Multi-Strain Seed Run

MS Update:

I'm not seeing any balls hanging around in the tent. I'm not sure if the plants will develop any. I'll give it another week, just in case. Here are the close-ups of the branches treated with STS...

full

full

_______________________________________________________________​

full

full

Cream & Cheese

full

full

Candida

full

full

full

full

Sapphire Scout

Hey Salt, those girls are stretching like crazy! :thedoubletake:

I'm doing a little work this week to prepare for my next grow. I needed more caged grow bags, and wanted to change the dripper assemblies.

The cages are 9" X 9" X 12". Eleven inches of the height are usable. The bottoms are raised up an inch to keep them clear of the run off. There is a 3" X 3" X 1" center support for the bottom. The sides of the cage are bent with the veritical wires to the inside. This makes it easy to add the empty grow bag, and remove the full one at the end of the grow. The dripper assemblies connect to my automatic watering system with a Watts connector. This lets me remove the plant for maintenance.

The covers are 7" X 11". I left two of the vertical wires long, then bent them into hooks that slide over the horizontal wire of the cage itself. One inch of the long sides is bent at 90° so the grow bag can be folded over the top of the cage. The side without the hooks has a spring that clips to the cage, holding the cover securely. These covers serve two purposes. They are the carriers for the dripper assemblies, and provide plenty of tie points for plant training.

full

full

I'm doing a little work this week to prepare for my next grow. I needed more caged grow bags, and wanted to change the dripper assemblies.

The cages are 9" X 9" X 12". Eleven inches of the height are usable. The bottoms are raised up an inch to keep them clear of the run off. The dripper assemblies connect to my automatic watering system with a Watts connector. This lets me remove the plant for maintenance.

full

full

Nice! You do such a beautiful job of documenting your tools and set-up, Salt. Well done.

... Interesting drip system Salt.. Though I find those parts locally at brick and mortar stores, often times cheaper.. Good design, what are you using for a H2o reservoir ??? Here is a few pics of the design that I borrowed from a member on this site, though there are a TON of others on here... Green days Salt, and to all....

Attachments

• 053017 Device 1.jpg
    053017 Device 1.jpg
    544.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 053017 Device 2.jpg
    053017 Device 2.jpg
    730 KB · Views: 94
... Interesting drip system Salt.. Though I find those parts locally at brick and mortar stores, often times cheaper.. Good design, what are you using for a H2o reservoir ??? Here is a few pics of the design that I borrowed from a member on this site, though there are a TON of others on here... Green days Salt, and to all....

I shuddered when I saw the one liter bottle. I use a five gallon pail, with an automatic pumping system I put together. The pump and power supply ran me less than $10. The timer was $20. It lets me water up to three times per day with the on time adjustable to the second. The dripper assemblies, and step down converter are adjusted to put out about 250ml (1 cup) per minute. Note that a 12V, 2A power supply is needed. The 1A supply I tried to use recently kept cutting out. I switched with the 2A power supply I used for my oscillating fans, and everyone was happy.

I shuddered when I saw the one liter bottle. I use a five gallon pail, with an automatic pumping system I put together. The pump and power supply ran me less than $10. The timer was $20. It lets me water up to three times per day with the on time adjustable to the second. The dripper assemblies, and step down converter are adjusted to put out about 250ml (1 cup) per minute. Note that a 12V, 2A power supply is needed. The 1A supply I tried to use recently kept cutting out. I switched with the 2A power supply I used for my oscillating fans, and everyone was happy.
.. Though I am sure that the pictures I posted could easily be adapted to a 5 gallon bucket and bigger, it can also be adjusted to the size you need for your personal space and is gravity fed... I set it up at one of the grows that I am consulting on, with 3 Liter bottles mind you, and it seems to be working Magnificently.. Their grow medium is a soil of Pro Mix/ Perlite mix, and it is perfect for a seeping style of watering... Most people are not as Mechanically inclined, or have as much cash to experiment as you do Salt.. Either way pictures, later maybe, of the entire apparatus would be prudent and helpful to the masses who may visit your thread. Though I find in my personal grows that all these do dads you are coming up with May be helpful, but would also make me lazy and unattentive.. That being said I am not one of those growers who have the Token two or three plants going on.. I have 15 to 20 male and female pairs most of the time, and am in need of record taking and comparison data recording several times a day.. Green day Salt. and to all

.. Though I am sure that the pictures I posted could easily be adapted to a 5 gallon bucket and bigger, it can also be adjusted to the size you need for your personal space and is gravity fed... I set it up at one of the grows that I am consulting on, with 3 Liter bottles mind you, and it seems to be working Magnificently.. Their grow medium is a soil of Pro Mix/ Perlite mix, and it is perfect for a seeping style of watering... Most people are not as Mechanically inclined, or have as much cash to experiment as you do Salt.. Either way pictures, later maybe, of the entire apparatus would be prudent and helpful to the masses who may visit your thread. Though I find in my personal grows that all these do dads you are coming up with May be helpful, but would also make me lazy and unattentive.. That being said I am not one of those growers who have the Token two or three plants going on.. I have 15 to 20 male and female pairs most of the time, and am in need of record taking and comparison data recording several times a day.. Green day Salt. and to all

I had to develop this out of necessity. Coco/perlite HAS to be watered at least twice per day once you're past the seedling stage. Overnight stays such as visiting the children, or for my wife's hospitalization can't be handled by the plants. Hand watering three times per day, as I'm doing in my current grow is a real pain. The drip line I had from a previous endeavor. Everything else needed cost less than $40 CDN. I spend more than that for the seed for a single grow.

The light, and hanger I built are over the top. The Mars Hydro TSL-2000 costs about 1/3 of that. When I built it, I was very disillusioned by what was on the market. My experience with the light I had, which had the best specs I could find for the cost at the time was not great. Mars Hydro had not come out with their SP or TS series of lights when I ordered the parts.

The tent topper? That was a necessity, and today I was very happy to have it installed. I had to raise the light, as one of the plants is now over 4-1/2' tall or 140cm from the floor. I have at most 18" (45cm) height left in a 7' tent, and the plants are not finished their stretch yet. I could have controlled the height better, but inexperience with the strains, and going for seed led to them being taller than I like. Without the topper, and moving the fan and filter out of the tent, I would have been S.O.L.

The oscillating fans cost far less than the Monkey Fans many are using. With materials for the mounts and power supplies, each cost less than $25 CAD.

The caged grow bags are a DIY solution to other problems. I had decided on fabric bags, but they expand so four of the size I wanted would not fit side by side in a 2' X 4' tent. Eight of my caged grow bags ended up costing about $10 CDN each. Compared to $7.35 for a Vivisun, $16.50 for a Geopot, or $34.40 for an Airpot, I'd say that I didn't spend more than I had to for plant containers, and certainly far less than an equivalent ready made solution that might have worked. Only the Airpot may have met my requirements. Other than those, I could have used plastic nursery pots which would have run about $5.00 each.

So yes, I have spent more that I had to. Doesn't every new grower? How many growers are still using the light they bought for their first grow? How many growers have replaced their first tent as I did, because it didn't work for them? I think the vast majority of us have spent more than we absolutely had to.

I had to develop this out of necessity. Coco/perlite HAS to be watered at least twice per day once you're past the seedling stage. Overnight stays such as visiting the children, or for my wife's hospitalization can't be handled by the plants. Hand watering three times per day, as I'm doing in my current grow is a real pain. The drip line I had from a previous endeavor. Everything else needed cost less than $40 CDN. I spend more than that for the seed for a single grow.
... Yeah I get all that Salt, I was just saying that most people pay a lot more for the same stuff you have an excellent DIY solution for... So pictures of the apparatus would be helpful... Not trying to belittle, or demean what you are doing AT ALL, just making pointed observations.

The light, and hanger I built are over the top. The Mars Hydro TSL-2000 costs about 1/3 of that. When I built it, I was very disillusioned by what was on the market. My experience with the light I had, which had the best specs I could find for the cost at the time was not great. Mars Hydro had not come out with their SP or TS series of lights when I ordered the parts.
So yes, I have spent more that I had to. Doesn't every new grower? How many growers are still using the light they bought for their first grow? How many growers have replaced their first tent as I did, because it didn't work for them? I think the vast majority of us have spent more than we absolutely had to.
... On this point, I can't even remember the lights I started with, it was Many Many years ago.. Most likely Sodiums and the like, but I agree that most overspend, and under research most aspects of a grow.. I make money instructing others here in our legal state on how to get started, specifically on a budget..
...That being said it has been my experience that just because you spend more or less on a light, doesn't mean better results.. You have to position the light right, manicure and train plants, and follow a rigorous schedule that includes proper nutrients and such.. I have 5 Timber Light Cob systems with 2 - 6 cob lights per fixture.. They are Expensive to run ( and purchase for that matter ), and not needed ALL the time.. I fill in with a good bit of Inexpensive LEDs that are just as effective in both spectrum, and coverage, with less electricity and heat to be dealt with.. Some beginners find it prudent to use what they can afford to RUN everyday, not what they can pay for the light itself... IDK....
...There are a Vast amount of things that go into growing indoors and outdoors that most people have to learn over time.. Some things a person may read or see may or may not be good for their growing method and location.. Thus I ALWAYS encourage anyone to research any and all information, and decide how it will work for THEM in THEIR grow.. It is an ever changing and perpetually evolving thing we call Cannabis... Much to be said for knowledge via scientific study ( which is where I am at ) and overall experience ( which is where I advanced from ) .
...You do an excellent job of explaining what you are doing most times, but leave some to be desired in documenting via pictures or videos of overall application and usage... I hope that I am making myself clear, I am not as experienced in Public Relations as I am in growing Cannabis by far. I am working on my skills in that department as diligently as the former.. I am not able to practice all that often as I only communicate on an intelligent or personal level with VERY few people on this site.. Many others in person in my day to day life as a necessity of my Job, but not on here.. It causes many " Misunderstandings " as I feel happened here...

...Green day to you Salt, and to all

... Yeah I get all that Salt, I was just saying that most people pay a lot more for the same stuff you have an excellent DIY solution for... So pictures of the apparatus would be helpful... Not trying to belittle, or demean what you are doing AT ALL, just making pointed observations.

... On this point, I can't even remember the lights I started with, it was Many Many years ago.. Most likely Sodiums and the like, but I agree that most overspend, and under research most aspects of a grow.. I make money instructing others here in our legal state on how to get started, specifically on a budget..
...That being said it has been my experience that just because you spend more or less on a light, doesn't mean better results.. You have to position the light right, manicure and train plants, and follow a rigorous schedule that includes proper nutrients and such.. I have 5 Timber Light Cob systems with 2 - 6 cob lights per fixture.. They are Expensive to run ( and purchase for that matter ), and not needed ALL the time.. I fill in with a good bit of Inexpensive LEDs that are just as effective in both spectrum, and coverage, with less electricity and heat to be dealt with.. Some beginners find it prudent to use what they can afford to RUN everyday, not what they can pay for the light itself... IDK....
...There are a Vast amount of things that go into growing indoors and outdoors that most people have to learn over time.. Some things a person may read or see may or may not be good for their growing method and location.. Thus I ALWAYS encourage anyone to research any and all information, and decide how it will work for THEM in THEIR grow.. It is an ever changing and perpetually evolving thing we call Cannabis... Much to be said for knowledge via scientific study ( which is where I am at ) and overall experience ( which is where I advanced from ) .
...You do an excellent job of explaining what you are doing most times, but leave some to be desired in documenting via pictures or videos of overall application and usage... I hope that I am making myself clear, I am not as experienced in Public Relations as I am in growing Cannabis by far. I am working on my skills in that department as diligently as the former.. I am not able to practice all that often as I only communicate on an intelligent or personal level with VERY few people on this site.. Many others in person in my day to day life as a necessity of my Job, but not on here.. It causes many " Misunderstandings " as I feel happened here...

...Green day to you Salt, and to all

I don't see it as a misunderstanding. You simply encouraged me to explain a little better than I did in this thread. There's more in my other threads, but those aren't linked here. So thank you, and if there's anything that needs more explanation please let me know. My family immigrated to Canada back in 1959, when I was three. Things were very tough for us while growing up. We had to make do with what we had, or could scrounge. That's where my DIY abilities come from.

That's a damn good idea there @Old Salt :thumb: I was wondering about my current auto watering system working properly (my kids:rofl:) while my wife and I take a little trip :slide: a 7 day programmable timer and I'm good to go :thumb::thanks:

I found a timer that is ideal for this, as its on time can be specified to the second. The first version of the automatic watering system is in this post. I used that setup for my last grow, and it worked very well. The only change I made was to the dripper assembly. The holes I drilled in the drip line could get clogged, and might be difficult to clean. Another problem is balancing the output of the dripper assemblies. The new design fixes both of these problems.

Something I found out this week is that you need a 12V 2A power supply for the pump. I borrowed the one I was using for my fans, and replaced it with a 12V 1A power supply. It kept cutting out as the motor was drawing too much current. Swapping the two power supplies showed the 12V 1A supply works for the fans.

If you have multiple strains in your grow, each with a different water requirement, you may want to add needle valves to the original design so you can adjust the outputs of the individual dripper assemblies. I haven't done this as I normally only have a single strain in a tent. This grow is different as I'm going for seed from multiple strains. I'm watering manually as the grow is spread over two tents.

5' Tent / Mars Hydro TSL-2000: Day 13 of Flower

Two items caught my attention in this tent over the past week. The stretch continued, and I'm not seeing signs of male flowers.

Can I supercrop at this point of their development?

full

Left to Right: Cream & Cheese, Candida, Sapphire Scout

full

The Top Cola of Cream & Cheese at Light Level

And Now the STS Treated Branches:

full

full

Cream & Cheese: STS Treated Branch - No Pollen Sacs?

full

full

]_______________________________________________________________​

full

full

Candida: STS Treated Branch - No Nanners?

full

full

Sapphire Scout: STS Treated Branch - No Balls?

As you can imagine, I'm disappointed with the results. As more of us are trying this I'll ask @Pennywise to comment. As a recap, these branches were first treated with STS Jun 28, or four weeks ago. The STS was painted on after lights on, and before the lights went out for three days. Another application was made a week later, and then the following week, so five times in total. Is there another protocol I should have followed?

If no one sees signs of pollen sacs, I'll prune the STS treated branches away this week. Hopefully I'll be able to try again with the cuttings I took.

It's easy to forget that this is only my fifth grow. I do a face plant from time to time, and this is one of those times.

Back
Top Bottom