InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

Glad to help Otter! One thing to keep in mind is that on plants that are larf from bottom to top (like true sativas), I would probably wouldn't pluck a single thing. #alllarf
As the Candida last year. That plant was busy like a sativa! I let her go and was rewarded with arms full of frosty sativa style bud! I'll have to consider this IKLWA. She's getting busy now!

The GM went into her sip on 6/5, at 34 days old- this got me thinking-
maybe 34 days old is too late for the soil roots to transition to water roots?

Well, considering your substantial skill set , I don't see that happening...

(GM roots/day 34)
20230604_192000 GM upcan day 34.jpg

Those roots are pretty well established as soil roots, maybe there's a point at which the plant can no longer transition to water roots ?

Although, finding out when that is would take some experimenting.🤔

Of course, without knowing the age of the plants that others transplant into their SIPs, I'm just guessing here- maybe it's common practice to wait that long?

just my 2 cents...:cheesygrinsmiley:
Hey guys, my experience w/ my DIY SIPS, all types, can incur two different stall types for two different reasons.

Type 1 stall, a two week stall-out that takes place when I transplant into a SIP from non-SWICK/SIP seedling pot, just traditional 2-3 gal. Best way to avoid is develop a SIP/Seedling system so you grow good water roots by transplant

Type 2 stall, when I fail to transplant before node 5 matures, I get an Eterna-Stall, regardless how I raised the plant thus far, even transplanting 6 node plant that's been bottom watered or in baby SIPs still experiences a mega stall and overall performs poorly yield-wise.

There's no growth in type 2, seemingly forever, or, its ultra-slow for ages and this is when root rot can really set in quickly. Roots need to constantly grow and shed the old, used 'skin'cells just like us, and like us require invisible microbes to clean it away. If growth stops the roots immediately become prone to rot as this constantly dying root matter still builds up and if you don't have beneficial bacteria that will eat it, harmful fungi will, and root rot proceeds from there.

Have some bacteria or enzymes on hand that keep your rhizome healthy by cleaning roots and turning the excess into mineral plant food. I use a drain cleaner/septic field bacterial treatment product because it has all of the beasties my rhizome needs and its a helluva lot cheaper and way more powerful than dedicated canna bennies. I also recommend and have used these bennies, Real Growers Recharge (seller of grow dots time release nutes and a new 5-gal SIP setup), and NPK Veg microbes.

NPK gives you a lot of nice Subtilis, Trichs, Streps, Brasilineses and EndoMycos - and their separate Flower Microbes focus on multiple phosphorus solubizing bacteria. Love both.

Everything I recommend ships as a dry wettable powder, so has long shelf-life, except the Septic cleaner stuff is affixed and dried on to a very finely ground seed bran, just like Bokashi, except orders of magnitude more powerful and much finer bran. It has excellent shelf life also.

However, I started producing a special canna-tuned vermicompost where I feed the worms on home-grown accumulator plants and special additives (nettles, comfrey, seaweed, horsetail, neam cake, ground oyster shells, psilocybe cubensis mushroom-grow blocks already harvested - super high in calcium and L-Aminos - powdered eggshells, mycorhizae, local microbes from forest loam, and a few other choice additives that make my worm poo ultra-power-packed, including spraying worm trays with a mild GreenLeaf Sweet Candy mix to feed the microbes even more... Nowadays I use teas from this vermicompost to douse my root system with micro-fauna. I hear Great White is good also, I think @RedskinnedRhino dumps it straight into his reservoir fill pipe.

Hey guys, my experience w/ my DIY SIPS, all types, can incur two different stall types for two different reasons.

Type 1 stall, a two week stall-out that takes place when I transplant into a SIP from non-SWICK/SIP seedling pot, just traditional 2-3 gal. Best way to avoid is develop a SIP/Seedling system so you grow good water roots by transplant

Type 2 stall, when I fail to transplant before node 5 matures, I get an Eterna-Stall, regardless how I raised the plant thus far, even transplanting 6 node plant that's been bottom watered or in baby SIPs still experiences a mega stall and overall performs poorly yield-wise.

There's no growth in type 2, seemingly forever, or, its ultra-slow for ages and this is when root rot can really set in quickly. Roots need to constantly grow and shed the old, used 'skin'cells just like us, and like us require invisible microbes to clean it away. If growth stops the roots immediately become prone to rot as this constantly dying root matter still builds up and if you don't have beneficial bacteria that will eat it, harmful fungi will, and root rot proceeds from there.

Have some bacteria or enzymes on hand that keep your rhizome healthy by cleaning roots and turning the excess into mineral plant food. I use a drain cleaner/septic field bacterial treatment product because it has all of the beasties my rhizome needs and its a helluva lot cheaper and way more powerful than dedicated canna bennies. I also recommend and have used these bennies, Real Growers Recharge (seller of grow dots time release nutes and a new 5-gal SIP setup), and NPK Veg microbes.

NPK gives you a lot of nice Subtilis, Trichs, Streps, Brasilineses and EndoMycos - and their separate Flower Microbes focus on multiple phosphorus solubizing bacteria. Love both.

Everything I recommend ships as a dry wettable powder, so has long shelf-life, except the Septic cleaner stuff is affixed and dried on to a very finely ground seed bran, just like Bokashi, except orders of magnitude more powerful and much finer bran. It has excellent shelf life also.

However, I started producing a special canna-tuned vermicompost where I feed the worms on home-grown accumulator plants and special additives (nettles, comfrey, seaweed, horsetail, neam cake, ground oyster shells, psilocybe cubensis mushroom-grow blocks already harvested - super high in calcium and L-Aminos - powdered eggshells, mycorhizae, local microbes from forest loam, and a few other choice additives that make my worm poo ultra-power-packed, including spraying worm trays with a mild GreenLeaf Sweet Candy mix to feed the microbes even more... Nowadays I use teas from this vermicompost to douse my root system with micro-fauna. I hear Great White is good also, I think @RedskinnedRhino dumps it straight into his reservoir fill pipe.
Wow. Just wow. I don’t know a damn thing about growing yet. Great post. Thanks.

Interesting ResDog. Applies to seedlings only I suppose. I haven't seen that in my setup but mine is mostly all from clone.

How about a Saturday afternoon update on the Summer grow while I'm here?

First up, since ResDog stopped by with an informative post on SIP-stall, let's take a peek at Grandpa's Moonshine on day 75 above ground (8 days from replant from SIP into a cloth pot). This is what it looked like on replant day:

full

and here it is today (I pulled off the dead fans):

Here's a closeup of the leaves:

and in the tent with less contrast:

I think I'm seeing improvement, so that's a nice turn of events! :yahoo:

Also, for those who want to see a boron deficiency:

When the roots aren't functioning well, lots of weirdness shows up topside.

And for the record, I'm giving Grandpa's Moonshine 4.5g/gallon of actual MC since that's what the clones and mothers get. The 5KC is sucking down the Prescription Blend nutes at a good clip so that's where I'll dedicate that resource!

Moving on, here is the 5 Killer Cookies on flip day 15:

Things are cruising right along with this...so far so good. :thumb:

I think I've lost one lower fan the entire 5KC grow , but I've got two more starting to yellow after 75 days above ground:

...which I'll leave alone for now. If it begins to spread up I'll take a look at upping the nitrogen using either more of some PB bottle or from another source on hand.

And lastly, still taking off small stuff:

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope your weekend is going summerly (in the northern hemisphere obv.). :surf:

Quotes:
As the Candida last year. That plant was busy like a sativa! I let her go and was rewarded with arms full of frosty sativa style bud! I'll have to consider this IKLWA. She's getting busy now!
You do know how to bring it outside! I mean, inside too but that's a different conversation. :cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks for the great post RD! If that's been your experience and I waited until 9 nodes before the SIP move, that certainly explains the root issue I had. And from all the work needed to try to recover from that in a SIP I'm damn glad I replanted it in a cloth bag to finish out the grow.

:thanks:
Wow. Just wow. I don’t know a damn thing about growing yet.
Oh you sure do Jon. ;)

First up, since ResDog stopped by with an informative post on SIP-stall, let's take a peek at Grandpa's Moonshine on day 75 above ground (8 days from replant from SIP into a cloth pot). This is what it looked like on replant day:

full

And for the record, I'm giving Grandpa's Moonshine 4.5g/gallon of actual MC since that's what the clones and mothers get. The 5KC is sucking down the Prescription Blend nutes at a good clip so that's where I'll dedicate that resource!

I think I've lost one lower fan the entire 5KC grow , but I've got two more starting to yellow after 75 days above ground:

...which I'll leave alone for now. If it begins to spread up I'll take a look at upping the nitrogen using either more of some PB bottle or from another sources on hand.

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope your weekend is going summerly (in the northern hemisphere obv.). :surf:

Quotes:

You do know how to bring it outside! I mean, inside too but that's a different conversation. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks for the great post RD! If that's been your experience and I waited until 9 nodes before the SIP move, that certainly explains the root issue I had. And from all the work needed to try to recover from that in a SIP I'm damn glad I replanted it in a cloth bag to finish out the grow.

Oh you sure do Jon. ;)
Those cookies man fuck that’s all I can say speechless give your self a pat on the back you killed it man! Now your almost at the finish line! I’m happy Grandpa is doing better hope you have a awesome weekend Mastef Shed!

full

...which I'll leave alone for now. If it begins to spread up I'll take a look at upping the nitrogen using either more of some PB bottle or from another sources on hand.

Quotes:

Oh you sure do Jon. ;)
The GM is looking happier, more leaves are pointing upward now & the others look awesome

The upper leaves are almost praying, as opposed to drooping, and they're not as "puffy" as they have been- she's definitely getting better..nice save, Shed!:bravo:

full

Quotes:

Oh you sure do Jon. ;)
5KC looks great.

Those cookies man fuck that’s all I can say speechless give your self a pat on the back you killed it man! Now your almost at the finish line! I’m happy Grandpa is doing better hope you have a awesome weekend Mastef Shed!
Thanks TC, and I'd say the finish line has got to be close to 2 months out! Not sure I did all that much other than correctly grow good genetics. Bottom watering the SWICK from sprout seems to have made a huge difference. Both of these are from @ChefDGreen but I feel like I let him down on Grandpa's Moonshine. I hope the turnaround continues and I can get that one to a happy harvest. 🤞
Wow Shed, It's so good to see how the GM has turned around and is doing so well now! 5KC is more stunning every time you update.
Thank you Carmen! When I opened the tent this morning that GM was a pleasant surprise, and I need to keep raising the light in the shed as the 5KC keeps stretching. 🦒
The GM is looking happier, more leaves are pointing upward now & the others look awesome
True, I wasn't even looking at the new growth, but after you and Carcass ↓ pointed it out that's yet another positive sign. Thanks con!
The upper leaves are almost praying, as opposed to drooping, and they're not as "puffy" as they have been- she's definitely getting better..nice save, Shed!
Thanks Carcass! The lack of puff was what I noticed, and what a relief it was. :sigh: I gave it about 3/4 gallon at 6pm to keep the new roots happy in the heat we've been getting.
5KC looks great.
Thank you Keith. :)

You sir are quite busy I

full

...which I'll leave alone for now. If it begins to spread up I'll take a look at upping the nitrogen using either more of some PB bottle or from another source on hand.

Quotes:

Oh you sure do Jon. ;)

Those ae some beauties Shed!

Grampas Moonshine just needed tweaking

and those Killer Cookies look sweeeet!

You are quite the master of that shed my friend! :love:

Thanks TC, and I'd say the finish line has got to be close to 2 months out! Not sure I did all that much other than correctly grow good genetics. Bottom watering the SWICK from sprout seems to have made a huge difference. Both of these are from @ChefDGreen but I feel like I let him down on Grandpa's Moonshine. I hope the turnaround continues and I can get that one to a happy harvest. 🤞

Thank you Carmen! When I opened the tent this morning that GM was a pleasant surprise, and I need to keep raising the light in the shed as the 5KC keeps stretching. 🦒

True, I wasn't even looking at the new growth, but after you and Carcass ↓ pointed it out that's yet another positive sign. Thanks con!

Thanks Carcass! The lack of puff was what I noticed, and what a relief it was. :sigh: I gave it about 3/4 gallon at 6pm to keep the new roots happy in the heat we've been getting.

Thank you Keith. :)
Really nice turn around there Shedster but I never doubted you for a second. lol CL🍀. :thumb: :ciao:

Interesting ResDog. Applies to seedlings only I suppose. I haven't seen that in my setup but mine is mostly all from clone.
That's a very important point, Azi, thank-you. Yeah, indeed, from what I've seen from an individual who uses 27-gal tote SIPs and plants them with 10-18-inch clones from a bubbler-type cloner, these stall-out issues are generally not experienced. Although, he did have an issue originally with his top-watered coco-cloner. Do you bubble-clone? (mebbe we ought return to SIP thread)

Highya ITS,

Love the 5KC you have! She's very prolific growing the new stuff! Very nice looking plant, with many tops reaching for the light. Nice to see GM is happy again. She'll do fine now. Happy Smokin'

Is that a smile I see on grumpy Grandpa's face?

Nice! :Rasta:

I just use whatever is lying around

Hey, you are talking to a expert in reuse and upcycling... remember?

Up scope...

That's terrific news, and especially good that she could help you out of that jam. :goodluck: with future decisions...and check with her first!
Yeah, she really pushed me in to the right direction for sure. But I'm not out of the woods yet, need to get a big damage correction to get out of this deep k-hole these last years have dug for me. Sure I got there on my own decisions but I never should have if I would have known what I know today. I'm talking about my parents country side house by the creek.

Thanks CraZy, and I remember being thrilled that chunky Cheese was half a world away in flower. ;)
Yeah and thanx to me you now know cannabis can thrive outside besides outside cali. 😅 and I know how fantastic outside grown weed teste like... its like comparing meat from a wild animal with a industrial farm feed. (May remember you beeing vegetarian?) 😂

Hey, you are talking to a expert in reuse and upcycling... remember?

Up scope...

Yeah, she really pushed me in to the right direction for sure. But I'm not out of the woods yet, need to get a big damage correction to get out of this deep k-hole these last years have dug for me. Sure I got there on my own decisions but I never should have if I would have known what I know today. I'm talking about my parents country side house by the creek.

Yeah and thanx to me you now know cannabis can thrive outside besides outside cali. 😅 and I know how fantastic outside grown weed teste like... its like comparing meat from a wild animal with an industrial farm feed. (May remember you beeing vegetarian?) 😂
Would that comparison work with fish 🐠? I like to go fishing 🎣 so if the occasion ever arrives for something pertinent to me then perhaps 🤔 you’ll use the fish comparison. Maybe 🤔 you should bookmark this so you’ll have a link. Lmao 🤣 CL🍀. :rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::ciao::cheesygrinsmiley:

Back
Top Bottom