New Moon Over Guawi: A High Brix Journey

luke_2.jpg

speeder_9.jpg

Very nice Gazoo! Beautiful buds, and awesome models to help you!
They're not "models", 119...they're guardians.......:slide:

Morning all Yup stopped by the dollar store and picked them up some HOT WHEELS STARSHIPS 1.99 each
Really cool there are like 20 or 30 different Need to find an X-Wing :)

Is that Tarzan on a dragon?:rofl: Awesome...
Geez Gazoo, that's a lot of very frosty buds sir! Looking good, lil burn but no biggie.
Looks like they'll be wrapping it up pretty soon!

Yup Tarzan up graded his ride :rofl: Been pushing her and just recently started to cut back a bit,
She was handling it very well for 8 weeks but no biggie Those fans are mulch anyway :laugh:

The one picture was in the dark with flash for the BIG Reflection trick.

Should yield well mostly 4 inch tops top at this stage. Hoping
for 6 inches including the 1/2 inch or so below the net at end of grow

I need to take a page out of your book and get some photo props...

This run I found

Since I have a Sun-Rise routine going on I can take the pictures under the T5s prior to the HPS coming on
Makes things much nicer, only draw back is I only have a 15 minute window to get it done ;)

Been doing my research on UVA/B light and found a very interesting article from Jan 2017
in "CANNABIS CULTIVATION TODAY" the following cut and paste section is very interesting
May change out the back UVA/B Bulb with a full spectrum as maybe I am seeing UV Burn
in the later stages ? bottom of plant looks great ?

Effects of light on cannabis

What does light do to cannabis? The two main effects are plant height and THC content.

"Plants communicate with one another, and cannabis is no different. When grown around other plants, a plant can sense IR signals alerting it to the presence of its peers. An evolutionary mechanism causes the plants to grow taller, presumably in competition with one another to reach the light. Whether growing with a screen-of-green, sea-of-green or vertical growing approach, keeping this competitive growth phenomenon in mind can increase yields. The more plants that are being grown in proximity to each other, the greater the effect.

Increasing THC: Also, cannabis produces more THC when it’s exposed to UV light. This is another evolutionary trick: UV light can damage the plant’s cells, so it responds by increasing THC production. THC can negate the effects of UV radiation, particularly UV-B. Cultivators can take advantage of this survival mechanism. Adding UV-B lights to a grow room can simulate a higher elevation (that is, almost like the plants are closer to the sun) and boost THC production.

There’s a disadvantage to using too much UV-B light. THC is not the perfect sunblock, and high amounts of UV-B will still slip through the plant’s natural cannabinoid defenses. Because UV-B can damage the plant’s cells, this can lead to stress—which will ultimately cause lower yields but more potent buds.

One more thing: If you’re cultivating strains specifically for CBD, avoid UV-B. The more THC a plant produces, the less CBD it makes, and vice versa."

Looking at the girls last night under only the 660nm red T5s I could pickout some FOXTAILing looking into the
reasons I see its not that UNCOMMON for SATIVAs in
late flower. But also read it can also be caused by excessive Light ( UVA/B ).

This again leads me to think maybe to much UV

My LIGHTING did include an EXTRA 2 foot UV bulb in the back since,
I had an extra. This may be part of the problem since the recommended
Bulb mix is for only 4 UV bulbs in my mix so including that extra bulb may
be an issue. I just replaced it with a 6500k T5. Next run I will still include it during veg
but will replace it week 4 of flower.

Cut and paste article "How to Spot and Handle cannabis Foxtails" from Royal Queen seeds.

WHAT IS FOXTAILING?

The cannabis plant features calyces, which are a potential spot for seeds to develop. Particularly for female plants, calyces grow in groups during the period of maturation when they soak up light. This presents an opportunity for foxtails to show up. Foxtails are essentially a bunch of calyces stacked on top of each other to comprise an oddly-shaped bud formation.

Buds that foxtail are not exactly detrimental, but they are not exactly beneficial either. The most glaring setback is that it breaks up the structure of the herb. Instead of growing into a rounder shape, it tends to sprout out in a more elongated way, ultimately leaving less of the plant for you to use. In addition, this process is a common indication that your plants are not properly ripening.

“Bad” foxtailing involves the occurrence of foxtails due to heat and/or light stress. This often manifests in calyces that
form spires and make the bud look quite odd.

However, foxtailing is not always an abnormality. There are certain cannabis varieties that feature naturally-occurring foxtails, like in some Purple strains, or the Cole Train strain. This process is more common among sativa plants, specifically buds that were grown in tropical regions such as Colombia or Thailand.

AVOIDING "BAD" MARIJUANA FOXTAILS

As stated above, the cause of “bad” foxtailing is the bud’s prolonged exposure to heat and light. Common sense would, of course, dictate avoiding these occurrences, but there are other supporting methods as well.

One of them is to keep the grow room’s standard temperature at 23 degrees Celsius (74 degrees Fahrenheit) when the lights are on, then lower it 5-7 degrees cooler when the lights are off. You can do this by installing an air conditioner or venting capacity, or by going for cooled lights instead of HPS.

For the plant’s proximity to light, you can keep it at a safe distance of 24 inches under HID lights, and 30 inches under non-cooled lights. If you are using LED lights, you can go as close as 15 inches.

Another problem could be that sativa strains are more naturally suited to growing outdoors. But if you have no other choice but to cultivate indoors, be sure to limit light exposure to 11.5 hours in the span of an entire day. You can also feed it some B-52 vitamin to lower its stress levels. Allow as much space above and around the plant as possible.

------------------------------------
I may have to look for some UVC Bulbs after watching this

Back
Top Bottom