Perpetual Pics

Well, I was just down in the veg room. Not too happy. One of the Marion Berry Kushs in the one gallon pots still has mites. I was reaching for the Azamax to start spraying but changed my mind. My second thought was to just toss them. It's noon here. I can't just dispose of them in broad daylight without possibly a neighbor seeing. I got to thinking, these are nice plants-nearly 2 1/2 foot tall. There was only a few leaves affected. The mites looked messed up and not very active.

So I went nuclear. I know many will disagree but I mixed up a double strength of Avid and sprayed down everything including tent walls, floor, and soil...err...soil-less mix. They say that Avid dissipates after 30 days if one chooses to believe it. The only plants I'm looking to flower out are the MBKs. They're all veging. I've done this once before, think that's what actually got rid of the little buggers in the past. I haven't felt any ill effects so we'll see.

After spraying them down I watered with a combo of SN 209 and Azamax. Hopefully this is the knock out blow. I don't have a full blown infestation. The plants don't look to have the damage of Radogast's. But I want them dead. I've been alternating using products with different active ingredients: the two SN's; 209 and 217, Azamax, Old Stage Garden Supplies' Green Clean, and Seven. I'm keeping them at bay, just need to get them good for gone. If they persist I'm going to step my game up.

I think it's funny or kind of odd when reading miticide reviews, some people swear by certain products while other people say they are useless. There's so many of them on the market. Sooner or later I'll find one or a plethora of them that will do the job.

So I trimmed that one Blue Blood plant and ran it through my food dehydrator. I set it on the lowest setting, 90 F. That was working but then I was reading someone's journal and they mentioned quick drying in an oven at 200 F. So I bumped the dehydrator to the highest setting, 160 F. It dried it out but the results were as expected. Pretty harsh expanding smoke. Still can't taste or smell to well, but I'd guess there's a heavy chlorophyll taste. But I can still feel two tokes after three hours (my tolerance is down). I had a cousin stop by. He thought it was some of the best he's had.

Well, gotta get ready for work. The rest of the Blue Bloods will come down tonight. I'll get some more pics up.

:peace:

Here's some group shots of the flowering tent. The large MBK laid herself over again. I still haven't seen any amber on her but it should be about any day now I'd think.

DSCN30035.JPG
DSCN30055.JPG
DSCN30063.JPG
DSCN30074.JPG

On the right side I have 4 rows now 10 deep with younger clones.

DSCN30045.JPG

Here's the worst hit by spider mites in flowering. She's the HGK I featured the other night. No webbing but some leaf blotches.

DSCN30094.JPG
DSCN30084.JPG

I thought I had five BBs ready to trim. Only three are really ready. Even those could use another day or two for my liking but I'm starting to trim them now.

DSCN30136.JPG
DSCN3014.JPG
DSCN30154.JPG

:420:

Good to hear from you Josh. A lot of the newer members didn't know I got the 2lt Soda Pop Pots from you. After a year and 1/2 of perpetually growing in nothing but 2lts I'm hanging up my hat and going big again. But for the record if anyone wants a large variety of different strains without using too much real estate 2lts are the way to go.

Thanxx again Josh.

I'm working my way through your 3.5 journal. Long thread, trying to take it all slow, hoping I can retain all the great advice you and the community has provided to me.

I do like the Hempys for the reasons you described. Think I have around nine strains going now. Granted, 5 are OG, OG crosses, or OG phenos. I'd like to grow, at least one a cycle, a monster in a fabric pot. Did it before with a Delicious Seed's Northern Light Blue that I used for a mother plant previous.

I really need to work on a schedule for 3.5 gallon Hempy clones. I really think if I can get that figured, well last time I weighed anything I was pulling about 1.4 lb dried/month in a 2'x4' tent with the 2 liters. I need to do a scientific journal. Better yet I better finish trimming those plants. Looking like around 20-25 grams per plant dried. X's that by, square inches work out into the equation as 5 per square foot. Real life works out to around 4 with a little room to spare. I hate math, but my numbers add up.

It's a lot of work maintaining this number of plants. I'll be the first one to admit. Then hand watering each one. I'm looking to go bigger. Just want the sporadic mite issue resolved and be able to invest in some new lighting.

I'll make sure to take some fresh bud shots when I get done trimming the Blue Blood.

:Namaste:

Josh, have you thought about trying 2lt SIPs? I had good results with them. Instead of using just one bottle I use two to have more medium. In my pic below I started off by sealing them but found later that they work better unsealed and just fill the reservoir.

2-Liter-SIP-3_9-300-dpi-dkong2.png

IMG_00005129.jpg

Josh, have you thought about trying 2lt SIPs? I had good results with them. Instead of using just one bottle I use two to have more medium. In my pic below I started off by sealing them but found later that they work better unsealed and just fill the reservoir.

2-Liter-SIP-3_9-300-dpi-dkong2.png

IMG_00005129.jpg

I was actually looking at that bro. My main concerns are: a lot of time the plants get top heavy. My Holy Grail Kush is a great example. Very frequently going straight from the cloner to flower I have to afix a stake to the outside of the pot and tie them up. Even with a proper watering they like to fall over. Not a wide foot print in a 2 liter. I'm thinking the method you describe may make that worse.

75% perlite, 25% vermiculite makes a very light-weight substrate, more so when it's dry. That, and I seem to be missing some 2 liters...they're here some where. Having wicks just seems like extra work, extra hassle. Other than more lumens-moles/sq foot, I really think I have the Hempy 2 liter SOG dialed in. Yeah, each strain is a little different as far as nutrient requirements. But I'm happy with my results. A tared scale doesn't lie.

Still need to get caught up on your journal. I want to see where and why you decided to go big. I'm in Washington state. 2nd to pass rec. Many friends in the legal industry, many more in black market. From everything I've seen with my own two eyes, no one can even approach my yields/sq foot. Kind of a moot point, I'm not on here to brag. I'm a very grounded, humble individual. But, in my mind, when I see someone growing a huge plant, that takes months to veg, to me that's time wasted.

I'm going to run some larger plants again as a comparison. Mainly because I currently have the larger plants. But going from cloner to flower,no veg, packing 4+/sq foot with no popcorn, passive hydro using organic nutes. Really hard to press a down side. Hand watering. That'd be my one down side. But, at the end of the day or cycle, it makes all that work pay off. Just my two cents and all.

So, I was thinking of getting a pair of Mars Hydro Pro Series Cree 128's for the 4'x4' flowering tent. At $644.99 a piece, that's not a very cheap option. There's not a lot of info out there yet on these fixtures. I think I'm going to wait a bit before making that leap.

Prior I was contemplating getting one of the newer Galvita 1000 watt double ended HPS setups. The down side to that would be excessive heat because it's not air cooled and my ceiling is only around 6'-6". They also only run on 220 volts so I'd have to do some wiring.

I really want to max my yields, been hitting my head against a wall it feels like. Then I had an epiphany. There has to be other manufactures of double ended 1000 set ups...maybe someone makes an air cooled one...so I spent a couple hours yesterday researching and educating myself. This is what I came up with.

1000 Watt HPS DE Boss - Complete System

DE (Double Ended) fixtures offer several advantages over traditional single ended (or "mogul-base") fixtures, including significantly longer lamp life (the light output doesn't degrade as quickly as it does with conventional lamps), higher PAR (plant-usable light) and lumen output, and no shading due to the wire frame used in conventional HPS lamps. You will absolutely notice an increase in plant growth and yield and you will actually save money over time because you will be purchasing replacement lamps less frequently.

These lighting systems come complete with everything you need to grow plants indoors, including the bulb, ballast, reflector, socket assembly, 15' lamp cord, wire hooks for hanging reflector and instructions. They are pre-wired and take only a couple of minutes to setup.

PRICE AS CONFIGURED: $479.94
Your Chosen Reflector*
1 x DE Boss Double Ended Reflector +$176.41
Choose Your Ballast*

Galaxy DE Select-A-Watt 600/750/875/1000/1150 - 120/240 Volt +$198.82

Nanolux Remote DE Digital 1200/1000/825/750/660/600W 240V Ballast +$224.95
Qty:
Choose Your Lamp*

DigiMax Double Ended 1000 Watt Lamp +$58.76

Ushio Double Ended Lamp - AHS-DE 1000 Opti Red +$85.88

Ushio Double Ended Lamp - AHS-DE 1000W / PRO-PLUS +$104.71

Gavita Pro 1000 Watt 400 Volt EL Double Ended Lamp +$87.05

Gavita Pro Plus 1000 Watt 400 Volt EL Double Ended Lamp +$123.99

MH 1000 watt Bulb - Solis Tek Double Ended - 4K +$118.46

MH 1000 watt Bulb - Solis Tek Double Ended - 6K +$118.46
Qty:
Optional - add a 10K MH Finishing Lamp

1 x MH 1000 watt Bulb - Solis Tek Double Ended - 10K +$118.46
Optional - Choose Your Accessories

1 x Rope Ratchet Light Hanger - 1/8" Pair +$8.56

1 x Lamp and Reflector Cleaning Cloth +$2.34

1 x Titan Controls Apollo 4 - 120 Volt Ballast Timer +$57.59

1 x Titan Controls Apollo 5 - 240 Volt Ballast Timer +$61.12
Optional - add a Reflector to Ballast Extension Cord

1 x Reflector-to-Ballast Extension Cord - 10 ft - 16 Gauge +$9.99

1 x Reflector-to-Ballast Extension Cord - 25 ft - 16 Gauge +$22.84

1 x Reflector-to-Ballast Extension Cord - 50 ft - 14 Gauge +$42.13
* Required Fields
PRICE AS CONFIGURED: $479.94

For under $500 I can get a 120 volt, air cooled, complete set up. This will be mine.

:thumb:

Even with the fixture being air cooled your ceiling height might be pretty restrictive. I think the double ended stuff is great but everyone that I see running the 1000 watt de's with less than 8 ft ceilings are having troubles. Not saying it's not possible either just wanted to throw it out there.
Cheers josh223, been awhile but I remember your name from when I used to frequent. Hope all is well bro.

Looking awesome in here

Hmm...54 likes. I feel a little disturbed. Either I did something okay, or I messed something up and some one is offended.

Either or, I owe some pics. Sorry that that won't happen tonight.

I've got some stuff dry, others in various stages of curing. Really busy now trying to button up for winter. Pics tomorrow...?

Something okay Josh

Here's some pics of the dried Marion Berry Kush's nugs. They've been curing for about 1 1/2 week.

DSCN30425.JPG
DSCN30436.JPG
DSCN30446.JPG

That big girl yielded just over 40 grams dried. I thought it was going to be twice that much. Looking at the amount of space she took up, I'm thinking I'll stay with the 2 liter Hempys. I need to construct a drainage table. That may be a good winter project for me.

I've been trimming for about two weeks now. Aside from two mystery plants I don't have anything ripening for about a month from now. However, I did discover three Royal Purple Kushes in the mystery mix. I took their tops and am attempting to reveg the. Only time will tell.

In about a week I'm going to attempt to flower out my Holy Grail Mother. She's getting to big and root bound. At work I made some custom cages to support her. I'd throw her into flowering now but I want to know 100% that I'll have viable clones to make a new mama. She also looks like she's got a magnesium deficiency. I think I'll put her in a smart pot and trellis her after I get some promix.

The friend that gave me the mystery plants and the Marion Berry made a seed order. He gave me a freebie Humbolt Seed Organization femmed 707 Truth Band. I'm pretty excited. She's already germinated.

I have so many strains right now, six OG strains now. I'm going to start narrowing them down. Right now the first on the list to go would be Blue Blood. I really liked the first pheno I had but this one is different. I mean, there's nothing really wrong with it. Smells and tastes like piney, fuely blueberries. But it just doesn't seem as strong as the first. I can chain smoke three bowls of it and not feel too much. That Marion Berry is a whole nother storey. 2-3 hits and I forget what I'm doing.

I also have Dinafem's OG Kush, DNA Genetic's The OG #18, and Reserva Privada's Florida Og. The later, AKA Triangle Kush, AKA Crippy is supposed to be the origional. I expect it to be hard to grow and being a low yielder. CCH recommends Dinafem's and I trust his judgement. I've had my eye on OG #18 for a couple of years. I bought all three knowing one or two would be culled.

:Namaste:

Thanks L.A. I'm a bit of a strain whore I suppose. >a month before I order the air-cooled double-ended setup. Still not willing to invest in LED. Any rate, my current ventilation should be able to stand up to the test. I'm looking for shorter internode lengths. More weight would also be nice.

:thumb:

+reps on some stellar looking nugs. My friend ran the og#18 for a year or so and it was definitely nice flowers and good looking on the plant. Which air cooled double ended reflector are you going to use? Just curious, you may have told me but I'm a ra-tard after a long day and a few schnapps.

+reps on some stellar looking nugs. My friend ran the og#18 for a year or so and it was definitely nice flowers and good looking on the plant. Which air cooled double ended reflector are you going to use? Just curious, you may have told me but I'm a ra-tard after a long day and a few schnapps.

I don't want to give a link because it's not from a sponsor site. I'm looking at a Lighthouse brand 8" Double ended smart-cool reflector. With winter upon me currently my lights on temp is in the very low 70's F with 600 watts.

Back
Top Bottom