InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Mini Wednesday update (it's the update that's mini as Wednesday never changes in size...okay fine: Wednesday mini-update, the one where I top-water the yellowing 5 Killer Cookies on flip day 33. These pics are the "before," and I'll try to get the same angles at the same time of day this weekend for comparison's sake.

Front view:

Rear:

I gave it a gallon over the course of about 2 minutes, waiting for the water to soak in each time before giving it more. Then I waited about 5 minutes and started with the second gallon. It took about 2/3 of that before I got runoff from the overflow hole:

We'll see.

Thanks for hanging around!

Quote:

West Hippie is a great person and a crazy-good hydro grower who is terrific at helping other folks on the site. Even if you never had any interest in DWC growing (deep water culture), you should follow his next journey just to admire the plants as he works his magic!
God a mighty!!! How do you keep that behemoth standing upright? Wow, just Wow.

Saturday post orphaned here! :slide:

The higher the water temp the lower the oxygen content (see chart below), and of course there are the temps the roots expect per tens of thousands of years of evolution!
do_temp_0-png.2674138

:thanks: WH, and if you're going to put your secrets in one place put them here!

Thanks Otter! The upside of being hot is I get to catch up on the site. :)

Oof! I'm glad the RH is low and you've got a good spot down by the river side. 🐟

Thanks Grateful, and if I knew why the 5KC was yellowing I would shout it from the rooftops!

Once the trouble started with GM I figured that moving it had to be the answer. And having done practically bare-root replants before (and root pruning) I was hopeful that this one would come around eventually. Glad I was right!

LOL I hear ya! 3 more days at 172ppm of nitrogen and if I don't see a change, next stop is 185. :eek:
Hi @InTheShed - I have a similar issue with my Apple Fritter. Would you happen to have any thoughts on what I can add with an N boost that would work quickly and well? Today I added an extra 15 ml/5 gal of Remo Micro ti the mix, but it’s still only 3-0-0. I need something more and not sure I really have anything. Maybe something in the PB leftovers? I have everything left except Big Data. ?? Thanks!!!

Hi @InTheShed - I have a similar issue with my Apple Fritter. Would you happen to have any thoughts on what I can add with an N boost that would work quickly and well? Today I added an extra 15 ml/5 gal of Remo Micro ti the mix, but it’s still only 3-0-0. I need something more and not sure I really have anything. Maybe something in the PB leftovers? I have everything left except Big Data. ?? Thanks!!!
Jon you most likely already know this but the core B has all the nitrogen in the prescription blend.

It's Monday, so when you're done checking out Carcass' garden, here's the update for the today!

After two days of higher nitrogen (things change fast in this basically hydro setup) and seeing the top leaves on the 5 Killer Cookies look worse last night, I'm pulling the plug on the boosted N numbers.

Here is what some of the top fans looked like this morning:

I don't like that so I this morning I went back to basic Prescription Blend veg week 4. Here's a pic of the whole plant today:

and one of the main colas:

and just for fun, here is what I hope Grandpa's Moonshine (front) will look like in 31 days:

:)

You may have noticed in the full pic of 5KC that there's a towel wrapped around the buckets. At the Captain's suggestion yesterday I thought I would see what kind of difference that would make temperature-wise. I won't bore you with a whole page of thermometer pics (feel free to check them out here), but here are words instead:

In the sun, the duct tape was 106.8ºF
In the sun, the insulation on the res was 93.2ºF
In the shade, the duct tape was 89.4ºF

Once I wrapped it double thick with a heavy bath towel sprayed down with the hose (thanks Captain! :ciao: ):

In the sun the wet towel was 82.7ºF
In the shade the wet towel was 75.7ºF

That's quite a difference, so I'll keep that up through harvest. But since the Captain had to get back to Chicago to tend to his plants, I put the bucket in a big saucer filled with water this morning to keep the towel wet all day.

And just for the record, the sunny cloth pot of Grandpa's Moonshine was 96.9ºF and the shady side was 74.4ºF. I'm going to try to find boxes at the office big enough to fit each plant to keep them shaded from the morning and afternoon sun. They provide their own shade at noon. :cool:

That's it for me today. I hope your weekend went well and the work week is treating you nicely so far. :peace:

Quotes:
Damn 3 pages behind / caught up now, Ugh the yellow looks better on the ground LOL I don't remember you having this yellowing problem 4-5 yrs. ago is that right ? Hope ur day is going well
That's an excellent question sb! If I have time this week I'll try to grab pics of all my plants around midway through flower and see if I can tell when this started. Thanks for mentioning it!
God a mighty!!! How do you keep that behemoth standing upright? Wow, just Wow.
LOL thanks Guy! So far so good, and probably because the bucket weighs about 25lbs dry.
As you can see above I've given up with the high nitrogen diet. In terms of what you can do, the PB Core B is where the nitrogen lies in that line (as Keith mentioned below) if you want to give it a shot. Do remember that it's not straight N; it's 4.8-0-5.6 with additional Ca as well. If you have any of the Blue Planet calmag, that's 8-0-0 with Ca and Mg but no K. It's tough to find a pure N source out there.
Jon you most likely already know this but the core B has all the nitrogen in the prescription blend.
:thanks: Keith!

It's Monday, so when you're done checking out Carcass' garden, here's the update for the today!
Thank You, Shed!🙏
It's tough to find a pure N source out there.
I've used Scotts Turf Builder (32-2-8) and it worked well.
1.75 g, watered in, fixed the problem in 5 days- it's timed release, so you only do it once.
You might need a smidgen more for a larger container- mine was in a 3 gallon cloth pot...
Sounds ridiculous, but it works..
Any lawn food with plenty of N would probably work as well, just not the Weed 'n Feed stuff... 😬

Hi

After two days of higher nitrogen (things change fast in this basically hydro setup) and seeing the top leaves on the 5 Killer Cookies look worse last night, I'm pulling the plug on the boosted N numbers.

I don't like that so I this morning I went back to basic Prescription Blend veg week 4. Here's a pic of the whole plant today:

and just for fun, here is what I hope Grandpa's Moonshine (front) will look like in 31 days:

You may have noticed in the full pic of 5KC that there's a towel wrapped around the buckets. At the Captain's suggestion yesterday I thought I would see what kind of difference that would make temperature-wise. I won't bore you with a whole page of thermometer pics (feel free to check them out here), but here are words instead:

Once I wrapped it double thick with a heavy bath towel sprayed down with the hose (thanks Captain! :ciao: ):

That's quite a difference, so I'll keep that up through harvest. But since the Captain had to get back to Chicago to tend to his plants, I put the bucket in a big saucer filled with water this morning to keep the towel wet all day.

And just for the record, the sunny cloth pot of Grandpa's Moonshine was 96.9ºF and the shady side was 74.4ºF. I'm going to try to find boxes at the office big enough to fit each plant to keep them shaded from the morning and afternoon sun. They provide their own shade at noon. :cool:

That's it for me today. I hope your weekend went well and the work week is treating you nicely so far. :peace:

Quotes:

That's an excellent question sb! If I have time this week I'll try to grab pics of all my plants around midway through flower and see if I can tell when this started. Thanks for mentioning it!

LOL thanks Guy! So far so good, and probably because the bucket weighs about 25lbs dry.

As you can see above I've given up with the high nitrogen diet. In terms of what you can do, the PB Core B is where the nitrogen lies in that line (as Keith mentioned below) if you want to give it a shot. Do remember that it's not straight N; it's 4.8-0-5.6 with additional Ca as well. If you have any of the Blue Planet calmag, that's 8-0-0 with Ca and Mg but no K. It's tough to find a pure N source out there.

Quotes:

HI Shed plants are looking awesome even with the yellowing which I'm sure you'll get it straightend out in no time & glad you got your temps down heard you guys are having a hell of a heat wave

It’s been a while, and I’m in Remo mode. Thanks @KeithLemon, makes my life easier.
Well, like Shed said, it’s hard to find a pure N source. I used the Core B for a Nitrogen save. I actually mixed a flower batch of Remo at 8ml/gallon and simply added 10ml of Core B on top of that. That’s a decent amount of unintended Calcium, but she’ll be okay with that. It ought to arrest the yellow. Nothing else in PB seemed to fit the bill. Is Core B all you used?

Thank You, Shed!
:high-five:
I've used Scotts Turf Builder (32-2-8) and it worked well.
1.75 g, watered in, fixed the problem in 5 days- it's timed release, so you only do it once.
You might need a smidgen more for a larger container- mine was in a 3 gallon cloth pot...
Sounds ridiculous, but it works..
Any lawn food with plenty of N would probably work as well, just not the Weed 'n Feed stuff...
If I had a lawn that might be a good thing to have on hand. Thanks Carcass!
Feed your LAWN!
Feed it!
HI Shed plants are looking awesome even with the yellowing which I'm sure you'll get it straightend out in no time & glad you got your temps down heard you guys are having a hell of a heat wave
Thanks con! I have no doubt that the plant will have very few fans left by harvest, but on the plus side that makes trimming easier. :)
Well, like Shed said, it’s hard to find a pure N source. I used the Core B for a Nitrogen save. I actually mixed a flower batch of Remo at 8ml/gallon and simply added 10ml of Core B on top of that. That’s a decent amount of unintended Calcium, but she’ll be okay with that. It ought to arrest the yellow. Nothing else in PB seemed to fit the bill. Is Core B all you used?
I think Keith answered over in his thread but yes, Core B and no more rained-on pots. ;)

Not sure if you're sticking with the Remo feed schedule but LKA and Otter's BIL ended up with pretty crispy plants that way.

Quotes:

Yes! Evaporation is constantly "air conditioning" that pot! Just like we sweat and ac ourselves! Love nature!

Quotes:

I’m on the deck smoking a cig n drinking coffee when I read about having to get back to Chicago n spit out my coffee laughing. I’m glad that the towel worked for you. But I also have a question, won’t the water in the bowl be heated by the sun? Therefore diminishing the benefits of cold water from the garden hose? CL🍀

Yes! Evaporation is constantly "air conditioning" that pot! Just like we sweat and ac ourselves! Love nature!
And the best thing is I don't have to worry about raising the RH in my neighborhood!
I’m on the deck smoking a cig n drinking coffee when I read about having to get back to Chicago n spit out my coffee laughing. I’m glad that the towel worked for you. But I also have a question, won’t the water in the bowl be heated by the sun? Therefore diminishing the benefits of cold water from the garden hose? CL🍀
Glad I could give a morning chuckle! And even warm water will cool down the towel as it evaporates. If I was just relying on the coolness of the water from the hose you really would need to spend your days in my backyard. :)

My goal is to see how much nitrogen it will take to get the leaves to change color. We'll see!
Dang, Shed, that's a head scratcher :hmmmm: It seems like it's something besides what you're feeding it to be causing all that yellowing. What happens when the plant goes inside for the night? How many hours is it outside vs inside?
here is Grandpa's Moonshine doing alright on flip day 5, and about a month after replant from SIP to cloth bag:
Wow, that's is an amazing turn-around for GM! :bravo:
Cheater! :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom