicine. Take a cc for every 100 pounds of body weight once a day. Mix it in a shot glass with some juice and drink it. Thank me later.

NTH

13.41%​

Total Cannabinoids

-​

Total Terpenes

POTENCY PROFILES​

Cannabinoid Profile​

13.41%
Total Cannabinoids 0.38%
Max THC 10.09%
Max CBD

Hope you feel better Mr Otter
Also not really getting those results. It's supposed to be high CBD or?
Cheers and have a rocking evening everyone

A belated congratulations on your TW and PU harvests, and :welldone: on your yields!
Thank you BL! I'm please with how the harvest year closed out for sure.
A current congratulations on another Member of the Month title! :welldone:again.
Been a long time but it's nice to be appreciated. :)
Hey SO. Sorry to hear about the Covid. Go to a veterinarian and buy a small jug of ivomec. And a syringe and needle to draw up the medicine. Take a cc for every 100 pounds of body weight once a day. Mix it in a shot glass with some juice and drink it. Thank me later.
Please, no off-label Covid medical advice here NTH!
It's supposed to be high CBD or?
It is supposed to be high CBD with less than 1% THC. That's the results that I got from mine, but mine were original seeds from the breeder. The ones that Otter grew were slightly immature S1s from clones from one of those originals.

Not feeling well today. Got the covid.
Oh no Otter. Feel better soon :(

Been a long time but it's nice to be appreciated. :)
You are so supportive and I admire the integrity with which you appear to approach life. That shines through in the way that you work and speak. Congrats on your member of the month award Shed.

Mold! Down the garbage disposal it went. I must have stolen the Boveda from that jar at some point to use for a new harvest and forgot to replace it. Lesson learned. :nerd-with-glasses:
One observation I had regarding Boveda packets: When they dry out, I typically put them into a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel for a few days. Rehydrates them nicely.

However, I once placed a freshly hydrated packet into my joint jar (I usually keep 2 or 3 joints in a jar for when my son comes to visit so they are ready to go). Unfortunately when he went into the jar, all 3 joints were moldy and had to be tossed. I tossed the Boveda packet as well and thoroughly washed out the jar. I'm a little hesitant to rehydrate and re-use the packets now, although I've done it many times and this was the only issue I've ever had.

One observation I had regarding Boveda packets: When they dry out, I typically put them into a ziploc bag with a damp paper towel for a few days. Rehydrates them nicely.

However, I once placed a freshly hydrated packet into my joint jar (I usually keep 2 or 3 joints in a jar for when my son comes to visit so they are ready to go). Unfortunately when he went into the jar, all 3 joints were moldy and had to be tossed. I tossed the Boveda packet as well and thoroughly washed out the jar. I'm a little hesitant to rehydrate and re-use the packets now, although I've done it many times and this was the only issue I've ever had.
Well that's interesting! I wonder if it got too damp in rehydrating process and no longer had the capacity to absorb moisture, leaving the RH in the jar too high. :hmmmm:

I've never had one get too dry since the RH around me is usually well above 62%.

Back
Top Bottom