Scooby's 1st grow - LED

Thank for everyone who's sitting in. I've read a good number of your grows and am probably lurking on a few others as we speak.

SS - looking forward to your comparison of the 2 LED's.

Had hoped to re-pot this weekend but didn't have enough soil. Got the 4 bigger girls done today. Back left BlackBerry#2 (Jamie) back right BB#1 (Irene) front left Wonderwoman (Linda) and front right LA Woman (Jennifer).

Light is sitting at just about 12" above the tops. I've been watering them every other day although I think they could've taken one every day in the small cups.

Got my first whiff today. nothing huge but mmmmmmmm.
UP-10-19.jpg

UP-10-19-2.jpg

UP-10-19-2-3.jpg

UP-10-19-2-4.jpg

So Scoobs, did you mail order them seeds? to usa? if so whered ya get em?

I have seeds come from amsterdam all the time,right to my house,they are bubblepacked in little manilla envelope that just has an address on it,no name or anything.:surf:

So Scoobs, did you mail order them seeds? to usa? if so whered ya get em?

Sorry I missed this question MB. Got them through Attitude seeds (think they are a sponsor here). Forget which one of their sites exactly, they have a few. yes to us. i bought a t-shirt and they guaranteed delivery.

Had hoped to re-pot this weekend but didn't have enough soil. Got the 4 bigger girls done today. Back left BlackBerry#2 (Jamie) back right BB#1 (Irene) front left Wonderwoman (Linda) and front right LA Woman (Jennifer).

Light is sitting at just about 12" above the tops. I've been watering them every other day although I think they could've taken one every day in the small cups.

The plants seem to be growing rather nicely.

It's too bad you couldn't keep them in smaller pots to keep the little gals closer together during the veg stage though. With them spread out like that, you're not going to be able to get the most out of the light at this stage of growth, compared to if it was closer. I'm too used to Hydro growing I guess, where my plants stay packed closely together during veg, and get spread apart during bloom. I tend to keep my lights within 6-8" during veg to give them as much light as I can, so they grow at a fast pace. With your light at 12" or higher in order to expand the footprint (and because the light at the edge of the footprint isn't as bright as what's in the center), I feel like you will be missing out on the full potential of your little plants. If it were me (even though I don't use dirt), I would have planted the girls a bit off center, so that they could be positioned closer together in the middle. Once they got a bit larger, I think I would rotate the pots a bit to spread them out more. Then again I have almost no experience growing in dirt, but is it common practice to put them into such large pots when they are so young? I'm sure it's not an issue with HID, but LED doesn't have as big of a footprint as you already know ;)

The plants seem to be growing rather nicely.

It's too bad you couldn't keep them in smaller pots to keep the little gals closer together during the veg stage though. With them spread out like that, you're not going to be able to get the most out of the light at this stage of growth, compared to if it was closer. I'm too used to Hydro growing I guess, where my plants stay packed closely together during veg, and get spread apart during bloom. I tend to keep my lights within 6-8" during veg to give them as much light as I can, so they grow at a fast pace. With your light at 12" or higher in order to expand the footprint (and because the light at the edge of the footprint isn't as bright as what's in the center), I feel like you will be missing out on the full potential of your little plants. If it were me (even though I don't use dirt), I would have planted the girls a bit off center, so that they could be positioned closer together in the middle. Once they got a bit larger, I think I would rotate the pots a bit to spread them out more. Then again I have almost no experience growing in dirt, but is it common practice to put them into such large pots when they are so young? I'm sure it's not an issue with HID, but LED doesn't have as big of a footprint as you already know ;)

I honestly didn't think it would be an issue. The main stem of each plant is 1' x 1' apart, centered on the light. With a 2' x 3' coverage area I thought i would be good. Since this is my first grow of any sort I don't know if putting them in pots this big this early is the norm. I've seen several journals where they are started in these size pots and I think most dirt journals I've seen use this size as long as they have the height. I also couldn't leave them in the small cups any longer. All of them have the roots tangled at the bottom of the cups.

With hindsight being 20/20, I think 1 -126w light on a dirt grow that plans on using 5 gal pots, has a 2 pot max. I think if I was to have 2 - 126w lights i could get 6 plants covered nicely because the 2 outsides would overlap. I think had I gotten 2 maybe 3 of the smaller units i could have done 4 in 5 gal with no problem.

Can someone tell me: How many plants are people fitting under a 400w HPS? What's the coverage area on that?

I'm sort of at a crossroads as to what to do. I think I have 4 options, i think.

1. Leave all 4 plants under the light knowing that things won't be as good as they could.

2. Add all the CFL's I took out prior to getting the LED as supplemental lighting.

3. Re-pot all plants in 3 gallon pots hoping that gets all 4 of them under the lights better. I'm not sure how much smaller a diameter 3 gallon have as opposed to 5 gallons to know if this will even work. I thought i read that re-potting more than once is a bad idea. Not sure if this is correct or not.

4. Take one plant out and put just that plant under CFL's for a mom. Since I have 2 Blackberries this would be the obvious choice. Although I'm not sure going down to just 3 plants will make my problem any better.

I'll listen to anyone's 2 cents on this.

3 gallon pots would have been sufficient for a regular bloom cycle, according to Jorge Cervantes.

Just did a little searching. If I switched to 3 gallon pots, I would save 2 inches on each pot. so I would bring the plants 2 inches closer to the center from the edge.

Cammie, do you think 2 inches on each side would make THAT drastic a difference?

Just did a little searching. If I switched to 3 gallon pots, I would save 2 inches on each pot. so I would bring the plants 2 inches closer to the center from the edge.

Cammie, do you think 2 inches on each side would make THAT drastic a difference?

I don't believe you need to get those plants any closer together. If they aren't getting enough light now what are the sides gonna get when they're 3 feet tall if the light is supposed to be 6" away? Is the light dispersion that tight? I know the 60 degree dispersion will give deeper penetration but would the tops get any coverage if they aren't directly under the led when they get bigger? I'm missing something.
I would pull the LED back to whatever distance lights up your plants evenly and let them grow. You aren't testing that light so add whatever you've got that'll veg, and grow the best plants you can. But first pull that led up another 4 inches,lol.

^^^^just my opinion, good luck scooby.

OK I see this is your first grow so I hope you don't mind the help....there's no need to place them in the pots you're going to finish them off in right now as they're still little puppies:blushsmile:
You should leave them in the cups for a couple more weeks or until they can make most women happy 9". ;)
You started these from seed...are they female seed?...don't forget you're going to loose some by attrition (no Males)
You don't really need 5 gallon pots (unless you're trying to grow 8' monsters:smokin:) but make sure whatever you use has plenty of holes on the bottom for the water to drain out...Are you able to set things off to one corner to get the help of the reflective material of the tent ?
I'm :cheer: you on Scoob!

OK I see this is your first grow so I hope you don't mind the help....there's no need to place them in the pots you're going to finish them off in right now as they're still little puppies:blushsmile:
You should leave them in the cups for a couple more weeks or until they can make most women happy 9". ;)
You started these from seed...are they female seed?...don't forget you're going to loose some by attrition (no Males)
You don't really need 5 gallon pots (unless you're trying to grow 8' monsters:smokin:) but make sure whatever you use has plenty of holes on the bottom for the water to drain out...Are you able to set things off to one corner to get the help of the reflective material of the tent ?

hey scumbragger you reminded me of an issue I found with small plants in big pots under leds. It can be tough to get them dried out if you overwater.

Scooby when/if you repot it might be a good idea to add some perlite to your soil. I went to 25-30% and my plants are cycling wet/dry every 3 or 4 days. First grow they were overwatered and took forever to cycle dry again.

sorry to bust in on your post scumbragger.

With any situation is it not best for your plants growth to have your lights as close to your plants as possible or should we place them depending on how your plants might look in 6 weeks...or am I missing something?

heheh quite funny, or am I missing something?.

yes I agree with your point. Isn't it possible to light stress your plants ? Thought I'd read that some where?
Whether 126 watts can do that is another issue. You're most likely right.
I'm not trying to raise issues, especially in somebody else's journal, just tossed an opinion out there.

Thanks, I'll take all the help i can get. First, yes all female seeds. I have 8 holes drilled in the bottom of each pot for drainage.

I've thought about this light way too much tonight but that's sort of my personality. Here's what I've come up with.

1. In order to get equal light with 1 - 126 w unit to each corner of a 2' x 2' area you have to have the light 18" above that area.

2. (based on the above 2' x 2' area) Raising the light from 12" - 18" , halves the light the plant gets in the center of the light, while doubling the light on the outside edge. At 12" the outside edge receives 1/6th the light as the center of the unit, while at 18" the inside only gets 50% more light. The outside edge at 18" is 1/3 the light in the center at 12". While my light meter is not the best it wasn't close enough to be that far off.

3. At 12" the boundary for maximum light is 10" x 5" (approx.). once you pass that point light starts to drop. move 2" past the 5" to 7" and your light is about half.

still contemplating what this means and what I'm planning on doing. For now the lights at 18".

Thanks, I'll take all the help i can get. First, yes all female seeds. I have 8 holes drilled in the bottom of each pot for drainage.

I've thought about this light way too much tonight but that's sort of my personality. Here's what I've come up with.

1. In order to get equal light with 1 - 126 w unit to each corner of a 2' x 2' area you have to have the light 18" above that area.

2. (based on the above 2' x 2' area) Raising the light from 12" - 18" , halves the light the plant gets in the center of the light, while doubling the light on the outside edge. At 12" the outside edge receives 1/6th the light as the center of the unit, while at 18" the inside only gets 50% more light. The outside edge at 18" is 1/3 the light in the center at 12". While my light meter is not the best it wasn't close enough to be that far off.

3. At 12" the boundary for maximum light is 10" x 5" (approx.). once you pass that point light starts to drop. move 2" past the 5" to 7" and your light is about half.

still contemplating what this means and what I'm planning on doing. For now the lights at 18".

According to my highly complex calculations, you're going to have to cut the grow down to one plant...

heheh quite funny, or am I missing something?.

yes I agree with your point. Isn't it possible to light stress your plants ? Thought I'd read that some where?
Whether 126 watts can do that is another issue. You're most likely right.
I'm not trying to raise issues, especially in somebody else's journal, just tossed an opinion out there.

I think 9" (there's that number again...LOL) is good up until the last 3 or 4 weeks when you can move them to within 3 to 6"...but anything between 6 and 12" is ok...I don't suggest putting finger prints on them but there's no heat to the touch...didn't want to cause trouble either just trying to help,but there's no use wasting light ...LOL

Back
Top Bottom