LKABudMan Grows A Green Crack Auto In The VIVOSUN Smart Grow System - Sponsored by VIVOSUN

I get this a lot in my RDWC tent. That's why I defoliate and that's why I've been putting up with the windburn from the floor fan. Otherwise, all the leaves in the middle are wet to the touch.
That wind burn. I've been looking at plants for a while and I couldn't tell you what windburn is. Have you actually had it? I hear of it all the time and watch for it but never have I seen it. I want to say it's an imaginary thing but it's so common to hear I just don't.

The trick is to know that you really did do something horribly wrong to make it happen. Then they're good seeds.
When they up and decide to herm on their own, then they're ng to me.
Good to know.

I kept some of the seeds. I’ll piff them.

That wind burn. I've been looking at plants for a while and I couldn't tell you what windburn is. Have you actually had it? I hear of it all the time and watch for it but never have I seen it. I want to say it's an imaginary thing but it's so common to hear I just don't.
I do get windburn in my RDWC tent. The floor fan blows vertically from bottom-right to top-left. Any leaves in it's path turn brown, shrivel up and fall off. I leave them on as long as possible because if you remove them, it just starts on the leaf behind it. I'm hoping the new Vivosun oscillating floor fan will solve that.

I usually get the wind burn on the outer edge and it's most concentrated directly in front of the box fan that's running hard. I've never noticed the burn from the high mounted fan that's blowing down. It's also farther away from the tops of the plant whereas the box fan is about 1.5' away.
I don't think I've ever taken a picture of it. I know what it is, and I just make my ocd arse leave it alone. :rolleyes:

Hi Keffka. On my first grow, I did some experimentation with Govee RH sensors around the plants. I saw that without good airflow on the plants themselves, the plants create their own little microclimates and can be 10-15% higher in RH than the tent. Since then I've always had fans blowing directly on my plants. I also noticed that the bottom and top of the tent could be 5-10f different. Unfortunately, in the RDWC tent the only way to fix that is to blow THROUGH the plants.

I usually have a couple of canopy fans blowing on the tops, along with a floor fan or two blowing up diagonally through the canopy. The floor fan always left a trail of wind-burnt leaves because it stayed in one place (before new fan). The canopy fans oscillate and don't cause any problems, except some little marks where leaves rub together.

I've read where these plants are reactive to wind, as usually the wind-side plants are more prone to pollination. I know the wind helps keep bugs off the plant and helps prevent powdery mildew. It also helps build stronger stems in veg.

I LOVE the @VIVOSUN fans I have now. Not only do all of the fans oscillate, they are also in 'Natural Wind' mode. This means the speed goes up and down to simulate natural wind, rather than staying a static speed. With both of these, I feel very comfortable having the fans blow directly on the plants without stressing them.

That said, I'd love to hear some other opinions about this. Anyone else point their fans directly on their plants?
Sounds logical to me but I couldn’t say one way or another. CL🍀

I rotate my plants all the time. I figure whatever the fans might do won't have time to get done! :Rasta:

The Vivosun Auto Oasis
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

VIVOSUN 32x60x80 tent equipped with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System (SGS) ** Currently set to -Flower- Mode
- AeroLight* - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
- 00:00-04:00 OFF
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Flowering, Intensity:100%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (14", 35DLI)
- Circulation Fan*
- 00:00-4:00 - 100%
- 04:00-24:00 - Natural (Mimics natural wind)
- AeroZesh* - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
- 00:00-04:00 High 76F / 55% RH, default off
- 04:00-24:00 High 80F / 60% RH, default off
- Growhub 42A* - Mounted on front of tent and controls all tent equipment simultaneously, except:
- AeroLight SE with GrowHub E25 - Second AeroLight with separate control ** Currently set to -Seedling- Mode
** All controlled on my smartphone through the VIVOSUN App
Other Equipment:
Vivosun AeroWave E6 oscillating grow tent fan - Plugged into GrowHub using Circulation settings
Vivosun Air Circulator Fan with Remote - Oscillating horizontally and vertically, on 'Natural Breeze' mode.

Emmy (FastBuds Green Crack Auto)
Medium - 5 gallon SIP bucket with FFHF soil​

Mar 23 2023 *** Drought Day# 3 ***

I got the idea to start weighing Emmy this morning. She weighed 25.8lbs / 11.7kg. I'll continue to weigh her through the drought. This should give me a good feeling of how much she's still sucking from the soil daily, and when the soil has no more to give.

I also backed the light up two clicks to start reducing the DLI and the heat in her last week or two. I'll back it up a click or two a day (if I remember) going down to around 35DLI.

Mar 25 2023 *** Drought Day# 5 ***

I backed the light up a couple more clicks. It's reading around 35dli across the canopy, which is where I'll leave her until the end.

I'm seeing the weight go down about 1kg/day, which means she is still drinking.

Her lower leaves are starting to go limp and shrivel up. I expect to see that same thing move to the middle, then finally to the upper leaves.

So far, no rescue drinks for Emmy. I know she's still drinking and she still has lots of leaves to use up. She's still throwing nanners and I'm going to leave them alone. Gina is the only other plant I have right now and she's not looking great. She's small and looks to be starting flower. This might be the perfect time for a little pollen thrown around in the @VIVOSUN Auto Oasis ;)

As for this lady, she won't be around long enough to grow many seeds. She's appears to be ripening quickly, as most of her pistils have turned brown and crinkled and her calyx swell up. She's swelling up and putting on a lot of weight, too. Very few white pistils remain. I'll continue the drought as long as possible, then she's coming down.

#VIVOSUN #SmartGrowSystem #LoveWhatYouGrow

I forgot to drop these yesterday.. @StoneOtter this is what wind burn looks like once it’s begun progressing, it’s an odd clawing shape. The only other thing that I’ve found that looks similar is lack of light, and some times P or K depending on which way it curls, however I’ve found this clawing can almost always be traced to my fans.

996C5EE7-4666-4F77-B518-F54881FCA82C.jpeg
F705E6F3-DAEF-4AF0-AF3F-7D6C8ABFE666.jpeg

So basically the consensus on direct airflow is, it’s okay, even beneficial in a lot situations, as long as it’s not a constant on the leaves. Oscillation and shifting speeds should help alleviate the stress of it while helping the plant strengthen itself, ward off issues such as PM and bud rot, and create a bit of resilience.

I’m gonna look into the @VIVOSUN fans and see what they’ve got. Thanks for letting me take up a little space in your journal @LKABudMan

I forgot to drop these yesterday.. @StoneOtter this is what wind burn looks like once it’s begun progressing, it’s an odd clawing shape. The only other thing that I’ve found that looks similar is lack of light, and some times P or K depending on which way it curls, however I’ve found this clawing can almost always be traced to my fans.
Thanks Keffka! I may have seen this before. I'll keep an eye peeled for it! Fans are on high all the time in flower! That Vivosun with pulsing on/off is a cool one I don't have yet!

The Vivosun Auto Oasis
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

VIVOSUN 32x60x80 tent equipped with the VIVOSUN Smart Grow System (SGS) ** Currently set to -Flower- Mode
- AeroLight* - The world’s first 100W LED grow light with an integrated circulatory fan
- 04:00-24:00 Spectrum:Flowering, Intensity:100%, Sunrise/Sunset: YES (14", 35DLI)
- Circulation Fan*
- AeroZesh* - 4" Ultra powerful automated exhaust fully programmable through the GrowHub
- Growhub 42A* - Mounted on front of tent and controls all tent equipment simultaneously, except:
- AeroLight SE with GrowHub E25 - Second AeroLight with separate control ** Currently set to -Vegetative- Mode
Other Equipment:
Vivosun AeroWave E6 oscillating grow tent fan - Plugged into GrowHub using Circulation settings
Vivosun Air Circulator Fan with Remote - Oscillating horizontally and vertically, on 'Natural Breeze' mode.

Medium - 5 gallon SIP bucket with FFHF soil

Mar 26 2023 *** Drought Day# 6 ***
Emmy looks pretty rough this morning. She was down to 20lbs, so I sprayed about 300ml across the top of the rocks, giving her a little bit of moisture.

I took a peak at her trics and I'm seeing some cloudy, some amber, but still a lof of clears. They all looked pretty packed in there, and really long! I'm hoping to see more cloudy by the end of the drought.

Mar 27 2023 *** Drought Day# 7 ***
Emmy is completely out of water. It looks like 20lbs (9.5kg) is her base, because she won't go below there. The last two days she has really taken a beating, so I gave her 1L of water across the top this morning.

As she runs out of water, she stops respiring. And as she stops respiring, the RH in the tent drops. You can see by the RH readings when she ran out of water.

She looks awful and beautiful at the same time. Most of her outside leaves are drooping and shrivelling up, from top to bottom. That makes her buds show more, though, with all those swollen calyx. I noticed that her inside leaves are still nice and green so she's not done yet.

I'll keep the rescue drinks up daily, trying to get her through a full 11 day drought. Just a few more days and she'll get a full res again!

That makes her buds show more, though, with all those swollen calyx.

I was going to comment on how budded she looks, it’s really appealing. Even from a distance you can see the swollen calyxes, very nice!

I was going to comment on how budded she looks, it’s really appealing. Even from a distance you can see the swollen calyxes, very nice!
Hopefully it's not all seeds ;) What a difference a week makes, especially when droughting:
Seven days of drought.png

The Vivosun Auto Oasis
Sponsored by VIVOSUN

- Circulation Fan*
- AeroLight SE with GrowHub E25 - Second AeroLight with separate control ** Currently set to -Vegetative- Mode
Other Equipment:

Medium - 5 gallon SIP bucket with FFHF soil

Mar 28 2023 *** Drought Day# 8 ***

Wow, Emmy is a real drama queen. In the last couple of days she's really showed her displeasure with this drought.

I gave her 1 liter yesterday across the top and I can still feel some of it at the top when I lift her. Today I gave her 500ml in her res (bottom). That should last her for a day or two, and possibly get her to the 11 day finish line. It may look like she's just about dead, but there's still plenty of green in there waiting for the next watering. Once the drought is finished, I'll strip off the dead leaves and let that green get some light.

Back
Top Bottom