InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

In that case, I don't know. 🤷‍♂️
My farmer mate reckons dirty leaves causing respiration issues on those lower leaves. Post Neem application.

Like insta said that before even squatting down to take a look.

Leave them and see of they come back cleaned.

Nick

Not the way yours grow, that's for certain!
I've said this before & I'll say it again because I'm a firm believer it's true. I use to dial in my grow tent to 77F & 70% RH during Veg & 77F or lower & 30% RH during flower. My average yield was 4-6 oz. on a 5-6 week veg.
Once I started ignoring the VPD charts & letting my temps run mid 80's to low 90's & not caring if my RH got down to 40% during Veg is when my yields doubled. Once I get to flower is when I try to dial things in better so I get nice tight, hard buds. I have no problem getting low RH since I'm in AZ. with a dry climate. But I do feel it's necessary to run temps 68 - 77F during Flower to get a really good final product.
Never the less, my point is.... If you use LED's it's better to run higher temps during the Veg cycle for bigger, faster growth. It's worked great for me.
Maybe the higher temps cause the plants to drink more & that's why they get big pretty fast. If you remember, I was filling my Res in the SIP's twice per day once I hit flower. Not sure if there's anything to this, but it sure does seem like it.

I think I'm going to try something just to see how it goes. A friend of mine is bringing me a couple of clones this weekend. I'm going to put one in my living room under a 100 watt LED. No tent, fan or anything else. Yes it will never be 100% dark in the room. I will run the light on 18/6. Just going to do this during the Veg cycle.
Once it's time to flower I'll put it in a dark closet on 12/12 with a small fan for circulation. I'm curious as to whether it will Hermie. I really don't think it will. I'm starting to think you can do all kinds of shit to them during Veg.; but you have to follow the rules in Flower. If it works & I can repeat the process a few times in a row with the same results ????

I've said this before & I'll say it again because I'm a firm believer it's true. I use to dial in my grow tent to 77F & 70% RH during Veg & 77F or lower & 30% RH during flower. My average yield was 4-6 oz. on a 5-6 week veg.
Once I started ignoring the VPD charts & letting my temps run mid 80's to low 90's & not caring if my RH got down to 40% during Veg is when my yields doubled. Once I get to flower is when I try to dial things in better so I get nice tight, hard buds. I have no problem getting low RH since I'm in AZ. with a dry climate. But I do feel it's necessary to run temps 68 - 77F during Flower to get a really good final product.
Never the less, my point is.... If you use LED's it's better to run higher temps during the Veg cycle for bigger, faster growth. It's worked great for me.
Maybe the higher temps cause the plants to drink more & that's why they get big pretty fast. If you remember, I was filling my Res in the SIP's twice per day once I hit flower. Not sure if there's anything to this, but it sure does seem like it.
Interesting advice that might be helpful to the tent growers out there!
I think I'm going to try something just to see how it goes. A friend of mine is bringing me a couple of clones this weekend. I'm going to put one in my living room under a 100 watt LED. No tent, fan or anything else. Yes it will never be 100% dark in the room. I will run the light on 18/6. Just going to do this during the Veg cycle.
Once it's time to flower I'll put it in a dark closet on 12/12 with a small fan for circulation. I'm curious as to whether it will Hermie. I really don't think it will. I'm starting to think you can do all kinds of shit to them during Veg.; but you have to follow the rules in Flower. If it works & I can repeat the process a few times in a row with the same results ????
I don't think it will hermie just because it's not totally dark during the hours the light is off in veg. I run 24/0 in veg and if it's never totally dark in your living room, you kinda are too.

Obviously flower is a whole different story!

Interesting advice that might be helpful to the tent growers out there!

I don't think it will hermie just because it's not totally dark during the hours the light is off in veg. I run 24/0 in veg and if it's never totally dark in your living room, you kinda are too.

Obviously flower is a whole different story!
My thought is, if it doesn't Hermie, then you do not have to zip up your tent in Veg.

My thought is, if it doesn't Hermie, then you do not have to zip up your tent in Veg.
I don't think you need to zip up in veg if the light outside is consistent, but I might be a bit concerned if the dark period is periodically broken with on/off lighting. That might start and stop the plant in its normal cycle and increase the chance of a confused plant. Even the gas lantern routine is the same schedule every night.

Buds, I grew a pair of photoperiod plants on my table top last year. I literally tented them in black plastic bags for the dark period and neither hermied on me. I'm pretty amazed actually. Every evening I hung black plastic bags up against the windows and tented the plants as in the photo. Every morning I took them down. There were unavoidable light leaks and no hermie.

Buds, I grew a pair of photoperiod plants on my table top last year. I literally tented them in black plastic bags for the dark period and neither hermied on me. I'm pretty amazed actually. Every evening I hung black plastic bags up against the windows and tented the plants as in the photo. Every morning I took them down. There were unavoidable light leaks and no hermie.

ShedTent™ LOL! :thanks:

Many growers will find that a small but consistent light won't cause the plants to hermie. Distance probably matters too as folks with lights on their timers/dehuys/etc. in the tent will sometimes report hermies. I remember that @Smeegol (also in SA) grew big outside plants down the street from a streetlight.

Interesting.
Just today I was thinking maybe the nearby garden lights are a concern. Also have LED rope lighting under my eves about 50 ft away. Could either keep plants in veg or cause hermie? Not very bright but still a little more light than I would like.

My rule outdoors is if it's brighter than a full moon then it's an issue. As I'm in the city there is a bit of light at night but not enough to have any effect. Planting under a street lamp would be an issue but fairy lights 50m away i don't see that doing anything.
Oh and something I've noticed is that if the light is there from day one, the plant doesn't seem to skip a beat, provided it's not brighter than a full moon.

Interesting.
Just today I was thinking maybe the nearby garden lights are a concern. Also have LED rope lighting under my eves about 50 ft away. Could either keep plants in veg or cause hermie? Not very bright but still a little more light than I would like.
I would suggest measuring that light if you’re able. If more than like 100 ppfd is hitting the plant you may have a concern. I had the exact same problem. The garden light would concern me more. I went as far as to set up light blockers outside on the one side of my supposed “dark spot.” You saw my outdoor grows. I went maybe 3 for 11 on no hermies. I simply have too much ambient light overnight from too many sources. The reason I suggest measuring it is only because I have yet to meet the grower who can accurately measure the light hitting a plant with their eyes. Many a time I thought I was plenty dark, and nope.

I have landscape lighting within 10 ft of my plants, and pergola lights about 30 ft away, and I have never had any issues with them.
Also, for my indoor grow, I do not have a tent. The plants just sit on a table in the garage under my LED lights. Often times while the LEDs are off and plants in flower, the door gets opened and triggers the motion sensor garage lights to turn on. One of the fluorescent lights is right above the LED lights. So far, I have not had any issues with those plants either. :hmmmm:

Quick pic of pistils today for the Wednesday update, flip day 12 for the 5 Killer Cookies:

Just for those who like to keep track of that stuff...I only count days from flip!

Also, I've got some sort of double bud on one of the tops:

I've been pulling them apart to prevent bud rot down the line, but once they get a bit bigger I'll add one of @Jon's spreader sticks that work well for him, but on a much smaller scale!

Also, I've decided to skip the Big Data addition to the Prescription Blend nutes. I think there's plenty of P and K in the mix currently (127-51-204), especially in light of the info posted at the top of this thread:

The thread devolves into an argument about the value of science, but the first 5 posts are worth reading, and then anything that @farside05 says. :)

That's is from me today. Stay cool calm and collected. :surf:

Quotes:
My rule outdoors is if it's brighter than a full moon then it's an issue. As I'm in the city there is a bit of light at night but not enough to have any effect. Planting under a street lamp would be an issue but fairy lights 50m away i don't see that doing anything.
Oh and something I've noticed is that if the light is there from day one, the plant doesn't seem to skip a beat, provided it's not brighter than a full moon.
Great info, thanks Lerugged! Are you also okay with 15.24 meters? ;)
I would suggest measuring that light if you’re able. If more than like 100 ppfd is hitting the plant you may have a concern. I had the exact same problem. The garden light would concern me more. I went as far as to set up light blockers outside on the one side of my supposed “dark spot.” You saw my outdoor grows. I went maybe 3 for 11 on no hermies. I simply have too much ambient light overnight from too many sources. The reason I suggest measuring it is only because I have yet to meet the grower who can accurately measure the light hitting a plant with their eyes. Many a time I thought I was plenty dark, and nope.
That seems like a good approach since our eyes are at best mediocre at gauging brightness. Thanks!
Thanks for that outstanding thinning tutorial! I'm about to get my pinch on here too! Less larf = more quality bud!
Glad to help Otter! One thing to keep in mind is that on plants that are larf from bottom to top (like true sativas), I would probably wouldn't pluck a single thing. #alllarf
I have landscape lighting within 10 ft of my plants, and pergola lights about 30 ft away, and I have never had any issues with them.
Also, for my indoor grow, I do not have a tent. The plants just sit on a table in the garage under my LED lights. Often times while the LEDs are off and plants in flower, the door gets opened and triggers the motion sensor garage lights to turn on. One of the fluorescent lights is right above the LED lights. So far, I have not had any issues with those plants either.
Thanks BL, good to know about your garden lights, but I would really suggest against having that garage light go on at random times, just to be on the safe side!

getting crack. Like me!

Lol yeah plastics without any softeners will crack and start to decompose when exposed to uv light. I really don't know which is better to use old plastics that lasts longer or "environment" friendly plastic that really won't last longer than you stepping out from the store...

I reused some 40 year old roof draining runs a while back. That plastic got hologenic substances in it but it still won't break... love that stuff. So I keep wondering... which is best? 😂

She's lucky to have had you (and a better half like you) in her life, and it sounds like you're just as lucky!

Yeah I know the other day she completely took charge of my desperate financial situation and steered it up for the better. Now I feel I have a better chance to make it work once again. I've been in the worst condition ever past years, I was just a hairs width from loosing everything. Now I'm in 'the turn' let's hope 'the river' will carry me to the top once more and things will be better.

Your ductape mod seems to be doing the job with that beautiful plant you got in it. Makes me miss my outdoor cheese when I look at it. Soon I will pick it up again....

Quick pic of pistils today for the Wednesday update, flip day 12 for the 5 Killer Cookies:

Just for those who like to keep track of that stuff...I only count days from flip!

I've been pulling them apart to prevent bud rot down the line, but once they get a bit bigger I'll add one of @Jon's spreader sticks that work well for him, but on a much smaller scale!

Also, I've decided to skip the Big Data addition to the Prescription Blend nutes. I think there's plenty of P and K in the mix currently (127-51-204), especially in light of the info posted at the top of this thread:

The thread devolves into an argument about the value of science, but the first 5 posts are worth reading, and then anything that @farside05 says. :)

Quotes:

That seems like a good approach since our eyes are at best mediocre at gauging brightness. Thanks!

Glad to help Otter! One thing to keep in mind is that on plants that are larf from bottom to top (like true sativas), I would probably wouldn't pluck a single thing. #alllarf

Thanks BL, good to know about your garden lights, but I would really suggest against having that garage light go on at random times, just to be on the safe side!
Thanks Shed! Question - have you decided to skip the Big Data altogether or just for now? Also that double bud or whatever it is looks super cool.

Lol yeah plastics without any softeners will crack and start to decompose when exposed to uv light. I really don't know which is better to use old plastics that lasts longer or "environment" friendly plastic that really won't last longer than you stepping out from the store...

I reused some 40 year old roof draining runs a while back. That plastic got hologenic substances in it but it still won't break... love that stuff. So I keep wondering... which is best?
Beats me, I just use whatever is lying around (obviously)!
Yeah I know the other day she completely took charge of my desperate financial situation and steered it up for the better. Now I feel I have a better chance to make it work once again. I've been in the worst condition ever past years, I was just a hairs width from loosing everything. Now I'm in 'the turn' let's hope 'the river' will carry me to the top once more and things will be better.
That's terrific news, and especially good that she could help you out of that jam. :goodluck: with future decisions...and check with her first!
Your ductape mod seems to be doing the job with that beautiful plant you got in it. Makes me miss my outdoor cheese when I look at it. Soon I will pick it up again....
Thanks CraZy, and I remember being thrilled that chunky Cheese was half a world away in flower. ;)
Thanks Shed! Question - have you decided to skip the Big Data altogether or just for now? Also that double bud or whatever it is looks super cool.
I'll be skipping Big Data completely. As it is the last week of veg formula is 131-51-204, which is higher K than I would run in flower generally. If I add the BD in their amount it brings it to 131-83-241 which is well over where I want to be.

Quotes:

Hey Shed, healthy looking ladies ! Good luck with ur grow 🤟🏽

Back
Top Bottom