Pantagruel Goes Big

Just a snapshot of the Northern Lights I defol'd yesterday to keep the ball rolling.

Oct27NL.jpg

Except for the small (but very budlicious) untopped Kali the girls were all very dry again after 5 days. So, upped the nutes and the water volume again. 1.75 L each at 1500 ppm FN Bloom plus calmag. I won't go any stronger than this. Did some more defol as this is 21 days for most of them.

I have an observation on Fimming though. When I first read about it it seemed like a great idea, so I've been practicing. At this point, I'm not too bad. I hit 3 of 5 this run. But the results are disappointing. The fimmed tops are much smaller and don't stretch. That may be a function of the LED's. Regardless, I think I am going to abandon fimming in favour of double-topping. The double tops are much nicer.

Kali Mist fimmed
Oct29KaliFim.jpg

Lucy fimmed
Oct29LucyFIM.jpg

Red Dragon double topped
Oct29RDTopped.jpg

Thanks brother!

Maybe I'll play around with a fim/flux next run. I am going to be doing fewer but much larger plants this time because I can't afford to keep buying seed because things are really tight. That being said, I have a good quantity of my own Durban Lights to play with. So next grow I am planning 2 large Pure Kush and one large Durban Lights. I'll probably germinate 3 or 4 Durban Lights and select the best, and I could easily play with fimming/fluxing on the others. Since I'm approaching a 3 month veg it seems I should have time :)

i wanna try the flux. i veg for around 50 days .. your plants look great ..

i send people to light addicts thread every day to figure out fluxing .guess it my turn to sit back and study lol.

im pleased with my fim results .this was my 2nd attempt .

2014-10-26_14-05-16_360.jpg

Hey devils letuce, holla at me any time and ill help all I can if needed. :)

thanks .. it will be time soon !! i send people to your thread from F.a.Q to help with fluxing all the time !!!

Few loose ends to tie up then I will pop some beans for the flux girls.

Pots are drying out much quicker now, bone dry after 4 days. I'm a little concerned about salt build-up so today I did a mini-flush, 4 liters each rainwater, about 500 ml runoff. Took a bunch of pics but the light was bad on most. These are a few that turned out. The little Kali Mist that could is looking good - hard to believe she has at least 8 weeks left to go!

Kali Mist 4.5 weeks
Nov2Kali1.jpg

Red Dragon 3.5 weeks
Nov2RD1.jpg

Canopy
Nov2Canopy.jpg

beautiful ladies!!! ive stepped up my feeding gradually over the last month from 400 to 1600 ppm . i have seen no ill effects but i wonder if i need to do a flush to make sure the salts are not building up!

I have been suspecting my LED's of causing deficiency-like symptoms due spectral diffraction, intensity, etc. Moving them to a greater distance has somewhat alleviated this, however the lower leaves, where there is much more diffraction from the upper canopy, are still hit pretty hard. There are a few marks on the upper leaves.

Here is a pic of a leaf with a magnified view. Superficially all you can see is a very faint white mottling. Under the microscope however you can see all kinds of tiny black nodules, like burns. When this gets out of hand, you can see this all with the naked eye.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I'm going to post this up in FAQ's also.

LEDBurn.jpg

Your leaf damage may be either the beginnings of a calcium deficiency or insect damage. I would carefully inspect your leaves top and bottom for insects. If no insects are found what calcium and magnesium supplement are you using and how many milliliters per gallon?

Hmmm. So those black nodules are normal for a deficiency? I have been using GroTek Cal-max at 1.5 tsp per gallon and the FN Grow nutes also have quite a bit of calcium and magnesium. Next feeding I plan to reduce the nutes a bit and to double the Calmax.

Thanks KJC. :thumb:

Meant to say FN Bloom nutes on the previous.

Just dropped 4 Durban Lights beans in H20 for nice warm bath on the radiator overnight. The 2 nicest ones will become my fluxers and I'll be vegging them for a long time, maybe as much as 4 months. Eventually they'll be joined by 2 Pure Kush (which won't be fluxed).

Back
Top Bottom