InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

I've got a room and three sheds, but if we shared a room I'd probably feel very differently about him. ;)

Now you got me thinking...You, me, and a Tent Chicken. Think of the possibilities! :rofl:

Shed I am liking the perlite method and I think I might try it on some Lavender I want to cut. I missed the beginning part where you set it all up. Is the cut sitting in perlite which is wicking water from below?

Shed I am liking the perlite method and I think I might try it on some Lavender I want to cut. I missed the beginning part where you set it all up. Is the cut sitting in perlite which is wicking water from below?
Exactly that! The bottom of the stem sits just above the water level. I found it easiest to make a hole in the side of the cup about an inch up from the bottom so I would know exactly where the water line was. Then I measured from that to the top of the perlite and sunk the stem that deep.
20210831_081841.jpg

I have to say these look better than the ones where I was trying to figure out the water level by sticking my finger in the perlite.

Every 3 or 4 days I just add some water and let it drain from the hole. No guessing how much to add.

I have the cup in another cup to keep water off the desk when I move it.

20210831_081814.jpg

Here's a pistilly picture update for Tuesday! Today is flip day 9 for the Summer grow, and both the Chiquita Banana and Sour G are showing pistils.

CB:

Sour G:

I don't use the day pistils show for tracking anything, but some folks want to know how long it took so I like to make a note of that. It also might come in handy when I reverse a Sour G clone for seeds.

Speaking of pistils, I sent Chris this pic this morning and asked if it was time to pollinate the Candida, on flip day 21:

He said absolutely, so I did using a paintbrush:

This is the pollen/flour mixture (which both him and @ChefDGreen said not to do next time), so I used a lot of it on each bud, and I did as many buds as I could reach. I'll leave it on there until I get home and then blow away the excess before putting it in the shed with the other two, because they now have pistils as well (see above)!

I hope your week is going well and you are staying safe out there. :peace:

Here's a pistilly picture update for Tuesday! Today is flip day for the Summer grow, and both the Chiquita Banana and Sour G are showing pistils.

CB:

Sour G:

I don't use the day pistils show for tracking anything, but some folks want to know how long it took so I like to make a note of that. It also might come in handy when I reverse a Sour G clone for seeds.

Speaking of pistils, I sent @Chris Scorpio this pic this morning and asked if it was time to pollinate the Candida, on flip day 21:

This is the pollen/flour mixture (which both Chris and @ChefDGreen said not to do next time), so I used a lot of it on each bud, and I did as many buds as I could reach. I'll leave it on there until I get home and then blow away the excess before putting it in the shed with the other two, because they now have pistils as well (see above)!

Looking great Shed, good luck with the pollination, hope she takes!

Shed, I may go back to pumice.. :)

NUTRIENTS CONTRIBUTED BY GROW MEDIA
Ponics Stone is more than an inert bedding media, rather, over time, through the activity of microbes, it is slowly mined on a molecular level, contributing valuable nutrients to a ponics system—nutrients like silicon dioxide, iron, ferric oxide, ferrous oxide, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium oxide, titanium dioxide.

Looking great Shed, good luck with the pollination, hope she takes!
Thanks Rex! Eventually we'll find out. :)
Shed, I may go back to pumice..

NUTRIENTS CONTRIBUTED BY GROW MEDIA
Ponics Stone is more than an inert bedding media, rather, over time, through the activity of microbes, it is slowly mined on a molecular level, contributing valuable nutrients to a ponics system—nutrients like silicon dioxide, iron, ferric oxide, ferrous oxide, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium oxide, titanium dioxide.
Well since you already have the mine... ;)

What was it that made you go from pumice to perlite anyway? Though I can't see going back just because of the list above, since the nutes you feed your plants will have all of those things in them and more.

Sure hope she takes brother. Would be a real disappointment if the flour inhibited the pollen uptake in some way. I don’t have any idea if it would or not, but shooting your self in the foot on such a crucial project is always so painful.. especially this far down the rabbit hole. Hopefully you see some crooked over pistils in the next few days

Sure hope she takes brother. Would be a real disappointment if the flour inhibited the pollen uptake in some way. I don’t have any idea if it would or not, but shooting your self in the foot on such a crucial project is always so painful.. especially this far down the rabbit hole. Hopefully you see some crooked over pistils in the next few days
Thanks Chef! I did a google search for should I store my pollen with flour and it's recommended far and wide, so if this doesn't work I don't think I can blame the flour. Something else I did must have gone wrong, from the collection process to storage.

Here's a pistilly picture update for Tuesday! Today is flip day 9 for the Summer grow, and both the Chiquita Banana and Sour G are showing pistils.

CB:

Sour G:

Speaking of pistils, I sent a friend this pic this morning and asked if it was time to pollinate the Candida, on flip day 21:

This is the pollen/flour mixture (which both him and @ChefDGreen said not to do next time), so I used a lot of it on each bud, and I did as many buds as I could reach. I'll leave it on there until I get home and then blow away the excess before putting it in the shed with the other two, because they now have pistils as well (see above)!

This really interesting going to take me ages to cath up properly lol

I was glad to read that that's flour- my first impression was "man, that pollen doesn't look right"

No reason it shouldn't work- you took a lot better care of that pollen than mother nature does...:goodluck:

This really interesting going to take me ages to cath up properly lol
Thanks Ljb and :welcome: to my perpetual journal! Very brave of folks to do what the title says and jump in any time, so I'm glad you took the plunge (yay I stuck with the metaphor!).

Please don't feel the need to catch up on anything here unless you have loads of spare time on your hands. Even then there are better ways to spend it. Over the rest of the week you'll see all the plants I currently have, and if you come up with any questions about my grow, growing style, or anything else...ask away. If I don't have the answer I can either point you to someone who does, or any of my subscribers here (who are full of amazing knowledge) can add to the conversation.

I was glad to read that that's flour- my first impression was "man, that pollen doesn't look right"
No reason it shouldn't work- you took a lot better care of that pollen than mother nature does...
LOL! I thought it would be a good thing to mention. :)

I worry that I've somehow introduced moisture into the mix no matter how diligent I was about heating the rice and the flour (to drive moisture out) before mixing it up.

I can always cut some new clones and start again if this doesn't work. I'll be reversing a Sour G soon so I'll have the spray out, but we'll see!

Some of the arguments that I came across for pollen storage was that the flour dilutes the pollen and in some cases makes a barrier between the pistil and pollen preventing contact.

I'll be doing some more reading about it soon. We'll see what I can dig up.

Some of the arguments that I came across for pollen storage was that the flour dilutes the pollen and in some cases makes a barrier between the pistil and pollen preventing contact.
I'll be doing some more reading about it soon. We'll see what I can dig up.
Thanks VG! I was thinking that the dilution factor alone made me want to really slather it on. I used almost all I had in the tube, because if it works I won't need to make any more seeds. And if it doesn't it was worthless to begin with!

Thanks VG! I was thinking that the dilution factor alone made me want to really slather it on. I used almost all I had in the tube, because if it works I won't need to make any more seeds. And if it doesn't it was worthless to begin with!
Very sound reasoning.

Thanks Carmen, I was wondering the same thing.
Exactly that! The bottom of the stem sits just above the water level. I found it easiest to make a hole in the side of the cup about an inch up from the bottom so I would know exactly where the water line was. Then I measured from that to the top of the perlite and sunk the stem that deep.
Great stuff Shed. I was wondering how pumice would go as I have a bag of that in the garage, and then @FelipeBlu suggested that might be good too. I am guessing they'd have similar properties. But I like the simplicity of the set up.

Good luck for the pollination of the Candida!

Back
Top Bottom