Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Four Weeks After Planting Seeds

Four weeks after planting the seeds, I am :)very happy :) with the progress. In the past, my largest struggles have been with the 'young child' age; my 3 to 10" girls have been slow to grow out of their skinny, gangly phase. These girls are under 4" tall, going straight from toddlers to short adults. They :love: love :love: the Doc Bud soil, even before the drenches and the foliar feedings start.

My little grow table.

20161104_161526.jpg

Amherst Sour Diesel

20161104_161635-1.jpg

AK47 XTRM - The leaves are fatter than when they started

20161104_161658-1.jpg

Buddha's Gift

20161104_161739-1.jpg

Borderliner

20161104_161751-1.jpg

I am very excited to see branches starting at the first and second true nodes.

Amherst Sour Diesel

20161104_161426-1.jpg

AK47 XTRM

20161104_161359-1.jpg

Hah! Doc sends little fake plastic seedling plants now, too - didn't know that! :hmmmm:

Purdy!

It would be relatively effortless to add a 4 foot row of white clover under the grow lights. I have a single Russian Comfrey in the back yard with 4 large leaves. I was thinking of propogating in the next 2 weeks to bring some of it indoors. Do you have a favorite method for propagating from a relatively small comfrey plant?

Cover crops for worms and soil 100% home run.. Comfrey.. they need a DEEP soil. The Russian Bocking 14 the only way to propagate that is to take root cuttings. Be careful with that, you will not be able to get rid of it if you have too much. I bought 4 root sets a few years ago and get plenty of plant material to harvest thru-out the year and it grows well into winter. It's very hardy but it requires a deep root system. I wouldn't bring it into a container. You won't see the benefit IMHO.

You outdoor Comfrey plant will take off next spring. You'll see. We harvested early spring all summer and I'm getting ready to do another cutting down to the crown here in a few days, 5-6 full harvests this year. I fill the worm bin and in 4-5 days its all broken down and gone. If I didn't see it happen I wouldn't believe it. Its truly amazing, those worms are something special and they LOVE Comfrey.

I've been no-till for quite a while .. last run was my change to new soil in 3 years. I'm thinking about after harvest do amendments and cover crops and skip a round with that pot of soil. So go every other round with cannabis and amend and cover crops in between.

Reason I'm thinking of doing this is for yields. We were getting low yields or lower yields in the no-tills. Figured that out last run!

My previous neighborhood had many growers. At least 3 within 1 block. Dozens within easy walking district. We were one of very few state legal growers in town. This new town is NOT grower friendly. ... Stealth is the word, is the word that you heard, it's got groove it's got meaning ...

Right on Rad... I've got local growers in my neighborhood too... they will not look kindly towards "competition". Stealth supreme. Even tho I'm not in competition for sure it's a cruel world.. I can't wait until I'm in a 100% legal state.

Don't forget to vote people. There's a few ballot initiatives worth voting on even if the rest of the lot is BS.

Looking good Rad! Some tight node spacing.

:passitleft:

Yes! I was thinking the same thing - but thought it might just be me being a proud papa.

Cover crops for worms and soil 100% home run.. Comfrey.. they need a DEEP soil. The Russian Bocking 14 the only way to propagate that is to take root cuttings. Be careful with that, you will not be able to get rid of it if you have too much. I bought 4 root sets a few years ago and get plenty of plant material to harvest thru-out the year and it grows well into winter. It's very hardy but it requires a deep root system. I wouldn't bring it into a container. You won't see the benefit IMHO.

You outdoor Comfrey plant will take off next spring. You'll see. We harvested early spring all summer and I'm getting ready to do another cutting down to the crown here in a few days, 5-6 full harvests this year. I fill the worm bin and in 4-5 days its all broken down and gone. If I didn't see it happen I wouldn't believe it. Its truly amazing, those worms are something special and they LOVE Comfrey.

I went out and looked at the comfrey plant - I only planted it in September. It must have been growing roots since freed of it's 2" wide by 6" deep pot. In the last 3 weeks it has tripled in size to about eight 12" long leaves.

I've been no-till for quite a while .. last run was my change to new soil in 3 years. I'm thinking about after harvest do amendments and cover crops and skip a round with that pot of soil. So go every other round with cannabis and amend and cover crops in between.

Reason I'm thinking of doing this is for yields. We were getting low yields or lower yields in the no-tills. Figured that out last run!

With my last attempt at organic no-till, I had a good 2nd and 3rd runs, but after about a year the soil health had faded. I was adding worm castings but not doing all the foliar and IPM you do.

I was thinking that your last 4 months were less yield (although real beauties.) I was sort of hoping it was a difference in the strains you were growing. There is no shame in starting over with new soil in pots. It's not like you can maintain a deep reservoir of nutrients like the outside world.

I'm moving slightly away from my dreams of indoor'closed loop'gardening. There might be something in tilapia and flood table gardening but when I think of the Sepp Holzer's and Masunoba Fukuoka's of this world I realize they were younger men with 50 years ahead of them when they began seriously exploring their growing ideas. So I'm sitting at the feet of Doc Bud to learn enough about the principles of Hi-Brix to decide what place it has in my indoor and outdoor growing. I'm starting to get a feel for the science behind the method. By harvest, I should know about the work effort and ongoing expense involved.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do with your new soil.

:theband:

I got clones, they're multiplying
and growing out of control
'Cause the lights, I'm supplying
It's electrifying!
:volcano-smiley:

You better vape up, 'cause you need a high
And my weed is grown for you
You better vape up, you better understand
That my weed grows strong and true
:ganjamon:

I've got the weed that you want
Oo Oo Oo
Oo Oo Oo
Oo Oo Oo
:volcano-smiley:

I use to despise watching grease with the wife. Now I have something to look forward to next time she wants to watch it. Thanks!

Thought I'd pop in and say hello. Always good stuff going on around here.

Cheers!

Rad, so are you surrounding that chair with speakers? Looks like that 80s Maxell commercial.

It's a 1000W Onkyo 7.1 TV surround sound system that I hadn't used in 12 years. It was time to use it or lose it. I need to decide how to suspend the speakers spread around the room.

Same story with the chair and the lamp. I wanted to buy an end table at auction, but they were auctioning the recliner with no bids so the auctioneer threw in the end table I wanted and lamp I didn't want to sweeten the bid. $4 for all three. I was going to leave the chair and lamp, but I love a good reading lamp and I sat in the recliner with it's iron-on patches on he arms and it felt so darn comfortable - that I it was use it or lose it time. So now I have a place to sit and type this - and a lamp to read an actual paper book :)

Yesterday, I posted :
The leaves may look a bit droopy, because I am still leaf spreading to tighten up the nodes.

It seems there was a little more to it.

Today, I noticed the cotyledn leaves yellowing on ll 3 seedlings and the first pair of true leaves yellowing on AK47 XTRM.
32 days after watering soil and planting seeds, my seedlings had their first watering. (Doc Bud 4ml transplant split between 3 plants in 1 gal containers.)

AK47 XTRM with bottom leaves drooping and yellowing .

20161109_122426-1.jpg

It's a 1000W Onkyo 7.1 TV surround sound system that I hadn't used in 12 years. It was time to use it or lose it. I need to decide how to suspend the speakers spread around the room.

I hear ya. When I finally made some money at 20yr I decided to buy a nice surround system. Found this small home theater business that had several rooms of Monitor Audio speakers. Sat in all the rooms and listend, it was fun. I bought a full set. When my wife and I bought our house I had to bring her to my parents so she could see these boxes of speakers, which were paid for. That was in 2000. I didn't have all of my system together until 2011. I finished my basement literally around my speakers. Took awhile but the wait was worth it.

Yesterday, I posted :

Today, I noticed the cotyledn leaves yellowing on ll 3 seedlings and the first pair of true leaves yellowing on AK47 XTRM.
32 days after watering soil and planting seeds, my seedlings had their first watering. (Doc Bud 4ml transplant split between 3 plants in 1 gal containers.)

20161109_122426-1.jpg

Dunno about that droop. Is your humidity cool? In both of my runs it took awhile for my cotys to yellow and fall. So this pic was taken just after a water, right? A dunk water?

I hear ya. When I finally made some money at 20yr I decided to buy a nice surround system. Found this small home theater business that had several rooms of Monitor Audio speakers. Sat in all the rooms and listend, it was fun. I bought a full set. When my wife and I bought our house I had to bring her to my parents so she could see these boxes of speakers, which were paid for. That was in 2000. I didn't have all of my system together until 2011. I finished my basement literally around my speakers. Took awhile but the wait was worth it.

My first pair of speakers was from a scratch and dent sale in the 70s. All there was in the 70s stereo, so I went around he room and picked out a pair of 4 ohm 100W 10"' + 5" + tweeter and reflex port with rheostat adjustable crossovers connected to a measured 35W per channel pre-amp. 35W doesn't sound like much, but distortion was virtually non-existent and the speakers were efficient enough that they really cranked. Enough to fill a 2000 sq ft house to loud party level.

2 months later I bought a front loading cassette player that I found really cool. You placed the castte flat against the turning wheels on the front of the player. When you removed your hand, the heads popped up and the tape started playing. When you reached to grab the cassette, laser sensors detected your fingers and the tape heads retracted so you could pick up the cassette. I used to grab a cassette while half asleep on my waterbed and slap it into position to start my day.

I'm not an audiofile, just a mediocre musician with a good ear.

Dunno about that droop. Is your humidity cool? In both of my runs it took awhile for my cotys to yellow and fall. So this pic was taken just after a water, right? A dunk water?

The photo was before watering - after weeks of no additional water. I want to make the roots work for their water - but not at the expense of leaves :)

Humidity has been mostly 40-60%. It has been getting down to 50 degrees at night.

Yesterday, I posted :

20161109_122426-1.jpg

Night temps are low.....time for a strong GE drench too, but get the night temps up around 69 degrees.

Night temps are low.....time for a strong GE drench too, but get the night temps up around 69 degrees.
I was wondering about those night temps. I believe Sativas can deal with a cool night better than Indica, but a plant is cold blooded in a sense, right? Low temps can starve and kill. Especially the soil, eh? So, I've moved my tent to accommodate the environment. Glad to hear your dealing with the same sorta issue there rad. I was battling with a 12 volt heater, kept crapping out the fuse soooo, Ventless wall unit with optional stand, gas or lp, with thermostat, 200 bones with 2 year replacement plan. Home depot
420-magazine-mobile244684455.jpg
It's summertime in that tent!

Peaceful blazing

My 4x4 bloom room is below ground and lined with concrete block, and even with 1000 watts of lighting I have to heat it in the winter. I was startled by how much difference the temperature makes. Plants grow MUCH faster in the lower 80s than they do in the lower 70s.

And soil temperature is surprising too. Outside, the soil is typically in the 60s. Inside it needs to be higher for some reason.

My 4x4 bloom room is below ground and lined with concrete block, and even with 1000 watts of lighting I have to heat it in the winter. I was startled by how much difference the temperature makes. Plants grow MUCH faster in the lower 80s than they do in the lower 70s.

And soil temperature is surprising too. Outside, the soil is typically in the 60s. Inside it needs to be higher for some reason.

I also have to run a heater. Lows right now are at 68 but cooler temps are coming. Wish I never allowed that oil heater to get thrown away.

Back
Top Bottom