InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Weather is showing Texas two more weeks of 107 . Really doesn’t feel bad rh has been staying at27% . I’m sitting under my pavilion on the river ,well with ceiling fan overhead . I need the fresh air plus there generating hydro electric, must be running both generators cause the river is way up and that makes it feel cooler.
That's pretty hot in my book West! Stay chill man!

Saturday and it's too hot (for me but maybe not for you, or maybe it's even hotter where you are but not too hot for you, or maybe it's cooler but still too hot for you) to do much outside mid-day, so here are some pics of the 5 Killer Cookies.

After wrapping the res in insulation and top feeding (which doesn't seem to be taken up by any roots) this is the plant today vs. Wednesday:

So I removed most of the yellow:

Here is the reference pic after the dead and dying fans were stripped:

I watered it with a new blend that's 172-35-188 with Ca: 104, Mg: 73, and S: 37. I made this with just three ingredients: vinegar, peppers, and salt MC, magnesium nitrate, and Blue Planet Calmag (8-0-0). For reference, PB recommends 131ppm of N, and my last batch was 161ppm N with PB + added nitrogen.

My goal is to see how much nitrogen it will take to get the leaves to change color. We'll see!

As long you're asking, here is Grandpa's Moonshine doing alright on flip day 5, and about a month after replant from SIP to cloth bag:

I hope your weekend is going well and you're staying cool (or warm for those whose toilet water flows the other way). ☀️

Quotes:

Not sure if that bubble wrap will make a difference (I can't really measure res temp) but it was probably worth the 5 minutes it took.

I wonder how happy the roots would be with ice water in there! 🧊

Thanks RD!

Very nice of you to feel responsible for the smoke down here!

:love:
Grandpa has made a nice recovery!
Surprised to see that much yellowing on 5KC - did you piss her off?

Nice save on the GM, Shed!- It's odd that she did that when she did- seems like whatever it was should of
started at the beginning of the grow, not halfway through...but, it did what it did...and you figured out how to fix it, so we all learned something!
My goal is to see how much nitrogen it will take to get the leaves to change color. We'll see!
It may take quite a bit- she's a big girl!

Saturday post orphaned here! :slide:

I had a quick look around and DWC seemed like a place to start. Tepid, room temp 24-25c but there wasn’t loads of stuff first pass on “why” dowsnm☪️💕hurt uptake or whatever. I had a look at small fish tank water chillers but seemed a bit much. Especially as I haven't got definitive on how/why its bad to be higher (yet)
The higher the water temp the lower the oxygen content (see chart below), and of course there are the temps the roots expect per tens of thousands of years of evolution!
do_temp_0-png.2674138

Room temp 25c /77f great temp. Water temp about 23c/73f , I run 23c because I believe my girls grow faster . I’ll PM you for the rest of what I do .
:thanks: WH, and if you're going to put your secrets in one place put them here!
NIce to see your Grandpa's Moonshine made a full recovery!
Been watching your temps Shed and @West Hippie and everyone South! Cooler times are a coming!
Thanks Otter! The upside of being hot is I get to catch up on the site. :)
Weather is showing Texas two more weeks of 107 . Really doesn’t feel bad rh has been staying at27% . I’m sitting under my pavilion on the river ,well with ceiling fan overhead . I need the fresh air plus there generating hydro electric, must be running both generators cause the river is way up and that makes it feel cooler.
Oof! I'm glad the RH is low and you've got a good spot down by the river side. 🐟
Grandpa has made a nice recovery!
Surprised to see that much yellowing on 5KC - did you piss her off?
Thanks Grateful, and if I knew why the 5KC was yellowing I would shout it from the rooftops!
Nice save on the GM, Shed!- It's odd that she did that when she did- seems like whatever it was should of
started at the beginning of the grow, not halfway through...but, it did what it did...and you figured out how to fix it, so we all learned something!
Once the trouble started with GM I figured that moving it had to be the answer. And having done practically bare-root replants before (and root pruning) I was hopeful that this one would come around eventually. Glad I was right!
It may take quite a bit- she's a big girl!
LOL I hear ya! 3 more days at 172ppm of nitrogen and if I don't see a change, next stop is 185. :eek:

Saturday update! :sorry: for the missed time here and everywhere else on the site. This is has been my longest time away since I joined just over six years ago, and man does it feel weird to be gone that long. Been working 12 hours days and even last Saturday, and then my only day off on Sunday I slept most of it. 💤 And then it was back to the grind last Monday.

missed notifications.JPG
oof!
But that's all done and past and I should be back here on the regular going forward. :thanks: for thinking about me and for the good wishes on this journal having hit the 1 million view milestone! To be fair, this journal has been rolling since October of 2017 and it wouldn't have happened without all of you.
:Namaste:

Anyway, here are some plant pics to get this place back on track, starting with the completely recovered Grandpa's Moonshine (pic from Thursday on day 87):

It drinks a gallon a day now and I'll be flipping it in a few days. I have to get it shaped like a rectangle first to fit in the tent.

Of course, the main attraction is the 5 Killer Cookies, today on flip day 29:

I am really stuck on the yellow leaves in flower thing. Same whether I'm in ProMix, soil, or this wet-perlite-under-dry-soil bucket, or whether I'm using MC, my own mix, or Prescription Blend. :hmmmm:

Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the tops:

From Thursday:

You might be able to make out the pink pistils in this one:

In other garden news, I upcanned the lime tree that I rooted from a cutting back in May 2021. It took a year to put out that new growth, but now it was time to get it out of the 5 gallon pot and into something bigger:

Citrus roots are almost always at the bottom, which is why it's important to really water them well:

New home:

Eventually it will go into a 30 or 40 gallon pot as its forever home.

Finally, the garlic clove that sprouted in the fridge last year and got planted in the middle of a bunch of succulents in a little pot has been harvested:

Smells good! Thanks @dynamo1 for always bringing the great garlic harvests and inspiring me. :green_heart:

That's it for me today. There's no way I can catch up on all 1160 posts I missed (and still watch the Women's World Cup ;) ), but I promise to do the best I can. Hope your weekend is going splendiferously!
Nice plants mate 💛 good job
Happy growing 👍

Post orphaned here! :slide:

The higher the water temp the lower the oxygen content (see chart below), and of course there are the temps the roots expect per tens of thousands of years of evolution!
do_temp_0-png.2674138

:thanks: WH, and if you're going to put your secrets in one place put them here!

Oof! I'm glad the RH is low and you've got a good spot down by the river side. 🐟

Thanks Grateful, and if I knew why the 5KC was yellowing I would shout it from the rooftops!

Once the trouble started with GM I figured that moving it had to be the answer. And having done practically bare-root replants before (and root pruning) I was hopeful that this one would come around eventually. Glad I was right!

LOL I hear ya! 3 more days at 172ppm of nitrogen and if I don't see a change, next stop is 185. :eek:
You know my secret of Z-7 & Hydroguard for the 23c 73f plus I forgot to tell Nick I add oxygen also and I’m sure he does to . After adding the two secrets get a cup and run it through the media a few times because if it’s in the basket your not going to get rid of the problem.

Saturday and it's too hot (for me but maybe not for you, or maybe it's even hotter where you are but not too hot for you, or maybe it's cooler but still too hot for you) to do much outside mid-day, so here are some pics of the 5 Killer Cookies.

After wrapping the res in insulation and top feeding (which doesn't seem to be taken up by any roots) this is the plant today vs. Wednesday:

So I removed most of the yellow:

Here is the reference pic after the dead and dying fans were stripped:

I watered it with a new blend that's 172-35-188 with Ca: 104, Mg: 73, and S: 37. I made this with just three ingredients: vinegar, peppers, and salt MC, magnesium nitrate, and Blue Planet Calmag (8-0-0). For reference, PB recommends 131ppm of N, and my last batch was 161ppm N with PB + added nitrogen.

As long you're asking, here is Grandpa's Moonshine doing alright on flip day 5, and about a month after replant from SIP to cloth bag:

I hope your weekend is going well and you're staying cool (or warm for those whose toilet water flows the other way). ☀️

Quotes:

Not sure if that bubble wrap will make a difference (I can't really measure res temp) but it was probably worth the 5 minutes it took.

I wonder how happy the roots would be with ice water in there! 🧊

Thanks RD!

Very nice of you to feel responsible for the smoke down here!

:love:
Beautiful good to see the insulation on the SIP .
And 1160 message notifications 😳 i freak on 60 🤣🤣🤣
Looking forward to seeing them finished.
Good job and happy growing 👍😊

Even my second favourite Canadian named Ryan singing in a movie can’t save it.

Thanks @West Hippie lots to digest.

We have two nute tanks 100L and 200L in the darkest corner of the carport/garage in opaque white tanks. They sit at about 29c but it comes out the ground at 31c

But out in direct sunlight with less ventilation I’m sure you could get to way higher. 50c?

So mitigation by an aquarium bubbler is possible. And/Or a chiller.

I have a cheapo 3-1 Temp/Ph/EC long cabled wall mount tester coming tomorrow. Although I’ll just be able to take samples off the valve as well.

I’ve just filled the res in my old failed SIP, still has medium in - its been on that balcony for a month or so. Its bone dry. But tomorrow it should give me a sense of what temps it will hit in there.

So Shed lower yellowing from lack of oxygen in the feed? Possible?

Nick

Highya ITS,

First, your 5KC looks awesome! Her colas are nice and fat! You have nailed the Swick. GM is looking so much better than her SIP grow. She'll turn out very fine! Great job with them both!
Second, the water temp/dissolved O2 chart doesn't make sense to me. It says the lower the temp, the higher the oxygen level. Warmer water has less oxygen. Is that the way you see it. Does that make sense to you?
Third, what was that last lady pic in your last post? Wow, so much biomass! Was that from WestHippie's grow? Happy Smokin'

Saturday post orphaned here! :slide:

do_temp_0-png.2674138

Hope you get the yellowing fixed asap and @Bill284 told me about using a wet towel wrapped around your pot or bag to cool the plant. I used a close’s pin to hold it up. CL🍀 :thumb: :popcorn:

So Shed lower yellowing from lack of oxygen in the feed? Possible?
Definitely possible for this one, though with it happening the same time in flower regardless of media that would mean that the reason is different each time (or at least this time anyway!).

@ReservoirDog recommended a cardboard box around @GratefulBud's plant over in the SIP thread for his possible hot-root issue, so I'll see if I have something at work that might be the right size.
First, your 5KC looks awesome! Her colas are nice and fat! You have nailed the Swick. GM is looking so much better than her SIP grow. She'll turn out very fine! Great job with them both!
Thanks Bode! I just hope there's enough green on the 5KC to get it to harvest. Chef said he figured 63-70 days so I'm about halfway there.
Second, the water temp/dissolved O2 chart doesn't make sense to me. It says the lower the temp, the higher the oxygen level. Warmer water has less oxygen. Is that the way you see it. Does that make sense to you?
That's what the chart shows, that cold water holds more oxygen than warm. No idea why though (above my pay grade!) but I'll see if I can keep the sun off the pot. Nothing I can do about getting it below air temps though, which have been in the 80s lately.
Third, what was that last lady pic in your last post? Wow, so much biomass! Was that from WestHippie's grow?
It was, he is a beast master!
I love that you match show tunes to your grow show
I grew up in a family with a heavy interest in theater, so my brain does a lot of word association. :)
Hope you get the yellowing fixed asap and @Bill284 told me about using a wet towel wrapped around your pot or bag to cool the plant. I used a close’s pin to hold it up. CL🍀
:thanks: Captain! Not sure how long a wet towel would stay wet but I can try it this afternoon.

Definitely possible for this one, though with it happening the same time in flower regardless of media that would mean that the reason is different each time (or at least this time anyway!).

@ReservoirDog recommended a cardboard box around@GratefulBud's plant over in the SIP thread for his possible hot-root issue, so I'll see if I have something at work that might be the right size.

Thanks Bode! I just hope there's enough green on the 5KC to get it to harvest. Chef said he figured 63-70 days so I'm about halfway there.

That's what the chart shows, that cold water holds more oxygen than warm. No idea why though (above my pay grade!) but I'll see if I can keep the sun off the pot. Nothing I can do about getting it below air temps though, which have been in the 80s lately.

It was, he is a beast master!

I grew up in a family with a heavy interest in theater, so my brain does a lot of word association. :)

:thanks: Captain! Not sure how long a wet towel would stay wet but I can try it this afternoon.
I just kept it wet with the hose. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom