Masonman's - Hi-Brix - Jock Horror - 2016

I've been following along, Mason, but I'm not sure about the transplant conditions. :hmmmm:

For instance, how wet were each of the pots? What soil did you use for the big pot - new, old, etc? And I'm sure you did but it's worth asking - you scored and dusted the roots, yes?

Going from 2 gallons into ... 20?(forgot) is a bit of a leap, so it's important to have the soil conditions right. It'll be fine - I'd just like to see if we can figure out what went wrong in the first place. We should get Duggans attention, too - he does those big upcans as a habit.

I did two transplants about 12 hours apart. Both used new soil. Both plants were slightly wilted needing water at time of transplant. Mine into a 20 gallon, and I gifted the second to a friend into a 10 gallon pot. My friend's looks beautiful. Never skipped a beat.

For both I did the standard procedure. Made a "mold of the pot" in the new soil. Dusted hole with Roots, scored the root ball.

Both got exactly one gallon of water with 5-7 ML Transplant and .4ML Tea down the top and around the root ball.

I purposely only gave one gallon to mine in the 20 gallon because last time I gave her 4 gallons, and it took 3 weeks for her to come close to drying out. I thought this time the one gallon would be enough to keep her happy for 4-5 days, then I would start to increase the amount of water depending on when she told me she was actually using it.

I also thought I would feed her less. If she was transplanted to a 7 gallon pot, she would have gotten 5-7 ML of drench, so this is what I planned on giving her at feedings until she asked for more. Last run, I was feeding based on the size of the pot. 15 - 20 ML Drench 1.5 - 2 ML Tea as soon as she was transplanted. It appears the soil became salty from over-feeding. When I did an autopsy of the root ball after harvest, it was clear she didn't use half the soil in the pot. I didn't see but a couple roots that extended to the edges of the pot.

To make a long story short, I went from one extreme to another. I wanted to start with light water and food and let her tell me she wants more.

Duggan suggested she needed an additional 2 gallons of water. So, 4 days after transplant, I gave it to her and there was no change to her posture.

I'm wondering if humidity was screwing with her transpiration rate. I'll need to get an analog hydrometer to verify my wireless unit is reading correctly. All this week, the temps have been 78F - 45-48%RH which is a little low for veg. I'd rather it be around 60%RH, but the AC has been kicking ass due to the heat outside.

I have every confidence she will rebound just fine. I just need to start ordering Transplant by the gallon though. Rescue drenches eat up quite a bit of product... lol

Well, here's my theory:

The rootball was fairly dry when it went into new soil, so it had surface tension on the edges and didn't wick well (you know how water just runs down the sides of a dry pot). I forgot to ask how wet the new soil was - if my thinking is right, the new soil was fairly dry, too? Not "dry" but not very wet? I've only encountered this a couple times myself, but I've had it happen. I think the outer layer of the old soil got a little impermeable from being dry and the new soil didn't wick well either, so you ended up with a dry layer between the two soils. The roots hit that dryish, non-wicking layer, with plenty of moisture within it after the gallon of water down the center, and the plant decided it was waterlogged within a container made of a layer of dry soil. Make sense? :hmmmm: I bet if you pulled it out, you'd still see the same roots circling around the old rootball, without having invaded the new soil very much.

As you found out, if you soak the big 20 gallon pot, it takes forever to dry out with just a little two gallon plant in it. Your instincts were correct, but next time try moistening the new soil before you upcan into it. Get it wet and crumble and mix it up by hand until it's the consistency you like, then upcan into the perfectly moist soil. :slide:

:Namaste:

Well, here's my theory:

The rootball was fairly dry when it went into new soil, so it had surface tension on the edges and didn't wick well (you know how water just runs down the sides of a dry pot). I forgot to ask how wet the new soil was - if my thinking is right, the new soil was fairly dry, too? Not "dry" but not very wet? I've only encountered this a couple times myself, but I've had it happen. I think the outer layer of the old soil got a little impermeable from being dry and the new soil didn't wick well either, so you ended up with a dry layer between the two soils. The roots hit that dryish, non-wicking layer, with plenty of moisture within it after the gallon of water down the center, and the plant decided it was waterlogged within a container made of a layer of dry soil. Make sense? :hmmmm: I bet if you pulled it out, you'd still see the same roots circling around the old rootball, without having invaded the new soil very much.

As you found out, if you soak the big 20 gallon pot, it takes forever to dry out with just a little two gallon plant in it. Your instincts were correct, but next time try moistening the new soil before you upcan into it. Get it wet and crumble and mix it up by hand until it's the consistency you like, then upcan into the perfectly moist soil. :slide:

:Namaste:

It makes sense. I guess adding 2 more gallons of water didn't help... lol

The new soil was at a nice "cooking" consistency. Little condensation on the inside of the tote.

I like the idea of pre-watering the new soil first.

Luckily it didn't happen to the plant I gifted... that would have been embarrassing lol!

It makes sense. I guess adding 2 more gallons of water didn't help... lol

The new soil was at a nice "cooking" consistency. Little condensation on the inside of the tote.

I like the idea of pre-watering the new soil first.

Luckily it didn't happen to the plant I gifted... that would have been embarrassing lol!

Pre-water...good idea. I get the same effect by dribbling a half gallon on the top and filling up the saucer and letting it wick. Same destination, slightly different route.

Pre-water...good idea. I get the same effect by dribbling a half gallon on the top and filling up the saucer and letting it wick. Same destination, slightly different route.

I wish I could bottom feed in flower. The biggest saucer I can fit in my cabinet barley fits my pot... lol It's sole function is to water proof the floor. If I over water, I'm in trouble, cause I cannot get a shop vac in there to suck up the runoff.

I really appreciate the attention you all have been giving me. I know in my heart she's gonna be just fine. But, it was really bothering me not knowing what I did wrong.

I was under the impression that transplant was supposed to be wet on wet. Not soaking wet but moist. Is that correct Doc?

Well, I have a tutorial of how I do it on the first few pages of "In the Lab" the thread that has the directions.

The soil is moist out of the barrel. The rootball is usually pretty dry. I put the dry rootball into the moist soil and then water from the top and bottom. The usually survive the process without too much damage.

So I was doing it wrong by having the smaller pot be a little moist? I still covered it in roots and the roots in the hole. I will try it your way next time. How dry do you let your plant get before transplant? Thanks doc.

You didn't do anything wrong. There's nothing wrong with having it a little moist at all. You're gonna water it regardless.

I prefer to transplant from veg to bloom when the container is dry and in need of a good soak. The reason for this is simply because the rootball is easier to score and I don't lose soil as it's all stuck together like a big sponge.

Day 142 Harvest

The big day finally came Friday. :cheer:

3 hours of screwing around and the buds were washed and hung to dry.

770 grams wet, so I guessing around 5 - 5.5 ounces dry. Not bad at all for a first run.

After inspecting the root ball, I learned the pot was way too big for the size of the plant. Of course, I was hoping for a bigger plant... lol I don't think I could ever grow a plant big enough in my cabinet to really take advantage of a pot so big.

I was over-feeding the plant. I assumed double if not triple a 7 gallon pot feeding since I was in a 20 gallon pot. There is no way the plant was using that much food.

Doc, you suggested maybe my soil became salty and flat towards the end. Maybe over-feeding was the cause of the stress my leaves showed?

OK... here are the pics

7-15_2_.jpg
7-15_3_.jpg
7-15_4_.jpg
7-15_5_.jpg
7-15_6_.jpg
7-15_7_.jpg
7-15_8_.jpg
7-15_9_.jpg
7-15_1_.jpg
7-15_10_.jpg
7-15_11_.jpg
7-15_12_.jpg
why did you dip your buds in water ?

High there. What he did is called bud washing.
Using baking soda lemon juice and water in buckets.
Washes the crap off and you hardly lose any trics.
Bud dries and tastes wonderfully.

It's a bud wash. Three 5 gallon buckets. Fill with room temperature water/ tap water. First bucket gets 1 cup lemon juice and 1 cup baking soda. The rest just straight water.

20 - 30 seconds of lightly agitating the bud in the first bucket, repeat in the second pre-rinse bucket, then final rinse.

The purpose is to rinse off foliar sprays that are used with the kit. Liquid fish guts... Don't want to smoke it. Also removes hair, dust, ect..

You know how sticky the buds get.... Wash that crap off!!! lol

Thanks for stopping by :Namaste:

I lost my mind when I saw that for the first time. I remember thinking that surely it would knock off the trichomes. Not too long ago there was a hot water bath that went along with the other two. But that led me to this site and docs page discussing bud washing. I have to say, I was excited about washing my buds this time. I'm hoping the tastes and smells will really come out, unlike the crap I buy at the dispensary. Cheers mason

OOoh ok , I don't do any foliar spray when I throw them into flower, just in the beginning to rince of the excess homemade garlic thrips spray but it's only garlic and it gets rinced off in the 2 weeks stretch cycle.

I lost my mind when I saw that for the first time. I remember thinking that surely it would knock off the trichomes. Not too long ago there was a hot water bath that went along with the other two. But that led me to this site and docs page discussing bud washing. I have to say, I was excited about washing my buds this time. I'm hoping the tastes and smells will really come out, unlike the crap I buy at the dispensary. Cheers mason

The hot >> cold wash was to bring out the colors. Like blanching green veggies. If I remember correctly.

People that grow in docs kit use foliar sprays once to twice a week depending on what your spraying. One of the sprays leaves a stain on my panda film. I'm definitely washing that off my buds. :)

Don't DeStress the mess... wash that shit... lol :rofl:

My walls looked like someone puked on them after one run. It was a satisfying mess... Didn't mind cleaning it at all.

The hot >> cold wash was to bring out the colors. Like blanching green veggies. If I remember correctly.

I did not know that. I just remember doc succinctly explaining that we wash our vegetables before eating them why not wash our buds before consuming them? Just made total sense after that.

Back
Top Bottom