LKABudMan Grows In Soil: White Widow, Hindu Kush, & Purple Haze Fem Photos, FFHF Soil, Sponsored By Prescription Blend

@PlanetJ I don't think I am ready to go there. I am content with growing a couple of plants for myself and my family. Growing these plants helps me deal with my anxiety and stress almost as much as when they are harvested ;)

ps. I am looking forward to going back to hydro... with a new RDWC system :)

Happy Growing.

Those plants are obviously loving life, Budman! Great job.

And congrats on your well-deserved nomination to win a T-Shirt! :Rasta:

Thanks @Grand Daddy Black I still give a lot of the credit to @Prescription Blend I will have to admit that the new programmable exhaust fan has allowed me to dial in the VPD much better too. Good nutes, good VPD and good light and then let the plants take care of the rest :)

@PlanetJ I don't think I am ready to go there. I am content with growing a couple of plants for myself and my family. Growing these plants helps me deal with my anxiety and stress almost as much as when they are harvested ;)

ps. I am looking forward to going back to hydro... with a new RDWC system :)

Happy Growing.
Just take a look at the pricing on concentrates and hash, and realize thats your trim and some equipment. If it's legal to do, it's maybe a nice side-gig from what otherwise is a way too large supply of cake or thrown away.

Just take a look at the pricing on concentrates and hash, and realize thats your trim and some equipment. If it's legal to do, it's maybe a nice side-gig from what otherwise is a way too large supply of cake or thrown away.
Well @PlanetJ the laws in Virginia are still pretty new. Right now there is no way to legally sell anything. But I already have everything to make the hash and am looking to make concentrates. Not to mention the fudge and gummies I make. I guess you never know what the future will bring...

Well @PlanetJ the laws in Virginia are still pretty new. Right now there is no way to legally sell anything. But I already have everything to make the hash and am looking to make concentrates. Not to mention the fudge and gummies I make. I guess you never know what the future will bring...
Familiar with dry ice? If not, search on the tubes for dry ice hash .. it's not the same quality as bubble hash, but is 1000x faster and you can filter after the shake.

Familiar with dry ice? If not, search on the tubes for dry ice hash .. it's not the same quality as bubble hash, but is 1000x faster and you can filter after the shake.
I have access to a freeze dryer to use for the bubble hash :)

I have access to a freeze dryer to use for the bubble hash :)
how does that work? You still have to swirl stuff in water and make a mess, right?

dry ice method: take your trash bag (220 micron) fill it to 1/4 with trim, scoop some dry ice in there, and shake for like 30 seconds to a minute above a collection tray. With a large 220 micron bag, you can process kilos in minutes.

how does that work? You still have to swirl stuff in water and make a mess, right?

dry ice method: take your trash bag (220 micron) fill it to 1/4 with trim, scoop some dry ice in there, and shake for like 30 seconds to a minute above a collection tray. With a large 220 micron bag, you can process kilos in minutes.
That does sound easy. Of course I would need kilos to process ;) Right now I have a couple of storage bags from my last harvest in the freezer. After the next harvest I will try my hand at hash making!

Date: 2/18/22 - Day 26 of Flower
Strains - Hindu Kush (Abby), Purple Haze (Jenny), and White Widow (Betty) - All fem and photo
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 100% 14 Inches away - 50-60k LUX (up to 1000PPFD)
Medium - Fox Farms Happy Frog & Ocean Forest + 10% perlite in 5gal cloth pots
Nutrients - @Prescription Blend
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2 Small oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Weekly Temperatures

When I first started growing I placed a Govee thermometer/hygrometer in my basement. This was in September and the basement was not really used for much at that time. It read about 65f and 60% humidity and I have been tracking it ever since. During my first grow, I used a dehumidifier to lower the RH of the basement as the grow progressed, slowing going down to about 40%. Well, until the power went out and I had to harvest ;)

This grow has been different. The basement started at 40% RH and has not changed much. Mostly because the heat in the house is on and there is a vent in the basement. With the heat blowing warm/dry air the basement RH is staying low. I bought a exhaust fan to control the humidity in the tent and it is working great, only coming on when the moisture in the tent is too high. That way I have been able to keep the VPD in the tent correct with 40% RH in the basement. And, I have not had to use a dehumidifier in the basement.

That works great when it is cold outside. Being in Virginia we have warm spells throughout the winter. The past three days have been in the 60s. That means the heat has not been running and the RH builds up in the basement. Last night the RH climbed to 55% in the basement and the exhaust fan was trying to keep the RH in the tent under 55%. As you can imagine it did not work well. The exhaust was on high all night and the RH did not change. Not a big deal but I will need to hook up the dehumidifier and set it for 50%RH. Of course it will be cold tonight so it's really for the next warm spell. You can see on this chart where we have had warm spells throughout this grow (you can also see the morning the heat went out and I had to remove a wasp nest from the intake).

The plants are doing GREAT! They are all stretching and building and getting frosty. This is both my favorite time and least favorite. I love to watch the buds build and get bigger and heavier. That said, there is really nothing to do. At this point, I will keep giving them their @Prescription Blend when they need it and make sure they get all the light they can handle. Other than that it is really up to them ;)

Abby (Hindu Kush) is really building into something special. Her buds are so long and wrapped in pistils. At this point I just need to hope she doesn't get too much taller than the others.

Jenny (Purple Haze) is stretching a lot more now. When I was playing with her the other day i discovered she has a sweet berry smell. No purple yet but I am really looking forward to seeing and smelling her later in flower.

Betty (White Widow) is a little girl compared to the others. She is still stretching but not nearly as much. It looks like a lot of energy is going to the fasciated bud but who knows. I am going to leave her be and see what happens.

Finishing up the third week of flower and everything is running smoothly. I am hoping it stays that way while I start the next grow!

Happy Growing.

Date: 2/21/22 - Day 29 of Flower
Strains - Hindu Kush (Abby), Purple Haze (Jenny), and White Widow (Betty) - All fem and photo
Light height and reading - 400w LED @ 100% 14 Inches away - 50-60k LUX (up to 1000PPFD)
Medium - Fox Farms Happy Frog & Ocean Forest + 10% perlite in 5gal cloth pots
Nutrients - @Prescription Blend
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Weekly Temperatures

It's the start of week# 4 of flower and the ladies are stacking and frosting and looking great. And now we are in the 'boring' part of the grow (knock on wood!) All of the defoliation and most of the training is done. If needed I will supercrop or LST any buds that get too high so that I can keep the light even but that is rare. It may be boring but I could still sit here and watch these buds all day :yummy:

It's too easy to go on auto-pilot at this point of the grow. This is what I need to concentrate on to keep these ladies on point:

- Keep the VPD correct for the stage in flower. Through veg I tried to keep the VPD in the .8 - 1.2 range, shooting for a VPD of 1.0. This usually meant temps in the low 80s and humidity in the 60s. Starting the fourth week in flower I will start trying to move the VPD down from 1.2 to 1.6 by the end of flower. This means lowering the temperatures slightly to the mid to high 70s and the humidity down into the 50s and then down to the 40s. I will try to slowly lower the humidity through the end of the grow to lower chances of powdery mildew or bud rot.

- Keep the light as close to 1000 PPFD (65k LUX) as possible. For me that means keeping the light about 12" from the canopy and keeping the canopy as even as possible. Right now it is 14" from the tallest bud and I am still getting some stretch from the plants. I'll keep checking the light daily for the next week or so to make sure the plants do not get too close and get it down to 12".

- Keep the plants watered and fed. Right now I am watering every 4 days with a full dose of @Prescription Blend. When I went into the tent on Sunday to water I noticed that Abby was really dry and droopy. Jenny and Betty still looked OK but definitely needed water. I feel I need to start watering more frequently through the end of the grow.

That brings me to my two questions about watering in soil during mid/late flower.

1. Should I keep letting the plants go through the dry cycle all through flower? I understand the dry cycle is needed for root growth in veg. How dry should I be letting the plants get in flower? I can tell that they explode in growth after a watering/feeding but they also slow down/lag in growth right before a watering. Should I be watering every 2-3 days instead of every 4 to keep them from going limp and droopy and to keep them going strong?

2. Should I continue feeding @Prescription Blend with every watering" I hear advice to use plain water every other feeding and that would save some nutes and make it easier to water not having to mix nutes every time. However, right now these girls are lush and green and not showing any signs of nutrient deficiencies or toxocity. Why would I change something that is working so well?

@Emilya and @Prescription Blend I would love to get your thoughts on the above two questions :) Everyone else, how do you water in mid/late flower when growing in soil?

My plan right now is to move feedings to every three days. Of course we'll see how the plants feel about that ;) Hope everyone has a great week!

Happy Growing

I love catching up here because I like to read. It's so interesting to me how everyone grows the way they grow. I enjoy the informational breakdowns of this journal. I don't really use any useful info so I never add it to my journals cause I just don't have it to add :rofl:

You know I need my soil so that too, keeps my attention here, I'm always learning something new. I appreciate that :thanks:

Jenny is my favorite although I am a sucker for Forrest Gump :passitleft:

Thanks @Krissi1982 Ever since I started cloning Jenny I keep hearing Forest Gump say "We got a whole bunch of boats. Twelve Jennies...".:laugh::laugh:
:rofl::rofl: Me and Jenny was like peas and carrots again

The boats though...poor Bubba...Bubba nooooo! Omg always gets me but then it's
Lut. Dan I got you some ice cream :rofl:

What a movie and what a pretty plant in Jenny

1. Should I keep letting the plants go through the dry cycle all through flower? I understand the dry cycle is needed for root growth in veg. How dry should I be letting the plants get in flower? I can tell that they explode in growth after a watering/feeding but they also slow down/lag in growth right before a watering. Should I be watering every 2-3 days instead of every 4 to keep them from going limp and droopy and to keep them going strong?

2. Should I continue feeding @Prescription Blend with every watering" I hear advice to use plain water every other feeding and that would save some nutes and make it easier to water not having to mix nutes every time. However, right now these girls are lush and green and not showing any signs of nutrient deficiencies or toxocity. Why would I change something that is working so well?

@Emilya and @Prescription Blend I would love to get your thoughts on the above two questions :) Everyone else, how do you water in mid/late flower when growing in soil?
As soon as stretch ends in the beginning of flower, I start pushing water at my plants. In veg I starved them for water, enticing the roots to grow to find every last drop in the container. In flower I change that strategy and try to now USE those roots that I so carefully developed early on. Typically I will shave one whole day off of the wet/dry cycle I had established in veg, and I start pushing water on the plants a day early. This is essentially keeping the soil a bit moist between waterings, not dry as I would in veg.

Soil is designed to be able to capture a large amount of nutrient ions when you feed. This captured nutrient is designed to be used on a water only pass the next time. This is why soil feedings are so much stronger than a hydro type operation, because you are essentially feeding twice when you do feed. The water only pass not only re-mobilizes those nutes for the plants to take up, but this process also cleans the soil of leftover nutrients for the next feeding pass. If you are feeding every time, a certain amount of your nutrients are not able to be used up by the plants and the soil dutifully will store those nutrients for later as it is designed to do. Over time, just the excess nutrients will be stored in the soil and this can cause a lockout to occur, forcing you to have to flush to reset the system and start over. Feed/water/feed/water in soil... that is how it has been done for centuries.

Back
Top Bottom