The Shroom Room With Lady Cannafan

I really should do an update here. There isn't a whole lot happening right now, and I have had zero time to get anything new going.

I am still getting a couple of shrooms for Tidal Wave and Blue Meanie off the original substrates.
The newer ones are doing well for the most part. I have lots of little white dots happening on the mycelium, which is a very good sign.

I do have two Blue Meanie shoeboxes not looking like I want to keep them. I am getting a deja vu feeling of trichoderma showing up soon. Those two boxes are separated on their own in a different cupboard. I check them daily and the minute I see the trich or anything else off color, they will get tossed.

That's about it for now. Oh, @Ascended Master Kief , thanks for the trip report on your thread. That was nicely detailed and interesting!

I really should do an update here. There isn't a whole lot happening right now, and I have had zero time to get anything new going.

I am still getting a couple of shrooms for Tidal Wave and Blue Meanie off the original substrates.
The newer ones are doing well for the most part. I have lots of little white dots happening on the mycelium, which is a very good sign.

I do have two Blue Meanie shoeboxes not looking like I want to keep them. I am getting a deja vu feeling of trichoderma showing up soon. Those two boxes are separated on their own in a different cupboard. I check them daily and the minute I see the trich or anything else off color, they will get tossed.

That's about it for now. Oh, @Ascended Master Kief , thanks for the trip report on your thread. That was nicely detailed and interesting!
No problemo! Looking forward to this coming weekend (maybe another trip maybe).

Just stopped by to see how you are doing @Lady Cannafan

I haven't been able to do any shrooms lately, but things are looking up for Saturday night.
I was checking on the magic Honey today and everything is separated in levels. I plan on re-mixing it today.
The honey is definitely darker already.

Stay safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..
If I EVER get enough time, I'm going to make some as well. I keep forgetting the honey when I get my groceries....so I have an order in progress this morning, and Honey is making it to the list right now!

Motivation today is still hiding. Even the coffee hasn't scared it out. :laughtwo:
The substrates are doing okay. I've got pinning going on in some of the ones from February 9 using my culture.

The small fan that comes with the grow kit gave out. I disassembled to try to repair, but there must be a bushing in there that has gone. Once that fan shaft starts wobbling, there's pretty much nothing to be done. No amount of 3 in 1 oil or WD will fix it.
So, I rigged up a small computer fan for free air exchange and placed it in there. I think it might not be powerful enough, because I'm getting a lot of fuzzies on the shrooms and mycelium now. I will need to rig up a larger fan for sure.

I have harvested a couple of fairly big Blue Meanie's off the newer substrate, and have more that are going to be ready tomorrow most likely.

I might take some time today and cook up some birdseed to get more jars going, we'll see how I feel. If the sun comes and that ^&%$# new snow starts melting away, I will feel much more motivated. LOL

I decided I wanted one of the photos to feel Alice in Wonderland kind of animated. It helps the mood to elevate. LOL

Well, I decided to stop looking outside and do something productive. I have birdseed boiling now, it will go to drain and dry the outer husks with the help of a fan. Then I'm going to jar it up and pressure cook for 90 minutes, and once cooled, inoculate with spore solution syringes rather than more of my homemade culture syringes.
I want some different strains, so they will be Golden Teacher Platinum, Maui Platinum, Purple Mystic, and Pan Cyan.
I should have 5 jars, so I'll choose which strain to use again once I am sure how many jars are full.

Injecting will be done more carefully this time, so I don't use too much solution and waste it. Leftover solution is mandatory so I can make liquid culture soon from it.

Just stopped by to see how you are doing @Lady Cannafan

I haven't been able to do any shrooms lately, but things are looking up for Saturday night.
I was checking on the magic Honey today and everything is separated in levels. I plan on re-mixing it today.
The honey is definitely darker already.

Stay safe and grow well my friend,
Tok..
The price of Honey here is outrageous. Mom and I took a trip last week, and stopped at one of the Amish stores to get some supplies and the Honey prices there were almost 50% higher! I had a large jar of some here that had crystalized and solidified to the point that the bees could probably just continue their work on it. LOL Normally I can just set the jar in hot water and it would work, but this was solidified big time.
Enter the instant pot with yogurt function! I've had it in there a couple of hours and it is nicely liquid again.
Should be able to make some shroom honey starting tonight.

The price of Honey here is outrageous. Mom and I took a trip last week, and stopped at one of the Amish stores to get some supplies and the Honey prices there were almost 50% higher! I had a large jar of some here that had crystalized and solidified to the point that the bees could probably just continue their work on it. LOL Normally I can just set the jar in hot water and it would work, but this was solidified big time.
Enter the instant pot with yogurt function! I've had it in there a couple of hours and it is nicely liquid again.
Should be able to make some shroom honey starting tonight.
Mmmm 😋 mushie honey 🍯. CL🍀

It has been one busy azz morning. I got all of my jars inoculated, using my still air box for the whole process.
I have the jars on a towel covered seedling mat in my plant grow room, the jars are covered with tin foil caps and then with a box to keep them in the dark.
Hope this works out well.
I picked some really nice sized Blue Meanies this morning. As soon as those are dry, they are going into the honey.

I just spent over an hour looking all over this house to find a large bag of popcorn kernels I had purchased to try as spawn grain.
Everywhere.....some places three times because it would have been smart for me to put it there.

I finally found it. In the place that made the most perfect sense.....one of my pasta jars. Really??? What the "F" was I thinking? It doesn't look like pasta, it doesn't taste like pasta or cook like pasta......:rofl: :rofl:

{{sigh}} so many things waste my time. It's soaking on yogurt function in the instant pot now.

I ALWAYS underestimate how much swelling occurs when I've simmered that birdseed. I had planned on 4 or 5 jars, I wound up with 8. I had to drag out the 2nd instant pot max so I could process them. :laughtwo:
Now I have decisions to make on which jars get what. Which...I suppose isn't a bad thing. LOL
Same. Got 8 jars of popcorn dry, filled 2/3, processed in water, came up to fill about a dozen jars to the top. Who knew it'd only take one flush to get rid of the excess and confuse the sewer processing people, as corn ain't even in its season.

So, the corn is a stubborn one to get soft in the centers. I am not going to stand at a stove and simmer/boil this stuff forever. I don't have the time, and it uses up my precious expensive propane.
I'm trying something this morning. After boiling the corn in the instant pot max, and leaving it sit overnight, it's still pretty hard.
Now, I am going to use the "Rice" setting. This pressure cooks on low. We'll see if that makes a difference and saves time and resources.

Okay, the Instant Pot Max "Rice" setting worked! The minute I took off the top I smelled cooked corn. The outer shell is still hard, but insides are quite soft now.
I will let it sit in there now until room temperature and drain it.
If I'm using fresh hard kernels, I may have to do the process a couple of times. I'll see on the next run. Just be sure you have the water a couple of inches above the corn and mix it up before starting the cycle.

Sure saved some time and energy!

Okay, the Instant Pot Max "Rice" setting worked! The minute I took off the top I smelled cooked corn. The outer shell is still hard, but insides are quite soft now.
I will let it sit in there now until room temperature and drain it.
If I'm using fresh hard kernels, I may have to do the process a couple of times. I'll see on the next run. Just be sure you have the water a couple of inches above the corn and mix it up before starting the cycle.

Sure saved some time and energy!
And precious propane! I refuse to fill till April. Set thermostat 58 this whole winter. Almost made it!

Back
Top Bottom