Lady Cannafan Shrooming Midwest Grow Kits & Spore Genetics - APE, Blue Meanie & More

UPDATE: I have taken one APE #2 that is mycelium covered out of the jar and put it in a dunk bag. That thing did NOT want to come out of that jar. I sterilized my gloves with some ISO and had to twist it out slowly once enough was out to grab ahold of. No pinning on this cake at all. When I opened the jar there was a long piece of something that looked like a strip of cardboard on top of the cake. I removed that, don't know what it was.:hmmmm:

Now I'm going to sterilize the two empty spore syringes so I can use them again for my own spores. Some use a pressure cooker for this, but I am going to use a boiling water method.

Update:
I left the shrooms overnight hoping they would get bigger before plucking. Most of them had opened wide to flat tops this morning. I plucked them a bit ago.
How can I get them to grow taller and fatter.....more beef....before opening up?
I'll have a pic later. Some of the tops were very dark color.
More relative humidity alongside more air exchange will get them bulkier 🤘

More relative humidity alongside more air exchange will get them bulkier 🤘
There is a unit included to get airflow into the fruiting tub, but I don't really think it's putting out all that much air. I have an old aquarium air pump that I'm going to dig out, it has two ports for air. I'll give that a try and see if it makes a difference. There's plenty of humidity in there. Thanks!

UPDATE: I have taken one APE #2 that is mycelium covered out of the jar and put it in a dunk bag. That thing did NOT want to come out of that jar. I sterilized my gloves with some ISO and had to twist it out slowly once enough was out to grab ahold of. No pinning on this cake at all. When I opened the jar there was a long piece of something that looked like a strip of cardboard on top of the cake. I removed that, don't know what it was.:hmmmm:

Now I'm going to sterilize the two empty spore syringes so I can use them again for my own spores. Some use a pressure cooker for this, but I am going to use a boiling water method.
Please post how sterilizing the syringe goes, @Lady Cannafan. I emptied my Blue Yeti syringe when I inoculated everything last Saturday, so I flushed it clean by sucking up 70% alc and expelling it a few times. I kept it as I thought it may be useful. I wasn't sure if the plastic can handle the PC temperatures though. They probably bulk sterilize at the factory with gamma radiation. Faster than autoclaving. I figured the alcohol would be adequate but maybe not?

Please post how sterilizing the syringe goes, @Lady Cannafan. I emptied my Blue Yeti syringe when I inoculated everything last Saturday, so I flushed it clean by sucking up 70% alc and expelling it a few times. I kept it as I thought it may be useful. I wasn't sure if the plastic can handle the PC temperatures though. They probably bulk sterilize at the factory with gamma radiation. Faster than autoclaving. I figured the alcohol would be adequate but maybe not?
I PM'd you a video link.
I'm going to take a couple pics when I do mine and post it here, probably over the weekend. The alcohol was probably an extra measure that helps. I will do that too.

Sounds like you could've used a cork screw lol

Looking good in here @Lady Cannafan

You have all kind of stuff going on.
I am still sitting on the side lines waiting for mycelial growth and tending to my other garden.

When I inoculate my AIO bags I used 5ml in one and 7ml in the other. I did not thing 2ml was worth keeping for the future use. The research I have done mention 1to 1 1/2 ml per pound, so we are right in there.

Be safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..

One more thing I wanted to mention, the instructions for the substrate jars says if you don't see anything within two weeks something went wrong.
These jars inoculated with the APE spores were done on October 22! I saw signs of mycelium way after the other spore jars. I've waited that long for them, well over a month. So, I say if you don't see any mold or bad signs, stick with it and have faith.

I think equipment like that should be bought every time rather than cleaned. Just my personal opinion. Sure it’s technically viable but for what they cost versus amount of time wasted if they’re not 99.9% clean is a no brainer for me

Jars etc included. I understand new ones from Amazon could also be contaminated but for peace of mind new equipment like that every time for me

I think equipment like that should be bought every time rather than cleaned. Just my personal opinion. Sure it’s technically viable but for what they cost versus amount of time wasted if they’re not 99.9% clean is a no brainer for me

Jars etc included. I understand new ones from Amazon could also be contaminated but for peace of mind new equipment like that every time for me
I just checked amazon, they are much cheaper than I expected. 20 pack (sterile) for about 10.00 and some a little cheaper than that. :thumb:

After seeing that brown spot on one jar filter I was thinking maybe recycling my old preservative jars wasn't such a great idea. If I pursue the hobby some quart Mason jars are def in the future as well as some new, sterile syringes.

Be careful ordering syringes from Amazon. I found a good deal on (100) BH 10cc Luer Lock types, product #BH10LL, individually wrapped and sterilized for $15.99. Amazon also sells non-sterile bulk dispenser syringes so check you have the sterile, wrapped ones. Also if you get needles, get the larger 16 or 14 gauge if you plan on working with LC or master slurry jars so the needle doesn't clog up.

Be careful ordering syringes from Amazon. I found a good deal on (100) BH 10cc Luer Lock types, product #BH10LL, individually wrapped and sterilized for $15.99. Amazon also sells non-sterile bulk dispenser syringes so check you have the sterile, wrapped ones. Also if you get needles, get the larger 16 or 14 gauge if you plan on working with LC or master slurry jars so the needle doesn't clog up.
Thanks Becca! I love having a personal shopper! :rofl:

UPDATE: 12-1-23
New and Old
The first two are the PCE jars inoculated 6 days ago. They are moving right along.
The last pic is the two APE that were inoculated on 10-22-23 Finally showing some filling in.

I placed the APE cake from yesterday into the fruiting chamber after a dunk. Fingers crossed on that.

I also plucked two of the Tidal Wave in the fruiting tub this morning and used the caps to try spore printing. That's all done, now I wait to see if it works.

UPDATE: 12-1-23
New and Old
The first two are the PCE jars inoculated 6 days ago. They are moving right along.
The last pic is the two APE that were inoculated on 10-22-23 Finally showing some filling in.

I placed the APE cake from yesterday into the fruiting chamber after a dunk. Fingers crossed on that.

I also plucked two of the Tidal Wave in the fruiting tub this morning and used the caps to try spore printing. That's all done, now I wait to see if it works.

Spawn jars are lookin great.

My supplies all arrived last night. Now I need to find my buckets that have lids and I'm set to start.
I'm wondering, can the All In One Bag contents be broken up and added to this substrate?
And, excuse the unknown here, but how are you testing for "field capacity"?
Absolutely it can!! Also if you use seedling dose of nutes for cannabis you can absorb that into your coir as well!!! And the Mushies like that as well!! Tips and tricks!! Happy Saturday!! 😎✌️

Back
Top Bottom