InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I'm not disagreeing with anyone but will throw this out there. I use rain water, which comes in at around 6.5, then add my nutes, my pH drops to 4.x. I would be concerned that constantly using 4.x pH'd water would eventually buffer my soil to the acidic side.
Are any of the ProMix HP users nuting up with rain water? If so I would be curious to see what their final mix pH's at.

I'm not disagreeing with anyone but will throw this out there. I use rain water, which comes in at around 6.5, then add my nutes, my pH drops to 4.x. I would be concerned that constantly using 4.x pH'd water would eventually buffer my soil to the acidic side.
Are any of the ProMix HP users nuting up with rain water? If so I would be curious to see what their final mix pH's at.
That’s a good point. Eventually, you would slowly lower the soils ph I believe. In the hi-Brix soil it’s not recommended to use the same soil more than three times. Some have tried and succeeded.
I suppose we have to decide for ourselves how many times you’d like to re-use your soil.

Alkalinity and pH are different things. It's the high mineral content that will cause soil pH to drift upward, not so much the pH of the nutrient solution.

The soil will buffer pH, but alkalinity alters the soil composition itself.

:Namaste:

So much good shit happens here while I'm sleeping!
I just didn’t know what would happen if I went to a 200 gallon from a 3 gallon?
Wait, you're asking me if it's okay to upcan from 3 gallons to 200 gallons? That's like asking if it's okay to start corn plants in small pots before planting them in a field! Sure. Are these raised beds, huge soil bags, or just 200 gallons of quality soil in the ground? If you're interested in growing enormous plants outside and pulling 7lbs off each, I suggest you read Sphnx's journal from the beginning. He's not around here any more so he won't answer questions, but it will give you an idea of how it's done.

From this:
20170522_143701.jpg

to this:

20170913_124435-1.jpg

Of course, he is in the Emerald Triangle so that helps some.

I got into a bit of a discussion about this yesterday in another thread. If you want to call it a discussion. Every time I get involved in a thread a certain female member is in, I get dissed. I didn't bother to respond and start a flame fest. She ain't worth my time.
I'm shocked...SHOCKED!

I have no idea what my nutes are but I'm guessing they come in over 7 every time.
Some people just have to have a say. It makes no sensei whatsoever.
:laugh:
Yup I stopped using ph down too. My solution goes in at around 6.8. I have very healthy plants in pro mix. That being said phing to 5.8 won’t hurt it’s just unessesary in pro mix. Before I read sheds thread I was wondering how my local buddies were growing such good plants with no ph pen. Well they were using pro mix hp. I have all the evidence I need.
:thumb:
The Faux-Mix HP® that I made up (Peat, Perlite, peletized Dolomite Lime) for this run seems to have the same result.
You should trademark that name and then lawyer up :).
I only make the distinction in case there is someone hearing the no ph thing for the first time. I like ProMix, but they should know it’s not the only soil like that. I’ve used FoxFarms, Mother Earth, and DBHBB which uses ProMix. Cheers!
When I talk about it, I say ProMix and well-made soils.
Lol mine turns up the tv so loud to overcome the noise that it becomes a war of volume :rofl:
Oof!
Ooh that Promix Hp looks like an excellent grow medium with excellent drainage like coco. I may have to try it in my fall indoor grow. Very nice Shed!
It's good stuff, and you don't need to water as often as coco. Though coco has it's advantages and you're doing rather nicely in it now. Why change what's working for you? The fans still have to run ;).
Shed, did I read that you recycle your soil, Brix Mix, medium?
What do you use for your medium?
Do you reuse it?
How often do you buy new medium of choice?
I was flushing and reusing the ProMix but lately have been buying new bags. I'm sure that blending in some lime like farside does with his FauxMix® and adding mykos would be good too. I still sometimes use old ProMix for top dressing when the roots start to show, the lowest layer of a 10g pot, or planting non-canna plants.
Alkalinity and pH are different things. It's the high mineral content that will cause soil pH to drift upward, not so much the pH of the nutrient solution.
The soil will buffer pH, but alkalinity alters the soil composition itself.
This ^. Thank you Graytail. Oh, and the type of nitrogen in the fertilizer...that will also change the pH of the medium.

Coco does not equal soil/ProMix. Coco can be reused because it's really only there to hold the roots in place and hold some moisture. It's an inert medium and that's why it's considered hydro (and requires pH'ing your nutes).

The buffering action of the peat and lime will degrade over time, and the mykos probably gets used up as well, so that's why I stopped reusing. I'm sure I could go with farside's method and blend in more of both, but I just went to Lowe's and bought more. At some point I'll get a bag of lime and give it a shot.

There's nothing mysterious about Pro-Mix. :)

It's just Canadian peat moss, pH-buffered with a mix of calcitic and dolomitic limestone.

In different versions, they add perlite (HP) and/or vermiculite (BX), and mycos, etc.

That's it.

Thursday update, and in case you missed the late-night Wednesday one where I transplanted the DTF, it's here.

Overcast, chilly, and a chance of rain???? Seriously, the plants have not gotten any sun in a week! So here are the obligatory pics from in the shed.

I raised the watts from 250 to 300 (okay, 302) because if they are going to spend this much time there they might as well get more light. That and the fact that the tall Bedroom Cookies is not under the light any more, it's about a foot before the frame starts.

Here is a shot of the Oval of Brightness®, and you can see the taller plants are closer to the camera. That's because I have the light frame canted higher on that side.

And here is what's hidden in that first shot. I think I have the labeling right but I may have missed one or two. I have trouble remembering all the plants I have growing o_O :

The leaves aren't as yellow as they look in the pics so don't fret about that. Everything seems to be copacetic now that I've bumped the grams of MegaCrop on everyone. I'm thinking there must be more moisture in the bag now skewing the weight.

Candida trichome pics tomorrow, so stick around for that!

I've bumped the grams of MegaCrop on everyone. I'm thinking there must be more moisture in the bag now skewing the weight.

With all the lousy rainy weather you've had, its possible its sucked a little out of the air. Would be interesting to weigh a specified amount of it, then let it sit out in humid air for a couple days and weigh it again. See how much it gains, if any. I'm not volunteering for that. I've already wasted 400g of Mega on my experiments trying to make a concentrated liquid out of the powder.

Let there be light, and there was light
Looking good Shed! We are just hitting 13-20c here and I'm Lovin it!
Thanks Lowded. I'm looking forward to July, unless it's as hot as last year! Damn Chinese hoax :eek: .
Not surprising! That’s one busy tent family you have... and that’s not even all of them
Looks good tho!!
Thanks Amy!
With all the lousy rainy weather you've had, its possible its sucked a little out of the air. Would be interesting to weigh a specified amount of it, then let it sit out in humid air for a couple days and weigh it again. See how much it gains, if any. I'm not volunteering for that. I've already wasted 400g of Mega on my experiments trying to make a concentrated liquid out of the powder.
I'll test what I have in the current bag against an unopened bag and see what the difference is. Then I will leave the scoop of the current batch out and see how it changes... all for science!

I'll test what I have in the current bag against an unopened bag and see what the difference is. Then I will leave the scoop of the current batch out and see how it changes... all for science!

Sweet! It worked. Hook line and sinker. I suckered in Shed. :rofl:

Sweet! It worked. Hook line and sinker. I suckered in Shed.
Or did you? At 11:10 am this morning, Shed said the following in your very own thread (italics mine):
I was just thinking that yesterday when I noticed that my vegging plants were looking underfed at 5g/gallon. 5g is probably no longer 5g at my RH even though the bag is only open for a minute or two each morning. I've gone to 5.5g now and the plants seem happier.

I separated my bag into three when I got it, so I may test this bag against one of the other ones using a level teaspoon.
:laugh:
That B Cookie is gonna be a beast!
Thanks Penny! First plant I've ever let get this tall o_O .

Back
Top Bottom