DarkStar Project - Advanced Growing

Your setups kind of show that you are a Reef Tank enthusiast. Looks like you get as much joy out of setting things up as you do the grow itself.

My story is similar in regards to setting up and building reef tanks and now on to grow systems. I put a pic up of a 120g reef I built, its in my gallery. That was the third to the last one I made, I think between the tank, homemade stand and all the equipment and corals I had roughly 5 grand into it, sold it because of a move. First reef I built was a 55 then a 65 then a 120 then a 40,,,,and just tore down a 8gal. Was into it for roughly 10 years. I got into it because of diving which I still do,,,,mostly cave and deep water shipwreck diving now instead of reefs.

When I was planning my first grow some of the setups that inspired me were yours and 420fied's. I first setup a aeroponics unit with 20 2inch net baskets. Decided this setup wasnt practical due to the amount of space it took up. So needless to say I just finished up a 6 planter undercurrent dwc tonight.

Your work and your grows are inspiring. Thank you very much Mr. Smith

I do like variety. Ever played a video game and not only beat it but unlock everything in the game? Ever go overboard on a hobby and just want to get better at it even though some people already think your pretty good?
I used to be a aquarium enthusiest. I ran fresh water tanks for years, slowly changing my style over time. Started with guppies and gold fish then got stuck on ciclids and did minor breeding programs with bettas. I went back to smaller fish and got good with amazon tanks with live plants and ghostshrimp then eventually went into saltwater. As soon as I got into saltwater I became mesmorized with reef tanks. They are the hardest to maintain and takes the most expensive equipment and needed the most knowledge and understanding to keep a reef going. 2 years into reef systems and I was getting really good with coral care and keeping a balance system. A hurricane ended it for me. No power for 9 days. Everything died in under 2 days, 1500 bucks worth of livestock dead with me heart broken and sick knowing years of work and money gone. A month later I started growing mj plants with my old reeftank lights and a new enthusiastic hobby starts. I was able to incorperate knowledge from aquarium care to plant care easily. The experience was more thrilling and rewarding plus a lil scary at times. I became hooked.

I have done 2 dirt grows. I didn't do as well as I thought I would and found bringing in dirt and removing it was a really big hassle.
I'll try coir soon, maybe next year.
I enjoy hydro cause its neat, its easy and its hard. Nothing grows bigger and faster than hydro, there is always a way to upgrade and taking readings and measurements and adjusting gives me a better sense of control.

I have a question for ya. Do you run titanium grounding rods in your res when you are running water pumps? Reef tank setups I use to run all had them in it so that any stray voltage created from the magnetic impellers wouldnt affect the corals and fish. Does the same hold true for plants in hydro?

Any questions?

Just one: When's the party?!

:bigtoke:

Well, I had spent about 15 minutes typing a huge rambling post. In a pot brownie haze, I somehow closed my web browser before hitting send, and it's long long gone...

The jist of it was, I've always approached my hobbies the same way - all out. I like hydro for ALL the same reasons... Lets see there was something about me comparing hydro set-ups to Rube Goldberg contraptions... that was probably boring anyway. Anyway, it was a much better post than this, but I clearly lack the focus needed.

Oh, and +rep when I can for some of the most kick ass plant pictures I've ever seen. Dude, that beastie biatch you grew should be POTM no prob, whatever pics you choose!! It's been a real joy reading and following this journal - thanks for taking so much time to share it. Nicely done bro. :bravo:

Congrats on another top notch run.

:goodjob:

Thanks bro. Learned a important thing about severe thinning from you. I'm gonna play with the aero 36 and the 60 using the sog method and heavy trimmed and thinned plants. Its going to be a highway of bud.
Still going to play with the multiplant rdwc system I made and maybe a smaller mum with it lol but I did a project called the aero 96 and I just couldn't get it dialed in to recieve maximum bud potential. I don't think I was going about it the right way. I'll let you know how it goes.

I have a question for ya. Do you run titanium grounding rods in your res when you are running water pumps? Reef tank setups I use to run all had them in it so that any stray voltage created from the magnetic impellers wouldnt affect the corals and fish. Does the same hold true for plants in hydro?

I can't answer that. I didn't run a chiller with my reef setup. My chiller was purchased from a hydro store and is not as nice as reef chiller. There's a price difference so I don't think hydro chillers are made with that option.

I don't know. Sorry.

Ilikebike, thank you. I really tried on this project to make a good journal. I personally think I did a good job on this one so far except for the nute burn SOG. At least the numbers were good.

Xlr8, I don't know who Rube Goldberg is. I can't rep ya cause it won't let me. Thank you for being a good friend and a good member. I am high, all is good, tomorrow is another battle.

Don't think many actually transition from Reefs to Reefers salty. But, I would agree that there are alot of ways they would be similar, and actually combining them together is the Ultimate of grow style, Aquaponics. Your get your meds, and you can raise fish to eat, which is what I would do, or even breed and sale Coi's and such as I've seen other's do.

I'm sure if they are doing something with reefs, then there is probably reefer involved, at least all the Scuba divers I know, or off shore fishers, or tank designers. Scuba diving is funner when your high, and I can see a smoker really being good at creating some bad a** reef tanks with a good bowl of Quasar, or The Church, oohh yeah....And fishing sure as heck wouldn't be fishing without a good ole J before the first cast, after every missed Big One, and of course as soon as you pull your boat up the ramp, gotta sit there in the lot and burn one down, reminising about the trip, or sulking about it!

Damn Rambles again.

This is what's left of the plant after the harvest. I don't need this room for 2 weeks so I am flowering the rest for another 2 weeks to see if the small buds can get any better. The rest will be flowered with only 1 600w light overhead. The pics are mostly for me to see if any bud building action happens during this 2 week period or I just wasted time and power to delay the rest of the harvest. Should be interesting.
059_DSM_rdwc_d64f.JPG

This is what has been harvested, all big chunky nugs on sticks.

060_DSM_rdwc_d64f.JPG

Any questions?

It's a little sad to see her go... but happy too! So I guess condolences, and congratulations are in order! I know I enjoyed watching her grow, and will definitely file this one away as the all-time best indoor hydro, I've ever seen. Still, I shed the proverbial tear, both happy and sad when I saw the comparatively tiny remains of the Dark Star Monster I had come to admire. Then I saw the the full drybox of the trimmed stems and wiped another at seeing it's awesomeness. Might take a week for those tree branches to dry enough for the cure, but you'll be in smoke for a day or two once you start in on it...

Grats again!:high-five:

whadaya think? 20-24oz?

maybe a two-pounder. . . . ?

well its kinda sad to see her go, but gawd look at all that primo bud......pause and reflect....... ok what a great run to follow,, your skill is gargantuan ,,i did a reef after years of freshy's great hobby, i sold it becase i moved , i have said to myself that growing feels alot like fishkeeping, guess im not the only one lol, funny how these hobbys grow,,,i started in soil with cfl,bag seed,, i said i will keep it small, now i have a 600 a 400, hempy coco, gallons and gallons of bpn, many new strains in waiting and plans galore,,,i submit to the universe lol i cant do anything minimalistic the knowledge grows and the grow grows! inevitable i suppose, my favorite hobby ever and i get good pain meds to boot! the vert has me thinking,,it looks just awesome!! i want one!
congrats on the DSM she is one for the annals of indoor history!:thumb:

well its kinda sad to see her go, but gawd look at all that primo bud......pause and reflect....... ok what a great run to follow,, your skill is gargantuan ,,i did a reef after years of freshy's great hobby, i sold it becase i moved , i have said to myself that growing feels alot like fishkeeping, guess im not the only one lol, funny how these hobbys grow,,,i started in soil with cfl,bag seed,, i said i will keep it small, now i have a 600 a 400, hempy coco, gallons and gallons of bpn, many new strains in waiting and plans galore,,,i submit to the universe lol i cant do anything minimalistic the knowledge grows and the grow grows! inevitable i suppose, my favorite hobby ever and i get good pain meds to boot! the vert has me thinking,,it looks just awesome!! i want one!
Here is the template for DarkStar Project, BID: Heath's Latest Tree Grow Enjoy
All excellent engineering is derivative.

Addictive, isn't it?... Growing, that is... :cheesygrinsmiley:

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom