TeSmp's Critical Sensi Star - 6 Sq/Ft SCROG - Single Plant

Yeah, hydro always meant heavy tech and some pipe system with daily checks necessary to run the whole thing - add pH checks & constantly needed calibrating solutions for that.... scary a bit! I looked a into the thing you have been using - it seems really much more simple.

Do you have any info on how much the pH stuff and calibration costs for a month or ful the full grow? I'm calculating costs for the next grow and couldn't get a straight asnswer from any shops selling the pH pen regarding this...

About yield, i think i got good, above 1900 wet with the 800w, all plants were relatively small (1m tall, 3-5 main shoots) so its not due to an enormous long veg time.
Weird thing is, css was the worst yielder based on /plant average (order was like blueberry, herer, caramelo css).
Curing starts to work now - they have such a great taste already, wonder what will happen after a month cure (hope they'll taste even better :) )

And congrats for the POTM!!!

Growing is so much fun, would have never thought it.. not gona let some random druglord do this for me ever again!! :)

When did hydro mean all that???????? I don't hyro system that we would use for growing that is real tech savy.. And just curious what is wrong with checking pH/ppm every day?? That's just kind of the trade off, instead of checking to see if your pots are light (which I HATE doing!), or looking for little bugs in your soil :) You just check pH/PPM and adjust when necessary. The whole process takes 3 minutes of my day. Lights come on, check ppm, add water or nutrient mix depending on PPM, check pH and adjust if necessary, for me it never was really.

And to answer your question I used 2 x $1 packs of calibration solution since I started growing on this site (which was when I started growing). I have used the same pH up/down that I had with my soil grows $12, same BPN that I bought when I started growing $30, same pH/ppm meters.... The only thing I had to buy was my $40 DWC which included everything you'll need, and like I said before you don't have any renewable costs, rinse the hydroton throw another plant in. And that's a great harvest! Should be about 1 1/4 pounds when all dried :) How many plants was that?

Calibration fluid, pH up and pH down will cost you less than $12 USD for all of them.

If you're looking for a really simple and easy to maintain hydro system, here's a really easy and inexpensive on that I sue in my Flower Box.

DIY Ebb & Flow

Yes, in case anyone is wondering... An ebb type system is easier and much more forgiving then a DWC (even though I think DWC is simple too), it can cost more and be a bit harder to set up because a DWC is pretty much set up when it arrives at your door.

Wow, i had to spend $50 or more just on buffers 4.0, 7.0, 10.0, cleaning and storage solution! I used up my 4.0 buffer in a month (the pen seemed to vary values quite often) Am i looking at a wrong brand of pen or been doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot for the info, really apprecited!

Well I think you need a new pen then??? I have adjusted mine once in 6 months because it's always spot on. You shouldn't need to spend more then $1 to have enough solution for a grow. You do need pH up/down in soil or hydro IMO.

i would of thought the easiest set up would be the dwc that teSmp has used, its a bucket with an air stone in the bottom, plus you would need some sort of tap in the bottom of the bucket to drain and clean the res out, so you would need a bucket for the res, an air pump and stone, then all you would need is the nutrients and ph tester and ppm, then ph up and down etc, and then you should be good to go, no pumps to control the water, just a simple bucket with an air pump in it, then as long as the nutes are checked and the res changed often you should be ok, i know res temp can be an issue so that would need checking.

but i am giving it a go and maybe i should of tried it sooner, but ill give it a go and try some clones so i can compare the hydro with the soil grow, i know its not a full hydro but more dwc set up but i can still compare the rate of growth between the 2 grows, if it means i can get the same amout of bud or more with less plants then that makes sense to me, im not decided on what to go with, ill either do a 3ft by 3ft scrog with longer veg or 2 plants and 30day veg, or go with 4 dwc buckets and no scrog, i want to try and pull 3 or 4 oz per plant, im only getting just over an oz per plant with soil, so im either doing something wrong or the yields are really that low with a soil grow with 30days of veg,

You are correct, DWC is the easiest to set up and an ebb type is easier to run. I don't know why people think DWC is not hydroponics..

Here is the dictionary definition:

hy·dro·pon·ics/ˌhīdrəˈpäniks/
Noun:
The process of growing plants in sand, gravel, or liquid, with added nutrients but without soil.

So growing in coco, perlite, only water, etc is hydro. In my opinion you can't really get any more hydro then DWC lol, the roots are submerged in water 24/7... I wouldn't go for 4 DWC's on your first go really. I would just do one or two and if you want to SCROG it that is up to you.. For 1 month veg I think the SCROG will give you the highest yield. If you do a 30 day LST Lollipop then you'll pull 4-6 ounces no problem. If you do want to go go that route then just grow the plant normally until its 10" high and then pull it over once, not all the way down just so its growing sideways and get it to bush out like the pic of mine at one month. Right around that time flower it and continue to LST all the branches apart so they turn into little arms, not pulling them down but just giving them a little breathing room between each one. You want the arms to be 14-18" long and then strip the lower 4-6" or so on those arms between day 14-21 of flowering and then leave it be.

don, you are only getting 1 oz/ plant because you are flowering with CFL...and doing a number of things "less than ideal".

That wasn't very nice... And no he's flowering and growing the plants with a 400w dual spec HPS/MH bulb. Other then that he has good ventilation, his growing techniques are solid, his temps are good, he's using the same nutes as all of us. I think his smaller yield is attributed to soil, not saying soil can't yield a good amount because it can. However, I bet we will see him yielding 3-5 ounces no problem on his first round of hydro. Changing nothing but the medium he is growing in.

Hey T, congrats on the POTM! Hadnt heard from you in a while. How's things? Took clones yesterday, we will be trying out that DWC scrog soon, deffinately going to be looking to you for some input. Anyways Bro, I hope all is well.

Thanks TG :) Thing's are going pretty good it's just been busy with school that' s why I haven't been on much. Ask away when you need anything, if you want me right away PM me, preferably on that other site because I have a app on my phone. At least ask me to come by your journal and ask because I rather answer where everyone can benefit from it or give their input. How are things going for you?

im hoping a dwc will increase yield. my temps are spot on, my humidity is spot on, my pots are not over or under watered, my plants have never shown any signs of over or under nute, my light is as teSmp said a 400watt dual spec hps running at 55,000 lumins, i did start with cfls you are right their, and i still use cfls to start the plants for the first 2 weeks, my dual spec hps is not all that good to be fair, any plants started under it stretch like crazy with node spacing at anything up to 9 inches, but when i start them under cfls and then put them under the hps they dont stretch and they grow as normal.
i only veg till the plants are around 1ft high due to the number of plants im growing, they finish around 2 to 3 ft, so maybe i need a longer veg in soil.

my tap water is ph 7.0, my nutes are bpn and followed to the guide, so i dont think my small yield is down to anything im doing, i think it is just the medium im growing in, maybe i need a longer veg with a soil grow, but i think a month of veg is long enough.

but with everything right im only hitting just over 30g per plant so its either the veg time or down to the strains im growing, the only thing i can really add is about the hempies, my last hempi i lollipopped it and ended up with 1 bud the size of a 2ltr pop bottle but still that was just under an oz in 1 bud, 12-12 from seed in 2ltr hempie, this time round i give my hempies 7 days of 24-0 under cfls, and the difference is huge, plus i did not lolly pop this time round, and now the hempies are around 4 ft tall and full of buds, so ill hit more than an oz per hempie with these, and yes you guessed it the only difference is the growing medium, their is even less room for the roots in these hempies, but the biggest hempie is a 2ltr dwc hempie, so the roots are sitting in nutrient rich solution with an air stone in the bottom, these plants have had 7 days of veg then 12-12, they are both 3 times the size of the plants i have vegged for 4 weeks, so clearly their is some difference due to the medium.

my plants that veg for a month are just over 1ft tall when i flip to 12-12 then they end up between 2 and 3 ft high and i get just over an oz per plant or their abouts
then look at the hempies, 7 days under cfls at 24-0 then under the hps using 12-12, these hempies then grew like crazy and if you check my journal you will see what i mean, including the pop bottle its grown in the tallest hempie is nearly as tall as me, and the only difference is thats its grown in a res and not in soil.

once these hempies are finished im going to try something, this will then tell me and others for sure whats best.

i got 2 fem seeds from seedism, big red if i remember the strain correctly, so ill do 2 hempies, one will be a totally soil hempie and the other will be a dwc hempie, both will be grown side by side and 12-12 from seed, i wont give any veg time and i wont do anything to the plants, no lolly pop or anything, but even before i start i will put money on the dwc hempie growing a whole lot quicker and giving me a bigger yield.

i cant think of anything wrong in my grow room, i have had a few bugs but a lot less worse than other growers so that wont be affecting yield, i dont have a vent as such but the grow room door is always open so their is good air flow with the fans running, everything else is spot on, temps,humidity,lights,nutes etc etc is all where it needs to be, if my plants showed signs of stress of nute lock out then id ask for help, but all my plants look healthy and they always have, if anyone can tell me something im doing wrong with my soil grow then let me know and ill change it so i can get these huge yields from soil, but i think the only way im going to get bigger yields with soil is to give them a longer veg like a 2 month veg then flower,

thats the only thing i can see affecting the yield as much as it does, maybe its the strains i choose, but i have taken clones from the hempies and now the clones are rooted and growing, but they are not growing anywhere as near as quick as the hempies are or was growing, so clearly the hydro part does play a huge part in speeding the grow time up.

i honestly cant think of anything that is wrong with my soil set up, ok i dont adjust the ph but my tap water is ph 7.0 and adding bpn lowers it slightly but its still within the guide of a soil grow, plus other soil growers dont worry about ph or adjust it, if i thought it would make that much difference then id buy some ph adjuster and adjust it the .2 that it needs adjusting to bring it more in line with the limits, but even if i do that i cant see it making much difference,

Man oh man!! Don't you remember how I was talking 2-3 months ago after each of my soil plants were finishing??????? Everyone was telling me I was doing everything correctly and I knew personally that I was. My temps ,RH, ppm, pH, light, nutes, pots, soil, plants, everything everything was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The only thing I changed, and I mean only thing I changed between this grow and all my others was being in the DWC. Everything else is identical; same nutes, same pH up/down, same temps/RH, etc etc. Don't you remember me talking about this in my other journals?? It's not you or your techniques, just wait and see. Two months later I can assure you that it wasn't me that was making any mistakes.

I forgot to say, when you take clones for the DWC or start a seed please pleaaaase get some rapid rooters! They are so freaking good at starting clones/seeds and the root development is amazing with them. I think starting a healthy seedling is half the battle for what is to come in that grow.

@ligh ter, do you have a journal up so we can come and have a look at your grow, im not sure what you mean by is not ideal but im pretty sure ive spent the time reading and asking questions to find out whats best and whats not, my set up is as good as any other soil set up, maybe a different brand of compost might do me better but i have used 3 different brands all ready and 2 of those where different john innes branded compost so that should be perfect for these plants, bpn is also a top nute and is used by a lot of growers on here and teSmp used it himself, i really cant think of anything that can be off with my grow, if their is anything you think i can improve on then give me a shout and ill give it a try, i dont want to spend 2 or 3 months veggin with soil when i cen veg for 30days and get the same results with hydro.

but if you can go over what i got and tell me what i need to do to change things to increase the yields then ill give it a try, im open to all suggestions and ideas, i chose soil as it was what i had used before, it was easy to set up and i could get what i needed and be up and running, i knew nothing about hydro or ph or ppm so gave soil a go, i got a ph tester but not a ppm but will need one for hydro so will order one once these plants are nearly finished, but i have got plants in veg now under glr lighting schedule so if you have any advice on what i can do to increase yield from these plants under the same time limit then let me know and ill give it a try,

im using bpn and wont try anything else till it runs out,
my lights are running on glr for veg and im using 400watt dual spec hps at 55,000 lumins
my temps are spot on
humidity is spot on also
walls are lined with mylar
light is 1ft aways from the tops of all the plants as this is the best distance according to the lighting guide.
bpn is mixed at higest guide for the age of the plants and i suffer no over nute or nute lock out
my grow room is close to windows and my fans draw enough air in the room to keep it fresh and keep the air moving.
so im open to any ideas to improve yield on these plants, cuz after these im trying hydro with the same amount of veg time and the same lights, but if i can hit the yields i want say over 3oz per plant with 30day veg grown in soil then id be happy to stick with soil, but ive grown a few plants now and always get roughly the same yield, so if their is anything i can do to boost the yield by an oz or 2 in the same time then i want to try it, i cant think of anything that is out in my set up that would cause a low yield, possibly the veg time but thats about it and i dont really want to change the amount of veg time

@teSmp, thanks mate, yep i sure remember, i have seen bigger plants and bigger yields but these have had a long veg and i dont fancy vegging for 2 or 3 months to get 3+oz, if i thought i was doing something wrong or my plants where not right then id change something to put it right, but i cant think of anything other than the medium thats causing the low yield,

rapid roots on the list then mate, i got the plants in flower to finish off then the plants in veg which are a week or 2 away from going into flower, then when their nearly finished ill plant the seeds for my hydro set up and see what results i get from that, if i can get anything near what you did in the time given then ill be very happy, if i could hit 3oz per plant then that would make me a very happy person indeed,

ill drop you a pm when i come to setting it up mate, i need to get a ppm tester as well, im told a ec tester is the best option as i dont need to work out what the ppm is, but apart from the ec tester and rapid rooters i have got all i need,

i was either going to do a scrog or 4 seperate buckets with an air stone in each and let the plants grow as they are, but i have wanted to give a scrog a try for a while now and hydro, so a combination of 2 should do me nicely, ill drop you a msg when im ready to set it up mate, i may as well finish off what i got growing at the moment and then flip to hydro,

but clearly their are bigger yields with hydro, i say this as my 12-12 from seed hempie got me just under an oz last time and that was with no veg, plus all that had was a res and no air stone, so with an air stone in the res i might of got slightly more, but i think it was 20 something grams from 12-12 from seed, and im only getting around 30g per plant with a 4 week veg grown in soil, so clearly hydro should increase the yield.

but if anyone can tell me how to increase yield without having more veg time then tell me where im going wrong and what i can do to put it right,

But if anyone can tell me how to increase yield without having more veg time then tell me where im going wrong and what i can do to put it right,
Hey donpaul.p :)

All that I can really think of is making the soil as light and fluffy as possible with perlite and vermiculite at a ratio of about 30% perlite 30% vermiculite and 40% soil.

It will give the roots lots of breathing space and the lightness of the soil will make it much easier for the roots to spread out unrestricted by compacted clay like soil. The perlite will also keep a very large amount of air in the soil for the roots to breath which we all know the plants love :) and the vermiculite will hold moisture to prevent the risk of the soil drying out. The lightness of the soil will also help in watering as the water is able to spread through and be absorbed by the mix much easier than just soil because the soil can clump up deep down, get hard and then it can be very difficult for it to absorb water.

I say this as I am an avid gardener in general and I see this problem a lot in potted plants that have only soil in them, It becomes compacted over time due to watering the soil eventually spreads around and fills up all of the air pockets turning the soil dense and the plants cant really breathe and their growth slows, you would think letting the soil dry fully would help get air back into the soil but every time it dries out it becomes much more solid and dense making it much harder to absorb water, usually the entire pot needs to be submerged in water for about a half an hour to actually get the soil at the centre of the pot wet.

I am not debating Hydro or anything as it obviously has higher yields ha ha but if you do want to stick with soil or try to get the most out of it, what I said should help with your yields :)

Hydro works so well because the roots are unrestricted and can grow as large as possible making the plant as large as possible increasing yield, so to increase your yields in soil you have to make the roots as unrestricted as you can and you can do this with lots of perlite and vermiculite :)

I hope this helps somewhat :)

:peace:

TeSmp I am not trying to be a bully. Perhaps the reception did not align with my intention.

Don, soil will not ever have the same yield as hydro with same # day veg. You cant expect that. But, there are ways to grow in soil to get over 1 oz / plant.

Instead of just saying you can, I will show you.

These three sprouted on Aug 5, today is Sept 2. However you calculate it, they have been alive for 28 days or in VEG for 21 days. (First week is seedling stage, and we don't count it to make VEG comparable to clones.)
Crappy quality, sorry. I feel confident that I can get over 1 oz from each. I am wanting 2/plant.

IMG_0225_1_.JPG

@donpaul, you'll get over 3 ounces per plant I promise you that, unless you drop the ball and don't keep everything in the "range" that we've been speaking of. Greenfingers just gave a great summary of why hydro will ALWAYS do better then soil under the same conditions. I've dealt with what he's speaking first hand and it has clearly effected yield. My roots never got anywhere near where they get with hydro, and I did use a good bit of perlite about 40%.

I did 3 2L's and the results were as follows; soil + perlite = 14 grams, perlite + vermiculite = 19 grams, DWC-H = 27 grams.. I attribute the higher yield exactly to what GreenFingers is talking about, bigger unrestricted roots = bigger healthier, higher yielding plants! You can ask all day long in what ways can you improve your soil grows, but why not just switch to hydro and stop worrying about how to make the soil plants better. In the end the hydro is going to win anyways. Like you already said you can increase veg time, make your soil more airy (like GF was saying) and those will increase your yield. Why not just go with something that will allow you to stick with the same veg time, give you more oxygen and no root restriction at all, give your plants water/nutrients 24/7 from day 1. +rep for making the switch dp!

@GF, good read +rep!

@LightTer, I didn't think you meant any disrespect but he's done his HW ever since he started growing again and his environmental conditions are dialed in as much as they need to be to yield some nice bud. I say yield, because he already is growing quality stuff! Very nice plants +rep to you as well :) However, why do something and just shoot for 2 zips??? I just got 8.5 ounces from one plant, one month veg, and 400w HPS.. Unless you don't care about yield but I think we've already discussed the whole taste quality from soil debate here before. And that is, my bud tastes wonderful grown in soil or hydroponically and I don't smoke weed to get a good taste in my mouth! I smoke it for it's benefits.

Well I think you need a new pen then??? I have adjusted mine once in 6 months because it's always spot on. You shouldn't need to spend more then $1 to have enough solution for a grow. You do need pH up/down in soil or hydro IMO.

I never got this answer in any growshop yet or any shop that sells pH pens. I was always told that at least bi-weekly calibrations are needed, but weekly or even more frequent if its used regularly (daily basis?).

Also never seen any calibration solution for $1.

Could you recommend brand for solutions and pen too?

thanks for the advice with the soil and perlite and vermiculite, i have got some plants that need to go into bigger pots so ill pick some up and add it to the mix and see if things improve, all i want to do now is finish off the 4 plants in flower, then i have got another 4 plants in veg under glr and 2 of these need to go into bigger pots, plus the good thing is of these is a clone and the other clone is in a bigger pot all ready, so the clone thats not in a bigger pot ill add some perl and verm to the mix and grow the other clone in that, then i can compare the 2 plants as the grow goes on, but once these are out the way i am switching to hydro for at least 1 grow, ill get all the flowering plants out the way and the ones in veg need another week or 2 then ill flip them to flower as well, so i got a few weeks to get everything sorted for the dwc set up,

so ill give the perlite and verm a try and see if that makes much difference, but looking at teSmp's results i think it can improve things slightly, but i think with soil the only real option is a 2 month veg and bigger plants before flipping to harvest, where as compared to hydro i can do it in half the time, like i said ill get these out the way then ill give dwc a go, if im not happy or have problems that i cant solve then ill go back to soil, but if i get everything ready before i start i should be ok to give it a try, so let me get these plants out the way first and ill give you a shout when im setting up the dwc so i can make sure ive got is set up right, its sounds pretty easy but i dont know enough about ppm yet so i need to read up on that and also get an ec tester. so i can get these while these plants are finishing, then im ready to give it a try.

these 2 hempies i got going are going to give me over an oz per plant, when i did 12-12 from seed in a hempie i ended up with a 2ltr pop bottle size bud and when it was dry i hit 20g, but this time round i give my hempies a week of veg under cfls 24-0, and clearly this week of veg as made a huge difference, plus i lolly popped the hempie last time and this time ive let them grow as is, the one is over 3ft high and the other is over 4ft high, they grew like crazy the first few weeks, but now they have stopped growing up and are filling out, but i can clearly see im going to hit more than an oz per hempie, and this means in 9 weeks ill have got an oz per plant, which is not bad for a hempie,

but i am going to do a side by side hempie grow, i got a collection of seeds and ive picked the seedism big red femenised seeds, i have got 2 of these seeds, so im setting up 2 hempies 12-12 from seed, the one hempie will have the res full of compost so it will be a full compost hempie grow, the other hempie will have the res full of nutrients and an air stone, so it would be a dwc hempie, the level of the res and compost will be the same, everything will be the same apart from the growing medium, so then i can document and see which gives the best results, i wont lolly pop ill just let them grow as is, so ill be setting this up today or tomorrow and will be running them side by side, this will give me the best chance to see the difference, plus its a strain i have not tried before but ive got plenty of seeds now.
so ill be running this hempy test along side my other plants, ill still have room to set up my dwc scrog as well so it wont take me away from the dwc scrog attempt, but it will give me some idea of what the difference is,

I never got this answer in any growshop yet or any shop that sells pH pens. I was always told that at least bi-weekly calibrations are needed, but weekly or even more frequent if its used regularly (daily basis?).

Also never seen any calibration solution for $1.

Could you recommend brand for solutions and pen too?

Well this could mean a few things... 1. your grow shop is trying to up sell you??? 2. I didn't calibrate my meter enough, did it make a difference with my grow, no.. Not at all. To be completely honest I didn't calibrate it once during the entire Sensi Star grow, I ran out of solution and never got more. I buy little packets of calibration solution from the hydro shop and they're always like a $1, sometimes they give them to me for free. I have a cheap $7 pH meter, the yellow one if you eBay pH meter.... Every time I checked it previously it was always set right where I wanted it. I adjusted it one time for +- .1 accuracy. I'm not saying you shouldn't check it but we already let it run through a range of 5.5-6.1 so if it's off .1-.2 then I really think it's going to be fine.. If your pH meter is changing 1.0 or something then I think you need a different one.

@donpaul, that will be cool to watch the side-by-side your doing.. Like I said I did a perlite/vermiculite 2L and a 2L DWC-H with two identical purple kush clones a few months ago.. Started on the same day, took from the same mother, nutes came from the same jug throughout the grow, and obviously the environment was identical since it was in the same tent. The differences were unmistakable, and the P/V mix is even better then soil in my opinion. The bud in my avatar was the hydro one, which actually was only half of it and was 27 grams, the perlite/vermiculite one was 19 grams.

I didn't even think about it until right now but my 2L DWC-H was 2.5x times taller then the 2L hempie, just like your experiencing with your 2L's right now. And it yielded 30% more! I think the differences will be even bigger on your experiment.

Hey TeSmp do you mean that for your soil grows you were only using 2L pots ?

No.... 3 gallon pots for soil and 5 gallon my first time. I did do one 2L in soil though, Giesel Diesel. It turned out nicely. I also did a perlite/vermiculite 2L and a DWC 2L... (2L = soda bottle)

No.... 3 gallon pots for soil and 5 gallon my first time. I did do one 2L in soil though, Giesel Diesel. It turned out nicely. I also did a perlite/vermiculite 2L and a DWC 2L... (2L = soda bottle)

Oh interesting, I'm using 3 gallon pots at the moment, what were the yields in comparison between the 5 gal 3 gal and the 2L ?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the smaller one yielded in comparison because I am thinking of doing a SOG for my next grow to best utilise the space :)

I was thinking about using 10 X 1.5 gallon pots so it would be ten plants with an average yield of ( I have no idea ha ha ) in comparison to the 2 X 3 gallon pots I have at the moment with 2 big plants. The set up with 10 plants would have to yield more wouldn't it ? ha ha Seen as you have experience in the matter I thought I would ask you :)

Thanks for your help

Oh interesting, I'm using 3 gallon pots at the moment, what were the yields in comparison between the 5 gal 3 gal and the 2L ?

I'm just trying to get an idea of what the smaller one yielded in comparison because I am thinking of doing a SOG for my next grow to best utilise the space :)

I was thinking about using 10 X 1.5 gallon pots so it would be ten plants with an average yield of ( I have no idea ha ha ) in comparison to the 2 X 3 gallon pots I have at the moment with 2 big plants. The set up with 10 plants would have to yield more wouldn't it ? ha ha Seen as you have experience in the matter I thought I would ask you :)

Thanks for your help

Coool Cool... Well here is how it went...

2 plants (grapefruit) / 1.5 month veg / 5 gallon pot / soil = 2.5 ounces each

2 plants (white widow) / 3 weeks veg / 3 gallon pot / soil/perlite = 1.5 ounces each

1 plant (giesel diesel) / 0 veg / 2L bottle / soil/perlite = .5 ounce

1 plant (Purple Kush) / 0 veg / 2L bottle / Perlite/vermiculite = .67 ounces

1 plant (Purple Kush) / 0 veg / 2L bottle / 2L DWC-Hydro = .96 ounces

1 plant (Critical Sensi Star) / 1 month veg / 5 gallon DWC / 8.5 ounces

You can clearly see where I'll be doing my future grows, and that will just be in a DWC... However, if I were to recommend any of these for a SOG it would be:

10 x 2L bottles / DWC-H each with their own air stone / 1 week veg / lollipop... You would be looking at 8-10 ounces in 8-10 weeks. However, your taking the risk of having 10 plants plus a mother and possibly other clones you are starting. I just got that same yield with one plant in the same time constraint.

no the hempies are grown in 2ltr pots, teSmp did some hempies as well as normal plants in normal size pots, the 2ltr hempies are basically a 12-12 from seed or clone and most growers lolly pop them so you end up with 1 big bud, so these 2ltr are normally done in a sog style grow, but i do them as its an 8 week turn around which means i can sample the buds sooner and if i like them then the cuttings i took from the hempies will be grown out and placed in 3 or 5 gallon pots, so the hempies are something im doing along side my normal plants,

@teSmp, ill be setting up this test some time tomorrow, ill document it from start to finish with pictures, might even do a new journal and call it hempie experiment dwc vs soil, and then we can all see the difference, as mentioned the nutes will be mixed in a batch so both plants will get the same strength nutes, they will be next to each other in the grow room so temps,rh,lights etc etc will be totally the same, and ill leave them to grow as they are, that way their wont be any discrepancy when it comes to the final results, for instance if i lolly pop the one and do the other but dont get it the same then the results would be off, so ill plant the seeds and they will go in the flower room under 12-12 from the start to finish, and then we should all see the difference and compare the yield from the plants, so ill post a msg tomorrow once i got it set up and got the seeds planted, i wont be soaking the seeds they will go strait into the growing medium and will go strait under the lights, i find they sprout a lot quicker in the medium than the do in kitchen roll.

ill make sure both seeds are planted to the same depth, so they should be pretty close when they break out the soil, if anything they will be a day difference at the most, if only 1 grows then ill get another 2 seeds from the same batch and have another try, but i have never had any issues with seeds from herbies, 100% grow so i am not worried about them not sprouting,

so in the morning ill cut up another 2 x 2ltr pop bottles and make sure the res is the same size in both, then ill make sure the soil level will be at the same height as the dwc level, the bottles will be same height,
so in bottle one ill have soil which the roots can grow in
in the other bottle ill have a medium in the top to start the seed off in but then as soon as i see roots in the top piece ill fill with nute mixture at full strength and then the test can begin, i can then compare the full grow side by side, i can compare the yield and i can compare the bud quality, i cant do any fairer than that,
than if the soil wins and gives me the most yield then its clear ill stick with growing in soil, but if the dwc grows faster and gives me more bud at the end then ill go with the dwc set up, clearly if i can keep the veg time down by using dwc then that can only be a good thing, it means less lights used, less nutes used,
so tomorrow the experiment begins, so ill either make a new journal or post it in my journal so everyone can see the difference, if i take pictures every 4 or 5 days then everyone can see whats going on and which produces the best results

off my last lolly popped hempie i got 20g dry, and that was a couple of days over 8 weeks, im not sure if it would of given me a bigger yield if i let it grow with no lolly popping, who knows, anyway 1 x 2ltr hempie under 12-12 from seed got me 20g, now im not sure how this will compare to clones, i say this as seeds need to reach maturity before going to flower, so a clone in a hempie would need some veg time before flipping to 12-12, but clones would be the way to go else you would need a load of fem seeds or plant double what you wanted so you dont end up with a load of males,
anyway this is how it worked for me
1 x 2ltr dwc hempie 12-12 from seed =20g dry
10 x 2ltr dwc hempie 12-12 from seed =200g dry, now i did not do 10 but im just showing whats possible from seed, so you would get 200g every 8 weeks, or you could work it so you staggered the harvest, so you could plant 5 then wait 4 weeks then plant the other 5, if you kept this up you would have a harvest every 4 weeks after the first 8 weeks grow, its a great return in the time given, i could get around 100 hempies in my grow space, if i didnt worry about the risk then id give it a go, but 100 plants is still 100 plants no matter how small they are, so the risk is huge due to the high plant numbers, but i can do a couple of hempies along side my normal grow so i then end up with regular harvests to ensure ive got bud to smoke.

now im hoping the the dwc setup will allow me to harvest less often, this means ill be harvesting more but less often, which lowers the risk even further, as it means i can have less plants, and can even have a break between grows, where as now im doing constant veg and flower rotation so i am harvesting a plant every few weeks, such as the hempies, the autos and i staggered when i planted my seeds so the last 3 plants i harvested i did about a week apart, but if i can find a strain i like then give dwc scrog a go and get a good yield, this would certainly keep costs down more than they are now, and should get me the yields im looking which means less plants growing at the same time, its a win win situation really, but this hempie test will show for sure which way i want to go,

Back
Top Bottom