Radogast's Hi-Brix Basement Grow - New Location - New Soil - New Experiences

Hi Jaga. Nice to have you here. Welcome :love:

I did a search for low potassium compost - hoping for some tips on low potassium worm food - and came across a story on the High Brix Gardening (TM) website on why compost should be used only when needed - just like other tools. I liked their less is more approach.

On of the main things they do on the website is soil tests and ammendment recommendations. This made me think, is there a best way to go about a soil test and HiBrix recommendations for my back yard. The back yard is a living worm farm, at least one worm per trowelful when I dig for a new plant. I'm split between saying everything is fine, and getting a soil test before I plant veggies, flowers, and vines in the spring.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Since I have to shift my worm feeding routine, I'm wondering about growing cover crops indoors this winter just for the worms.

It would be relatively effortless to add a 4 foot row of white clover under the grow lights. I have a single Russian Comfrey in the back yard with 4 large leaves. I was thinking of propogating in the next 2 weeks to bring some of it indoors. Do you have a favorite method for propagating from a relatively small comfrey plant?

If you ever get around to soil testing, please contact me. Testing drenches, foliars....I've got all of it and not just for our favorite plants.

Is that how you keep them alive? I always toss them into my grow room when I find them, but they seem to die off pretty quickly.

I've read that ladybugs will eat rehydrated grapes or honey when they don't have critters to eat. No personal experience with ladybugs indoors.

Ladybugs wet swarming by the dozens at the aucion today. 75 degrees and sunny after 3 days of low 60s and overcast.

Hey Rad. Just cruising through and getting caught up. Love all the technical talk over here. Very informative. When are you getting some new glass. I loved looking at your collection in your other journal.

Cheers Rad.
:roorrip:

Hey Noob4x4 !

Glass shops are a little more under the covers in my new location. They are out there, but they don't advertise - so it's a word of mouth thing. I actually got a lead on 2 glass shops last week.

We may not be buying glass soon. All but 2-3 pieces are still packed away from the move. Until we get a bar/display cabinet set up, there's no point in increasing inventory.

There was major progress on unpacking today. I finished freshening the wife's office (originally the parlor): wood floors scrubbed, new paint on walls, and wood trim around window frames, door frame, and baseboards were removed, sanded, varnished, and re-installed. Furniture was placed in position and the wife start moving in things that have been scattered all around the ground floor. I'm very pleased with the refresh job. The dried blood colored walls were depressing. Pink makes a better background for our occult and eclectic decor :)

Lately, while looking for unique furniture, we have done most of our shopping at auctions. Although a Playboy centerfold from the 70s showed up at an auction on Saturday, 420 glass would be way too edgy for this area. We picked up an end table and tumbled stones for the girl, a 1920s race themed stein and Union Jack for the boy, a treadmill for me, a 4 prong skull for the wife, and cement animals for the garden.

Halloween was a success: Dressed in a cosmic wizard robe and wearing my jackalope hat, I gave away 5 bags of candy and about 200 toys in 3 hours. It was at a relaxed and pleasant pace. The neighbors across the street spent 10 days preparing their front yard and porch. With the dramatic lighting, circus music punctuated by screams and moans, and carefully staged giveaway - they sent several middle and high school kids yelling and running in terror. We had front row seats :)

I selected a few seeds for non-420 indoor gardening last night. Between work, housework and feeding roving packs of demons I didn't get any seeds in the ground today. The environmentals have been steady in the 60s.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

A seed is born

Borderliner, planted 7 days ago, decided to poke through soil today.

Morning

20161101_115911-1.jpg

Mid-day

20161101_160123-1.jpg

Night

20161101_232022-1.jpg

I found 3 ladybugs in the bathroom yesterday.

AK47 XTRM already had a ladybug

20161101_092007-1.jpg

Ladybug on Amherst Sour Diesel (with cap of honey below.)

20161101_113339-1.jpg

Although I dropped off a ladybug on each of the plants, they all went towards the AK47 XTRM

20161101_120132-1.jpg

The ladybugs have been ignoring the honey in the bottle cap, but I found a way to feed them.
See Radogast's Non-420 Garden Creation Thread

Hey Noob4x4 !

Glass shops are a little more under the covers in my new location. They are out there, but they don't advertise - so it's a word of mouth thing. I actually got a lead on 2 glass shops last week.

We may not be buying glass soon. All but 2-3 pieces are still packed away from the move. Until we get a bar/display cabinet set up, there's no point in increasing inventory.

There was major progress on unpacking today. I finished freshening the wife's office (originally the parlor): wood floors scrubbed, new paint on walls, and wood trim around window frames, door frame, and baseboards were removed, sanded, varnished, and re-installed. Furniture was placed in position and the wife start moving in things that have been scattered all around the ground floor. I'm very pleased with the refresh job. The dried blood colored walls were depressing. Pink makes a better background for our occult and eclectic decor :)

Lately, while looking for unique furniture, we have done most of our shopping at auctions. Although a Playboy centerfold from the 70s showed up at an auction on Saturday, 420 glass would be way too edgy for this area. We picked up an end table and tumbled stones for the girl, a 1920s race themed stein and Union Jack for the boy, a treadmill for me, a 4 prong skull for the wife, and cement animals for the garden.

Halloween was a success: Dressed in a cosmic wizard robe and wearing my jackalope hat, I gave away 5 bags of candy and about 200 toys in 3 hours. It was at a relaxed and pleasant pace. The neighbors across the street spent 10 days preparing their front yard and porch. With the dramatic lighting, circus music punctuated by screams and moans, and carefully staged giveaway - they sent several middle and high school kids yelling and running in terror. We had front row seats :)

I selected a few seeds for non-420 indoor gardening last night. Between work, housework and feeding roving packs of demons I didn't get any seeds in the ground today. The environmentals have been steady in the 60s.

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Very cool. I hope your two leads pan out. I'm glad you and Mrs. Rad are settling in and becoming a part of the community. I bet your neighbors love you as much as the members do on this site.

Cheers Rad

Very cool. I hope your two leads pan out. I'm glad you and Mrs. Rad are settling in and becoming a part of the community. I bet your neighbors love you as much as the members do on this site.

Cheers Rad

This is BY FAR the friendliest neighborhood I have lived in. We'll see how they feel when the newbie honeymoon is over :)

Boy oh boy, if I happened on a new grower neighbor I would sure be friendly!

My previous neighborhood had many growers. At least 3 within 1 block. Dozens within easy walking district. We were one of very few state legal growers in town. This new town is NOT grower friendly. ... Stealth is the word, is the word that you heard, it's got groove it's got meaning ...

...hopelessly devoted to weed...:party::tommy:

:theband: ...better shape up, cause I need a plant, that can keep me satisfied...

Hey, you started it.

:theband:
Smokin' reefer had me a blast
Smokin' reefer happened so fast
I grew a girl crazy for me
Made a flower cute as can be
Smoking days drifting away
but oh oh the smokin' nights

:theband:

I got clones, they're multiplying
and growing out of control
'Cause the lights, I'm supplying
It's electrifying!
:volcano-smiley:

You better vape up, 'cause you need a high
And my weed is grown for you
You better vape up, you better understand
That my weed grows strong and true
:ganjamon:

I've got the weed that you want
Oo Oo Oo
Oo Oo Oo
Oo Oo Oo
:volcano-smiley:

:adore: I bow to your song re-writing skills master! :Namaste:

It's not a competition Rabbit!

I used to be a poet in a virtual reality. Wrote a poem a day for a year, in different styles and read them aloud to an audience in a weekly poetry hour (along with dozens of other poems submitted by the audience.)

Then I tried my hand at rewriting song lyrics - - I was fine through Halloween and Thanksgiving, Then one foggy Christmas week, Santa came to play. After rewriting a dozen carols to mention a dozen different sexual fetishes, I decided I better give up on modifying song lyrics :) I had to find a special online virtual location to sing those songs of XXXmas. My personal lesson, never trust the mind of a man in a top hat.

- - The plants look gorgeous today, but I'll make you all wait a few more days for photos that are worthy.

- - I fed the worms cardboard today. I wonder how they will respond to the switch away from high pottasium bannana peels,

Netherworms of Life
make food from what's no longer.
The cycle renews

:Namaste:

Along came the wigglers
Along came the reds
All these worms
to help with my meds

Giggity

I like having worms. Easy to grow.
Such odd phrased posts, I hope I don't show
... off

The bounce of my drivel, files me with woe.
and curdles my stomach, I hope I don't throw
... up.

Netherworms of Life
make food from what's no longer.
The cycle renews

:Namaste:

Poetic dance with
Izanami-No-Kami.
Very zen.

Back
Top Bottom