LadyJane420's Hydro - The Purps - Grow Journal - 2013

Re: LadyJane420's Hydro "The Purps" Grow Journal-2013

Are you flushing them and not giving any nutes, in which case danklover is correct, but if you're giving them nutes they shouldn't be yellowing like that in hydro, even late in flower.

If you're still feeding nutes then you need to focus on the roots after your recent root rot. How are the roots doing? Have they recovered and is there new white growth, or are they still brown and slimy?

Your plants are showing sure signs of a deficiency, but if your roots are unhealthy then it will be because of this and the plant struggling to take up the nutes they need through sick roots. If this is the case then do not increase the amount of nutes you're giving. Focus on the roots. If these are sick, she isn't going to be able to take up what she needs
Because you're quite late in flower you'll still get some smoke, but it would be good to get her healthy for the last push as she fills the buds out.

if it is the yellowing of your leaves that you are concerned with i would slightly increase the amount of nitrogen you are feeding to your plants by increasing either the grow or micro nutrients.

Hi Green Knight,

I'm sure it's still the roots. Will be changing water on Sunday. Don't know what else to do other than clean them again (phew) or just use an aggressive amount of Dutch Master Zone. I will definitely focus on them at this point because I know that's the issue. Meanwhile I need to smoke another joint :smokin: it's great for hair pulling.

Have a great weekend.

It might be a pain and I know you said before you were restricted in opening the doors fully, but if you can then try and give the res etc a proper clean, getting everything out and using some mild bleach solution. Do another DM dip for the roots (soak them for a good 10-20 minutes) and keep running it at 6ml / 10l.

The thing we need to work out now is what's causing the root rot. There's one fundamental cause (not enough oxygen at the roots) and three possible things that contribute to this (or a combination of these):

- res temps too high reducing the nutrient solution's ability to hold O2 (and warmer temps also encourage bacterial growth, though the zone will prevent this)
- not enough enough O2 in the solution generally (do you have an air stone and pump so loads of O2 is getting in?)
- too much water / nutes to the root ball (shutting out the O2 as the roots and medium get over-saturated)

Looking at your system, are those drip feeds, and if so do you still have them running? I ran a similar system and found later on in the grow when I was running the top feeds things got a bit unhealthy because the top of the root ball gets very dense and you don't get enough O2 to it if the top feeds are running. Once the roots are in the res you don't need the top feeds and the plants much prefer it when the net pot isn't being continually bathed. The roots do fine being permanently submerged in aerated nutrient solution, and if you have an air stone the bubbles keep the net pot and root ball moist, but the top feed I've found overkills it and rot can set in at the dense top of the roots and water line, and then spread. So some other suggestions you could try after you've given things a clean again:

- turn off the top feeds, they're not needed now
- if you haven't already then get an air pump and put an air stone in the res (though I'm guessing your system has one of these anyway. You could put a second in if you can)
- if the res temps are getting too hot then try keeping them cool using bottles of frozen water

You're very late in flower now and probably not far off flush so to an extent it's about containment and preventing it from progressing, don't expect miracles. I wouldn't increase the nutes until the roots are recovering - I think the deficiency is a symptom because the roots can't take up what they need. At this stage I think it's about containing the rot and solving the root cause, run the nutes at the concentration they are (possibly even consider lowering the ppms slightly until the roots show sign signs of recovery). Hopefully things will recover a bit and she can take up some of what she needs before you flush. Shit time to happen though in terms of time to recover, but good in the sense it's late in the grow so you'll get some smoke and you can fix the cause ready for the next grow

Dear Green Knight,

Your instructions are superb and I will follow them best I can. I plan to fill the reservoir with the DMZ solution and try swishing the roots around that way. Then emptying the tank cleaning it out and switching the nutes.

This is my 2nd crop and the airstones are working perfectly which was the main issue with our 1st crop. I was surprised to see this happen again with as much oxygen that is running through the system. The ambient humidity is 50 and temp is 70. I've also heard of giving them an ice bath. I did that a few times last crop with ph bal ice cubes.

I'll clean out everything tomorrow and turn off the drip system. I tend to turn it off when the rockwool feels too moist but only been doing that recently.

I have a 3rd crop in seedling stage that I know will benefit from all this.

Thanks again for taking the time and patience to respond and have a great weekend!:Namaste:

Hello All

So this is what I've been doing today. I tried to follow the Green Knight's advice as best as I could. Because I can't open my cabinet door fully (bed's in the way and it's not the kind that can be moved easily of course) I had to improvise as best as I could. First I emptied out my reservoir then I poured in a solution of 25ml of Dutch Master Zone in 23 litres plain water into tank. It was suggested I "swish" the roots in the water but since I can't take the plants out I had to swish the water instead, so I used a small electric hand mixer in the water. I thought of that when I was stoned and it worked great. Then I drained the tank, and thoroughly cleaned everything with a mild bleach solution. Then put back in the nutes with 14ml of DMZ.

I'm not expecting any miracles here but this was another labor of love and has been a great lesson. I still plan to get decent smoke out of it - my last batch turned out better than what's at my dispensary I must say. So no worries, I love this plant partly because it teaches me something every day. And introduces me to some really cool people!

Onward! :allgood:

Thanks again everyone at :420: for being here and special thanks to the Green Knight. :circle-of-love:

Hello Everyone,

The reason I haven't been uploading any pictures lately of my beautiful girls is they have become very unhappy because of their root problems, now I'm dealing with gnats.
(Thank you to :420: for the information on Cannabis Plant and Pest Problems under the FAQs page). I'll probably show some pics at the end when I'm curing because I know I'll still get some decent smoke out of it. Don't want to discourage any newbies newbier than me but these things happen and it will make be a better grower.

On a lighter side went to the beach overnight with my husband and two dogs and we had a blast. Hope all of you are enjoying your day.

:Namaste:

Glad to hear from ya LJ, it's been a while. Hope everything works out for ya. +REPs for patience and persistence.

Hi LJ: That was a good joke about my socks!!! You're funny!! Despite the problem with your roots and those stupid knats, you did an excellent job growing those beautiful girls! My first seedling is now 16 days old since she popped out of the soil and 6" tall and so bushy that she looks like she's on steroids! :) I am using the word "she" because they are suppose to be fem seeds. The roots were popping out of the solo pot, so I transplanted it into a bigger 6" pot a couple of days ago. So now, I am thinking about what I will do next with her. I think that when she is about 12" inches tall in a few weeks, I will try to cut my first clones. Could you (or anyone reading this) give me some tips on that??? I also read somewhere that some growers use LST and bend the main stem of the plant a full 90 degree angle along the ground and tie it down with a string. They say that this, along with topping the plant first, gives the "side sprouts" a chance to grow straight-up so the plant looks like it has a bunch of "tops". This sounds good in theory, but should I try it after I cut my clones, first???? Any advice from anyone on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, believe it or not, I also have 2 other seedlings 10 days old and about 2" tall. These 2 look healthy, but seem to be growing slower and have some deformed leaves. :-( I am hoping that once they form another node of leaves they should be fine. I went through 11 seeds to get these 3 to finally grow. I learned a lot about lighting, germinating, watering, nutrients, water ph, temperature, humidity, soil types and so much more. I also learned that some seeds just will not grow no matter what you do. I plan to take care of these 3 plants and see what happens before I open my NEW batch of 10 more fem seeds from another seed bank. Thanks to all that gave me some tips to get this far! Thank you!

On my lighter side of things, me and my GF will be going out for a nice dinner to enjoy this cool Friday night. After that, we will turn on the tube and watch the Red Sox hopefully beat the crap out of the Yankees!

Happy Friday to All!

Hi LJ: That was a good joke about my socks!!! You're funny!! Despite the problem with your roots and those stupid knats, you did an excellent job growing those beautiful girls! My first seedling is now 16 days old since she popped out of the soil and 6" tall and so bushy that she looks like she's on steroids! :) I am using the word "she" because they are suppose to be fem seeds. The roots were popping out of the solo pot, so I transplanted it into a bigger 6" pot a couple of days ago. So now, I am thinking about what I will do next with her. I think that when she is about 12" inches tall in a few weeks, I will try to cut my first clones. Could you (or anyone reading this) give me some tips on that??? I also read somewhere that some growers use LST and bend the main stem of the plant a full 90 degree angle along the ground and tie it down with a string. They say that this, along with topping the plant first, gives the "side sprouts" a chance to grow straight-up so the plant looks like it has a bunch of "tops". This sounds good in theory, but should I try it after I cut my clones, first???? Any advice from anyone on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, believe it or not, I also have 2 other seedlings 10 days old and about 2" tall. These 2 look healthy, but seem to be growing slower and have some deformed leaves. :-( I am hoping that once they form another node of leaves they should be fine. I went through 11 seeds to get these 3 to finally grow. I learned a lot about lighting, germinating, watering, nutrients, water ph, temperature, humidity, soil types and so much more. I also learned that some seeds just will not grow no matter what you do. I plan to take care of these 3 plants and see what happens before I open my NEW batch of 10 more fem seeds from another seed bank. Thanks to all that gave me some tips to get this far! Thank you!

On my lighter side of things, me and my GF will be going out for a nice dinner to enjoy this cool Friday night. After that, we will turn on the tube and watch the Red Sox hopefully beat the crap out of the Yankees!

Happy Friday to All!
Happy Friedday RollingPapers. I would either do the LST and give a couple days of rest before cutting clones or vice verse. you will like LSTing just do it gradually so you dont snap anything:)

Hi Fish Cake, Thanks for your comment! My biggest seedling is now 16 days old and 6" tall, is that too soon for starting the LST, I never did it before. Actually, I never did any of this stuff before. LOL. It sounds like you did it before. Do you have any pics so I can get a real "show and tell" education? Thanks.

You can but be very careful because you can rip the the roots clean out of the soil by pulling on it. as a matter of fact I would wait until you get the fourth set of true leaves before you do it. and then tug on a bit of upper growth and see where she will bend. take your string and tie it high up then pull it down just a little everyday till you are where you want it to be.
here is some pics of a LST I have done
SAM_06242.JPG
DSC020893.JPG
DSC020876.JPG
SAM_02001.JPG
SAM_0621.JPG
SAM_06141.JPG
Hi Fish Cake, Thanks for your comment! My biggest seedling is now 16 days old and 6" tall, is that too soon for starting the LST, I never did it before. Actually, I never did any of this stuff before. LOL. It sounds like you did it before. Do you have any pics so I can get a real "show and tell" education? Thanks.

My first seedling is now 16 days old since she popped out of the soil and 6" tall and so bushy that she looks like she's on steroids! :) I am using the word "she" because they are suppose to be fem seeds. The roots were popping out of the solo pot, so I transplanted it into a bigger 6" pot a couple of days ago. So now, I am thinking about what I will do next with her. I think that when she is about 12" inches tall in a few weeks, I will try to cut my first clones. Could you (or anyone reading this) give me some tips on that??? I also read somewhere that some growers use LST and bend the main stem of the plant a full 90 degree angle along the ground and tie it down with a string. They say that this, along with topping the plant first, gives the "side sprouts" a chance to grow straight-up so the plant looks like it has a bunch of "tops". This sounds good in theory, but should I try it after I cut my clones, first???? Any advice from anyone on this topic would be greatly appreciated!!!

On my lighter side of things, me and my GF will be going out for a nice dinner to enjoy this cool Friday night. After that, we will turn on the tube and watch the Red Sox hopefully beat the crap out of the Yankees.

What can I say to you RP other than congratulations I'm very happy for you. It does take time and patience and it sounds like you've taken the time to get the most from this site. In terms of cloning I wasn't going to try a Mother until my last batch of seeds which will be next go round in about 8 weeks.

On a lighter note, I live in Oregon but I'm a native New Yorker but I'll forgive you about the Yankees!:goodjob:

Always a pleasure hearing from you R.P.:laughtwo:

Hi again Fish Cake:
Wow! Thanks a million. Those pics are sure worth a thousand words! My plant actually looks just like your pic that is 2 pics up from this comment. Some of my fan leaves are almost half the size of the entire plant. They are huge. I think that I will wait one more week before doing any LST because my plant is only 16 days old and I transplanted to a 6" pot yesterday. At this point, I think that I should have transplanted into a 12" pot because of all the tieing down that I will be doing. Oh well, I don't want to shock my plant again and re-transplant it into a bigger pot now. However, the next one will be transplanted into a 12" pot because I now know a little bit more about what I am doing.

I hope that you don't mind if I ask you a few more questions. I forgot to ask you about topping. Should I top my plant about 1 week after the transplant, and then give a week to recover, and then start the LST, and then when the "side sprouts" start to grow taller, do my cloning? Does that sound like a good plan? I was thinking about letting the 5th or 6th node grow a little bit and using that as a clone. Is that a good idea?

Thanks Fish Cake, you're a great help!

Hey LJ..You know, I thought I would be safe with the Yankee comment because I noticed that your location was Oregon and I never dreamed that you were a New York native. Well, well, I guess I have egg on my face, now!! That is funny :) Nice to hear from you and have a hit on your bong for me!

RP I would transplant to the biggest pot you have 12":thumb: its best not to mess with the roots as little as possible. Then wait a week for all to settle in before you molest her any more.
then you can top her and do it again after she gets her footing. I hope that helps

Comment about laying it down parallel to the ground. That sounds like a like super cropping method where the grower gently but firmly squeezes the stem until the inner stem bursts a little bit, then tie it down. I did a small sample on my plant to get accustomed to the technique and it does recover nicely with a stronger point in it's branch. To lay it down would promote side growth off the highest side, but then you'd be sacrificing the other side, and maybe the perpendicular sides as well. I like topping as it gives me the ability to predict the structure of the plant. If I'm willing to extend veg time a bit, I can create my own bush which really makes growing fun. This also guarantees me that every time I top a branch, I will get 2 branches to replace it. As of now, my plant is slated to go into flower with 17 possible flowering tops. I am having a little bit of difficulty with 2 mid height branches that I topped producing 2 each of their own, but through a little LST, I am able to open the plant up and expose more light to those troubled spots with hopes that these branches stretch out to where they can fend for themselves. I plan to go to flower in about a week, maybe 2 and I want all 17 sites to have a good chance of getting some light.

Hi Sky, Thanks for the info! I think what I really want to do is exactly what you said, "through a little LST, I am able to open the plant up and expose more light to those troubled spots with hopes that these branches stretch out to where they can fend for themselves".
As a result, I think that I have to become a LST expert. When you topped your plants, did you use the cuttings for a clone??? I think that in a couple of weeks I will start my topping, wait a few days for recovery and then start using some LST. I want this plant to be my mother plant, so I'm really just trying to get some nice clones out of it. Then, I will do the same thing to the clones and put the clones in my flowering chamber. Atleast, that the plan!! By the way, how are my 5 seedlings doing and you 4 new clones??? Have a great Friday!

RP, this will be my final reply b/c this is Lady Jane's journal and the main focal point should be her grow. Though I believe she wouldn't mind, the purpose of a journal is to log information into easily retrievable data which could get buried in other cross talk. I will drop an answer in your journal or another thread you started.

Back
Top Bottom