Mr. Sauga's Sponsored Grow Journal - Featuring Atreum Lighting And Blue Planet Nutrients

1611413013179.png

Hey everybody!

Welcome to my latest venture! This will be a good one as I'll be stepping outside my comfort zone, but I'm not concerned considering the companies I'll be working with. We have some terrific sponsors here at 420 Magazine, and as you may have already gathered two of them have stepped up to make this one a special grow; Atreum Lighting, and Blue Planet Nutrients.

These two sponsors have been terrific in supporting cannabis awareness, and I'm excited to display their products throughout this journal. I’m sure it’s a reflection on their customer service too, so please consider them both when purchasing new lights or nutrients. You can reach their company representatives directly through 420 Magazine if you need some advice, or if you have any questions regarding their respective products. @Atreum Lighting @Blue Planet Nutrients

The guests of honor will be two Original Glue S1's, and one each of the Pakistan Valley Kush and Pakistan Chitral Kush. The bean drop will be happening today and I'll have full pics on my process of germinating seeds.

I’ll also have some detailed information about the products I’ll be using over the weekend. I'll separate each sponsor update into their own posts so it will be easy to follow along. Questions and comments are always welcome, but please keep it on topic.

So sit back, relax, and get ready for some fun!

:Rasta:

Such a brilliant idea to get a real grower sponsored and post on your website. 420 Magazine, you really picked a winner, one of my best mentors and a great grow journalist! Love seeing the banner ads for the grow journal too - smart!

Such a brilliant idea to get a real grower sponsored and post on your website. 420 Magazine, you really picked a winner, one of my best mentors and a great grow journalist! Love seeing the banner ads for the grow journal too - smart!
Thanks so much for the kind words, Drey! I'm glad to have you drop in and follow along. :passitleft:

I got the answer to that first question.

Plants utilize PPF and PPF changes with color temperature. Different wavelengths excite photosynthesis in different levels. Here is a widely accepted graph for understanding this. McCree's relative quantum efficiency curve;

Red bands induce more photosynthesis than any other band as you can see. But plants react to both red-green-blue bands with photosynthesis. The problem is, some bands are just more efficient, or they just seem to.

Red dominant wavelength composition will result in the biggest bio-mass, which includes every part from root to top weight of a plant. Leaves and stems are also included. If you are growing this type of plant, then you need to use monochromatic LED's, 15W of blue with 85W of red in each 100W.

Blue dominant wavelength composition will result in better root system and higher quality products compared to red. If you are after a top shelf product, then you should roughly use 15W of monochromatic red and 85W of polychromatic full-spectrum LED's. The recipe is not %100 precise but these combinations of wavelengths are also widely accepted among manufacturers. Blue is just as important as red. You can observe the quality difference in cannabis and tomatoes clearly. Tomatoes don't get swollen and cannabis get higher rates of cannabinoids and terpenes when you use enough blue.

Green dominant wavelength composition will result in lower photosynthesis rate but if you provide your plants with lets say %25 blue %25 red and %50 green, they will still grow great and give amazing products. Green penetrates into the canopy and therefore doesn't induce photosynthesis just as efficient as red or blue. That is why nobody uses a green dominant spectrum. However, having green band in your composition has amazing benefits if the percentage is kept at a reasonable level. %25 green can replace %25 blue without affecting the biomass produced. Same thing doesn't apply with red but you will be needing green or blue to get a proper root system on your cannabis plants.

About auto-flowers and fast veg. clones for SOG, I don't think it is a good idea to boost red too much. Quality decreases after some point due to lack of blue. Also these kind of plants need to establish a good root system in short time so giving them too much red might end up in smaller bio-mass.

About long vegging properly trained plants, it will make a great sense to use too much red in late veg. to promote stretch and get a longer node separation to properly do a SCROG or whatever you are doing. Some trains like my Pink Kush(Barney's) have a very narrow node separation. I couldn't get amazing results when I trained this plant so I had two options. Adding a red boost for the stretch on late veg. or go SOG with lots of small sized clones. I chose the SOG way and can't be more happy with my garden. Keeping things minimal always paid off for me.

The best alternative in my book is to use a well balanced spectrum in all phases. That's why I customized my own LED fixtures around 3900K, which I believe is very near to the sweet spot for cannabis cultivation, as well as many other plants. I will built tunable white fixtures this year and have total control over the stretch. That will be the ultimate grow light I think.

Hope these help. Cheers :passitleft:
Bookmarked :thumb:

1611413013179.png

Hey everybody!

Welcome to my latest venture! This will be a good one as I'll be stepping outside my comfort zone, but I'm not concerned considering the companies I'll be working with. We have some terrific sponsors here at 420 Magazine, and as you may have already gathered two of them have stepped up to make this one a special grow; Atreum Lighting, and Blue Planet Nutrients.

These two sponsors have been terrific in supporting cannabis awareness, and I'm excited to display their products throughout this journal. I’m sure it’s a reflection on their customer service too, so please consider them both when purchasing new lights or nutrients. You can reach their company representatives directly through 420 Magazine if you need some advice, or if you have any questions regarding their respective products. @Atreum Lighting @Blue Planet Nutrients

The guests of honor will be two Original Glue S1's, and one each of the Pakistan Valley Kush and Pakistan Chitral Kush. The bean drop will be happening today and I'll have full pics on my process of germinating seeds.

I’ll also have some detailed information about the products I’ll be using over the weekend. I'll separate each sponsor update into their own posts so it will be easy to follow along. Questions and comments are always welcome, but please keep it on topic.

So sit back, relax, and get ready for some fun!

Awesome! :thumb:

Blue dominant wavelength composition will result in better root system and higher quality products compared to red. If you are after a top shelf product, then you should roughly use 15W of monochromatic red and 85W of polychromatic full-spectrum LED's

How does playing with blue and red affect quality?

And while I'm here....how does light color affect flower in general? Cervantes said you can use green light to work in a grow room during dark hours so I take that to mean green plays no part in flower?

First is understanding what spectrums plants like, which is really only four colors.
blue, or cool @ 400-520nm
green/yellow, or neutral @500-600nm
red, or warm @ 630-660nm and
beyond red, or hot @ 720-740nm

Blue wavelengths develop the structure and health of the plant. They are also responsible for the processing of chlorophylls.

Red wavelengths are considered the warm wavelengths along the light spectrum. This includes the red and far red wavelengths. Cool wavelengths and warm wavelengths both contribute to chlorophyll processing, but the warmer wavelengths are not as strong as the cooler ones. They contribute to the strengthening of stems, the growth of leaves, and eventually your buds.
The red wavelength is strongest during the summer and autumn parts of the year. This is why you use it during the flowering stage of growth. When these wavelengths stimulate your plant for longer periods than in vegging, it sends a signal to your plant to start producing flowers.

Cervantes said you can use green light to work in a grow room during dark hours so I take that to mean green plays no part in flower?

The green/yellow doesn't do a lot for your plants, although it's still important to the growth of a plant. Plants reflect green, but they do absorb it too. This helps a plant growing in shady conditions since the wavelengths can penetrate the foliage and provide energy down low. Having said that, those green wavelengths are not really needed, and probably why you don't see a lot of companies fixate on that spectrum.

And while I'm here....how does light color affect flower in general? Cervantes said you can use green light to work in a grow room during dark hours so I take that to mean green plays no part in flower?

Blue and red stimulates different grow patterns. If we talk for cannabis in spesific, you can get bushy plants with short internode distance in veg. under blue dominant spectrum. Everybody has a different idea about ideal plant structure. Some people grow huge plants like I used to do and some people go SOG with a week old clones. If you are growing huge plants, you might use red in vegetation to speed things up. It is all about how advanced your strategy is. I should note that these lighting tricks will affect quality more than yield. If you are after yield, you will probably want more red but if you are after quality, you will probably end up something with a fair amount of blue in it.

You should never disrupt the dark cycle of your plants, even with green light. Plants also use green light for photosynthesis so any source of light should be kept away from the grow space when its dark. Like I said earlier you can grow perfect plants with %50 green light. You can't grow with %85 green but you can grow %85 red but it won't be the ideal setup either. Balance is the key here. Anyways, I had some fellow growers complaining about bananas, pollen sacks and some seeds with feminized grows. I always ask them if they have a small indicator led on their electronic humidity devices or fans and they always tell me that they do. After taping these leds with black electric tape, problems like these always tend to disappear. It is also a commercial growers nightmare to have power outages. These can produce same type of issues inside your grow area.

Featured lights on this journal also contain plenty of green light in it and this green band is also generating photosynthetically active radiation. Moreover, full spectrum lighting like the Atreum fixture here helps you detect deficiencies, bug infestations or any other contamination easily. If you go blue+red lights, you won't easily be able to tell what is wrong. Things can go terribly wrong in a couple of days. Plants grown under a fair percentage of green is also proven to have better root systems compared to the plants grown under red dominant light fixtures with no green and small amounts of blue.

Hope these help :bong:

Hey everybody!
It's been a busy week, and since there was nothing major to report there was no need for an update. As of today there is still nothing major to report. I did snap a couple of pics that I can share, but that's about it for now.

The OG's are odd ones. Both came out with spindly stems. Part of it was due to the stretch, but even when they broke soil they were thin to begin with. I'm sure they'll be just fine. I'm curious if others that have run this strain observed the same thing I did.

OK, so other than that there's nothing to report.

Hey everybody!

Not much to report. Increased the light intensity a bit on the ARA-6 from Atreum Lighting. We are sitting at 12K lux right now. They've responded nicely and are starting to get their feet planted now.

I gave them a good watering as well, spiked with Blue Planet Nutrients' Blue Max 2-Part System. From this point it will be a normal feeding schedule until the auto feed system gets fired up. The next feeding they will get a boost in nutrients.

Hey everybody!

Not much to report. Increased the light intensity a bit on the ARA-6 from Atreum Lighting. We are sitting at 12K lux right now. They've responded nicely and are starting to get their feet planted now.

I gave them a good watering as well, spiked with Blue Planet Nutrients' Blue Max 2-Part System. From this point it will be a normal feeding schedule until the auto feed system gets fired up. The next feeding they will get a boost in nutrients.

Those gadgets attached to the Glues look exactly like my very own GDBstabilizers, right down to the color of the pipe cleaner. :lot-o-toke:

Hey everybody!

So Beautiful! :green_heart:

I got the answer to that first question.

Plants utilize PPF and PPF changes with color temperature. Different wavelengths excite photosynthesis in different levels. Here is a widely accepted graph for understanding this. McCree's relative quantum efficiency curve;

Red bands induce more photosynthesis than any other band as you can see. But plants react to both red-green-blue bands with photosynthesis. The problem is, some bands are just more efficient, or they just seem to.

Red dominant wavelength composition will result in the biggest bio-mass, which includes every part from root to top weight of a plant. Leaves and stems are also included. If you are growing this type of plant, then you need to use monochromatic LED's, 15W of blue with 85W of red in each 100W.

Blue dominant wavelength composition will result in better root system and higher quality products compared to red. If you are after a top shelf product, then you should roughly use 15W of monochromatic red and 85W of polychromatic full-spectrum LED's. The recipe is not %100 precise but these combinations of wavelengths are also widely accepted among manufacturers. Blue is just as important as red. You can observe the quality difference in cannabis and tomatoes clearly. Tomatoes don't get swollen and cannabis get higher rates of cannabinoids and terpenes when you use enough blue.

Green dominant wavelength composition will result in lower photosynthesis rate but if you provide your plants with lets say %25 blue %25 red and %50 green, they will still grow great and give amazing products. Green penetrates into the canopy and therefore doesn't induce photosynthesis just as efficient as red or blue. That is why nobody uses a green dominant spectrum. However, having green band in your composition has amazing benefits if the percentage is kept at a reasonable level. %25 green can replace %25 blue without affecting the biomass produced. Same thing doesn't apply with red but you will be needing green or blue to get a proper root system on your cannabis plants.

About auto-flowers and fast veg. clones for SOG, I don't think it is a good idea to boost red too much. Quality decreases after some point due to lack of blue. Also these kind of plants need to establish a good root system in short time so giving them too much red might end up in smaller bio-mass.

About long vegging properly trained plants, it will make a great sense to use too much red in late veg. to promote stretch and get a longer node separation to properly do a SCROG or whatever you are doing. Some trains like my Pink Kush(Barney's) have a very narrow node separation. I couldn't get amazing results when I trained this plant so I had two options. Adding a red boost for the stretch on late veg. or go SOG with lots of small sized clones. I chose the SOG way and can't be more happy with my garden. Keeping things minimal always paid off for me.

The best alternative in my book is to use a well balanced spectrum in all phases. That's why I customized my own LED fixtures around 3900K, which I believe is very near to the sweet spot for cannabis cultivation, as well as many other plants. I will built tunable white fixtures this year and have total control over the stretch. That will be the ultimate grow light I think.

Hope these help. Cheers :passitleft:
In that case would you suggest I turn off the bloom switch and run only the veg switch near the end of flower, if top quality is what I’m after opposed to maximized biomass?

Back
Top Bottom