InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Also...look up the ThreeALight dude and his "schwammy" method. I think that's how it is spelled. He swears by the HST of stripping fan leaves. He boasts 3 lbs per light by using this method. Soooo...

I will send you a PM because I don't want to break rules. I do believe that many of our sponsors definitely have some great genetics! There are some that are more stable than others though. When you have genetics that are popping the same pheno, generation after generation, then I think we are getting to heirloom cultivars. Those are few and far between in my research. I can say that my next run will be two heirlooms varietals.

Indeed! Also, the cultivation practices can affect a plant's crop. So many variables!

This argument right here @Moony is what made my logic antennas go haywire. It makes absolute sense when you look at it from the plant's perspective. Or how a out a home's solar panels. On a crummy and cloudy day, my house is forced to engage the grid for power. When the plant's PRIMARY energy makers are gone...the plant is forced to get energy from other areas and also expending that energy to create more energy makers.

As a society, we are horribly deficient when it comes to our endocannabinoid system. If we could help each other find that balance and peace, I believe a lot of the madness would begin to disappear. When I fill my endocannabinoid system...I basically don't give a shit anymore about just about anything except growing and healing. All the crap that makes me angry and frustrated just starts to fade away.

Ok..shit... that's not true. I'm still a bit bitter about my shitty drying and curing craftsmanship. Stoned or not...I'm still pissed. Ok...carry on.

Shed explained it perfectly. You are ALREADY doing right by your plants. By tuning into their individual needs. Every varietal is going to require different care based on so many factors. I also watch that channel btw. He has wonderful productions and sound advice. I just think that it is important to take in advice and wisdom from multiple sources and start building your own library of wisdom. I make far too many mistakes plus I'm forgetful. I try and reduce that by listening (or ignoring...or forgetting) to advice from others. Blessings.

I was more about people saying any strain can initiate any particular behaviour in anyone is just not true lol. I smoke and get stoned. I don't create music or art or any of the other random claims I've seen hehe

Genetics etc I take on what info I get told. If you trust the seed bank etc that's fine. I was more talking about opinion and fact. It's a fact that a strain can get X amount of THC if they have measured as such. The terpines present if identified can also be a fact. But you can't tell someone smoking a certain strain will make them more creative as that is just plain bullshit lol. I'm sure ya know what I'm talking about on the strain review sites like leafy it's just opinion not fact that's all.

I agree with the arguments completely and the logic which backs it up. I wouldn't have even brought it to the table if that guy doesn't do it every crop and come out with amazing bud everytime. You've seen the videos lol. Like I said we need to get shed a production team and a soundtrack haha

I don't create music or art or any of the other random claims I've seen hehe
I can say that there are some strains that put me in the cleaning mood! I can clean the shit out of a bathroom on some Jack Herer. Or was it just that one vape that one time. Could I recreate that motivation by growing a JH for myself?!

I get what you are saying about opinion and fact about the typical influences you can expect to enjoy. Could that be a placebo somehow as well? I think for some it certainly could be. The mind is a powerful thing and if I'm convinced that I will experience say Y, then I can most certainly entertain those preconceived notions. I can potentially experience them in my own head. Leading to more cultivation of these types of expected results. Truly complicated on so many levels.

I will continue to grow and investigate what helps my health (how and why) and also do my best to help others around me. So much misinformation and overall ignorance still exists. The simple fact that every person's experience can be different should be reason alone to be dumping billions into its research. That goes for so many other plants we have yet to tap into.

I can say that there are some strains that put me in the cleaning mood! I can clean the shit out of a bathroom on some Jack Herer. Or was it just that one vape that one time. Could I recreate that motivation by growing a JH for myself?!

I get what you are saying about opinion and fact about the typical influences you can expect to enjoy. Could that be a placebo somehow as well? I think for some it certainly could be. The mind is a powerful thing and if I'm convinced that I will experience say Y, then I can most certainly entertain those preconceived notions. I can potentially experience them in my own head. Leading to more cultivation of these types of expected results. Truly complicated on so many levels.

I will continue to grow and investigate what helps my health (how and why) and also do my best to help others around me. So much misinformation and overall ignorance still exists. The simple fact that every person's experience can be different should be reason alone to be dumping billions into its research. That goes for so many other plants we have yet to tap into.
As per usual we're on the same page hehe. Maybe one day we will understand all aspects. The more legalised it gets the more gets learned so you never know.

Personally I just like being stoned more than not. And I love the different flavours weed has each new strain is a discovery and even different buds from the same ounce can taste different. It's awesome really :). The one thing that I do read very interestedly is the flavour profile/terpines as that's what I love. It's gotta be strong don't get me wrong. But it's the different flavours which get me excited to roll another.

Re: The defoliation debate.

I wonder if some of the rules might have changed with the newer light sources. Under HID for instance, all the light comes from a small bar in one location in the sky. Unless you use a mover, it stays there in the same spot all the time. That means that parts of the under-canopy will always be in shade.

With LEDS, that light source is divided into many small points all across the sky. No leaf is ever in "shade" like it would be under a single source.

So defoliation may have been a way to compensate for the shading under good ol' HPS.

And, I haven't studied the defol thing because I never really believed in it, but ... is it done outside where the sun moves across the sky all day?

Re: The defoliation debate.
I wonder if some of the rules might have changed with the newer light sources. Under HID for instance, all the light comes from a small bar in one location in the sky. Unless you use a mover, it stays there in the same spot all the time. That means that parts of the under-canopy will always be in shade.
With LEDS, that light source is divided into many small points all across the sky. No leaf is ever in "shade" like it would be under a single source.
So defoliation may have been a way to compensate for the shading under good ol' HPS.
And, I haven't studied the defol thing because I never really believed in it, but ... is it done outside where the sun moves across the sky all day?
Thanks Graytail...my whole method of trimming the lower buds in flower and leaving the fans is based on your advice!

Even outside I have fans that never see the sun, but they are still transpiring and absorbing reflected light. My Jack Herer is pretty dense, but I can't see taking off top/outer fans to let the lower/inner ones get the sun. That would seem counter productive.
full

Icemud also did some great work on how the photons change as they pass through the canopy. There's more bouncing around than you might think, and the spectrum even changes as the light gets filtered through the leaves. Twas ever thus, so the plant is adapted to it and expects it. There's some beneficial stuff going on under there.

And that sun moves across the sky. Your plants get a changing angle while they're out there. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If you really want me to do a thinning video to a Skrillix soundtrack, I'll consider it. :high-five:
I’d watch it!! My husband loves EDM, me usually not so much. I’m more 80’s hair bands, rock and roll and hip hop. Buuuttt…..Skrillix I do enjoy!

Hey Shed! :ciao:
Just wanted to express my gratitude and say :thanks: to you and the gang. It's been 10 days since the Runtz was horribly yellow and thanks to you guys it's now looking 10 times better. I wasn't expecting all those yellow leaves to turn green again but thankfully most of them have! :yahoo: The buds are swelling nicely and she looks set to make it to harvest no problem.
IMG_20211214_162659.jpg
IMG_20211214_162829.jpg

Highya ITS,

Love your logic on trimming. I follow the same logic (leaving leaves on, removing branches that won't make a good cola). I am slack after flowering because they are so big. I guess it's never too late to remove potential larf. But, I like to keep as many leaves on the stock because the nutrient resevoir in later bud stages. Just my $0.02. Happy Smokin'

Also...look up the ThreeALight dude and his "schwammy" method. I think that's how it is spelled. He swears by the HST of stripping fan leaves. He boasts 3 lbs per light by using this method. Soooo...
I know some commercial growers who swear by the shwammy method. It works for sure but nutes and everything have to be dialed in. Just no room for error.

I know some commercial growers who swear by the shwammy method. It works for sure but nutes and everything have to be dialed in. Just no room for error.
Shwammy? Is that like shwazzing?

Tuesday and it's pissing down with rain, here are a few pics from the inside update!

First, I got soaked heading out to the shed, but the two plants are tucked in warm-ish and dry in the Oval of Brightness®:

That's the Jack Herer in front and the Sour G peeking in from behind, both on flip day 44. Temp range was 62-71º in there and it takes 240w/hour of heat to keep it like that.

Unfortunately, the buds don't seem to be building on either of these two, which I'm chalking up to the cold in spite of the heater. I don't think I've flowered in the shed this time of year before, only vegged. Lessons for the future!

Moving on to the tent, here is the Doug's Varin on day 43, 18" tall this morning (1" growth since transplant on Saturday):

VG is itching to top hers, and since we'd like to top on the same day I will do it as soon as I have enough growth above the 9th node to leave the double H stump. Could be as early as tomorrow:
That's it from soaking SoCal! Put on your kamikluk to stay warm and dry. :thumb:

Quotes:
Icemud also did some great work on how the photons change as they pass through the canopy. There's more bouncing around than you might think, and the spectrum even changes as the light gets filtered through the leaves. Twas ever thus, so the plant is adapted to it and expects it. There's some beneficial stuff going on under there.
And that sun moves across the sky. Your plants get a changing angle while they're out there.
It's always important to remember that our plants have thousands of years of evolutionary adaptation behind them, and I try to work with that as much as I can rather than against it.
I did a little rummaging around and came up with this old post from Shiggity. He explains the whole shadowing thing pretty well.
Shiggity Goes Mad Scientist: Paving The Yellowbrix Road With DIY Adventures!
As far as it applies to defol, I dunno.
Great find Graytail! Terrific explanation of point vs distributed light sources, and he sums up my approach to defoliation perfectly here:
If we are doing our jobs right the entire canopy will block light that is traveling vertically downward.
I always try to explain to folks that when you look down from above, you shouldn't be able to see the pot after thinning. If you can, you're wasting photons and electricity and not maximizing plant/bud development.
I’d watch it!! My husband loves EDM, me usually not so much. I’m more 80’s hair bands, rock and roll and hip hop. Buuuttt…..Skrillix I do enjoy!
Without kids I'd never have heard of Skrillix, but now I know the "words" to a few of his songs. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Plenty of different plants/trees in the wild grow great fruit and nothing but the elements and animals are doing the “pruning”. Plenty good fruit grown in the “shade”. In my humble opinion.
True, though I always thought the sweetest peaches were the ones in the sun.
Just wanted to express my gratitude and say :thanks: to you and the gang. It's been 10 days since the Runtz was horribly yellow and thanks to you guys it's now looking 10 times better. I wasn't expecting all those yellow leaves to turn green again but thankfully most of them have! The buds are swelling nicely and she looks set to make it to harvest no problem.
Great news WL! Glad we could get you back on the right track. :green_heart:
Love your logic on trimming. I follow the same logic (leaving leaves on, removing branches that won't make a good cola). I am slack after flowering because they are so big. I guess it's never too late to remove potential larf. But, I like to keep as many leaves on the stock because the nutrient resevoir in later bud stages. Just my $0.02. Happy Smokin'
Thanks Bode, and someday we would love to see just one pic of those summertime beauties. :thumb:
Shwammy? Is that like shwazzing?
Whatever it's called it's gotta be tough to recreate commercial grow conditions at home, and impossible outside. I've seen some growers do it but I've never seen anyone run side-by-side clones to see if it actually increases harvest weights. And if not all commercial growers are doing it, why not if it's actually been proven? :hmmmm:

Whatever it's called it's gotta be tough to recreate commercial grow conditions at home, and impossible outside. I've seen some growers do it but I've never seen anyone run side-by-side clones to see if it actually increases harvest weights.
Now that would be an interesting project to follow.

Oval of Brightness® is looking sweet! And I'm peeping back at that Sour G:Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom