SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkstar

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

If it helps at all, here's my experience with replacing HPS with LED;

I had a Mars II 400 (173 watts at the wall) and a 600w HPS with digital ballast. Temps were topping 100 degrees after a short time even with a 5" cool tube. If I ran the HPS at 400w temps would get to 94 after a few hours and I was forever opening the tent.

I replaced the HPS with a Mars II 900 (385 watts at the wall) and now even without opening the tent for many hours, temps never go over 88 degrees. Still high I know, but it's rare I leave the tent long enough to hit those temps, even after a day at work.

Excellent information! I know a watt is a watt, whether you're using HID or LED, so some of the claims of drastically reduce heat with LED are probably somewhat overblown. But it also looks like LED lighting does have some temperature benefits. At least just enough to get the temps down into a reasonable range.

Thanks, Max!

Re: SlowToke's High Brix Cancer Killer Grow Journal - Blue Dream/Critical Cure/Darkst

Wow, you really did your research! :bravo:

That's one of the best starts I've seen - seedlings look beautiful, tent spacing is all worked out, lighting plans are set ... nice job!

+reps!

Whats up SlowToke, Your seedlings are looking great. If you haven't seen it yet I would recommend "The Scientist Medical Marijuana Documentary 2015" its well done and is about the history of cannabis research out of Israel. :Rasta:

Wow, you really did your research! :bravo:

That's one of the best starts I've seen - seedlings look beautiful, tent spacing is all worked out, lighting plans are set ... nice job!

+reps!

Hi Graytail! Thanks so much for stopping by! And, wow, thanks so much for the encouraging words! I don't know quite what to say... I guess I am just seriously motivated to make this grow a good one, and that put me on a mission to learn everything that I can. And of course I have drawn heavily on your grows and the help you have given others. You are one of the true high brix experts! So thanks again!

Whats up SlowToke, Your seedlings are looking great. If you haven't seen it yet I would recommend "The Scientist Medical Marijuana Documentary 2015" its well done and is about the history of cannabis research out of Israel. :Rasta:

Thanks, Snoop! I appreciate the kind words, and thanks for the awesome documentary find! I'll be checking it out tonight for sure! :Namaste:

Ha! Lots of blue dream fans in here. Count me among them. Currently have one seed mother and twenty six clones. One for colloidal silver treatment, a few to receive pollen, some to flower in a tent and a few to plant out in a couple months....

I like the blue dream.

:circle-of-love:

MaxHeadroom - 88 degrees isn't as bad as you might think. That's only 2 degrees above where I keep tents.

And the LED temp reduction isn't very overblown. It is a significant reduction.

Heirloom, man you are a fan! I'm really looking forward to harvesting mine. I've never had any blue dream that wasn't from a commercial hydro grow. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I can't wait to taste the fruits of my labor with that one!

Good to hear you opinion on LEDs, too. LOL! After all the jack I've spent on LED lighting in the last month, they better be an improvement on HIDs! ;)

My AdvancedLED XML350 ran much cooler than I expected. I don't remember exactly what the temp rise numbers were before, but now, even with 665 watts of Mars-Hydro in there (which aren't noted for their efficiency) with it, I only have a heat issue when the ambient temp rises past 75. In that case, I'll get 85+ degree highs in the 4x4. Maybe a 13 degree rise ... max? And that's only at the high temps. At lower ambient temps, I get a rise under 10 degrees. Not bad. My lone 600W hps ran that hot. :slide: :cheesygrinsmiley: Good choice.

That's good news, Graytail! When I fired up my XML350, it was a huge improvement. But that was compared to a 1000watt MH light. I just pulled the trigger on 4 of the small Mars lights yesterday, and have been wondering how that would effect the environment. Man, keeping the grow environment dialed in to keep the plants happy is not a simple task!

My AdvancedLED XML350 ran much cooler than I expected. I don't remember exactly what the temp rise numbers were before, but now, even with 665 watts of Mars-Hydro in there (which aren't noted for their efficiency) with it, I only have a heat issue when the ambient temp rises past 75. In that case, I'll get 85+ degree highs in the 4x4. Maybe a 13 degree rise ... max? And that's only at the high temps. At lower ambient temps, I get a rise under 10 degrees. Not bad. My lone 600W hps ran that hot. :slide: :cheesygrinsmiley: Good choice.
You can bring your tent delta down. Most tents are 5 deg or less. With my bare bulb running 1050 watts my tent runs 2 deg over room temp. Lots of low hanging fruit to pull if your tent has a 13 deg Delta.

Cheers

You can bring your tent delta down. Most tents are 5 deg or less. With my bare bulb running 1050 watts my tent runs 2 deg over room temp. Lots of low hanging fruit to pull if your tent has a 13 deg Delta.

Cheers

Yeah, but I don't have good air exchange, probably 50 CFM or so. Mine is a tiny root cellar with a 4 inch exhaust flue on a 25 foot run threaded through three double elbows. :laugh: So it's really not too bad under those conditions.

How the heat is dispersed in the space is also very important. The heat from hps can be easily be gathered by a hood and exhausted before it gets into the room. LEDs vent into the room first. One of these days, a LED manufacturer will design a panel with a hood.

How the heat is dispersed in the space is also very important. The heat from hps can be easily be gathered by a hood and exhausted before it gets into the room. LEDs vent into the room first. One of these days, a LED manufacturer will design a panel with a hood.

I wish I could remember who, but someone is making an LED with "cool tube" like feature to duct away the heat.

Yeah, but I don't have good air exchange, probably 50 CFM or so. Mine is a tiny root cellar with a 4 inch exhaust flue on a 25 foot run threaded through three double elbows. :laugh: So it's really not too bad under those conditions.

I've managed to achieve a semblance of equilibrium with my veg tent and the flowering tray in the same room by exhausting the tent into the room close to the a/c unit which cools that air enough to keep the 1200watt flowering tray at about the same high 70s/low 80s as the tent. No idea if I can continue to achieve a balance when I add the 500watts or so of lighting to the veg tent with the supplemental Mars fixtures that are on their way. But I'll remain optimistic until proven otherwise! :smokin:

When growing heat exchange is as important as lightning. I always see growers dropping lots of money on lights but not heat extraction. Well controlled tent with low quality light will yield better the high priced light with suspect heat extraction. Once temps are under control light upgrade will yield amazing results. Tent delta of 5 or less is acceptable. I started with 600 watt cooltube, now with my extraction setup I'm running 1050 bare bulb.

e5ea3220c2d498dcb40d202c062bb1d3.jpg

Cheers

Miller, nice looking garden you have going there! :goodjob:

Also, can you go into a little more detail about your heat extraction system? I'd be interested to know how you achieved such good results that allowed that much additional wattage.

Thanks!

Thank you for that recommendation. I just finished watching it. Great share.

Miller, nice looking garden you have going there! :goodjob:

Also, can you go into a little more detail about your heat extraction system? I'd be interested to know how you achieved such good results that allowed that much additional wattage.

Thanks!
Air movement. 590 CFM blowing into tent

f21a88f622c0a2fe648b6bd6fcb779ae.jpg

440 CFM with carbon filtet at top of tent vented outside.

Filter 440 cfm fan $145 with speed controler. Amazon Vent Tech. Filter does not remove smell but helps some. Quailty CAN filters are costly. M6 590 cfm was $86 Amazon.

Move all the air you can. I use thermostat controls to start and stop fans. Both on same power strip powered on at 72 degree, off at 70. Tent spikes to 77 for high and 69 for low. About 4 to 5 min cycle off and will run for 10 to 15 min on. Room never sees 70, if it does fan can keep tent at 72 and will not shut off. If your room is warm, tent will be warm. I do not use AC, but run only at night where outside temps are lower and do not need to add hearing during day.

Cheers

Hi, how's it going ? Hope everythings fine.
I've just updated my signature, so hopefully you can see link to my journal :)
I will have to take a look into book you've mentioned, as I will be out of literature I'm reading ;)
Take care!

Thank you for that recommendation. I just finished watching it. Great share.

Were on the same wavelength today, Sue. I just finished watching it as well, and have to agree 100%

Thanks again for the heads up on this documentary, Snoop! :thanks:

Back
Top Bottom