InTheShed Grows Inside & Out: Jump In Any Time

That top just seemed to perfect to toss! I just refill the water every day and rinse off the stem to stop mold from growing on it. I'll get a pic tomorrow since it's grown a lot since then and has a flower on top!
As promised, let's update the top I cut off the Queen G auto 2 on December 27th:

full

compared to today, 29 days later:

Here's a shot of the flower:

No roots at all but plenty of growth. And in case anyone wonders if the claw from too much nitrogen goes away, it certainly didn't in this case!

As promised, let's update the top I cut off the Queen G auto 2 on December 27th:

full

compared to today, 29 days later:

Here's a shot of the flower:

No roots at all but plenty of growth. And in case anyone wonders if the claw from too much nitrogen goes away, it certainly didn't in this case!
growing with no roots cool, wonder how long it'll grow

We'll find out! It's just in clean tap water that I replace daily after washing the stem. For the first two weeks it was on the north-facing windowsill in the kitchen, but I moved it on the heat mat after that.
are you goin to try a rooting solution or just let it go and see what it does

Next stop, solo (or big gulp) cup!

You have higher hopes than I do!
Its just my theory but it won’t chuck any roots. Its already in flower and it has no source of nutrients other than those stored. It will assign any remaining energy resources to flower to fulfil its raison d’être. But even just a drop of Cal Mag in there (preferably more than that) and you’ll see roots

What do you reckon?

EDIT - We’ve seen something similar giving out free clones in coco. They grow fine for two weeks then they start dying if they only get water, give them even just cal mag you can string them along.

Its just my theory but it won’t chuck any roots. Its already in flower and it has no source of nutrients other than those stored. It will assign any remaining energy resources to flower to fulfil its raison d’être. But even just a drop of Cal Mag in there (preferably more than that) and you’ll see roots

What do you reckon?
I reckon that some varieties will root in water and some won't, at least that's been my experience with cloning over the years.

As far as I know, plants without roots have no way to get nutrition from medium (water or soil/coco/peat), so if I see roots I'll definitely feed it.

Is there something you can point to that says calmag will make stalks grow roots? All my cuttings that root do so without any nutes in the substrate at all, and if the calmag thing were true would anyone need to buy rooting hormone, including commercial nurseries (and they do). And are you thinking calmag with or without N (and Fe, which some have)?

I reckon that some varieties will root in water and some won't, at least that's been my experience with cloning over the years.

As far as I know, plants without roots have no way to get nutrition from medium (water or soil/coco/peat), so if I see roots I'll definitely feed it.

Is there something you can point to that says calmag will make stalks grow roots? All my cuttings that root do so without any nutes in the substrate at all, and if the calmag thing were true would anyone need to buy rooting hormone, including commercial nurseries (and they do). And are you thinking calmag with or without N (and Fe, which some have)?
Cal mag was more an example as we use it when we go to from paper to peat, ours is 4-0-0 plus Fe. We also started dosing the coco peat with it for clones which improved clone yields, but we were already using some cheapo cloning gel.

If there are any leaves left spare on plants today (we just defoliated 3 grow spaces) then I could try 3 - all in water.

Plain Water
Cal Mag amended water
Cloning gel plus water

And see what happens. The seedling light is still on so I’ll pop them under that and see what we get.

The N and Fe with Calcium probably good enough for adding green and just basic growth?

Cal mag was more an example as we use it when we go to from paper to peat
You mean for seedlings? They already have a root!
We also started dosing the coco peat with it for clones which improved clone yields, but we were already using some cheapo cloning gel.
Coco always requires calmag as you know, so having it in the coco when the roots begin to show will help the clone thrive.
If there are any leaves branches left spare on plants today (we just defoliated 3 grow spaces) then I could try 3 - all in water.

Plain Water
Cal Mag amended water
Cloning gel plus water
Definitely do that! I can try some 0-0-0 calmag to see if this one suddenly sprouts roots, as unscientific as that may be. :)
The N and Fe with Calcium probably good enough for adding green and just basic growth?
Once the roots appear, the correct amount of N will help with root elongation, as seen here:

"Deficiency in nitrogen severely interferes with root elongation growth and development; low to medium availability of nitrogen enhances root growth and branching to promote the exploitation of this macronutrient, whereas high levels of availability might inhibit the elongation growth of primary and lateral roots"

From here:

The Rev, in his book 'True Living Organics', mentioned adding cal-mag to help rooting after day 5 after cutting if memory serves.
Thanks Azi! If he means calmag with N that would reflect what the NIH link above shows: that once there are roots nitrogen will help their development. It also indicates the Rev doesn't believe that cal-mag helps create roots or he'd recommend it from day 1. At day 5 he must feel that roots are starting to grow and seek nutrition.
Didn't go completely but definitely improved
Definitely flattened out along the length, but the clawing on the end remains.

Cal mag was more an example as we use it when we go to from paper to peat, ours is 4-0-0 plus Fe. We also started dosing the coco peat with it for clones which improved clone yields, but we were already using some cheapo cloning gel.

If there are any leaves left spare on plants today (we just defoliated 3 grow spaces) then I could try 3 - all in water.

Plain Water
Cal Mag amended water
Cloning gel plus water

And see what happens. The seedling light is still on so I’ll pop them under that and see what we get.

I have a dumbass question. Why can't you graft it on some roots? Would the roots have to be the same age,type, etc? Who's ever got spare roots? Is grafting weed even possible? What would even be the advantages of doing it? Wow, that turned into several dumbass questions.

c'mon little cutting, root!
Thanks Carmen, like I need another auto plant!
I have a dumbass question. Why can't you graft it on some roots? Would the roots have to be the same age,type, etc? Who's ever got spare roots? Is grafting weed even possible? What would even be the advantages of doing it? Wow, that turned into several dumbass questions.
Hey POG, :welcome: back after some time away! No dumbass questions here and that (those) certainly isn't (aren't).

I haven't done any grafting of cannabis (or plants generally), but it definitely can be done. @Light Addict did a thread on it here:

The resulting graft would be the age and type of that top but with the maturity and mass of the roots. Many orchards are done that way, where they graft the preferred variety of fruit onto roots that are best suited to survive that environment.

I'm not sure of the advantage of doing it for autos, but for photos you could get a bunch of different varieties flowering on one plant for a varied harvest in a smaller space. And having one mother plant with many varieties on it plant (like LA did) would also save space, though it's a risky endeavor in case the roots go south!

In response to @Justin Goody's post Tuesday:
Is that a calcium issue due to the LEDs or do the leaves just die off?
I replied:
There are a other elements that show as leaf burn under light stress but I can't recall them at the moment. @MrSauga posted a video about that years back that may take me a bit to find.
I found the video (apologies for the Youtube sign-in requirement):

and at the 3:08 mark he describes how light affects the leaves if there is a potassium deficiency. I don't think I have one but he does recommend flushing the salts from the medium to enable better K uptake. It's probably too late for that on the Ruby Tuesday, but if it's warm this weekend I'll give it a go on it anyway as well as the Queen G.

Thanks to @MrSauga for bringing that video to my attention originally. :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom