Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

When I started my very first grow indoors, I couldn't figure out why I continued to get nanners on my favorite strain! After diligently searching for light leaks and continued research online, one day I went to close up the door of my room after the lights were out and there it was sitting right in the middle of my plants.......a red glow from my electric heater!! Boy, did I feel stupid! But at the same time I was really happy I figured out the damn problem LOL

Hello, I would love to follow along on this journey with all of you.

You are most welcome to follow along and comment. I like company :)

When I started my very first grow indoors, I couldn't figure out why I continued to get nanners on my favorite strain! After diligently searching for light leaks and continued research online, one day I went to close up the door of my room after the lights were out and there it was sitting right in the middle of my plants.......a red glow from my electric heater!! Boy, did I feel stupid! But at the same time I was really happy I figured out the damn problem LOL

Starting out revealing a mistake - nice move - and good story. :rofl:

My biggest stupidity/stubornness was on my second grow where I refused to PH my water down to 7.4 and overwatered so badly I grew a bunch of spindly palm trees - for months.

So far, this grow is taking about 5 minutes a day - I will be doing fertlizer and foliar feedings soon, which will take up more time.

I've decided I will be running 4 plants in a veg room and 4 plants in a bloom room. Cloning all 8 plants before they move from veg to bloom.

- - -

I think it's about time to top these girls. The lower nodes are startng to grow branches.

Any suggestings on how many main branches to grow out? 4 - 6 - 8 ?

I always shoot for twelve tops. It seems to consistently work out that way. At least eight.

Congrats on retirement Rad. :high-five: May you adjust easier than I did, if I've adjusted. :laughtwo: The days I put in 16 hours researching and posting I ask myself what the hell I think this hobby is. Lol! I apparently have issues with not being productive that I've yet to shake. You run at a slower, more laid-back speed than I do I think. You're gonna enjoy these years. I'm having the time of my life.

Hey there Rad... retirement, nice and congrats. I guess you already figured out its more work than actually "working".... just less pay. :lot-o-toke:

I'm right there wit ya! Just gotta KIG brother and your doing fine!

Basement floors of concrete... meh. Seems to me the concrete sucks the life out of plants... my experience. Just need some insulation/vapor barrier or some sealer. I use my 1910 house basement for growing but nothing on the cement floor at all.

Once you get down to a certain level below grade the soil is a constant temperature, which is too low for proper root growth for Cannabis, IMHO .. Comfrey on the other hand seems to be able to handle it.

Currently I'm doing a sort of flood and ....leave the plants soak up the water. I'm very surprised at the amount of water uptake when plants are left to their own devices.

So yeah looking good there on the little ones... they look GREAT.

I've done a lot of experimenting with topping and FIMing so I'll be very interested in "how" you ultimately make the decision when you do this topping. I have some stains that seem to do great with 10 or more tops but my favorite strain seems to do better with only 4....the drum roll has started :thumb:

Hey there Rad... retirement, nice and congrats. I guess you already figured out its more work than actually "working".... just less pay. :lot-o-toke:

I'm right there wit ya! Just gotta KIG brother and your doing fine!

Basement floors of concrete... meh. Seems to me the concrete sucks the life out of plants... my experience. Just need some insulation/vapor barrier or some sealer. I use my 1910 house basement for growing but nothing on the cement floor at all.

Once you get down to a certain level below grade the soil is a constant temperature, which is too low for proper root growth for Cannabis, IMHO .. Comfrey on the other hand seems to be able to handle it.

Currently I'm doing a sort of flood and ....leave the plants soak up the water. I'm very surprised at the amount of water uptake when plants are left to their own devices.

So yeah looking good there on the little ones... they look GREAT.

I played with the tape measure and decided on 2 side-by-side (4x6') floor-to-ceiling stalls. The new walls will be OSB framed with 2x4 studs. I need to shift one power outlet, and paint some brick walls, but the job will be mostly working with the wood. My only saws right now are hand saws and battery operated, so ripping the OSB might take awhile :)

After finding myself scrambling for a place off the concreete to set down watering buckets, my cloner, etc., I decided the best solution would be to add a 3/4" OSB deck on 2x4 studs as a (6x8') floor above the concrete floor. I'm thinking of laying the studs flat to create a 2" air gap on 12" centers. I'll still use the cofffee table for the veg girls, but figure I can safely put everything else on simple trays on the wood deck.

This upgrade will run a little over $100 for the lumber. I'm planning on air compressor driven staples for OSB-to-stud and sheetrock screws for stud-to-stud and stud-to-rafter joints. I haven't tried my little nailer on OSB. I hope it's up to the job.

I'm planning to roll white primer paint on the walls.

I say go 8 main branches and make a nice ring. :goodjob: :love: :Namaste:

I always shoot for twelve tops. It seems to consistently work out that way. At least eight.

Congrats on retirement Rad. :high-five: May you adjust easier than I did, if I've adjusted. :laughtwo: The days I put in 16 hours researching and posting I ask myself what the hell I think this hobby is. Lol! I apparently have issues with not being productive that I've yet to shake. You run at a slower, more laid-back speed than I do I think. You're gonna enjoy these years. I'm having the time of my life.

I feel slow and laid back - but my blood pressure was through the roof this evening after a day out in public. It's been in the higher than normal range (untreated) all my life. Maybe it was the lack of house work today :) Whatever the cause, I'm ready to talk to a doctor about blood pressure control. Then again, I smoked for the first time in a long time yesterday and my blood pressure was down 15-20 points from my normal into what is considered a good/normal range.

I've done a lot of experimenting with topping and FIMing so I'll be very interested in "how" you ultimately make the decision when you do this topping. I have some stains that seem to do great with 10 or more tops but my favorite strain seems to do better with only 4....the drum roll has started :thumb:

I have branches starting on the lower nodes, so I think I will do a simpe top to see if I can force the energy lower to feed 6 or 8 branches. If I feel lucky, I might later top 6 established branches on one girl to get up to 12 branches.

My first grow was all 4-6 branches with 2-2.5 oz per plant.. My biggest yielding plant was shaped like a hedge where I supercropped the leader down to the same level as the rest of the 'hedge.' She came in at about 9 oz. For this current set of 4 plants, I'm hoping for 3-4 oz each. I think I can expect more yield than my first grow based on better genetics, better environmental control, and my observation that these are the healthiest seedlings I've grown - with up to 4x the foliage and more apparent vigor compared to my first grow :circle-of-love:

About the blood pressure - mine is almost always high normal. I was under the impression that cannabis raises it. At what point after smoking did yours drop? I've never measured mine after smoking. Maybe it's time for another experiment! :thumb:
Yeah, me too, I'm high as well. When I smoke, rather take a massive hit and then hold my breath and release, I inhale a slow and long hit and then immediately slowly breathe it out. No holding my breath. It works great for me. Some trip on it, but I just don't like holding my breath. Not healthy I believe. It's just me.

Bumble's Humble Hive! It's Alive

Peaceful blazing

About the blood pressure - mine is almost always high normal. I was under the impression that cannabis raises it. At what point after smoking did yours drop? I've never measured mine after smoking. Maybe it's time for another experiment! :thumb:

I threw away the digital blood pressure monitor. It was a finger cuff and I managed to get 3 different readings spanning 40 points inside of 20 minutes.

I'm going back to manual blood pressure checks.

When did I think my blood pressure was lower? About an hour after I smoked :)

Yeah, me too, I'm high as well. When I smoke, rather take a massive hit and then hold my breath and release, I inhale a slow and long hit and then immediately slowly breathe it out. No holding my breath. It works great for me. Some trip on it, but I just don't like holding my breath. Not healthy I believe. It's just me.

Peaceful blazing ��

This is actually the proper way to smoke. I don't know where we got the idea that we needed to hold our breath, but I smoked like that for decades. Now I inhale and slowly exhale, then follow with a slow breath of just air.

Rad, cannabis works much better for blood pressure control than many of the prescribed meds, and comes with none of the side effects. Let me do some research and see what I can learn about dosages, but I'm fairly certain it can be controlled with micro dosing, which would suit you perfectly, wouldn't it?

We used to experiment with the blood pressure readings and smoking. Dale's invariably came down right after smoking. There is a caution about smoking and exercising, and it has to do with higher blood pressure concerns thought to be caused by the constriction caused by smoking, but I don't know if there's any real data to back that up. I know when I get righteously blazed and then slip into my Callanetics routine it's more beneficial all 'round vs the sessions when I'm straight - though thinking about it, the last time I was straight was when I was in Phoenix in early Feb. :laughtwo:

What I learned in my brief tumble through the Internet was that cannabis is a vasodilator, so when you begin to use it to regulate bp you need to be aware that it will elevate your heart rate. This will quickly change as the body adapts to the regular administration. It appears a number of individuals have seen consistent improvement and maintenance of their blood pressure through a regular regimine of cannabis. The greatest success I came across in my brief journey was with capsules, 4 a day.

If you decide to do this Rad, the rules remain the same - start with a very low dose and increase slowly. For blood pressure control the secret appears to be setting a schedule for multiple daily doses and sticking to that schedule, the same as you'd do with prescribed drugs. You're working for a consistent level in the system.

Do see your doctor about it though. If there's a problem that needs attention you want to be alert to it. You just retired. We want you around a few more decades to enjoy it. I'd try cannabis first, but that's me.

What I learned in my brief tumble through the Internet was that cannabis is a vasodilator, so when you begin to use it to regulate bp you need to be aware that it will elevate your heart rate. This will quickly change as the body adapts to the regular administration. It appears a number of individuals have seen consistent improvement and maintenance of their blood pressure through a regular regimine of cannabis. The greatest success I came across in my brief journey was with capsules, 4 a day.

If you decide to do this Rad, the rules remain the same - start with a very low dose and increase slowly. For blood pressure control the secret appears to be setting a schedule for multiple daily doses and sticking to that schedule, the same as you'd do with prescribed drugs. You're working for a consistent level in the system.

Do see your doctor about it though. If there's a problem that needs attention you want to be alert to it. You just retired. We want you around a few more decades to enjoy it. I'd try cannabis first, but that's me.

No problem. My heart rate is usually in the 60s with no history of regular, formal exercize.

I will start on setting up the weight room this week. Plans are to add a ceiling (1/4" OSB stapled to rafters.) Add a light switch at the doorway controlling 2 newly installed overhead lights. Also build a large wooden box over the oil tank in the corner (1/2" OSB and 2x4s.) The box will include a door for storage and a power outlet for music, TV, DVD player, etc. on top of the box.

I think the family epectations are a bit high for the room. I was all in favor of adding a treadmill and/or a stationary bike to The Balrog (1/2 ton of weights, machine, and bench) and the heavy bag. Today my wife mentioned yoga mat. I'm now concerned about space.

First steps first - clean out the room, install the wood, and paint everything. Then I will reassemble The Balrog and we will see what else fits.

- - -

The study on capsules might just be because that is what drug companies wanted to study. Are we talking capsules of leaves or flowers here?

I might take up smoking again after we get a harvest. That has been part of my retirement plan since the 70s :)

Peaceful blazing

Oh yeah, when I hit I do take a few deep breaths before and then fill my lungs 2/3 and rest with air, then slowly exhale. No coughing that way. Also you can take deeper breaths when you breathe with your muscles right under collarbone. Just put a finger on them and try to push it. I've been learning that few months. No regrets. Cheers! :love: :Namaste:

Oh yeah, when I hit I do take a few deep breaths before and then fill my lungs 2/3 and rest with air, then slowly exhale. No coughing that way. Also you can take deeper breaths when you breathe with your muscles right under collarbone. Just put a finger on them and try to push it. I've been learning that few months. No regrets. Cheers! :love: :Namaste:
Ahhh. Yeah, before, when I held that hit, I would get headaches, rushes, and my heart would rapidly increase in rhythms after each hit. Then the coughing! And I'd pass it along and the next guy, and he'd do the same thing! Lol. An old Hippie pulled me aside awhile back after hacking up a lung from taking a hit, and said "Man, your doing that all wrong. Your hurting yourself, not good. Just breathe it in and breathe it back out. Easy peasy, lemon squeezey."! Within a month, no more hacking, brief headaches or rushes, and no thinking I'm gonna die after hitting a joint. Just a killer buzz...

Peaceful blazing

Back
Top Bottom