New grower looking for opinions

90notch3

420 Member
Looking to start my first grow. Looking to either do a 4x4 or 5x5 tent. Looking at either the mars hydro 6500 or dual 3000s.
What would everyone recommend? I’d like to get 1 to 2 lbs out of each grow. Also what do you recommend for venting. doing it in my basement and was debating venting out the window but I’m alittle worried about heat loss during winter keeping fans on 24/7

Thanks

Not trying to be discouraging but 1-2 lbs in that space on a first grow or even first year of growing is fairly lofty goals and a quite possibly a big set up for disappointment. Not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely, folks think "it's easy just grow a plant and make a bunch of money", and if it was that easy everyone would do it and it wouldn't be worth very much ;). Personally I just grow for myself and those I give it to, so quality is my concern over quantity, but in 5 years of growing I haven't hit that 1-2 lb amount in a space similar to that but I'm sure there are folks here that have possibly. Just so many people come in with unrealistic goals and then spend a bunch of money and give up, and used equipment for growing isn't worth very much and same as any other electronics the value tanks once it is "used".

Ok what do you recommend to hit those goals
Time. Patience. The right nutrients. The best light(s) you can afford. Picking high yielding strains. Utilizing stress training to get denser nugs. Humidity and temp control. Pest Prevention. A 6 in line and duct work. A humidifier. A dehumidifier. A Ph and moisture reader. A hydrometer. The right soil. The proper amendments. At least a 48x48x80. The right light schedule. 1-2# in that space as Dwight said is a feat that doesn't happen usually. Between the # of plants and the amount of light they will need to get through to them...lots of pruning and fimming or defoliating. A lot of reading through here. Asking a lot of questions...visit journals in progress or for you, maybe completed journals so you can see what everyone is starting with and ending with and what their set ups were throughout the grows...

Maybe be better off with the new 8000 from Mars if you are looking to grow bigger and better...

Good luck buddy!

@90notch3 Welcome to 420Magazine.​

If you want to gain more, use a high power light. FC6500 and FC8000 are both good choices. The tent is chosen according to your growing area and the size of the light. 5x5 is enough to accommodate the light and a few plants. 420 users can use the discount code 420Magazine to get a 3% discount. Newbies can learn a lot of growing skills at 420. And there are many nice people here, you can write a grow journal in 420 after you prepare everything, and many people will help you when you encounter difficulties.

Carbon filter and recirculate with house air to save the heat.. Summer time filter and exhaust.. We know you want to grow in a tent, what method do you plan on using? Have you ever grown anything? Telling you to buy this or that light light is just one of a multitude of things you need to decide on.. The light will be the last thing you'll be turning on..
Lets hear what ideas you've had when envisioning this grow.. Lifting the bottom line is acceptable vision.
With a powerful light, be it LED or hid, you can get a pound, or close to it with one plant, using one light.. Best plan on an easy fast Indica.. In and out in 100 days is a good plan.. You'll probably get the best help from members who are growing with the same method you choose.. If it turns out you're serious, I'll help with anything I can contribute..

IF you want to spend money and not really care FC8000.
Not two sp's or one.
But i think you have had some great advice.
Took me years to start getting that type of weight.
And a good product.
Its a journey and your about to start it.
If it was me i would grow a few ladies for the first few grows.
More plants more problems.
Dail in a smaller setup will save you money in the long run.
All you need is Room/autos/light and try dailing that in.
Hope your one of the lucky ones if you go all out it happens. ;)

Carbon filter and recirculate with house air to save the heat.. Summer time filter and exhaust.. We know you want to grow in a tent, what method do you plan on using? Have you ever grown anything? Telling you to buy this or that light light is just one of a multitude of things you need to decide on.. The light will be the last thing you'll be turning on..
Lets hear what ideas you've had when envisioning this grow.. Lifting the bottom line is acceptable vision.
With a powerful light, be it LED or hid, you can get a pound, or close to it with one plant, using one light.. Best plan on an easy fast Indica.. In and out in 100 days is a good plan.. You'll probably get the best help from members who are growing with the same method you choose.. If it turns out you're serious, I'll help with anything I can contribute..
I am looking to use soil with Fox farm soil and either their nutrients or advanced nutrients. If I can get the filter to allow no smell I will vent into basement otherwise I think I’ll have to vent out a window. Lookin at ac infinity fan 6” and not sure on filter yet

Not trying to be discouraging but 1-2 lbs in that space on a first grow or even first year of growing is fairly lofty goals and a quite possibly a big set up for disappointment. Not saying it's impossible but highly unlikely, folks think "it's easy just grow a plant and make a bunch of money", and if it was that easy everyone would do it and it wouldn't be worth very much ;). Personally I just grow for myself and those I give it to, so quality is my concern over quantity, but in 5 years of growing I haven't hit that 1-2 lb amount in a space similar to that but I'm sure there are folks here that have possibly. Just so many people come in with unrealistic goals and then spend a bunch of money and give up, and used equipment for growing isn't worth very much and same as any other electronics the value tanks once it is "used".

My first grow yielded about a half an ounce from 3 plants! It was quite a learning experience and a marvelous FAIL. But I learned, corrected, and now I'm getting 6-7 ounces from my 3 plants in a 3x4 space.

Looking to start my first grow. Looking to either do a 4x4 or 5x5 tent. Looking at either the mars hydro 6500 or dual 3000s.
What would everyone recommend? I’d like to get 1 to 2 lbs out of each grow. Also what do you recommend for venting. doing it in my basement and was debating venting out the window but I’m alittle worried about heat loss during winter keeping fans on 24/7

Thanks

Thanks
First, is 90notch a Mustang reference? Sorry for asking, just a fellow gearhead…

I’ve been growing for 15 years. I JUST hit 1.8 pounds in a RDWC and I spent thousands on a system, bathe them in light and only about 1.2 of that would be considered ‘top shelf’ stuff. I grow for me so it don’t really matter. Just trying to help set expectations.

If this helps: I’m in a 4x4, 680 watt LED, chiller keeps water at 66, room stays between 60-72 degrees, RH between 42% and 61% generally, carbon scrubber and exhaust fan running 24/7 AND a barn fan outside the room to keep all of the above in check. The lights you are considering are both good, but I’ll leave that to those who have more experience.

I guess to summarize - to hit that number I am using a lot of equipment and experience (and luck). But the folks here can get you going towards that goal and maybe get you closer every time, even if you don’t hit it the first couple of runs. A lot of it is plant management, which took me years of practice (still practicing - just snapped a main cola pinching the poor girl) and that’s about 6 zips off the top of my end run right there.

Good luck and happy to assist in any way, just suggesting patience and fortitude - you might hit your goals!

Look into "Living Organic soil", water only from sprout to harvest... You just need to use large enough pots, 15 or 20 gallons each. Air flow is real important, old air out, fresh air in. Keep fans in the tent blowing on the girls 24/7. I'm with @Stunned on the HLG lighting, I own 3 fixtures. Other growers on this site use Mars with great success. You also need a good "IPM" "Integrated Pest Management" program. I have been growing for just over three years now. I just harvested my last crop in September, 4 plants (photo fems) approximately 34" x 42" space, yielded just over 25 ounces dry bud, about 4 ounces of that were light fluffy buds.

:hookah:

First, is 90notch a Mustang reference? Sorry for asking, just a fellow gearhead…

I’ve been growing for 15 years. I JUST hit 1.8 pounds in a RDWC and I spent thousands on a system, bathe them in light and only about 1.2 of that would be considered ‘top shelf’ stuff. I grow for me so it don’t really matter. Just trying to help set expectations.

If this helps: I’m in a 4x4, 680 watt LED, chiller keeps water at 66, room stays between 60-72 degrees, RH between 42% and 61% generally, carbon scrubber and exhaust fan running 24/7 AND a barn fan outside the room to keep all of the above in check. The lights you are considering are both good, but I’ll leave that to those who have more experience.

I guess to summarize - to hit that number I am using a lot of equipment and experience (and luck). But the folks here can get you going towards that goal and maybe get you closer every time, even if you don’t hit it the first couple of runs. A lot of it is plant management, which took me years of practice (still practicing - just snapped a main cola pinching the poor girl) and that’s about 6 zips off the top of my end run right there.

Good luck and happy to assist in any way, just suggesting patience and fortitude - you might hit your goals!
Thanks for all the replies! Yes I own a 90 mustang I’ve had it for over 10 years

D3823D28-3D4C-4598-ADFE-D553E5EB0641.png

Look into "Living Organic soil", water only from sprout to harvest... You just need to use large enough pots, 15 or 20 gallons each. Air flow is real important, old air out, fresh air in. Keep fans in the tent blowing on the girls 24/7. I'm with @Stunned on the HLG lighting, I own 3 fixtures. Other growers on this site use Mars with great success. You also need a good "IPM" "Integrated Pest Management" program. I have been growing for just over three years now. I just harvested my last crop in September, 4 plants (photo fems) approximately 34" x 42" space, yielded just over 25 ounces dry bud, about 4 ounces of that were light fluffy buds.

:hookah:
Have you seen those new HLG Scorpion Diablo™ kits?
Oh Baby........

In a 5x5 shouldn't be that difficult to get 2 pounds. But thats relative to your growing skills.
If I were setting up a 5x5 I would use 4 lights with a 2x2 footprint each.
That gives you even coverage and much more adjustment for differing plant heights.
I would build mine, but something like 4 of the Mars FC3000 would work
You want strip lights running Samsung LM301B diodes, more efficient, run cooler, more even coverage and can run them as close as 6" from canopy.

With that much light you could run them most of the time dimmed way down for even better efficiency and longer life..
You need a humidifier and dehumidifier to control VPD.
I would personally use four 30 gallon Grassroots fabric pots, one plant in each pot and LST each plant.
I would use Living Organic Soil.
You'll need about 24 colas per plant to pretty much assure getting a minimum of 8 oz per plant.
Thats about 8 weeks in veg and 7-12 weeks in flower strain dependant.

I grow in a little 2x5 space and can only use two 20 gallon Grassroots fabric pots, I dont usually get less than 8 oz per plant.
My last grow I got 27.5oz but that was my best grow to date.
So 2 pounds in twice the space is totally doable.

You just need to decide how you want to grow, 4 large pots in soil or about 8+ small pots in coco and bottle feed.
If you decide bottled nutrients it would a lot easier to just go with coco and water daily.

Back
Top Bottom