I typically wait until the leaves reach out to the edges of the pot it's in. I heard that advice once and it's served me well since then.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

She still looks droopy this morning. Res is about half full.

I added some Dynomyco to the res. I'll pick up some Aloe to see if that can help.
Added some to the Gorilla res as well.
Gorilla looks really good still.
Id be tempted to wrap something around that white bucket to stop it heating up i notice your backyard is mostly concrete it would be radiating a lot of heat im sure that would be knocking your plant around.

Hi All! Day #5 ive seen about 3 fungus gnats flyin around smh also more roots have made it to the bottom of the pot should i move it to the earthbox now or wait a little more? They seem so delicate at this stage
IMG_0071.jpeg
IMG_0072.jpeg
I sprinkle some Mosquito Bits on top of the soil to kill Fungus Gnats (and Mosquitos). Also dumped a tablespoon into the res, too. Works great. It uses BTI (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) which is effective on the gnats also.
MosquitoBitz.jpg

Id be tempted to wrap something around that white bucket to stop it heating up i notice your backyard is mostly concrete it would be radiating a lot of heat im sure that would be knocking your plant around.
Yes heat is definitely a concern.

Both my SIPs are now in flower. The Gorilla looks fine, but the OG is still not drinking so I'm top watering. The OG res is smelling funkier by the day. I added a bit more Dynomyco to both res to see if that helps.

I sprinkle some Mosquito Bits on top of the soil to kill Fungus Gnats (and Mosquitos). Also dumped a tablespoon into the res, too. Works great. It uses BTI (Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis) which is effective on the gnats also.
MosquitoBitz.jpg
Thanks I have a bag already! I think i need to move the plant it gets kinda chilly in the basement i moved it closer to light to catch some of the heat​

Both my SIPs are now in flower. The Gorilla looks fine, but the OG is still not drinking so I'm top watering. The OG res is smelling funkier by the day. I added a bit more Dynomyco to both res to see if that helps.
If you are worried about root rot i do recall reading somewhere on this platform about a diluted mixture of hydrogen peroxide added to watering helps .
Id probably start with having pots sitting up off concrete at least an inch and wrap something around pot loosely so there's still airflow, those roots would be cooking even the wet soil would be getting very warm/hot .
The last place I lived was similar and would get very hot . Nice sized plants you have so far 👍

If you are worried about root rot i do recall reading somewhere on this platform about a diluted mixture of hydrogen peroxide added to watering helps .
Interesting.
That could be an option. Looks like it will kill off any good bacteria as well tho.

Id probably start with having pots sitting up off concrete at least an inch and wrap something around pot loosely so there's still airflow, those roots would be cooking even the wet soil would be getting very warm/hot .
The last place I lived was similar and would get very hot .
Interesting.
That could be an option. Looks like it will kill off any good bacteria as well tho.
true, it may have been a flood and drain hydro system the post was about.

Hiya,

Couple of things caught my attention because I’ve done all the below in the last week!

wait a little more?
Yep for sure,

I typically wait until the leaves reach out to the edges of the pot it's in.

This seems about right but 2 sets of true leaves at least - our little cube pots are 1.5” square!

next time I'm going to put SIP seedlings in a solo SIP.
An excellent idea
Seconded,

But, but - they’re fiddly as hell to make. Pre any type of grow style we’ve been growing them (post their initial week in potting soil) in Solo SWICKS. Take one Solo throw some perlite in, 1-2cm, take another clear solo, preferably smaller but you can just underfill one the same size and let it stand “proud” of the outer one and puncture holes in the bottom and sides. Place a layer of perlite in the bottom of the clear one, then growing medium (we layer perlite and coco) and your plant. Water once from the top and then only down the edges of the cups to the perlite in the bottom of the outer cup. It will give you the right root structure to go into their final pot but so much easier to make and feed. Just a syringe until the perlite starts to float and done. Get roots everywhere.

Second thing:

The root rot/H2O2 might have been me.

true, it may have been a flood and drain hydro system the post was about.

I did it last week with a SIP. It ended up being a total repot and I think she’s just coming back - but in a solo so not really an option for you.

Coco - flood it with H202 I mean a flush of 4x the volume of the res. Then fill the res with H202 and probably some CalMag by top watering so make sure all the root structure gets hit with the mix. Then fill again with your normal mix.

Soil - let it dry out completely. Then top water with the H202 then your normal mix.

I went the Coco route but my greenhouse/outdoor guy always does the soil way even in coco - it can’t be said my way worked as I repotted but it had a single big tap root off the main stem. I think it would have recovered albeit with total root ball loss 😅

Nick

$15 on Amazon, this little bottle will last thru a few grows and keep your roots happy. I over water Everything so root rot is a constant threat, especially with some of my specialty indoor plants - ie. Ashwaganda, echinacea, etc.

Screenshot_20230802-065756_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Soil - let it dry out completely. Then top water with the H202 then your normal mix.

$15 on Amazon, this little bottle will last thru a few grows and keep your roots happy. I over water Everything so root rot is a constant threat, especially with some of my specialty indoor plants - ie. Ashwaganda, echinacea, etc.

I appreciate the great advice!
:green_heart::thanks:

I'm going to make one last attempt to save this SIP before I try and re-pot.

The plan:
  1. Drain the res as best I can using tubing to siphon out the res.
  2. Then add one quart H2O2 to one gallon water and fill the res.
  3. Let sit for a few hours, then drain out with siphon.
  4. Let dry out as best it can for a day or so.
  5. Then top feed until res overflow - hoping this will restart the wicking. I'll also add some Dynomyco top and bottom.
Any concerns?

I may order a bottle of the enzyme formula as well but I need to do something quick because I don't think she can continue this way for long.

If the above does not work I'll re-pot into a 7 gallon fabric pot, cutting off any nasty roots. Hoping to avoid this as she is now in flower.

Or should I just re-pot now and roll the dice?

The other SIP is still doing great btw. Drinking almost 2 gallons each day. She has slowed a bit but it has been cooler - only 92˚ yesterday and will be close to that next few days.

Enzymes targeted for root health are great. I recommend bacteria products however because it is these bacteria that create said enzymes. Enzyme products have a current commercial market lead because they arrived as products first - essentially b/c enzymes can be cheaply, simply packaged with a decent-ish shelf-life, which profiting from them requires. However, if you use a bacterial mix designed for plant root health you will get a better result as the beneficial enzymes the micro-fauna secrete is much fresher and usually of a greater diversity, impacting more potential pathogen types. Make worm tea, and you get the best all-round rhizotonic at bargain price. Also, wrapping a white or light-coloured cloth loosely around pot will drop soil temps 10 deg F by next day and keep them down, as the air gaps will insulate. make sure it is light-coloured. GB's rez stinks because the water isn't being used, which means roots are clogging with dead material and pathogen populations spiking.

I appreciate the great advice!
:green_heart::thanks:

I'm going to make one last attempt to save this SIP before I try and re-pot.

The plan:
  1. Drain the res as best I can using tubing to siphon out the res.
  2. Then add one quart H2O2 to one gallon water and fill the res.
  3. Let sit for a few hours, then drain out with siphon.
  4. Let dry out as best it can for a day or so.
  5. Then top feed until res overflow - hoping this will restart the wicking. I'll also add some Dynomyco top and bottom.
Any concerns?

I may order a bottle of the enzyme formula as well but I need to do something quick because I don't think she can continue this way for long.

If the above does not work I'll re-pot into a 7 gallon fabric pot, cutting off any nasty roots. Hoping to avoid this as she is now in flower.

Or should I just re-pot now and roll the dice?

The other SIP is still doing great btw. Drinking almost 2 gallons each day. She has slowed a bit but it has been cooler - only 92˚ yesterday and will be close to that next few days.
you should go buy worm castings, soaks in non clorine water and some brown sugar and/or , molasses, strain, and use both from below and pour in from above. Will work.

Enzymes targeted for root health are great. I recommend bacteria products however because it is these bacteria that create said enzymes. Enzyme products have a current commercial market lead because they arrived as products first - essentially b/c enzymes can be cheaply, simply packaged with a decent-ish shelf-life, which profiting from them requires. However, if you use a bacterial mix designed for plant root health you will get a better result as the beneficial enzymes the micro-fauna secrete is much fresher and usually of a greater diversity, impacting more potential pathogen types. Make worm tea, and you get the best all-round rhizotonic at bargain price. Also, wrapping a white or light-coloured cloth loosely around pot will drop soil temps 10 deg F by next day and keep them down, as the air gaps will insulate. make sure it is light-coloured. GB's rez stinks because the water isn't being used, which means roots are clogging with dead material and pathogen populations spiking.
I think the hot pots in the sun haven't helped the situation.
:snowboating:

you should go buy worm castings, soaks in non clorine water and some brown sugar and/or , molasses, strain, and use both from below and pour in from above. Will work.
Thanks RD!

Should I not use the H2O2 to kill off bad bacteria?
I was going to let a solution of 3 parts water and 1 part 3% H2O2 sit in the res overnight, then drain and let air out all day tomorrow before filling again. Lite top water only today.

I think the hot pots in the sun haven't helped the situation.
Probably.

This is the 4th summer I have grown in that same spot. Not ideal but I have grown some decent plants there. As long as I water regularly they do OK. This year's crop looks to be the best yet - even with the issues with one of the SIPs.
I went with white buckets and tan fabric pots to reduce the temps at the roots. A few years ago I saw temps over 130˚ on the outside of a black fabric pot. Yikes! Still got a few ounces per plant.

The Gorilla OG looks good and is still drinking close to 2 gallons each day.

The SFV OG does not look horrible but if you look at her leaf tips she is not happy at all. Nute burn I think.

Lately I have been feeding her a lite dose of Grow Big (for the nitrogen). The Grow Dots are still kicking. I may have given her more nutes than she needed two weeks ago.

I probably pissed her off with the aggressive defol and while she was pouting she stopped drinking, which led to funkiness in the res and well, it has just spiraled downward from there.

Hope she recovers.

Should I not use the H2O2 to kill off bad bacteria?
Hi GB. Plants look gorgeous btw, like, really gorgeous. I'm quite excited for the smoke report They're flippin' beauties mate, let's save that girl!

I apologize for not following here more closely. My sense is that whenever someone responds to a "Please Help?!" thread with ideas they ought to see it through, regardless of the path ultimately taken. Of course, those are just my personal rules, really. Anyways, I've been ill, too ill even to post on threads, but, I was here in spirit!

You've likely acted already but yeah, it's either/or with respect to worm tea/h2O2. I would go with the worm tea and then wrap, more like drape, light coloured cloth around the pot to take temps down, or use a large box or large pieces cardboard. You want to keep the direct sun radiation from hitting the pot and you want a large airspace between the wrap and pot to insulate (It really works, I do it to my 35-gal outdoor SIPs).

The h202 is a last resort for me but that's because I've usually already invested beneficial microbes into the grow, and don't want to destroy the forest merely to extract a single tree. If the 'heisenberg'' or worm-casting teas don't work then I go for the h2o2.

If you transplanted with mycorrhizal spores (dynomyco et al lol) your plant could spring a major phosphorous deficiency at exactly the moment you don't want it, this transition period. ''Mycos'' provide primarily phosphorous to your plant and would likely by now have created a mature symbiosis with the plant, a symbiosis that would be destroyed overnight by the h202, possibly shocking the plant into throwing up deficiencies even though you're feeding correctly. Now, that's just a theory based on my elementary understanding, but it's essentially why I use h2o2 last - I've seen so much benefit from managing the microbe population in my SIPs and DWC, even when feeding with synth ferts, and I would hate to genocide the lot of them simply to oust a single harmful fungi species.

Soaking some castings with molasses, add an airstone or circulation pump if possible. brown sugar, white sugar, rice flour, bean flour, you can feed those beasties any carbohydrate. I've used the leftover goop from a simple, humble can of beans - with tremendous success. Go 24 hours soaking if you can, and take the plant out of the sun to top feed and reservoir feed the microbe mixture. I'd shoot for a gallon or two if you have a container suitable. The mixture peaks and dies off quickly, so you need to use the brew right away, and don't bother keeping extra, it will all die off.

Anyone looking for a good commercial product for inoculating beneficial bacteria and fungi species into the root zone may just ask. I've mentioned the faves I use, previously, and this text wall is large enough!

Here, I'll end with some outdoor veggy SIP pics...
A1DB2455-60D0-45EC-AB17-DF7D2BE2DDF8.jpeg
DD306DBC-D992-4992-89C4-C5B575CF657A.jpeg
4CFDB649-1ED0-4AB8-8696-9F4B3E5380D4.jpeg

I just ordered the dyno myco myself i already had this on hand tho
IMG_0085.jpeg
so i decided to put a lil insome water and alot more roots have since grown thru bottom of the pot overnight the emerging leaflets look purple but the myco def working on the roots big white shoots
this looks real nice, I can see Trichoderma is listed, and this is a bacteria of great benefit, which is different than fungi so that looks kind of like a Great White -type product. Love to see full ingredients, derived from.

Hi GB. Plants look gorgeous btw, like, really gorgeous. I'm quite excited for the smoke report They're flippin' beauties mate, let's save that girl!

I apologize for not following here more closely. My sense is that whenever someone responds to a "Please Help?!" thread with ideas they ought to see it through, regardless of the path ultimately taken. Of course, those are just my personal rules, really. Anyways, I've been ill, too ill even to post on threads, but, I was here in spirit!

You've likely acted already but yeah, it's either/or with respect to worm tea/h2O2. I would go with the worm tea and then wrap, more like drape, light coloured cloth around the pot to take temps down, or use a large box or large pieces cardboard. You want to keep the direct sun radiation from hitting the pot and you want a large airspace between the wrap and pot to insulate (It really works, I do it to my 35-gal outdoor SIPs).

The h202 is a last resort for me but that's because I've usually already invested beneficial microbes into the grow, and don't want to destroy the forest merely to extract a single tree. If the 'heisenberg'' or worm-casting teas don't work then I go for the h2o2.

If you transplanted with mycorrhizal spores (dynomyco et al lol) your plant could spring a major phosphorous deficiency at exactly the moment you don't want it, this transition period. ''Mycos'' provide primarily phosphorous to your plant and would likely by now have created a mature symbiosis with the plant, a symbiosis that would be destroyed overnight by the h202, possibly shocking the plant into throwing up deficiencies even though you're feeding correctly. Now, that's just a theory based on my elementary understanding, but it's essentially why I use h2o2 last - I've seen so much benefit from managing the microbe population in my SIPs and DWC, even when feeding with synth ferts, and I would hate to genocide the lot of them simply to oust a single harmful fungi species.

Soaking some castings with molasses, add an airstone or circulation pump if possible. brown sugar, white sugar, rice flour, bean flour, you can feed those beasties any carbohydrate. I've used the leftover goop from a simple, humble can of beans - with tremendous success. Go 24 hours soaking if you can, and take the plant out of the sun to top feed and reservoir feed the microbe mixture. I'd shoot for a gallon or two if you have a container suitable. The mixture peaks and dies off quickly, so you need to use the brew right away, and don't bother keeping extra, it will all die off.
Hiya RD!

I was just about to post an update. Thank you for your advice - I appreciate it!

On Wednesday morning I used a syphon hose to drain the res on OG. It smelled funky for sure. That afternoon I refilled with 3 parts water and one part hydrogen peroxide (about a gallon) and let her sit overnight. She never looked horrible, just got some yellowing leaves and was slightly droopy. I think the H2O2 helped deliver oxygen to the roots?

Thursday morning I syphoned all liquid and gave her a lite top feed. Thursday afternoon I made a worm casting tea (about 2 cups worm castings and 3 tbsp brown sugar in a bucket with 3 gallons of water) and let it brew over night. This morning I drenched the soil and refilled the res with the tea.

Will see if the tea does the trick.

Here she is this morning:

And here are both SIPs this morning.

The Gorilla slurped down a gallon of the tea before noon so she is drinking just fine. I think she likes the tea!
The res on the OG is still almost full, but I drenched the soil with the tea until overflow (she took almost 2 gallons). Hoping this kicks in the wick action.

I'm not giving up on this plant or the SIP.

Back
Top Bottom