What is myco
mycorrhizalfungi_header.jpg
mycorhizal fungi that develop symbiotic relationship with plants. 80%+ of all plants on earth have 'mycos' in their root systems. Essentially, the 'mycos' infiltrate the actual roots themselves and will grow out such that it becomes an extension of the root system, in some instances making up over 50% of the visible root structure. The fungi root extensions maximize moisture and nutrient collection and provide them to the plant in exchange for some carbohydrates. Since the plant isn't using energy to grow all this extra 'root' material, yet still benefits in essentially the same way, it's a very sweet deal for the plant, and the mycs love the carbo/sugar hit the plants dole out. It is likely a very, very old adaptation, and different plants work with different species of fungi. We humans are currently discovering that the microbial world is the most important life on the planet, and I personally have found combining beneficial bacteria and fungi to be extremely helpful. No more dampening off, much faster growth, and higher survival rate through the early seedling stage generally because it just doesn't last as long due to the speedier growth. Dynomyco makes some of the best mycos, and I like NPK's microbe packs which they divide into veg and bloom. Both are dry products with good shelf life. I stay away from liquid-based bacteria mixes for this reason but there are some excellent ones, like Microbial Mass, Mammoth P, and Orca.

One can learn to extract both beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi from the natural environment, and maintain cultures of active groups ready to apply, or you can shell out for the store-bought. I do both. I'm a budding ''hobby mycologist'', and I have been growing mushrooms for food, for health, and for trippy fun for only couple/few years, but it's fantastic fun. A new section has been added on this forum for mushroom people like me but I haven't had the chance to contribute yet.

mycorrhizalfungi_header.jpg
mycorhizal fungi that develop symbiotic relationship with plants. 80%+ of all plants on earth have 'mycos' in their root systems. Essentially, the 'mycos' infiltrate the actual roots themselves and will grow out such that it becomes an extension of the root system, in some instances making up over 50% of the visible root structure. The fungi root extensions maximize moisture and nutrient collection and provide them to the plant in exchange for some carbohydrates. Since the plant isn't using energy to grow all this extra 'root' material, yet still benefits in essentially the same way, it's a very sweet deal for the plant, and the mycs love the carbo/sugar hit the plants dole out. It is likely a very, very old adaptation, and different plants work with different species of fungi. We humans are currently discovering that the microbial world is the most important life on the planet, and I personally have found combining beneficial bacteria and fungi to be extremely helpful. No more dampening off, much faster growth, and higher survival rate through the early seedling stage generally because it just doesn't last as long due to the speedier growth. Dynomyco makes some of the best mycos, and I like NPK's microbe packs which they divide into veg and bloom. Both are dry products with good shelf life. I stay away from liquid-based bacteria mixes for this reason but there are some excellent ones, like Microbial Mass, Mammoth P, and Orca.

One can learn to extract both beneficial bacteria and mycorrhizal fungi from the natural environment, and maintain cultures of active groups ready to apply, or you can shell out for the store-bought. I do both. I'm a budding ''hobby mycologist'', and I have been growing mushrooms for food, for health, and for trippy fun for only couple/few years, but it's fantastic fun. A new section has been added on this forum for mushroom people like me but I haven't had the chance to contribute yet.
Thankyou for the detailed explanation.
:adore:

:passitleft:

Where is the wicking foot connecting the main pot to the res? I just see those little solid divots. :hmmmm:
erm, yes indeed, where? Concerned there wont be sufficient contact between your wee perlite tower and the soil, esp. given the extra layers of mesh/cloth. But, yer there, I'm here, and I only have a single pic to go by.

Loving the idea for this grow, however. Streetlights? For reals? Stay safe mate.

How about a blackout cover, have you ever used them? I want to do 2 or 3 plants outdoors, in big 50-gallon SIPs on my roof next spring (NHemis) and auto-feed them. They'll look so beautiful surrounded by all the grapes up there.... *sigh*

I just about reforested coastal BC in the 90's for 8 consecutive seasons, but I haven't done one under the sun since 2001 and that's right when blackout covers were starting to be used here, so my experience is very limited. I figure if I start planning and building now I just might do a decent job of it for next spring. It's just a lark, really, but the heart wants what the heart wants. I simply want to see some giant Northern Lights and Texada Timewarp fading out, with grapes turning purple all around them. I'm not fussed about the actual weed itself.

Hey, how many litres/gallons volume is that thing? Keep it coming Nick, your contributions to both the vibe and content here are awesome.

Thanks Res!

Wicking foot I think will be fine. Might cut the finer mesh out in a circle above it - I’ll have roots down the periscope in days I guess.

Picture of the veg period balcony with a 15g Airpot where it will sit. That big LED will provide plenty of light - its cool white too - might even get some bonus growth out of it! Moving it to an internal balcony for flower where there isn’t the same light pollution is easier than constructing a giant shield I think - that will have its own issues with the wind which will flip to hammer that side of the house by November.

Ok slightly imperfect calculations as the trash can is tapered though not too much and uniform.

Total Height 72cm

Diameter Res 45cm average 47cm
Res 29cm Height
Res volume =π radius squared x height
= 50.3 Litres (13.3 Gallons)

Diameter Top 52cm average 50cm
Medium Zone 43cm Height
Res volume =π radius squared x height
= 84.4 Litres (22.3 Gallons)
Its big but not that big.
I have unfinished business with outdoor growing and every other bit of land we have is growing food crops by my wife. So balcony it is.

Nick

IMG_5034.jpeg

Fine maybe, but where does the perlite contact the soil? And will you be testing whether that amount of perlite can wick into the large (dare I enormous?) amount of soil above it, particularly with a thirsty flower plant in it?
:popcorn:

Again - I don’t think physical contact is required - its not been in solo sized ones. but i will have some.

The wicking tube is about 3.4L of perlite. It will expand when water is added and perlite floats.

It will wick through here. Thin layer of perlite on top of the mesh then soil.
IMG_5036.jpeg

I could cut some or all of those two layers of mesh away but I think that would encourage root growth to focus there, potentially blocking it at some point. I’m expecting roots through the mesh direct into the res all around.

I’ll do a test later. Haven’t filled it with water yet to test for leaks. I’ll fill the res and put a layer of perlite on top for the day with the lid on to simulate the darkness soil will provide.

If the perlite remains dry then its not working. If the perlite is sodden across that layer then it works.

Nick

This is my test / although the valve has a leak so wick needs to outrun the leak 😅

IMG_5039.jpeg

On the mesh is about 1cm of perite then that’s coco pest with perlite as a soil approximation. This is how the smaller ones were built. The origanal was a pasta strainer so at the sides there was some direct contact with soil. The tiny pressure change the roots give as they search lower should draw it up. Top watering will be minimal just to “charge the system” at the start. Wet at the bottom no more that mildly moist at the top they should want to balance naturally but the upward pressure exerted by the roots supply will amplify that.

That’s my theory anyway!

Let you know when there’s progress and ai’ve found a place to put it here.

Nick

This is my test / although the valve has a leak so wick needs to outrun the leak 😅

IMG_5039.jpeg

On the mesh is about 1cm of perite then that’s coco pest with perlite as a soil approximation. This is how the smaller ones were built. The origanal was a pasta strainer so at the sides there was some direct contact with soil. The tiny pressure change the roots give as they search lower should draw it up. Top watering will be minimal just to “charge the system” at the start. Wet at the bottom no more that mildly moist at the top they should want to balance naturally but the upward pressure exerted by the roots supply will amplify that.

That’s my theory anyway!

Let you know when there’s progress and ai’ve found a place to put it here.

Nick
Is this a SWICK then? My understanding is that a SIP has direct soil contact with the rez. It's the law. :hookah: You say this is a larger SIP based on others you've had success with?

Yeah my solo sips are this design. Flat grate above the airgap/res.

Previous one was a bucket/pasta strainer type where there would have been some soil contact around the edges.

Oh no!

Its like the “No Homers Club”! 😂

But its definitely Sub Irrigated in a Planter for me.

Nick

Looking for help making THC vape juice from buds, and people experienced using terpenes as flavour agents.....

Hey everybody... sorry to post off-topic, I won't keep posting on this, but I'm going to be making e-juice with buds and I'm looking for good reference material and want to talk about purchased terpenes and other flavour options with people who have some experience with them. I thought this might catch someone's attention here. We can take the conversation to whatever thread you see in my signature that says "current".

I don't have a press so I won't be making from fresh rosin, instead, I'll more likely be soaking buds in Vg/PG.... possibly using my 8-litre pressure cooker that I've hacked to make custom programmable. I want to know what all my options are and what final product will be like from some experienced growers/creators.

I quit smoking cigarettes years and years ago but still vape nic from time to time and enjoy it immensely. The amount of healing that's taken place in my lungs since quitting smoking has been amazing and I'm unwilling to compromise any of it by picking up a new combustion-based smoking habit with weed.

In the last 15+ yrs I've consumed weed no more than 10 times, call it a decent tolerance break after my 20s, when I was growing (and smoking) pretty decent volume. Now that I'm growing again, this time indoors and not expedition-style on mountain tops, I obviously want to consume the precious herb once more.

As I said, combustion isn't working for me and I want to develop a THC-packed e-juice using my homegrown buds. By the looks of things, this practice appears to significantly increase the number of times you can get blasted per gram of flower used compared to smoking and is an efficient method for getting fucked up. I believe that the flavour however does not transfer to the 'juice', and either terpenes or other flavours are necessary for a taste experience.

So, if anyone out there has experience making THC e-juice, or with the use of purchased terpenes, I'd really appreciate a head's up. Maybe you only have a good info source on this, I'd still love to hear about it. I'll be sure to keep my 420 peeps informed throughout my development period, as per usual, and report on my ultimate success or failure.
Hey did you succeed with the e juice my mix always separated there was a terp company i bought strain specific terps from cant remember exactly as its been awhile(Not allowed to send msgs just yet sorry folks)

Hey did you succeed with the e juice my mix always separated there was a terp company i bought strain specific terps from cant remember exactly as its been awhile(Not allowed to send msgs just yet sorry folks)
Another 35 messages and you will be good to go 😁

Hello All ive ran a tent anda light/oscilating fan never done the inline and ducts so basically i wanna filter the air so it doesnt smell in flower and cycle the air flow thru the top hole would the set up on the floor of the tent work that way or ??!?
IMG_0132.jpeg
IMG_0135.jpeg
Hello, plug your fan in and double check airflow direction you can either have the whole fan and filter outside of tent or mounted inside the tent ,when mounted inside tent most will run an extra filter sock over carbon filter to extend the life of the carbon filter from clogging with dust particles ( it can be removed and washed) its not a must 😊 how you have it layed out looks good so long as fan is blowing and orientated in the correct way.
Happy growing.

Hello, plug your fan in and double check airflow direction you can either have the whole fan and filter outside of tent or mounted inside the tent ,when mounted inside tent most will run an extra filter sock over carbon filter to extend the life of the carbon filter from clogging with dust particles ( it can be removed and washed) its not a must 😊 how you have it layed out looks good so long as fan is blowing and orientated in the correct way.
Happy growing.
2 filter socks? I have one on it already do you all duct tape the filters to fans? Yeah i want everything inside the tent the arrows on the fan are pointing—->

Hello All ive ran a tent anda light/oscilating fan never done the inline and ducts so basically i wanna filter the air so it doesnt smell in flower and cycle the air flow thru the top hole would the set up on the floor of the tent work that way or ??!?
Most folks use the top vents for exhaust to remove heat from the tent but some of that will depend on whether the room where the tent is (sometimes called the "lung room") is warmer or cooler than you want the tent. In the winter I push air in the top and out the bottom because the air is warmer near the ceiling. In the summer the exhaust is sent out the top, with cooler air from the floor being pulled in.

Either way, if smell is an issue, make sure there is negative pressure in the tent (walls pulled in). If you have intake and exhaust fans try to run the exhaust fan equal to or higher than the intake to make sure all the air is going through the filter on the way out.

2 filter socks? I have one on it already do you all duct tape the filters to fans? Yeah i want everything inside the tent the arrows on the fan are pointing—->
One sock is enough. Here's a video showing instillation of a vivosun inline fan

Back
Top Bottom